It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
capricorn1971ad: ...
Perhaps GOG is not the right service for you, then, if it bothers you this much. (From what I've deduced from your posts, you seem more annoyed at GOG than pleased.) They're going to continue to disallow posting of direct links to abandonware sites.

EDIT: I will say that game preservation, often abandonware, sites are very important in principle.
Post edited July 18, 2016 by tfishell
capricorn1971ad: ...
tfishell: Perhaps GOG is not the right service for you, then, if it bothers you this much. (From what I've deduced from your posts, you seem more annoyed at GOG than pleased.) They're going to continue to disallow posting of direct links to abandonware sites.
I second that.
LOL. What the fuck do abandonware sites have to do with slavery?
Grargar: LOL. What the fuck do abandonware sites have to do with slavery?
Wake up sheeple!

Wait what.
I really have no idea.
*Looks at capricorn1971ad's posts*

Um...okay.
Grargar: LOL. What the fuck do abandonware sites have to do with slavery?
I have read his posts like 15 times in the last 4 hours and I still dont get what straws he was grasping at, I really don't. I think I like dalthnock more, at least he makes sense.
Post edited July 18, 2016 by Lord_Kane
capricorn1971ad: whats wrong with abandonedware sites? they aren't illegal or unethical.
when you consider what planned obsolescence is and how it factors into what GOG does it is a look in the mirror is it not?

especially considering "debt" is used as currency through it all..
how do you pay debt with debt?

so in other words those programmers that got paid but were still paying for it..
today.. the public, not the government.

slavery is not legal, but that's what capitolism is in truth.
that's whats being practiced, slavery and idolatry.

lets be open and honest.
can we do that?

whats the problem with "abandonware" when you understand how debt works and also "Planned obsolescence"?
adaliabooks: I won't pretend to understand half of that, but yes 'abandonware' is very much illegal. It is a term used to give a semblance of legality to what is essentially piracy.
Some of the better sites will only host games which are not available anywhere else and will remove games if they appear on places like Gog or Steam, but most just claim that anything old is 'abandoned' and fair game even if they are actively being sold by the current rights holders.

Considering that advertising and linking to abandoware sites that probably host for free a lot of the games Gog sells, could conceivably harm their business it's not really unreasonable for the staff to ask you (nicely) not to.
Where would archive.org stand. This site has some games that are sold on gog & steam or do they have some special agreement with the rights holders.
capricorn's posts are why I don't do drugs...wait.
armedready: Where would archive.org stand. This site has some games that are sold on gog & steam or do they have some special agreement with the rights holders.
No, they don't. What they do have is a special exemption to DMCA granted by the government. That still didn't stop people from reporting and removing games sold on GOG that somebody had uploaded to archive.org.
armedready: Where would archive.org stand. This site has some games that are sold on gog & steam or do they have some special agreement with the rights holders.
As far as I'm aware, they are a slightly dodgy case too, though they are doing it for the right reasons I suppose. I'm not sure whether they have agreements with the rights holders or not, but I doubt it.

But being quite a high profile site I imagine if anyone was going to get Cease and Desist letters for this kind of thing it would be them, so the situation might be more complicated...

Edit: And ninja'd with a more accurate answer by Grager.
Post edited July 18, 2016 by adaliabooks
Lord_Kane: I have read his posts like 15 times in the last 4 hours and I still dont get what straws he was grasping at, I really don't. I think I like dalthnock more, at least he makes sense.
Reminds me of that guy (I think he was called Rojimboo or something) who said that he cancelled his Witcher 3 preorder, because CDPR wouldn't add DRM to it. He also said that CDPR offering free DLC for Witcher 3 would lead to the collapse of social welfare.
NuffCatnip: capricorn's posts are why I don't do drugs...wait.
Don't worry, Catnip. You still have a long way till you reach that stage. Just make sure to avoid overdosing and you'll be fine.
Post edited July 18, 2016 by Grargar
Lord_Kane: I have read his posts like 15 times in the last 4 hours and I still dont get what straws he was grasping at, I really don't. I think I like dalthnock more, at least he makes sense.
Grargar: Reminds me of that guy (I think he was called Rojimboo or something) who said that he cancelled his Witcher 3 preorder, because CDPR wouldn't add DRM to it. He also said that CDPR offering free DLC for Witcher 3 would lead to the collapse of social welfare.
NuffCatnip: capricorn's posts are why I don't do drugs...wait.
Grargar: Don't worry, Catnip. You still have a long way till you reach that stage. Just make sure to avoid overdosing and you'll be fine.
You have to be fucking with me.
Grargar: Don't worry, Catnip. You still have a long way till you reach that stage. Just make sure to avoid overdosing and you'll be fine.
Lord_Kane: You have to be fucking with me.
You want him to overdose? O_o
I don't. Here, have a taste of the Twilight Zone:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/522729359256188608/

He created a similar thread here with the title "Why I cancelled my Witcher 3 preorder" and proceeded to spam the same constant thing over and over again. As a result, other members got tired of his ramblings and proceeded to report the thread as spam, deleting it from the annals of history.
Grargar: I don't. Here, have a taste of the Twilight Zone:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/522729359256188608/

He created a similar thread here with the title "Why I cancelled my Witcher 3 preorder" and proceeded to spam the same constant thing over and over again. As a result, other members got tired of his ramblings and proceeded to report the thread as spam, deleting it from the annals of history.
I could barely get to the halfway point of page 2 before I decided "fuck that" and went back to watching hell's kitchen..