It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Aliens versus Predator 2
The Darkness II

Got it the other day for free on Humble site. Didn't know it was adapted from a comics and I haven't played the first part, but it was no handicap at all.

The story is what it is, not bad but nothing really revolutionary, after all it's an FPS. But, even if a bit short (6 hours to finish it, not 100% though), it was quite inventive in the FPS way.

You are a mafia boss possessed by an entity, The Darkness. of course, it grants you some powers, which means you don't only shoot things, you can also grab, slash or bash them, with an upgrade system for which you pay with the souls you collect.

It's FPS-violent, with a quite gore turn since your powers make you able to dismember enemies and the enemies do some horrible things to you in the cutscenes. But all is comic-like so it's more funny and inventive than disgusting. ^_^

All in all, even if a bit short to my taste, I had fun playing it, so I'm happy! ^_^

So far in 2018: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2018/post12
Deus Ex (2000) (Linux/adamhm's wrapper)

[thank you bjgamer for the game and thank you adamhm for the wrapper allowing me to perform one-click installation and play on Linux without a single issue]

After about 36h I've finally reached the end of Deus Ex GOTY Edition.

Not the best crpg I played, but still absolutely unique and one of the most interesting. I loved the stealth aspect of the game. I was also surprised by the story - first I wasn't sure if it's serious and I expected the story to be not-so-important. Now I know DE is not just a FPS and the whole story was quite engaging. It's linear for 90% of the game, but gameplay allows you to achieve the goal with so many methods that I'm really impressed. I also liked the ending with clear options to be chosen by player.

What I didn't like was terrible graphics and game physics causing in my case a lot of deaths by e.g. falling from ladders. However I'm not the player who focuses on visuals.

List of all games completed in 2018.
Spec Ops The Line

Got it from some recent giveaay, after hearing way too much about that game for my own sake - I spoiled myself quite a bit. Still a great experience, the woman and child scene was still a chock. And I'm glad I finally got to play it. ANd the visual is still pretty amazing for the age.
Funny enough, I was never into shooter games (FPS or TPS), except maybe a few of the Deus Ex serie and Bioshocks. So basically, I sucked and died a lot even on easy. Now I almost want to try more, but I have the feeling that no COD or Battlefield can really satisfy me. But I have an itch to scratch.

Oh, and I finished Minit, a bitesize amateurish game. Nothing much to talk about, it's not bad, just hugely overpriced for the content (and no, I didn't mind the graphism, but the limited gameplay experience).
House of Many, Many Doors - Family Secrets (Steam GA - from gixgox)

The main story is generally well done, apart from the very wooden reading of one voice actor. Though I would say more accurately the first half is well done, and the last half they seemed to lose steam.

But on the whole an enjoyable HOG.

That said, the bonus chapter - while not the worst ever - was a bit painful. It seemed to run about 50-100% longer than the typical bonus chapter, with all the flaws mediocre bonus chapters tends to have and then one bonus flaw just to make the decision to stick around extra painful.

For one, while HOGs are always linear in some sense, the smaller and less-developed environments tend to make that obvious. This one, however, decides to add to that by making you tromp all the way back and forth across the entire map for really no good reason at all. Likewise, the logical design of the maps is generally less well considered, which isn't a big deal when you're knocking out a 40-60 minute bonus chapter with just a few central areas.

This one tops it off by having the final puzzle involve finding 12 small coins of silver and gold that you gather slowly over the entire map, over the entire 2 hour or so run. Most are obvious, but I missed one (silver camoflaged laying on top of a post of the same exact shape and general color) and I was pretty pissed.

If I were to play it again, I would skip it. Honestly, it barely makes sense anyway. Why is your starting point the same as in the original game if the House itself has teleported away across space and time? How are you in the House at all? If it is the House, why is most of the House missing other than b/c the budget didn't support an actual full-blown expansion?

Annoying.

But esp. the early chapters of the first game are pretty well done and worth playing.
Post edited April 07, 2018 by bler144
Governor of Poker

Somewhat grindy and the opponents can be random, but still pretty fun. So glad I beat the "final boss" because losing to him even once puts you back quite a bit.
Gabby2: Spec Ops The Line

Now I almost want to try more, but I have the feeling that no COD or Battlefield can really satisfy me. But I have an itch to scratch.
Kind of funny, since Spec Ops: The Line is so insistent in deriding you for having fun playing military shooters and kind of trying to be the end of them all. XD

Regarding cover shooters that aren't too hard but have a little more interesting settings, have you tried the Mass Effect series?
Leroux: Kind of funny, since Spec Ops: The Line is so insistent in deriding you for having fun playing military shooters and kind of trying to be the end of them all. XD

Regarding cover shooters that aren't too hard but have a little more interesting settings, have you tried the Mass Effect series?
True... I just like a good story, and one that treats war seriously was definitly an interesting turn.

Thanks for the tip, I tried to play ME a couple of times, had fun in the Citadel but then had to quit after so much boredom during the rover phases (what's it called, that car you use on planet surface ?). I just lost interest of the game killing turrets and tracking some useless collectibles on planets. But I had fun while it lasted, maybe I could try ME2 directly, I heard the planet car isn't here anymore - but I'd have to miss out the first story...
Gabby2:
If you're looking for something story-oriented, you could also try Binary Domain (technically at bit clunky, so there might be occasional frustrations, but I enjoyed the storytelling) or Quantum Break (beware the system requirements though).
After 20 years and a few months I finally beat best game in the whole universe - Theme Hospital! I have played it for 20 years and it is still fun! Only important thing is understand well, because when I was a child I did not speak so well English and thus I was not possibly beat it. This game is about strategy thinking and planning. Although now it seems to me much easier than a few years ago. Right now I am looking forward to CorsixTH project!
Divinity: Original Sins Enhanced Edition

What can I say? This is a chef d'oeuvre as RPG stands. This is the very best RPG I have ever played! The clever puzzles, the intense strategic combats, the engine, the sound & music....everything was perfect! Thx Larian for such an amazing time I've had.
Finished Firewatch and I really enjoyed it. Good story, dialogs and graphics too. If you like walking simulators / interactive stories, go for it !

Full list here.
poulpy72: Divinity: Original Sins Enhanced Edition

What can I say? This is a chef d'oeuvre as RPG stands. This is the very best RPG I have ever played! The clever puzzles, the intense strategic combats, the engine, the sound & music....everything was perfect! Thx Larian for such an amazing time I've had.
At this point I'm thinking I should just skip Divinity 2, even though I bought it, and go right to Original Sin.
poulpy72: Divinity: Original Sins Enhanced Edition

tinyE: At this point I'm thinking I should just skip Divinity 2, even though I bought it, and go right to Original Sin.
It was my first Divinity game and it really is that good!! I have Beyond and Divine on my wishlist. Divinity 2 is not isometric so it's not catching my interest. If you try D:OSEE, let us know what you think.
tinyE: At this point I'm thinking I should just skip Divinity 2, even though I bought it, and go right to Original Sin.
poulpy72: It was my first Divinity game and it really is that good!! I have Beyond and Divine on my wishlist. Divinity 2 is not isometric so it's not catching my interest. If you try D:OSEE, let us know what you think.
Beyond is BOOOOOORING! :P

Divine, while old, and that shows, is one of my favorite games ever.