It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CMOT70: Black Dahlia

An awesome old (and hard) FMV point and click, right up until about 3/4 the way through when i come across a game crashing bug. Tried pretty much everything to get around the problem, but no luck. Usually i can fix these types of problems, but not this time. Finally gave up and watched the last 1/4 of the game on Youtube. So even if i work out a solution to the crashing now, it's too late as i know how it all ends. Was still a good investigative/occult story. It even has Dennis Hopper in it.
Didn't that thing come on like 7 CD's? Also how much was Dennis in the game? I heard it was only for a brief few minutes.
Post edited August 24, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
ScotchMonkey: Well at least it wasn't as bad as SAMARITAN PARADOX.
Now there's a puke worthy candidate.

And to think GOG gives away for free Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Where's the justice?

An awesome old (and hard) FMV point and click, right up until about 3/4 the way through when i come across a game crashing bug. Tried pretty much everything to get around the problem, but no luck. Usually i can fix these types of problems, but not this time. Finally gave up and watched the last 1/4 of the game on Youtube. So even if i work out a solution to the crashing now, it's too late as i know how it all ends. Was still a good investigative/occult story. It even has Dennis Hopper in it.
Tannath: That's based on a true story, isn't it?
The story is a fabrication/fiction based on the real murder of Elizabeth Short who later became known as the "Black Dalhia" through the massive amount of press coverage.. All based on "true stories" works are just that "based on" not actual true stories.

Unresolved cases to murders with sensational coverage still captivate the public decades and even a century later.
ScotchMonkey: Well at least it wasn't as bad as SAMARITAN PARADOX.
Tannath: Now there's a puke worthy candidate.

And to think GOG gives away for free Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Where's the justice?
The justice is that we get BSS for FREE
Post edited August 24, 2015 by ScotchMonkey

ScotchMonkey: Didn't that thing come on like 7 CD's? Also how much was Dennis in the game? I heard it was only for a brief few minutes.
8 Cd's, so would be a good candidate for digital release, though i think Take 2 own it, so it wouldn't be on GOG. Dennis Hopper had about a 5 minute role all up, the overall standard of acting for all actors was probably the best i've seen in an FMV game.
Legend of Grimrock II (GOG):
I had high expectations for this game, as it has a lot of old school RPG features which I normally enjoy. However, real-time combat was not one of them. I found it acceptable in Ultima Underworld where you are playing just one character, but it seemed especially jarring (to me) with a party-based game. I guess I much prefer turn-based combat for party-based games. But I was willing to put up with it. The second feature which I disliked (and which actually caused me to quit): Boss Battles. That was the deal breaker for me, when I hit the first boss battle I decided that was enough and quit.
Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim

Both quit and completed depending on how yoou look at it. I put about 130 hours into it and ejoyed it enough and that I never want to play another game with this engine ever again.

I could not complete the civil war questline due to a bug. No fixes work (I'm on the 360 version so no hope there) and I decided that I had eneough. I had no intention of doing the thieves guild questline or the Dark Brotherhood (which I destroyed). I managed to complete everything else thankfully.

The amount of bugs and staight up jankiness really fucks with what is a very fleshed out world. It makes a poor presentation visually save for Sovenguard which was the only time It ever felt epic and grand. Not to mention freezing every hour or so.

I picked it up years ago but hated the lack of engagement story wise and clunky combat that the Nerd3 descrubed as "swinging cereal boxes at eachother". This time around I brushed up on the lore and tried a mage class and enjoyed it much more but the same problems persist.

1. Dull and washed out graphics.
2. Draw distance akin to a stones throw.
3. The most jerky and stiffly animated characters in the 360 era.
4. Quest breaking bugs and crashes.
5. Inconsistant reactions from npcs. Like killing a dragon in the middle of town and the guard goes on about that damn arrow in the knee.
6. Story is presented in a very unengaging way. It mostly feels inconsequential.
7. It is impossible to be immersed when everyone and everything just comes off as so stiff and mechanical.

There is more but I still had a decent time.
ScotchMonkey: Both quit and completed depending on how yoou look at it.
Ooh. I like this concept. I'll run with this and take it a step further. I "quit" Bioshock Infinite around half way through when it became apparent the writers were going in a direction I did not, do not, will not have any interest in. By quit in this case I mean I pretty much stopped giving a care and just finished the game in pure tourist mode.

Despite this, I was interested in seeing how they were going to tie infinite into the original for the DLC. I just finished Episode 1 of the DLC. It was terrible, but, again, Tourist. Got to go back to Rapture was worth it. Now I've just "for reals" quit six minutes into Episode 2. I may be able to ignore writing I personally don't find interesting, but when the writers allow the story to get so far out of their control they have to desperately try to un-write it using terms like "for reasons" and "there are rules".. well.. not even another few hours exploring rapture is worth that.
Post edited August 27, 2015 by HeDanny
Syberia 2

Went back to this after taking abreak for Skyrim. Loved the first half. The puzzles were sensible and the atmosphere had a lot of charm. The story as it relates to the protaganists employer is still totally nonsensical but easy to ignore.

The problem comes at just about the halfway point where obtuse and shitty puzzle design takes hold and only gets worse. Like I have to fish to get a particualr type of salmon to feed a bear so he can fuck off into the woods (not so bad right), the fish in question likes green things so I use a green lure. The wrong fish is caught. Apparently their idea of green is dark grey. I was using the wrong lure because the designers are apparently color blind.

Next up is the great mortal sin of adventure games, the electronic flick every switch and decipher a series of numbers puzzle. I had to use a guide for this and there is no way in hell you could expect someone to accertain the moon logic used in this.

So I'm in the final act and the scenery is just beautifull with detail and originality. However this is a point and click adventure game and it soon becomes a click on anything and everything hunt because the solution to the puzzle is so abstract and stupid that I'm trying every random thing to see if It something happens.

The puzzles and problems are so goddamn obtuse at this point that I just threw my hands up (and middle fingers) and uninstalled it.

I don't care anymore, Kate can freeze to death in a fucking ice cave with midet eskimos for I all I care.

It reminds me once again why Wadjet Eye are the gold standard for adventure games.
Post edited August 28, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
Legend of Grimrock (Steam, but also on GOG):
After quitting LoG2 I thought I would try the first game to see if I liked it any better. I didn't like the aspect of real-time combat in LoG2, so I started LoG1 on "Easy" difficulty, which mostly solved that problem for me. I found that I greatly preferred the character creation, advancement, and setting of LoG1. I enjoyed the game a lot, I played about 20 hours and progressed down to near the end of Level 7. However, what made me quit was the abundance of real-time puzzles. By that, I mean puzzles where I have figured out the solution but they still require quick reflexes to complete. I was finding those types of puzzles just too frustrating to continue the game.
01kipper: Legend of Grimrock (Steam, but also on GOG):
After quitting LoG2 I thought I would try the first game to see if I liked it any better. I didn't like the aspect of real-time combat in LoG2, so I started LoG1 on "Easy" difficulty, which mostly solved that problem for me. I found that I greatly preferred the character creation, advancement, and setting of LoG1. I enjoyed the game a lot, I played about 20 hours and progressed down to near the end of Level 7. However, what made me quit was the abundance of real-time puzzles. By that, I mean puzzles where I have figured out the solution but they still require quick reflexes to complete. I was finding those types of puzzles just too frustrating to continue the game.
How is the Character Creation different in the second game?
Some odd little thing called Micy Roll: www.desura.com/games/micy-roll

I wanted to like it, and there were solid parts, but it was just too long and repetitive. I'd have enjoyed it much more as a short game with more variety--which is often how I prefer games in general.
The only game I dropped so far at least this year was Dragon Age Inquisition I bought in only for 10€ (used,PS4) because I thought I wouldn't regret it, but I did.
The game was so terrible in every way (boring Quests, bad Gameplay, boring Story) that even those 10€ felt like a huge waste and it's probably the first RPG I ever dropped.
Rise of the Triad 2013

I REALLY wanted to like it and I do think it is a decent game, but the performance, bugs, and very uneven difficulty really made this a less than ideal game to play. Got to E4M2 before quitting after encountering an odd bug that won't let me pass the level.
"Another suicide on the 405
The Black Dahlia she smiles and smiles
It's the same old town that bled her dry
One more starlet one more time
Bound to make it do or die"

ScotchMonkey: Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim
That's pretty much how I felt. Enjoyed playing, but after 100 hours or so felt no urge to complete it. After being away for more than a year all my mods were outdated and blah blah blah and trying to get back into it wasn't really that exciting. DidI quit or complete? Uh, yes.

Like prom, it was worth trying once, but not something I'd be all that excited to go back to years later.
bler144: "Another suicide on the 405
The Black Dahlia she smiles and smiles
It's the same old town that bled her dry
One more starlet one more time
Bound to make it do or die"

ScotchMonkey: Elder Scrolls 5 Skyrim
bler144: That's pretty much how I felt. Enjoyed playing, but after 100 hours or so felt no urge to complete it. After being away for more than a year all my mods were outdated and blah blah blah and trying to get back into it wasn't really that exciting. DidI quit or complete? Uh, yes.

Like prom, it was worth trying once, but not something I'd be all that excited to go back to years later.
I played on console, so no mods. Which means I definately won't be going back to it.