It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

awalterj: FTL
Frozen Synapse
Tallima: Both of these are on my top 50-100ish games. :) They do take some getting used to, but I loved them both. I'm glad you hate them, though. It makes me feel better for hating Metro. :-P
My quit list is to a large degree unapologetically subjective, meaning there's going to be quite a few popular and/or objectively great games on there. With several hundred games to play, my patience and stamina for how long I keep playing any one game when it's not fun to me is severely limited.

My favorite type of games are the ones that are the "easy to learn, hard to master" types which are instantly accessible but offer interesting gameplay on all difficulty levels. Easy shouldn't be lame and hard shouldn't be tedious. The difficulty must be adjustable and increase gradually so that one can comfortably enjoy and finish the game without having to metagame the living crap out of it. I don't want to deal with min-maxing and tedious analysis during a first playthrough, I just want immersion and if the challenge increases it should do so without sudden difficulty spikes. Sudden difficulty spikes are always poor design even in otherwise excellent games, haven't encountered any exceptions in the last 25 years. Games that try to pull the dick move of tossing you an unreasonable final boss that can only be beaten via metagaming knowledge even on the lowest difficulty should get flak for doing so. It's a bad practice aimed at artificially prolonging game length without putting in more content.

Games like FTL or Frozen Synapse aim at forcing you to repeat things over and over and learn by trial and failure which excites some people but it's apparently not for me. If trial is contained to one puzzle or one short platforming sequence I can perhaps live with it but not if the whole mission or campaign has to be restarted. I dislike repetition during my initial attempt at finishing a game. It's ok with me to replay at higher difficulties but for my first playthrough I just want to dive in and make it to the end without needing to restart or look up strategies and hints.
Tallima: Both of these are on my top 50-100ish games. :) They do take some getting used to, but I loved them both. I'm glad you hate them, though. It makes me feel better for hating Metro. :-P
awalterj: My quit list is to a large degree unapologetically subjective, meaning there's going to be quite a few popular and/or objectively great games on there. With several hundred games to play, my patience and stamina for how long I keep playing any one game when it's not fun to me is severely limited.

My favorite type of games are the ones that are the "easy to learn, hard to master" types which are instantly accessible but offer interesting gameplay on all difficulty levels. Easy shouldn't be lame and hard shouldn't be tedious. The difficulty must be adjustable and increase gradually so that one can comfortably enjoy and finish the game without having to metagame the living crap out of it. I don't want to deal with min-maxing and tedious analysis during a first playthrough, I just want immersion and if the challenge increases it should do so without sudden difficulty spikes. Sudden difficulty spikes are always poor design even in otherwise excellent games, haven't encountered any exceptions in the last 25 years. Games that try to pull the dick move of tossing you an unreasonable final boss that can only be beaten via metagaming knowledge even on the lowest difficulty should get flak for doing so. It's a bad practice aimed at artificially prolonging game length without putting in more content.
Well said! I fit that bill most of the time. FTL's final boss is evil. I really enjoyed playing that game and it took maybe 10 hours of play to finally beat the boss once, which apparently isn't enough. Another 4 hours to beat him twice. When that wasn't enough, I quit. I beat it good enough for me.

My quit list also has some popular titles (WoW, Arkham City (I hope to get back to it one day! Glitches ruined it for me), , even Frozen Synapse (I'm 12 hours in, but I played enough of it)). What I love in this day and age is that you can have a grand library to play from and actually try out a game before committing significant time to it. When I was a kid, we played what we had. That's all you can do. Today, there's so much fun to be had that you can try a little this, a little that, delve into someone's imagination, work through some intense strategy and even try something extremely new -- maybe even genre breaking/definiting quite regularly. It's a good day to be a gamer!
awalterj: snip
renowned explorers should be on your list then. Very easy to get the hang of, difficulty is perfectly curved. The problem is, you just need to stay above the curve or you'll get your backside handed to you at the end. There are also four difficulty settings.
One good thing about being too broke to buy every game you come across, I'm encouraged to complete the ones I do have.

Many good times I might not have had if I'd chucked them and moved on to newer shinier ones.

Fable was just sitting around, turned out to be one of the best games I've played. I don't think I would have completed FTL. I don't think I would have got to the massive war, tank and aircraft missions in Arma 2. I might not have picked up Morrowind again for another play through and completed it, one of the best times I can remember.
I was so looking forward to OST is fantastic, but I expected what I guess is now considered classic FPS gameplay and Blood Dragon is just not offering that kind of experience. Bummer.
chevkoch: I was so looking forward to OST is fantastic, but I expected what I guess is now considered classic FPS gameplay and Blood Dragon is just not offering that kind of experience. Bummer.
It was a reskin of Far Cry 3, of course it stayed mostly the same gameplay wise. :P
chevkoch: I was so looking forward to OST is fantastic, but I expected what I guess is now considered classic FPS gameplay and Blood Dragon is just not offering that kind of experience. Bummer.
omega64: It was a reskin of Far Cry 3, of course it stayed mostly the same gameplay wise. :P
I had not played any Far Cry title before, so was oblivious to what awaited me. Saves me trying out the rest of the series now :)
omega64: It was a reskin of Far Cry 3, of course it stayed mostly the same gameplay wise. :P
chevkoch: I had not played any Far Cry title before, so was oblivious to what awaited me. Saves me trying out the rest of the series now :)
Ah, you're missing out man. Far Cry 3 was really fun

But I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone
TheTome56: Ah, you're missing out man. Far Cry 3 was really fun

But I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone
After watching some sweet trailer a longer while ago and now actually having played part of it, I'm weeping inside believe me.
chevkoch: I had not played any Far Cry title before, so was oblivious to what awaited me. Saves me trying out the rest of the series now :)
Play Farcry 1 before you dismiss that series. It's actually a different developer from Farcry 2 and 3.

It's a real legitimate classic the first one. It's tough as nails and unusually brilliant.
Post edited October 02, 2015 by bad_fur_day1
bad_fur_day1: Play Farcry 1 before you dismiss that series. It's actually a different developer from Farcry 2 and 3.

It's a real legitimate classic the first one. It's tough as nails and unusually brilliant.
Does this feature the on-screen button prompts too?
bad_fur_day1: Play Farcry 1 before you dismiss that series. It's actually a different developer from Farcry 2 and 3.

chevkoch: Does this feature the on-screen button prompts too?
No way. It's Rambo all the way. One of the best games ever made. Crysis is actually it's real sequel, even that I didn't like as much as Farcry 1.
chevkoch: Does this feature the on-screen button prompts too?
bad_fur_day1: No way. It's Rambo all the way. One of the best games ever made.
Cheers! Kicked it onto my whishlist heap now. Plus, I'm watching this gameplay video and can't stop laughing. Too bad they had to use all QTE-related finger exercises for Blood Dragon, really.
bad_fur_day1: No way. It's Rambo all the way. One of the best games ever made.
chevkoch: Cheers! Kicked it onto my whishlist heap now. Plus, I'm watching this gameplay video and can't stop laughing. Too bad they had to use all QTE-related finger exercises for Blood Dragon, really.
Yep, don't let that one slip by because of your experience with other ones. I havn't even finished Farcry 2, it was average.
bad_fur_day1: Yep, don't let that one slip by because of your experience with other ones. I havn't even finished Farcry 2, it was average.
I'll just pretend I'm a cyber commando and likely won't miss Blood Dragon at all :D