It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Game I like isn't on GOG *whine* *bitch about curation*

So? Up to GOG to choose to sell what they deem profitable for them.

On this particular title it's not like you can't even get it DRM free if you're against using Steam - there's DRM free options available at Humble Store or the developer's website.
Anothername: Imagine a wall with lots of big notes. Each one carries the name of a game from a dev/publisher whom has applied said game with the wish that it will be released on GOG.

In front of that wall is a desk; on top of it a very powerful ventilator.

Now each week a random GOG employee takes a large spoon full of chocolate pudding and fling it (just the pudding; not the spoon) into the max speed rotating ventilator. The note with the most pudding on it is the game which will be released.

They use a former bathroom for it because the cleaner threatened to quit after the 2nd time when they did it in a regular office.
:D
Kristian: 1. The game exists.
2. It is DRM free or the publisher/developer is willing to remove the DRM.
3. It is not illegal.
4. The company has the necessary legal rights.
5. It meets some very basic quality and content criteria such as not consisting of stuff mainly from the Unity Asset Store and like not being a Holocaust simulator or something like that.
And soon we will find GOG with a piles of bad games like Steam now.

Kristian: Physical stores have limitations like shelf space
And digital stores have HDD server capacity.
Kristian: Sure there aren't literally no costs, but the alternative aren't the current system vs. absolutely no curation. But there is no way that GOG is only rejecting games that would me unprofitable for them.

Also don't forget lost sales from companies not signing up with GOG because they don't want to deal with the curation. Who knows, maybe Microsoft and Sega would have signed up if it wasn't for the extremely arbitrary curation system.
How do you know?
A lot of the games I've seen people bitch and moan about not coming here then go on to have mediocre sales and reviews on Steam. It doesn't really make sense for GOG to reject games they expect might be profitable (unless there is another significant reason such as too much sexual content or whatever) so the only reason they are rejecting games is because they don't expect them to be worth it. Of course sometimes they are wrong, they are human and fallible, but they are a business and must make the best guess they can in these areas in the hopes of minimising costs and maximising profits.

And I doubt Microsoft or Sega's games would be subject to much in the way of curation, it's mostly just indie games (and a few of the more rubbish classics). I'm fairly sure we all know the reasons they aren't here, and it's nothing to do with curation.
low rated
I do recall seeing several quotes in this and other threads from prominent/highly regarded developers/publishers not wanting to sign up with GOG because they don't want to deal with them. Unfortunately I don't remember specifics. Companies like Microsoft and Sega hear about that and think: "I don't want to deal with that".

Maybe they wouldn't to deal with that, but they may not know/expect that. In any case, GOG already has to fight against the pro-DRM bias in the industry. Disgruntled developers/publishers is only going to add to that. Do you think these people go around bragging about GOG?

But those here making fun of GOG's decision processes regarding curation are doing so for a reason. Because there seems to be no logic to what games are rejected and which aren't. The response developers get are often times cryptic and vague and other times they are seemingly inconsistent with decisions on other games.

Edit:

I was just thinking, curation itself has costs. Especially GOG's heavy curation. That might also explain the low quality feedback some developers have gotten from the curation process.
Post edited October 07, 2018 by Kristian
I understand why GOG has a curation system, but I wish they'd be a bit more explicit about both their criteria for acceptance and their reasons for rejecting a game. The most obvious example of a seemingly inexplicable rejection is Opus Magnum, which was apparently rejected for 'looking like a mobile game' despite the fact that a) it doesn't, b) the developers have other games here, and c) GOG sells plenty of mobile ports anyway. Even more bizarre is the way they changed their minds a week or so later, having lost most of the early sales rush to Steam.

I'm wondering if some kind of 'hybrid' system might be possible with a modified version of the old Steam Greenlight. Say there's a game that meets GOG's normal quality standards, but they're not sure whether it will sell enough to be worth their while. They could put it up to a public vote, and agree to release it if it gets enough votes within a certain period of time. Voting could be restricted to people who've spent a certain amount here and/or been members for a certain length of time, to prevent people signing up just to stuff the ballot. Just an idea, anyway.

Regarding Vigilantes, just wanted to point out that it has excellent reviews and has been at or near the top of Steam's 'trending' list for several days now. I'm having a lot of fun with it and would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of game, whether or not it comes to GOG.
"Regarding Vigilantes, just wanted to point out that it has excellent reviews and has been at or near the top of Steam's 'trending' list for several days now. I'm having a lot of fun with it and would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of game, whether or not it comes to GOG."

So in other words if GOG rejected it because it wouldn't be profitable, they are likely wrong about that.
high rated
You guys wanna take this debate to another thread instead of cluttering up a tracking thread? Please?
What the Fox says.

Everybody has good points and all that but this thread is cluttered enough when staying on topic.

Just make a new thread about discussing curation...pretty please.

:)
Majnun: Just make a new thread about discussing curation...pretty please.
Here you go:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/what_do_you_think_of_gogs_current_level_of_curation
Post edited October 07, 2018 by Downtown_Special
high rated
New company in the catalog: PixelCount Studios for Kynseed:
A quirky sandbox RPG adventure life sim from veterans of the Fable series.

You’ve been given the Kynseed, a mystical acorn that grows into a family tree where your choices manifest in its branches. Raise a family, farm the land, run shops, and explore the world as its inhabitants age around you. When you die, step into the shoes of your children and continue your legacy. In this beautifully hand-crafted world, everyone ages, has fears, phobias, and desires – even including the animals and monsters!

Kynseed is set in Quill, a land of peaceful havens where people live in relative harmony (except for petty jealousies over who grows the bigger marrows). The villages and vales are encircled by dangerous forests but, as long as humans don’t overstep their mark, then the creatures in the dark places will stay in their shadows.

Kynseed is being made by PixelCount Studios, one of the baby Phoenix chicks that has sprung from the ashes of Lionhead Studios. Our fledgling studio consists of two Lionhead veterans who have been involved in every Fable game, Black & White, and The Movies (among others). Our goal as a studio is to continue the spirit of Lionhead with games that are charming, humorous, very British, and eccentric.
The-Business: New company in the catalog: PixelCount Studios for Kynseed:

A quirky sandbox RPG adventure life sim from veterans of the Fable series.

You’ve been given the Kynseed, a mystical acorn that grows into a family tree where your choices manifest in its branches. Raise a family, farm the land, run shops, and explore the world as its inhabitants age around you. When you die, step into the shoes of your children and continue your legacy. In this beautifully hand-crafted world, everyone ages, has fears, phobias, and desires – even including the animals and monsters!

Kynseed is set in Quill, a land of peaceful havens where people live in relative harmony (except for petty jealousies over who grows the bigger marrows). The villages and vales are encircled by dangerous forests but, as long as humans don’t overstep their mark, then the creatures in the dark places will stay in their shadows.

Kynseed is being made by PixelCount Studios, one of the baby Phoenix chicks that has sprung from the ashes of Lionhead Studios. Our fledgling studio consists of two Lionhead veterans who have been involved in every Fable game, Black & White, and The Movies (among others). Our goal as a studio is to continue the spirit of Lionhead with games that are charming, humorous, very British, and eccentric.
The-Business:
awesome! will buy
i_hope_you_rot: I still don't understand how the Gog curation system works .
murkki: I usually imagine the financial bailout chart from South Park.
GREAT episode.
high rated
New company in the catalog: Lunar Ray Games for
TimeSpinner:
Timespinner is a beautifully crafted story-driven adventure, inspired by classic 90s action-platformers. Join timekeeper Lunais on her quest for revenge against the empire that killed her family, using time-bending powers to explore a vast connected world.

With her family murdered in front of her and the ancient Timespinner device destroyed, Lunais is suddenly transported into an unknown world, stranded with seemingly no hope of return. Using her power to control time, Lunais vows to take her revenge on the evil Lachiem Empire, but sometimes the course of history isn't quite as black and white as it seems...

Features

Control the Timespinner to bend time to your advantage, evading foes, using them as platforms, and solving puzzles
Discover a lovingly-crafted, beautiful pixel art world and uncover a rich story universe
Explore both the past and present of Lachiem, from grand medieval castles, to sparkling serene lakes, a bustling metropolis and even a space-age laboratory
Clobber enemies with Magic Orbs which grow in power the more you use them
Mayef
Befriend mysterious Familiars and train them to aid you in battle
Take on challenging boss battles with an emphasis on skill, timing, and dodging
Locate hidden areas and treasures through secret walls and platforming puzzles
Invite a second player to join the adventure by controlling Lunais' Familiar in local co-op mode
Compelling story across two timelines by the narrative designers of Silverstring Media -- find hidden clues, uncover the past, and change the future!
Rock out to a gothic PS1-style soundtrack by Jeff Ball (composer for Tiny Barbarian DX and violinist for Steven Universe) with retro SFX by Power Up Audio (Crypt of the Necrodancer, Celeste, Into the Breach)
Full gamepad support on Windows, Mac, & Linux
I guess you could take @GOG.com's answer (<i>*prepares the GOG harbour, rings the bell, prepares for docking*</i>) to this post from Lucas Pope:
After four and a half long years, "Return of the Obra Dinn" is finally done enough to call.
October 18th, PC+Mac, $19.99
as confirmation for a gog.com-release?