It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This should probably be a sticky thread until the issue is resolved.

OS X users be advised that the OS X 10.11 El Capitan will break a number of games distributed by GOG, specifically those which rely on Wine to function. This includes games such as Nox, Planescape: Torment, and many others.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is set to be released on the 30th of September*.

The breakage is due to WineSkin being incompatible with a new security feature Apple introduced called System Integrity Protection (this feature is also sometimes referred to as rootless).

A bug report has been filed with GOG.com to make them aware of the issue.
http://mantis.gog.com/view.php?id=3529

As a workaround, you can disable the System Integrity Protection feature.
Instructions are readily available using your web search engine of choice, as this lower overall system security I am personally hesitant to instruct users on how to do this.

* Users on who participate in Apple's Public Beta program for OS X have already been offered access to the 10.11 release which will arrive to the general public on the 30th of September. Additionally the first beta for the post-release 10.11.1 update was released for testing.
Post edited September 25, 2015 by DavidNielsen
thank you for report. if you disable System Integrity Protection everything works again?
can you post the instruction to do it? it's really important to do that if we cannot play any wineskin games.
Are you sure that its not just the wrapper or engine thats outdated? My WS ports all seem to run normally?

EDIT: Odd, i checked through my ports and all are working (mainly selfmade, some gog) but when i try to make a new wrapper i get some X11 errors, so it seems theres indeed something wrong at the moment, no idea why my ports all work though....
Post edited September 25, 2015 by ignisferroque
Just for you to know, I've found a fast and good guide to disable SIP
http://www.macbartender.com/system-item-setup/
As long as Apple provides a readily accessible user-friendly way to disable SIP, it shouldn't be any more of a nuisance than Gatekeeper on OS X. At least there's terminal commands available to do it, though I definitely see a whole bunch of third-party utiltiies to help do that.

As for X11 issues, there's a persistent (and still unresolved) bug in Wineskin that may/may not break WS wrappers that have the Native Mac Driver enabled...though no one's really sure if it's an issue with Wineskin, or the system's own X11. For a while X11 was broken with Wineskin with the Native Mac Driver enabled on my system, until updating with the latest 10.10.x update fixed it, apparently.
Post edited September 25, 2015 by rampancy
Wineskin has now been patched and from my own testing appears fixed now with 2.6.1.

For existing self-made wrappers you also have to update the engine - even if to the same one as before to get them running.

Will GOG now patch their titles and issue updates via Galaxy or do we need to fix manually?
mwine: Will GOG now patch their titles and issue updates via Galaxy or do we need to fix manually?
Via the website and Galaxy. Depending on the amount of testing and what order the tackle the games it may be some time before they fix the title you are waiting for. Certainly faster to do it yourself.
mwine: Will GOG now patch their titles and issue updates via Galaxy or do we need to fix manually?
Gydion: Via the website and Galaxy. Depending on the amount of testing and what order the tackle the games it may be some time before they fix the title you are waiting for. Certainly faster to do it yourself.
Not really clear on you to update this myself. Is it a game to game basis then or updating Wine? Seeing as how this is a major issue it would be great to know how to do this.
Gydion: Via the website and Galaxy. Depending on the amount of testing and what order the tackle the games it may be some time before they fix the title you are waiting for. Certainly faster to do it yourself.
brokejumper: Not really clear on you to update this myself. Is it a game to game basis then or updating Wine? Seeing as how this is a major issue it would be great to know how to do this.
All Wine wrapped Mac releases on GOG use Wineskin. It's in the top level folder of each .app (Right-click - Show Package Contents). You would need to download 2.6.1, update the wrapper in the game .app, and reinstall the engine. Don't actually have El Capitan though. If GOG is using a custom engine then you may not be able to automatically reinstall it. You could always try a different engine though.
Post edited October 13, 2015 by Gydion
SS2 Fixed under OS X 10.11.0

1. Download Wineskin Winery 1.7

2. Open Wineskin Winery and hit update, (below Wrapper Version) should download latest "wrapper "2.6.1 automatically.

3. Wineskin Winery hit the + "New Engines(s) available" and install a new Engine from the dropdown menu, I chose the latest 1.7.51

4. Open System Shock 2 Show Package Contents (right click), open Wineskin, open Advanced, open Tools Update Wrapper. Now Change Engine used to 1.7.51

5. System Shock 2 should now run on OS X 10.11.0

6. Attached is what you want Wineskin Advanced to look like after the updates with latest Wrapper & Engine versions displayed. With this method Apple`s security enhancements (SIP) is not disabled.

Q-6
Attachments:
It's also worth pointing out that, in addition to Wineskin updated to 2.6.1 for El Capitan compatibility, the Porting Kit (from PaulTheTall and the main developer behind Wineskin) has also been recently updated for 10.11, as has CrossOver. I don't know if PlayOnMac (the Mac version of PlayOnLinux) has been fixed yet.
DavidNielsen: This should probably be a sticky thread until the issue is resolved.

OS X users be advised that the OS X 10.11 El Capitan will break a number of games distributed by GOG, specifically those which rely on Wine to function. This includes games such as Nox, Planescape: Torment, and many others.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan is set to be released on the 30th of September*.

The breakage is due to WineSkin being incompatible with a new security feature Apple introduced called System Integrity Protection (this feature is also sometimes referred to as rootless).

A bug report has been filed with GOG.com to make them aware of the issue.
http://mantis.gog.com/view.php?id=3529

As a workaround, you can disable the System Integrity Protection feature.
Instructions are readily available using your web search engine of choice, as this lower overall system security I am personally hesitant to instruct users on how to do this.

* Users on who participate in Apple's Public Beta program for OS X have already been offered access to the 10.11 release which will arrive to the general public on the 30th of September. Additionally the first beta for the post-release 10.11.1 update was released for testing.
Are we able to play games under 10.11.1? with SIP?
Basically yes. The original way to do so was to disable SIP entirely. To keep SIP enabled, you have to update your existing Wineskin-based games to the 2.6.1 wrapper. There are instructions to do that here:

http://paulthetall.com/video-tutorial-how-to-make-your-old-wineskin-wrappers-compatible-with-osx-10-11-el-capitan/
I was about to comment that thankfully this isn't the iOS which won't let you downgrade, but since it's Apple... i couldn't say. (Not to mention how much each version of the iOS breaks almost all software that it's utterly impractical)

As such i'll just hope that a simple fix or update in WINE will allow compatibility to resume. If not, well it might be time to pester Apple/Microsoft for better support...
rtcvb32: I was about to comment that thankfully this isn't the iOS which won't let you downgrade, but since it's Apple... i couldn't say. (Not to mention how much each version of the iOS breaks almost all software that it's utterly impractical)

As such i'll just hope that a simple fix or update in WINE will allow compatibility to resume. If not, well it might be time to pester Apple/Microsoft for better support...
From my understanding, the issue isn't specifically with WINE per se, but its with WINE's usage of X11 for graphics on OS X. In any case, it's a somewhat moot point as the main three end-user-friendly implementations of WINE on Mac OS X -- CrossOver, Porting Kit/Wineskin, and PlayOnMac -- all have been updated to work on El Capitan for a while now.

It's all on GOG now to release updated Wineskin wrappers for their WINE-based OS X games -- on paper it should be easy, as the 2.6.1 wrapper update has been out for a while now, and thanks to Galaxy it should be even easier to ensure that those games are updated quickly and easily. (And you are using Galaxy, right? Because everyone knows how awesome and wonderful Galaxy is*...) In practice I suspect it would be harder, as GOG would conceivably have to QA test all of their Wineskin-based games with the 2.6.1 wrapper against 10.11 on their test Macs in their compatibility lab.

*/sarcasm