It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dick1982: Dungeon Keeper 1: apparently ,in order to beat the latter enemy dungeon keepers, i was suppose to capture a lord earlier on, convert him into a "knight" for my personal use and train him till he's level 8. i didn't do that.
I don't think you can actually do that. Lords are inconvertible. They die in torturing chamber, but cannot be converted.
What you should do however, is to get a Vampire as soon as possible and train it to level 10 (I think it was a lot easier, than it actually sounds, note that you have a lot of "Increase Level" specials hidden in many levels).
Then you always look for a "Transfer Creature" bonus on every map. Make sure you find it before you finish the given level. This way you can transfer the Vampire to next level.
Most of the people agree that Vampires are easily the best creatures in the game, but if you insist you can try to capture an enemy Wizard or maybe a Samurai and then do the same trick with it.

I managed to beat original Dungeon Keeper campaign and it was a lot of fun. However Deeper Dungeons expansion is IMO unfairly hard. It definitely is way over what a "normal" gamer can digest. If you add that on top of unfair difficulty level, the game isn't running properly in dosbox (slowdowns, unresponsive UI) and you add bugs in level design (which are well known and mentioned in many walkthroughs) then you see that it is a big mess instead of a proper expansion. That's a shame really, because I love the whole idea behind the first Dungeon Keeper.
Post edited October 30, 2015 by inc09nito
Hitman contracts, got bored
Dragon age Inquistion after about 50 hours just sick of it
inc09nito: I don't think you can actually do that. Lords are inconvertible. They die in torturing chamber, but cannot be converted.
Of course they can. I've often taken a level 10 badass knight with me until I got a dragon or a horned reaper and enough space for his own little dungeon so he doesn't constantly kill my imps.
You just have to heal or feed the knight while he is in the torture chamber because it takes a while to "persuade" him.
In some levels, a level 10 dragon is better though, because he can walk through lava and if you take him on a journey to the enemie's dungeon right at the beginning of a level, you don't really worry about this one anymore. ;)
Vampires have the strong disadvantage of not getting along with wizards, that's why I've stopped taking them with me.

Dungeon Keeper 1 was great imho and finished it ages ago.
I never made it through the expansion though - it's ridiculously hard.
inc09nito: I don't think you can actually do that. Lords are inconvertible. They die in torturing chamber, but cannot be converted.
Klumpen0815: Of course they can. I've often taken a level 10 badass knight with me until I got a dragon or a horned reaper and enough space for his own little dungeon so he doesn't constantly kill my imps.
You just have to heal or feed the knight while he is in the torture chamber because it takes a while to "persuade" him.
In some levels, a level 10 dragon is better though, because he can walk through lava and if you take him on a journey to the enemie's dungeon right at the beginning of a level, you don't really worry about this one anymore. ;)
Vampires have the strong disadvantage of not getting along with wizards, that's why I've stopped taking them with me.

Dungeon Keeper 1 was great imho and finished it ages ago.
I never made it through the expansion though - it's ridiculously hard.
Good stuff, I didn't know that one actually could convert Lords. :)

Well, the Dragons are slow and can be killed (unlike Vampires), but they surely have many advantages.

Have you played some other good campaigns, e.g. which are present in KeeperFX?
inc09nito: I managed to beat original Dungeon Keeper campaign and it was a lot of fun. However Deeper Dungeons expansion is IMO unfairly hard. It definitely is way over what a "normal" gamer can digest.
I beat both the base campaign and Deeper Dungeons one or two years ago, and for some reason I recall having much more difficulties and frustration during the base campaign, than the Deeper Dungeons missions.

I can't put my finger on what it was, but I seemed to get stuck much more often in the base campaign missions. Maybe they had less "endless gold" blocks (so you could actually run out of gold completely during a level), or I just learned to play it better, or somesuch.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but sometimes waiting for your minions to train themselves to level 10 bored me to death, and the game mechanism always seemed odd and obscure to me, ie. what you are supposed to do with different rooms, which enemies needed what rooms, which enemies didn't get along, did it matter if your rooms have walls or not (other than blocking enemies from coming in), what was the reason that sometimes some minions got angry and would leave your realm (sometimes I knew it was because I ran out of gold, but quite often I didn't really understand what was the thing annoying them, and what could I possibly do about it), etc... None of it really seemed that logical, it just was the way it is, and you had to memorize all of it.
inc09nito: I managed to beat original Dungeon Keeper campaign and it was a lot of fun. However Deeper Dungeons expansion is IMO unfairly hard. It definitely is way over what a "normal" gamer can digest.
timppu: I beat both the base campaign and Deeper Dungeons one or two years ago, and for some reason I recall having much more difficulties and frustration during the base campaign, than the Deeper Dungeons missions.

I can't put my finger on what it was, but I seemed to get stuck much more often in the base campaign missions. Maybe they had less "endless gold" blocks (so you could actually run out of gold completely during a level), or I just learned to play it better, or somesuch.

Overall I enjoyed the game, but sometimes waiting for your minions to train themselves to level 10 bored me to death, and the game mechanism always seemed odd and obscure to me, ie. what you are supposed to do with different rooms, which enemies needed what rooms, which enemies didn't get along, did it matter if your rooms have walls or not (other than blocking enemies from coming in), what was the reason that sometimes some minions got angry and would leave your realm (sometimes I knew it was because I ran out of gold, but quite often I didn't really understand what was the thing annoying them, and what could I possibly do about it), etc... None of it really seemed that logical, it just was the way it is, and you had to memorize all of it.
Reading your reply, I am actually amazed that you defeated the expansion. Are we really talking about the same expansion, Deeper Dungeons? :)

Most of answers to your questions can be found in the manual. Actually it seems to me that the game sort of assumes that you have read it and you know what you are doing. Every kind of creature is explained there, as well as all the rooms, spells, etc.

What makes the expansion a lot harder are some artificial limitations that the game puts on the player, like: you cannot have more than 20 (or sometimes 10, and sometimes even less) creatures in your dungeon, while enemies can have up to 30. Or you cannot build certain types of rooms, like Prison or Scavenging Room, and so on. This makes the game fricking hard. On second level in the expansion player finds himself with 20 creatures and going against two other dungeon keepers, each having 30 creatures. Things like that make it almost damn impossible to enjoy and very hard to finish. Not to mention later levels. I read parts of the walkthrough. There are levels where you control one(!) Spider and have to beat enemy armies and heroes with it. It requires incredible luck and skill in drag-and-dropping creatures, placing traps and whatever. And this is in turn almost impossible to me, because the game runs like a piece of crap. During the fights I have a terrible slowdowns, even KeeperFX doesn't solve it entirely (although it helps a little). I mouse-click on something and the click is not register, I try to cast a spell and it doesn't work, and my creatures are dying. There are lags and UI is unresponsive. It is virtually not possible to cast any spells during the combat. This is very frustrating. All these kind of things ruin the game. The base game is easy enough to somehow live with them and still enjoy it, but expansion requires perfection from the player.
inc09nito: Reading your reply, I am actually amazed that you defeated the expansion. Are we really talking about the same expansion, Deeper Dungeons? :)
I found what I wrote about it in 2014:

http://www.gog.com/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/who_finished_the_game/post6
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post425

So yeah, I think it was the Deeper Dungeons, in case that's the mission set where the last level is called "Belial"?

Admittedly, it might be I had just gotten better playing the game, but somehow I recall thinking the DD missions were somehow easier or more straightforward? I can't remember for sure...

inc09nito: Most of answers to your questions can be found in the manual. Actually it seems to me that the game sort of assumes that you have read it and you know what you are doing. Every kind of creature is explained there, as well as all the rooms, spells, etc.
Could be so, but the game seemed to have so many tidbits to memorize that it felt somewhat confusing. Maybe I didn't read the whole manual before starting to play, but reverted more to online FAQs and such when needed. Like when I found out some suggestions that having walls around your rooms make them more "efficient", but I couldn't really tell for sure whether that was the case, and efficient in what way (e.g. do your minions train faster in a walled training room, or does a walled hatchery produce more food than the exact same hatchery without walls?) . Not sure if the manual mentioned anything about that. I would normally just make rooms without walls (except the exterior walls to keep enemies out) in order to save space and have more rooms in a smaller area.

Or another example, how you got new minions by dropping certain kind of minions to that temple pool or whatever it was... I am unsure if the manual mentioned those, I just had to read some FAQ to know which kind of minions I was supposed to drop there to get better ones. I recall there were adverse effects if you threw wrong kind of minions there, so it wasn't a good idea to experiment much either.

There wasn't necessarily any logic to it, like why would vampires and wizards hate each other so much, and some other minions? You just had to remember that they do. Also as said, some minions getting annoyed and angry, and I couldn't always figure out why. I kept them fed, threw money at them, made rooms that they were supposed to use etc.
Post edited November 02, 2015 by timppu
EDIT: Moved to "Finished in 2015", although technically I didn't, but almost.
Post edited November 13, 2015 by Leroux
Painkiller - Black Edition (WinXP / Linux)

I started playing this game quite a while ago, moved it to Linux later and after not wanting to play it for a long time and then having some savestates corrupted making me to play the ugly "asylum" level again, I finally quit.

It's a game in the tradition of Quake and probably exactly what many people are looking for that love old school fps, but it somehow didn't really impress me. The soundtrack is nice, the graphics ok, level design is good although the hidden stuff is way too well hidden for me to find anything, the weapons are crude which was cool in Quake 3 but I'm missing something here to be honest.
It just didn't work for me for some reason although it isn't a bad game at all and it's even running perfectly via PlayOnLinux.

List
Post edited December 13, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: Painkiller - Black Edition (WinXP / Linux)

I started playing this game quite a while ago, moved it to Linux later and after not wanting to play it for a long time and then having some savestates corrupted making me to play the ugly "asylum" level again, I finally quit.

It's a game in the tradition of Quake and probably exactly what many people are looking for that love old school fps, but it somehow didn't really impress me. The soundtrack is nice, the graphics ok, level design is good although the hidden stuff is way too well hidden for me to find anything, the weapons are crude which was cool in Quake 3 but I'm missing something here to be honest.
It just didn't work for me for some reason although it isn't a bad game at all and it's even running perfectly via PlayOnLinux.
I started playing this game yesterday evening and ended in 3 hours. Don`t like it at all. It`s boring as for me and also there are more interesting alternatives.
Terror from the Deep. I got a bit bored reaction training my aquanauts, and dealing with shipping lane missions :-\
Perhaps I should try OpenXcom one of these days instead

...snip... level design is good although the hidden stuff is way too well hidden for me to find anything, the weapons are crude which was cool in Quake 3 but I'm missing something here to be honest.
Matadivi: I started playing this game yesterday evening and ended in 3 hours. Don`t like it at all. It`s boring as for me and also there are more interesting alternatives.
I agree. Many say that this is one of the greatest games of all time, but personally I found it a bit shallow.
Imo, levels are way too linear, so it lacks the charm of shooters like the Build Engine ones, yet the action is not as fast paced, varied and challenging as games with a similar map layout, like Serious Sam and Shadow Warrior (2013).
I'll say as well that Painkiller is not a bad game at all, yet there are plenty of better shooters.

I had the same experience.

I think it is very of its time. Having missed it when it was initially released sorta. I could not get the fucker to run so I put it on the shelf to collect dust for a few years before I sold it.
Medal of Honor War Chest

Some shooters just don't age that well.
Cannon Fodder (Linux)

It was fun at first but the completely unfair and random deaths setting back a big chunk of your progress quickly put me off.
For some reason the roofs of the huts you have to blow up constantly crashed on top of my soldiers and killed them all instantly, running away after throwing the grenade reduced it only a bit.
It was over the moment there are snipers with bazookas everywhere.
Even if you know the map, position of all the soldiers, huts and ammo-packages and try to hit the bazookas with your own missiles after collecting them, they till have a larger range of vision than you and the fact, that you can't control the camera directly juts makes it worse.
Even after managing the first two phases against all odds, there's always another one that is even worse and you can only save every fourth level or so.
After having ragequitted multiple times, I decided, that frustration is no fun and deleted it.
How did this piece of sh** become a classic?!
I'll try the second game soon but am prepared for the worst.

List
Post edited December 13, 2015 by Klumpen0815