It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Has anyone gotten shogun 1 on GG? I am wondering if it works with modern os fine.
kiva: Has anyone gotten shogun 1 on GG? I am wondering if it works with modern os fine.
I couldn't make it run for more than few min without collapsing, under Vista 64. When I moved it to my netbook with Windows XP 32, it worked fine for hours and hours.
I am pretty sure that's the norm with this game.
kiva: Has anyone gotten shogun 1 on GG? I am wondering if it works with modern os fine.
trusteft: I couldn't make it run for more than few min without collapsing, under Vista 64. When I moved it to my netbook with Windows XP 32, it worked fine for hours and hours.
Thanks I have W7 but i think ill pass, it probably will give problems too.
trusteft: I couldn't make it run for more than few min without collapsing, under Vista 64. When I moved it to my netbook with Windows XP 32, it worked fine for hours and hours.
kiva: Thanks I have W7 but i think ill pass, it probably will give problems too.
Doesn't W7 have XP mode? It might work fine under that.
kiva: Thanks I have W7 but i think ill pass, it probably will give problems too.
trusteft: Doesn't W7 have XP mode? It might work fine under that.
Win 7 ultimate has an xp vmachine mode, with no support for directdraw rendering it useless for gaming.
CymTyr: Win 7 ultimate has an xp vmachine mode, with no support for directdraw rendering it useless for gaming.
I haven't played it in a while, but, doesn't Shogun support software rendering?
CymTyr: Win 7 ultimate has an xp vmachine mode, with no support for directdraw rendering it useless for gaming.
trusteft: I haven't played it in a while, but, doesn't Shogun support software rendering?
I have a feeling that a VM wouldn't be fast enough for software rendering in a game from 2000.
My older Vista Laptop with Nvidea 8700m graphics card had major issues with the disk based original versions of Shogun Total War Gold and Medieval Total War Gold. I could not get them to work.

I just got a new Asus All-in-one with Win 7 and ATI Radeon HD6470m graphics .I also bought the GG version of STW Gold and thought I would give it a try. Boy howdy it worked! I then tried my disk version of MTW Gold and it worked, also.

So bottom line: ATI = YES and NVidia = NO.
dnoelsmith: My older Vista Laptop with Nvidea 8700m graphics card had major issues with the disk based original versions of Shogun Total War Gold and Medieval Total War Gold. I could not get them to work.

I just got a new Asus All-in-one with Win 7 and ATI Radeon HD6470m graphics .I also bought the GG version of STW Gold and thought I would give it a try. Boy howdy it worked! I then tried my disk version of MTW Gold and it worked, also.

How much did you play Shogun? Because the game would load and run just fine. The problem appears down the line. Not immediately.
One of the many problems with a proprietary scheme being used for hardware calls like DirectX.
GameRager: One of the many problems with a proprietary scheme being used for hardware calls like DirectX.
And if the game used OpenGL it would have been fine?
GameRager: One of the many problems with a proprietary scheme being used for hardware calls like DirectX.
KavazovAngel: And if the game used OpenGL it would have been fine?
Correct. No hardware acceleration is supported in the XP virtual machine.
KavazovAngel: And if the game used OpenGL it would have been fine?
CymTyr: Correct. No hardware acceleration is supported in the XP virtual machine.
We're going off topic, but, disable integration features.
dnoelsmith: My older Vista Laptop with Nvidea 8700m graphics card had major issues with the disk based original versions of Shogun Total War Gold and Medieval Total War Gold. I could not get them to work.

trusteft: How much did you play Shogun? Because the game would load and run just fine. The problem appears down the line. Not immediately.
This is getting a bit off topic but the answer is: a couple of hours...the tutorials, mainly. I guess it's possible an error could happen after the amount of time I played, I did do the MSCONFIG memory workaround found here:
[url=]http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/72041/Changing-Graphics--Shogun-Total-War---real-true-Total-War-Fa?page=2[/url]. STW menu'sdo flicker occasionally but the main game screens do not. MTW displays perfectly with the work-around. I wish there was an easier method instead of re-booting, but, Hey, it works!

Any further discussion should take place in the Win 7 Compatibility thread.

Thanks.
Post edited July 24, 2011 by dnoelsmith
D2D's daly deals today on the US site:

http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/summer-sale/

Includes:

Rift ($19.95 regular, $24.95 CE)
Sid Meier's Railroads! $7.95
Hydrophobia: Prophecy $4.75