It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
So it seems that GOG specifically has a clause in contracts requiring devs to push their updates within 48 hours of updating their game on Steam. And because of this clause, some devs refuse to release on GOG:
https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/1062947901314424833
Post edited November 16, 2018 by SCPM
I think it's a good thing, if they can't or don't want to honor this clause, better not have them on GOG.
However it remains unexplained then why some developers get away with it.
Alexim: I think it's a good thing, if they can't or don't want to honor this clause, better not have them on GOG.
However it remains unexplained then why some developers get away with it.
Absolutely. Should have also applied for those who disagreed with other (original) GOG demands...
Question is what the enforcement is, what the penalties are.
SCPM: So it seems that GOG specifically has a clause in contracts requiring devs to push their updates within 48 hours of updating their game on Steam. And because of this clause, some devs refuse to release on GOG:
One of his Tweets:

"The end result of this is a Steam copy of the average game is more valuable to most players, because it represents the most likely version to receive any and all future updates. That's a heck of a moat to swim."

That's the one I always wrestle with personally... cause what good is a DRM-free game if it's out of date (of which we all have many of on GOG that will never get updated)?
SCPM: So it seems that GOG specifically has a clause in contracts requiring devs to push their updates within 48 hours of updating their game on Steam. And because of this clause, some devs refuse to release on GOG:
I wished for such clause since years, but 48h seems a bit too low..
I'd be ok even with 1 week.
Post edited November 16, 2018 by phaolo
omega64:
joppo: Dates should be converted from their relative to absolute formats to avoid these problems. The Bard's Tale "updated to Remastered and Resnarkled Edition on Steam more than two months ago" was changed to "a year ago" but soon it will be out of date again. If you keep relative dates they will always become outdated as time goes by.
I am the one who reported this missing update in the old thread months ago: fronzelneekburm has simply copied and pasted my post, hence the relative format of the date. To be more precise the Remastered and Resnarkled Edition was released on Steam on 2017 October 26.
joppo: Dates should be converted from their relative to absolute formats to avoid these problems. The Bard's Tale "updated to Remastered and Resnarkled Edition on Steam more than two months ago" was changed to "a year ago" but soon it will be out of date again. If you keep relative dates they will always become outdated as time goes by.
dr.schliemann: I am the one who reported this missing update in the old thread months ago: fronzelneekburm has simply copied and pasted my post, hence the relative format of the date. To be more precise the Remastered and Resnarkled Edition was released on Steam on 2017 October 26.
The worst thing about this game is The Humble Store has a DRM-free version in the Trove section, so all inXile would have to do is literally take that zip file and send it to GOG... done. But I’ve mentioned that on their forums along with many other people constantly asking and they either don’t care or are too busy swimming in that pool of MS money to bother ;)
dr.schliemann: I am the one who reported this missing update in the old thread months ago: fronzelneekburm has simply copied and pasted my post, hence the relative format of the date. To be more precise the Remastered and Resnarkled Edition was released on Steam on 2017 October 26.
Mawthra: The worst thing about this game is The Humble Store has a DRM-free version in the Trove section, so all inXile would have to do is literally take that zip file and send it to GOG... done. But I’ve mentioned that on their forums along with many other people constantly asking and they either don’t care or are too busy swimming in that pool of MS money to bother ;)
From my understanding, GOG demands more than a zip.
kohlrak: From my understanding, GOG demands more than a zip.
Point being... the work of actually making the build is already done, hard part is over
kohlrak: From my understanding, GOG demands more than a zip.
Mawthra: Point being... the work of actually making the build is already done, hard part is over
True, but i'm a bit concerned about what we don't know about gog's update process. Still, they sell here, they should either be trying or telling us why it's not happening.
Mawthra: Point being... the work of actually making the build is already done, hard part is over
kohlrak: True, but i'm a bit concerned about what we don't know about gog's update process. Still, they sell here, they should either be trying or telling us why it's not happening.
When the version on Steam was updated, there wasn't much fanfare at all other than a post in the games News section... I just noticed it at random in my library when the tile artwork was updated along with the title in my library and that was it

Anyway, this is the thread that I keep reviving where inXile has acutally chimed in on a few times if you wanna sift throught it (If you haven't already)... maybe join in ;)

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18614
kohlrak: True, but i'm a bit concerned about what we don't know about gog's update process. Still, they sell here, they should either be trying or telling us why it's not happening.
Mawthra: When the version on Steam was updated, there wasn't much fanfare at all other than a post in the games News section... I just noticed it at random in my library when the tile artwork was updated along with the title in my library and that was it

Anyway, this is the thread that I keep reviving where inXile has acutally chimed in on a few times if you wanna sift throught it (If you haven't already)... maybe join in ;)

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18614
Interesting: they're doing IV up to date, here, and their remakes, but not this game. Also, the title on the android version doesn't reflect the update, either. I think they're just dropping to minimal support and that suggests steam only, as well. That's annoying. That also means the other games will soon get the same treatment. LAME.
Post edited November 16, 2018 by kohlrak
I have to say one thing: obviously the cause of this difference in treatment are lazy developers, but now I think that even most users of GOG (apart from some very active individuals of course) are particularly lazy and don't make enough noise, just complaining on this forum doesn't do any good.

If inXile received more complaints instead of seeing only poor Mawthra maybe they would have a different attitude.
low rated

Post edited November 25, 2018 by Fairfox
phaolo: I wished for such clause since years, but 48h seems a bit too low..
I'd be ok even with 1 week.
Is this really a new thing. It would not surprise me if such a clause has existed for a longer time. It's just thag GOG does not do anything in case it is broken. That is what people were constantly complaining here. Now they are removing games and people complain again.
Alexim: I have to say one thing: obviously the cause of this difference in treatment are lazy developers, but now I think that even most users of GOG (apart from some very active individuals of course) are particularly lazy and don't make enough noise, just complaining on this forum doesn't do any good.

If inXile received more complaints instead of seeing only poor Mawthra maybe they would have a different attitude.
At least it would help - I agree. No guarantee that this would change anything but it would help seeing things a bit different and it is more difficult to brush off multiple users than just one.

Also: I did find out that several devs - especially indies - nowadays also use discord. It's an ideal surrounding to push for updates since it is very hard to be ignored there.
Post edited November 16, 2018 by MarkoH01