It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Doom (XB1X)

The 2016 reboot and a pretty great reboot at that. It's funny comparing to the new Wolfenstein games that I also played recently. They all use the same engine, but play completely differently. Doom is all about speed, never about standing still or taking cover. It's not normally the type of shooter I prefer, nor am I good at this twitch style. But ID balanced this one so well and everything just works and feels right.

So I absolutely had a ball playing it on the default "hurt me plenty" difficulty. It is good enough that eventually I'll replay at higher difficulty. The only negative, which is more of a personal thing, is that some levels did have a bit of platforming and that's just something I'm not fond of in first person shooters. It showed in the results too, I died more times from falling off the world, or being knocked off, than as a result of enemy fire. It's partly because of my insistence of exploring every inch of every map. However, even the platforming mechanics are better done than most games, it's just I don't like it on principal.

Bethesda have done well this generation in releasing a string of shooters with good single player campaigns.
Post edited April 09, 2018 by CMOT70
poulpy72: It was my first Divinity game and it really is that good!! I have Beyond and Divine on my wishlist. Divinity 2 is not isometric so it's not catching my interest. If you try D:OSEE, let us know what you think.
I know it's not isometric and more of a 3D action RPG, Divinity 2 is actually really *really* good in my opinion. It has strong writing, a good atmosphere, fantastic music (which is included as a bonus download!) and the gameplay itself is fun. Plus the graphics hold up really well, especially considering it's a Gamebryo engine game. I can understand if you're not that interested in it because it's not isometric but it's well worth a playthrough in my opinion.
Post edited April 09, 2018 by NoNewTaleToTell
Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty, Apr 8-This was a pretty good game (better than a lot of the RTS games I've tried lately) and the price was right (free!) but for some reason I can' quite articulate I didn't think it was nearly as good as the original. It felt like the goal of most missions was to build up as many of the featured unit as possible and then you'd win. I don't remember that being the case in the first game.

Full List
Post edited April 09, 2018 by muddysneakers
tinyE: At this point I'm thinking I should just skip Divinity 2, even though I bought it, and go right to Original Sin.
Don't give Divinity 2 a pass, it's quite a nice game, too, but play in any order you like. It really doesn't matter much with the Divinity games. They're completely different from each other and there is no direct continuity (and tbh, the plots of these games aren't their main selling point either).
Post edited April 09, 2018 by Leroux
Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter

First of all, I haven't played this one. I only observed and gave advices how to solve things but as I saw most of story, gameplay aspects and puzzles and I don't plan on planning it myself, I am putting it into my finished folder.
In some aspects it is quite similar to its prequel, Crimes and Punishment but this one reduces crime solving in the favour of QTE, stealth and various action mini-games.
That was very bad decision. I really liked the previous one, it was best of the series by far and it is among my most favourite adventures, but this one I just didn't enjoy. I loved the aspects of collecting clues and then putting deductions together to get to the desired results in CnP and while it was still present here, it was scaled down quite a lot to make room for the shit I just didn't want from the game.
It can still provide some entertainment but one has to suffer through a lot of annoying stuff. Or skip those part, as there is the option to do that, but while that commendable, I don't want games where I ma forced to skip half of them from boredom. There is something wrong with your game if you need to offer the option to skip certain parts you just added.

2018 list.
poulpy72: It was my first Divinity game and it really is that good!! I have Beyond and Divine on my wishlist. Divinity 2 is not isometric so it's not catching my interest. If you try D:OSEE, let us know what you think.
NoNewTaleToTell: I know it's not isometric and more of a 3D action RPG, Divinity 2 is actually really *really* good in my opinion. It has strong writing, a good atmosphere, fantastic music (which is included as a bonus download!) and the gameplay itself is fun. Plus the graphics hold up really well, especially considering it's a Gamebryo engine game. I can understand if you're not that interested in it because it's not isometric but it's well worth a playthrough in my opinion.
I know it's been very well received and it's a good game. To be more specific as to why I will not play it, it's that it's not turn-based. For mulptiple personal reasons, I stay away from real-time/action games. My games must be at my own-pace and relaxed. :)
poulpy72: For mulptiple personal reasons, I stay away from real-time/action games. My games must be at my own-pace and relaxed. :)
Divine and Beyond aren't turn based either, and they can get quite hectic and require darn fast clicking. Not necessarily reflexes or particularly accurate coordination though (I mean, I didn't have problems with DD, and my reflexes and hand-eye coordination suck).
poulpy72: For mulptiple personal reasons, I stay away from real-time/action games. My games must be at my own-pace and relaxed. :)
Cavalary: Divine and Beyond aren't turn based either, and they can get quite hectic and require darn fast clicking. Not necessarily reflexes or particularly accurate coordination though (I mean, I didn't have problems with DD, and my reflexes and hand-eye coordination suck).
Yeah, I know they're not turn-based, but less stressful than FPS or 3rd person. And isometric real-time is fine for RPGs, such as Diablo and the like. As long as it's nothing like Dead Nation. :)

My reflex and hand-eye coord are fine....my stress level control is quite another thing. LOL
poulpy72: I know it's been very well received and it's a good game. To be more specific as to why I will not play it, it's that it's not turn-based. For mulptiple personal reasons, I stay away from real-time/action games. My games must be at my own-pace and relaxed. :)
Completely understandable! :)

Well I'll echo others, Divine Divinity is really fun but it's easy to get bogged down in. On my last playthrough I spent probably 2 hours just in the starting town/dungeon haha.
Guards

Really minimalist tactical fantasy combat game. Each run you can pick 4 of 8 characters and try to get through 10 levels. 3 on the front lines face a row of baddies, one in the back can rest up. Every turn you move any 2 heroes, and the turn plays out with your attacks and then the baddies attacks.

It is very simple mechanically and in presentation. In that way, it is quick to pick up, quick to form tactics, and quick to play a run or two. Every run you unlock rewards to buy upgrades or bonus items or other classes, so even failed runs have a sense of progress.

It's a pleasant tactical combat, and without too much to manage is a great game to play while doing something else that takes away brain power. Each level takes a few minutes, and different party configurations have different strategies to try.

The minimalism is great because it is easy to get into, but it is not deep and follows the same playbook from beginning to end. If you like the mechanics through 2 levels, you will probably enjoy the game through to the boss. It is a game that does one thing well, and is fun on its own terms, but the core gameplay loop is all there really is.
After a long while and being MIA here, I have finished my second 2018 game. Blind walkthrough of Tales of the Abyss. To be honest, I was overwhelmed by the amount of the text, which was thrown at me, even for jRPG standards. In the end, I still have enjoyed the game, and spent almost 80 hours while playing it (2 and half months of real time due to crazy work schedule).

I can only recommend the game to every jRPG fan, which have not played it yet.

Now I just need to think what to play next. I will probably continue with Hard West or Starcrawlers, which I had to put away for few months due to bug introduced by Unity engine to the newest build of the game.

Or maybe, it might be a time, to finally finish Pillars of Eternity, now that all patches are out :P

Pretty empty list of all my finished games games (For Now :P)
Post edited April 10, 2018 by MMLN
ofthenexus: Guards
I presume you've got this game on Steam, as I don't think it's available elsewhere for PC. Could you confirm whether it is actually DRM-free or not (i.e. whether it can be played without an internet connection nor the Steam client running), please?
Runaway: A Road Adventure

Uggghh, and that's why I can't play point'n'click games anymore... The whole pixel-hunting, illogical combining, if-you-don't-do-things-in-the-right-order-it-doesn't-work thing... Runaway is really an archetype of all that...

The worst is that I loved that game when it first came out... and got the 2 sequels as well!

So, I'm happy it's off my list, like, forever. It's absolutely not a bad game, hear me well, it's just that it's not my thing anymore.

But I know I'll also play the two sequels, just for the sake of taking them off my backlog. Certainly with walkthroughs, though.

So far in 2018: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2018/post12
xa_chan: Runaway: A Road Adventure

Uggghh, and that's why I can't play point'n'click games anymore... The whole pixel-hunting, illogical combining, if-you-don't-do-things-in-the-right-order-it-doesn't-work thing... Runaway is really an archetype of all that...

The worst is that I loved that game when it first came out... and got the 2 sequels as well!

So, I'm happy it's off my list, like, forever. It's absolutely not a bad game, hear me well, it's just that it's not my thing anymore.

But I know I'll also play the two sequels, just for the sake of taking them off my backlog. Certainly with walkthroughs, though.

Funny, I too remember enjoying the game when it came out, but being really disapointed trying to play it again recently. I think this game was released at a time when point and click were really rare and we were very forgiving about puzzle design (and animation, my god). They're IMHO pretty bad representant of the genre, and owe their relative success to the desert market at the time.
xa_chan: Runaway: A Road Adventure

Gabby2: Funny, I too remember enjoying the game when it came out, but being really disapointed trying to play it again recently. I think this game was released at a time when point and click were really rare and we were very forgiving about puzzle design (and animation, my god). They're IMHO pretty bad representant of the genre, and owe their relative success to the desert market at the time.
Oh yeah, the animation... My god, the animation... especially in the museum... My eyes cried blood...