It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fairfox: its such backwards processin' on their part; their synapses arent all firin'
i just read it as: i am scared of teh internet an' even though i could be makin' m̶u̶c̶h̶ more $$$ for my pet bills i cant be assed
rjbuffchix: Come on, this is childish. It's more complex than you folks are making it.

Taking the third party developer Catacomber at her word, and the main game developer RedShift at his word, it's not looking likely for us to get any of the third party expansions to the game here. I explain why I think this is below. Keep in mind right off the top Catacomber specifically said they did not see themselves selling on GOG because GOG is DRM-free. Catacomber was cordial and took the time to post here, though I too was unsatisfied with the answers.

The way I understand how things are laid out, Catacomber is the developer of third party expansions, which are put out under the Zarista Games banner, all of which is a separate entity from RedShift. RedShift makes the main The Quest game as well as the particular DLC that is available here on GOG, but the third party expansions are better thought of as "paid mods" rather than official content.

Catacomber has her own basic site with a forum type layout but the third party expansions themselves are sold on Scheme or on the separate Zarista games site (on which not all of them are compatible even with the Scheme version since they originally started with mobile version expansions). Zarista Games site is someone else's, not Catacomber's. Per Catacomber's post, that other person is busy and doesn't really maintain the Zarista games site.

So, while we see other developers sell games DRM-free and direct from their own sites (like Din's Legacy), this does not appear feasible currently for Catacomber since they don't comfortably have a site to do that on (? This is at least how I understand it). On top of that, Catacomber does not want to use PayPal like other developers. I think because it reveals first/last name in the transactions, at least that's how I took their post to mean it in the game forum.

Meanwhile, RedShift apparently is not agreeable to selling the third party expansions under RedShift's own banner. I think the reason they and Catacomber have said so much about how there is no Scheme Workshop equivalent on GOG, is because there is not a way for GOG to sell something like a "paid mod" from a third party when the main game has its own developer. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this point.

I think the only way those third party expansions could come here DRM-free is if both Catacomber becomes agreeable to selling them DRM-free AND RedShift would have a change of heart and sell them under their own RedShift banner. For reasons I don't entirely understand, RedShift apparently refuses to do that, even though they did apparently sell the Catacomber/Zarista stuff under the RedShift banner for mobile originally. That part is baffling.

Anyway, it seems to me that they would both stand to make money by selling the third party expansions under the RedShift banner. Even if all of the expansion money went to the third party developer, this would increase the lifespan of the game so the main developer would also benefit from additional sales of their own. But what do I know, I'm just a fan of DRM-free dungeon-crawling :)

I think The Quest is an ace game and wish both sets of developer well, though I personally refuse to buy any of the Catacomber/Zarista expansions given Catacomber's previously expressed stance regarding being against DRM-free. Again, I have pieced all of this together based on the posts so far; so please correct me if I have anything wrong.
Not just steam, you can get the expansions on iOS as well, and android. The only people that don’t get them are paying gog customers. As you have described, it’s a total mess of a release and no-one is actually happy with it.
Grargar: Here is the quote in question, by Lars Doucet, creator of Defender's Quest:
https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/1062947901314424833
[..]
phaolo: 48h is asking too much.
They should try to keep the updates (DLCs included) like under 10 days, then start with the reminders, followed by warnings after 1 month, and finally remove the game after 3-6 months.
Exceptions and delays would be still acceptable with communication with devs and users.
In most cases 48 hours would not be a problem at all. It does not take more than a few hours at max to create a new build and upload it. I really cannnot see why we should give them months. But it does not matter - most devs are not updating in 48hrs after Steam and nothing happened - so it does not matter how you would set the timeframe as long as there aren't any consequences.
nightcraw1er.488: Not just steam, you can get the expansions on iOS as well, and android. The only people that don’t get them are paying gog customers. As you have described, it’s a total mess of a release and no-one is actually happy with it.
Obviously I don't disagree; I only wanted to point out regarding this particular game/expansions it seems there's a longer chain of events and circumstances that all combine to prevent releasing the third party expansions here. By contrast most other releases don't have so many "moving parts" when it comes to releasing/not releasing here. But yes, the result ends up being the same for us GOGers unfortunately.
Was Catacomber's response in the Quest forum already shared?

(Fairfox shared what seems to be a part of it word-for-word but that was 23 hours ago, whereas Catacomber posted 18 hours ago.)

Anyway, it is what it is, please be respectful.
Post edited March 04, 2020 by tfishell
phaolo: 48h is asking too much.
They should try to keep the updates (DLCs included) like under 10 days, then start with the reminders, followed by warnings after 1 month, and finally remove the game after 3-6 months.
Exceptions and delays would be still acceptable with communication with devs and users.
3-6 months and still allowing exceptions even then makes it meaningless. Unless they're building entirely separate patches, there's little reason for more than those 2 days (assuming working days, at least), except to say that they're moving on to working on the next Steam build right away and leaving the GOG one for later-if-ever. Two weeks should be a real exception, if it's something massive and the inner workings are for some reason very different in the 2 builds. Past that, yeah, withhold payment for a while and eventually remove.
tfishell: Was Catacomber's response in the Quest forum already shared?

(Fairfox shared what seems to be a part of it word-for-word but that was 23 hours ago, whereas Catacomber posted 18 hours ago.)

Anyway, it is what it is, please be respectful.
Thank you for the link. In the end, it's a well thought out response and nice of Catacomber to post it on GOG.
Post edited March 04, 2020 by Aelran
Kyousuke.: Except that you can't, WITHOUT OWNING THE BASE GAME ON STEAM FIRST. I don't know if he is just stupid or outright trolling. If you don't want to deal with GOG be clear about it without resorting to retarded excuses.
Spot on for having to own a base game in the first place. As for him being either stupid or trolling, given what I've read so far, I'd classify as an obnoxious lazy p***k and there he's, got plenty of company.

And he must really enjoy digging bigger holes for himself, and I'd say that the same goes for Elendij he's mentioned:

"GOG was sprung on me before I had any chance to think about it. We have 20 expansions. I can't practically, as one person, keep up with updates emailing people whenever I do an update. Steam works so seamlessly.

GOG people can use the Steam expansions according to Elendil's advice. Just go to his website at redshift.hu and find the GOG Third-Pary extension thread."

Not the fist time I've read Devs whining about expansions being piss easy on Steam but 'hard work' on GOG, could it be because on Steam they go through without being checked and here on Gog, they first go through curation to check they're clean and work?
Post edited March 04, 2020 by Flyingfluffypiglet
Fairfox: its such backwards processin' on their part; their synapses arent all firin'
i just read it as: i am scared of teh internet an' even though i could be makin' m̶u̶c̶h̶ more $$$ for my pet bills i cant be assed
rjbuffchix: Come on, this is childish. It's more complex than you folks are making it.
nah, i was literally just curious. i don't really care that much one way or the other. if they ever show up i'll likely grab them. if not, no big deal. i'm definitely not here to debate or convince people one way or the other. frankly i appreciate her response here on the forums.

and i agree. i quite like the quest as well.
Post edited March 04, 2020 by fortune_p_dawg
Dungeons 3 doesn't have the paid soundtrack DLCs that are available for purchase on Steam.
Kyousuke.: Except that you can't, WITHOUT OWNING THE BASE GAME ON STEAM FIRST. I don't know if he is just stupid or outright trolling. If you don't want to deal with GOG be clear about it without resorting to retarded excuses.
Flyingfluffypiglet: Spot on for having to own a base game in the first place. As for him being either stupid or trolling, given what I've read so far, I'd classify as an obnoxious lazy p***k and there he's, got plenty of company.

And he must really enjoy digging bigger holes for himself, and I'd say that the same goes for Elendij he's mentioned:

"GOG was sprung on me before I had any chance to think about it. We have 20 expansions. I can't practically, as one person, keep up with updates emailing people whenever I do an update. Steam works so seamlessly.

GOG people can use the Steam expansions according to Elendil's advice. Just go to his website at redshift.hu and find the GOG Third-Pary extension thread."

Not the fist time I've read Devs whining about expansions being piss easy on Steam but 'hard work' on GOG, could it be because on Steam they go through without being checked and here on Gog, they first go through curation to check they're clean and work?
I strongly doubt GOG checks every single patch thoroughly to see if they are "clean and work", I certainly prefer a more curated library of games, but once a game is in, pushing updates or releasing new content should be as painless as possible for the developer.
onarum: I strongly doubt GOG checks every single patch thoroughly to see if they are "clean and work", I certainly prefer a more curated library of games, but once a game is in, pushing updates or releasing new content should be as painless as possible for the developer.
yup
steam doesn't check it eighter why would they, nobody has the manpower for this
steam is horrible how everything can appear there flooding the store

isnt it just a packer ? they pack their files upload it to gog server log it in their page and done?
onarum: I strongly doubt GOG checks every single patch thoroughly to see if they are "clean and work", I certainly prefer a more curated library of games, but once a game is in, pushing updates or releasing new content should be as painless as possible for the developer.
Only Gog has the answer as to the level/extend of checking, but it sure is unlike how this works on Steam since they can just upload and push those through whatever themselves. One thing to not loose sight of though here is when some game's updates which are supposed to fix bugs, do create more bugs in the process. Since Devs are rarely active here, any of update problems here means that it's Gog's support getting flooded because of a buggy update or whatever.

At the end of the day any Devs/Publishers putting their games here have a duty to provide any patches here too, and in a timely fashion since they are essential to better gameplay. And if all did that (not to mention DLCs), then this thread wouldn't have any reason to exist in the first place.
Flyingfluffypiglet: Only Gog has the answer as to the level/extend of checking, but it sure is unlike how this works on Steam since they can just upload and push those through whatever themselves. One thing to not loose sight of though here is when some game's updates which are supposed to fix bugs, do create more bugs in the process. Since Devs are rarely active here, any of update problems here means that it's Gog's support getting flooded because of a buggy update or whatever.

At the end of the day any Devs/Publishers putting their games here have a duty to provide any patches here too, and in a timely fashion since they are essential to better gameplay. And if all did that (not to mention DLCs), then this thread wouldn't have any reason to exist in the first place.
Yes, and it should be forced in some way or another. If GoG lets it be a second class store then why should we buy stuff here?
Orkhepaj: Yes, and it should be forced in some way or another. If GoG lets it be a second class store then why should we buy stuff here?
Indeed. Not in the know as to what is going on in the updates -and lack of- department, but found again an older thread discussing updates where both a Dev and Gog member of staff (page 2) were exchanging on this, if anyone's interested.

https://www.gog.com/forum/project_zomboid/project_zomboid_build_39_was_released_any_news_on_when_gog_will_get_updated

But there's much more recent reading out there where Devs clearly bulk at providing contents and updates here, for whatever reason they decide to come up with.
It is, or at least the developer for Streets of Rogue says it's "very, very easy to make updates on GOG".
Post edited March 04, 2020 by eric5h5