It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

orcishgamer: Why not? Alice is old as hell now. And Alice 2 has been on deep discount so many times it's normal price just ought to be the sale price.
Because EA made the original Alice an Origin exclusive on PC. Well, the rerelease. Only people who preordered the game on Origin got it. Everyone else got screwed.
orcishgamer: Why not? Alice is old as hell now. And Alice 2 has been on deep discount so many times it's normal price just ought to be the sale price.
Foxhack: Because EA made the original Alice an Origin exclusive on PC. Well, the rerelease. Only people who preordered the game on Origin got it. Everyone else got screwed.
Everyone on XBox 360 got it, though you need your Alice 2 disc to play it. I guess I'm just happy I have my old boxed copy.

Regardless, it's old and by itself, once it's available, won't be worth a large price tag. 9.99 USD for the two game is the low side of reasonable, since EA seems content to give Alice away for free as a carrot, anyway.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by orcishgamer
Alice 2 uses PhysX from what I have read .. and PhysX doesn't seem to work on my computer (SQUARE FIRE in Legendary) ... I myself won't risk buying another PHYSX needed game until I get a computer that would run it ... and I guess that means one with a Nvidea Graphics card ... :(
BUT I have ALICE 1 for the mac and it is very atmospheric and I like it ... my good emacs both died ... and had to replace them with a Walmart emachine :(

or am I wrong and there IS a way to force PhysX or a workaround to get better graphics that rely on it if you can't use it ???

SQUARE FIRE=no fun
Post edited July 07, 2012 by Simbabluenobi
Simbabluenobi: Alice 2 uses PhysX from what I have read .. and PhysX doesn't seem to work on my computer (SQUARE FIRE in Legendary) ... I myself won't risk buying another PHYSX needed game until I get a computer that would run it ... and I guess that means one with a Nvidea Graphics card ... :(
BUT I have ALICE 1 for the mac and it is very atmospheric and I like it ... my good emacs both died ... and had to replace them with a Walmart emachine :(

or am I wrong and there IS a way to force PhysX or a workaround to get better graphics that rely on it if you can't use it ???

SQUARE FIRE=no fun
Hold on there, you are a bit confused about Physx. Physx is a physics engine, just like Havok. A lot of games use Physx, even on consoles, and you have probably played at least one Physx-powered title on your PC.

Physx works perfectly well on a CPU, and this is why even consoles can handle it. If it were GPU-only, then both consoles wouldnt be able to handle it. However, there are a few titles on PC that provide Physx GPU-support, this way its possible to use the huge processing power of GPUs to get some other cool effects not available when running Physx only on CPU. I think this is where you are mixing up things. Unless your PC is really, REALLY old, it can handle Physx-powered games just fine. Maybe it just cant handle Physx effects that rely on GPU power, thats all.

And unless you have either a high end nvidia GPU or a spare nvidia GPU to use exclusively for Physx, then you really will not be able to turn Physx on high on the games that support GPU-accelerated Physx. Even high end nvidia video cards may take huge performance hits when setting Physx on high (because they have to do 2 things at the same time", generate the graphics and calculate physics effects). So the best option would be to tuse a discrete nvidia card along with the main video card. Not worth it in my opinion.

To be honest, i dont give a flying fuck about these GPU-enabled Physx effects and i do have an nvidia GPU (GTX680). Theyre cool and all but nothing that really changes gameplay. It is just a marketing gimmick by nvidia (a failed one).

Anyway, you can find more information about Physx on Alice on the following link. Theres even a comparison video.
http://physxinfo.com/news/5883/gpu-physx-in-alice-madness-returns/

By the way there really is no workaround for this. If you want to set Physx to high on GPU-accelerated Physx games, you will pretty much need a spare nvidia card just for that. Physx uses CUDA, which is only supported by nvidia cards.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by Neobr10
bobo797: Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes for $3.75 on gamefly. Registers on steam.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Might-and-Magic-Clash-of-Heroes/158075/
Artki: Thanks. I've been mulling that one for awhile. under 4 sounds good.
----------

BTW, how do you tell that it's a steam key? The gamefly site says 3rd party download which I ASSUME means it's a steam key but they don't spell it out. Or did you buy it and get a steam key?
Sorry, yeah I bought it and was able to register the key no problem.
Physx would not be causing square fire. That is some other issues you're having with Legendary or your graphics card.
StingingVelvet: Alice Madness Returns is on amazon for $5... totally worth it if you like platforming.
orcishgamer: I didn't like it (thought it drug on) but for 5 USD seeing the pretty environments is probably worth it. Did you need a gamepad on PC? I played on XBox 360 and I can't see it being very pleasant without a pad.
I played through Madness Returns with mouse and keyboard. I was a little annoyed they didn't give me a way to walk (running everywhere breaks immersion for me) but otherwise it felt fine. It's much easier than Oni and Darksiders and probably about as difficult as Jedi Academy.

Madness Returns is a must play if you liked American McGee's Alice. Just be aware that individual levels can take multiple hours to complete and probably shouldn't be completed in a single sitting.
dyscode: But Boy (or girl) I tell you: the combat Mechanics are so spot on, as I have rarely seen in other games. IMHO if you fail, you feels it's your fault and not the engine's.
So I guess the combat is the deal breaker. Either you love it instantly or you hate the game, because there will only little bit else besides combat.
grviper: It tries to be Devil May Cry. Doesn't have enough tricky moves and enemy variety for it, but it tries. Even those optional challenge rooms area accounted for.
Madness Returns plays nothing like DMC. It's not based on combos at all. The combat struck me as being more similar to Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The game seemed about 50/50 combat and platforming to me.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by Snickersnack
StingingVelvet: It does get repetitive and the combat is merely average. I didn't even finish the game, got close to the end but not quite. Still it's WELL worth $5.

And yeah I used a gamepad... I think a gamepad is as essential to PC gaming as a video card and people who refuse to use them for platformers, racing games and other such things BAFFLE me.
orcishgamer: I think they've preached that mouse and keyboard is superior for so long, in order to somehow "one-up" the console players, they forget that that has never been 100% the case.
Many gamepad fans will dismiss M&KB for platformers and independent camera 3rd person games without even bothering to spend a few minutes to test the controls. ;)

A M&KB fanatic may have built up a lot of dexterity and muscle memory that allows them to succeed with such controls where the average person may not.
Max Payne 3, 30% off on GG, costs 34.99 euros:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MP3/max-payne-3?caff=5969452
entire The Guild collection 80% off at GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-GUILD/the-guild-complete-collection-bundle

now i have to ask again, and i'm not particularly optimistic: are the games multilingual, as in do they come with German language as well?

they ARE multilingual on DotEmu and Steam. but GamersGate has the bad habit of never stating the included languages. does anybody know?
Fred_DM: entire The Guild collection 80% off at GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-GUILD/the-guild-complete-collection-bundle

now i have to ask again, and i'm not particularly optimistic: are the games multilingual, as in do they come with German language as well?

they ARE multilingual on DotEmu and Steam. but GamersGate has the bad habit of never stating the included languages. does anybody know?
The Guild II Renaissance -- the last game mentions German.

Language: English, German, French, Italian and Spanish

No clue about the other games.
Anyone know if the Alice keys from Amazon work internationally?

edit: Is the Amazon sale page broken for anyone else? I only see a single row of games now.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by deadfolk
deadfolk: Anyone know if the Alice keys from Amazon work internationally?

edit: Is the Amazon sale page broken for anyone else? I only see a single row of games now.
I recently got Dragon Age from Amazon.com and it activated fine on Origin and some other stuff I bought in Japan, too.
That said I cannot CONFIRM that Alice MR from Amazon also works as flawless.
The page looks fine to me.

Still pondering if Mass Effect 3 is worth $31 (I still have a $5 Gift card).
Post edited July 07, 2012 by dyscode
dyscode: Still pondering if Mass Effect 3 is worth $31 (I still have a $5 Gift card).
If you liked ME 2 than yes. If you didn't like ME 2 than probably no.
deadfolk: Anyone know if the Alice keys from Amazon work internationally?
I've never seen an Amazon key that couldn't be redeemed internationally.
Post edited July 07, 2012 by SimonG
Does anyone have an opinion on the Guild collection on gamersgate?

I have enough blue coins to pick this up today for free, although I have the original game here on GoG. Haven't played it yet, though.