It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Skyrim: Legendary Edition (PS4)

This is the 3rd version of Skyrim I've been given as a Christmas present, I wouldn't have picked it myself but I thought it would be good to have another playthrough. I've only ever brought graphical remakes if their easier to get a hold of than the original versions (Okami for example) as graphics don't really sell a game for me. To be honest I don't know how better the graphics were in this version, I didn't see a noticeable difference. The back of the box tells me the game has 'Remastered Art and Effects, Volumetric God Rays, Dynamic Depth of Field and more'. I have no idea what a volumetric god ray is, and what I had hoped the 'and more' meant was they fixed the major bugs that was in the PS3 version, which was the worst version as far as I'm aware and was the first version I owned.

One thing they did add was Quicksaving, which I didn't think it needed, until it got it, especially on the harder difficulties having to start from a dungeon beginning is a nightmare, I abused it like hell. Loading screens were also about 3x shorter than in the PS3 version, I rarely saw the loading screen be on screen long enough for the text on the bottom right to change. Theirs also something called Creators Club, which I considered using but decided against it as I wanted to get all achievements and wasn't sure if that would affect it, also when I saw in the top right of the start screen "Things in the Creators Club now 50% off" I refused to even look at it.

My goal in this playthrough was to get 100% of acheivments, including the DLC ones, and have the last acheivment completed to be the one for completing the Main Quest. Now... if they removed 1 certain acheivment, I could have done this in a week, instead it took 2 weeks, that acheivment being 'Kill a Legendary Dragon' which requires you to be Level 78. By the time I had finished every dungeon (Save Skuldafn) and unique side quest, I was level 73, and that included time spent casting magic while walking around. A day after that a friend told me that block was the best skill to train to raise levels, and it proved right, was a boring few hours but I got there in the end. I even changed the difficulty to Legendary for the last Quest just to say 'Yeah I beat Skyrim on Legendary' (Even though it was either on expert or adept most of the way through). The funny thing was, on Legendary difficulty, Alduin is pretty easy, the gatekeeper is much harder.

Now the main reason I played, bugs. Having had playthroughs ruined by bugs (My 1st playthrough Esbern froze and I was locked out the main quest, plus the infamous water freezing bug) I wanted to see what had been fixed. I had played the original PS3 version only a year ago, so bug from the previous version was still fresh in my mind. The 2nd part of the White Phial quest can now be started, you can also start the windhelm murder mystery quest the correct way now, without having to break into a house. The Malacath quest is also startable without you needing to wallrun along the side of a cliff.

I was hopeful that the most well known bugs at least would have been fixed, like how if you visit Castle Volkihaar before starting Dawnguard then the gate wouldn't open when you arrived the 2nd time. My friend had this happen to him years ago, and I forgot about it, but that bug is still around... must be 4 years or so since it was known about, had to run at the gate with a wooden tray to noclip through. Civil War Questline is still buggy, with invisible enemies and Commanders refusing to give quests. There are still 3 shouts called Drain Vitality for some reason. There were also several minor bugs that were new to me. THe new gildergreen growing while the old one was still there, underforge was inaccessible after Companion Questline. A rather frustrating bug, was that the epic soundtrack that normally plays in the last 2 dungeons of the main quest, didn't play, it was either silent or the standard exploring theme. That was one of my favourite songs in the game and I didn't get to hear it. D:

While I did enjoy the playthrough, I think this will probably be my last one... for a few years at least. It astonishes me that certain major bugs were still around 5 years later. It also astonished me that Dragonborns main quest is only 4 quests long, I could've sworn it felt longer when I last played it. My recommendation. Get the PC version, you get an unofficial patch and a command console.
Skyrim Special Edition (XB1X)

Weird, same game, two entries in a row. What are the odds? Though my game says Special Edition, what's the diff between that and Legendary Edition I wonder?

Anyway, huge game and lots of fun. I played it almost to full 100% but couldn't be bothered with all the random Thieves Guild stuff just to get a few achievements. I did all story stuff and almost all side stuff for the main game and DLC's which are all included in this version.

I liked it better than Oblivion but not as much as Fallout 3 and New Vegas and I haven't played Fallout 4 (soon though).

I had no glitches or bugs as far I know. Well, okay...my wife did disappear for what seemed like about 1/3rd of the game and I assumed she either bugged out or got accidentally killed by bandits or something when I wasn't looking. But then one day she just turned up again as though nothing happened. But I'm not married in RL... maybe wives do that?

Technically it was pretty fine. Native 4k resolution with what felt like a smooth frame rate all the way. Not cutting edge visiuals but damn fine just the same.
PaterAlf: Enclave
What difficulty did you play on? (Not that it changes anything about the inconsistency, I'm just curious.)

CMOT70: Skyrim Special Edition (XB1X)

Weird, same game, two entries in a row. What are the odds?
I'd have said: "With a popular game like Skyrim, not too bad, I guess." But then I thought about it and wondered: What are the odds of anyone ever completing Skyrim in the first place? XD
Post edited February 02, 2018 by Leroux
PaterAlf: Enclave
Leroux: What difficulty did you play on? (Not that it changes anything about the inconsistency, I'm just curious.)
Normal difficulty. I often wished that I would have chosen easy instead.
PaterAlf: Normal difficulty. I often wished that I would have chosen easy instead.
Yeah, I played it on Easy, because I had already heard about the difficulty getting insane otherwise. It was still challenging at times, but the checkpoint system was much more tolerable that way.
Leroux: What difficulty did you play on? (Not that it changes anything about the inconsistency, I'm just curious.)
PaterAlf: Normal difficulty. I often wished that I would have chosen easy instead.
I made that mistake in my first run, started again on "easy" years later and finally finished it.

Inconsistent indeed.
1. Ys IV (PCE CD)
2. Exile (w/ Unworked Designs patch)(PCE CD)
3. Macross 2036 (PCE CD)
4. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC)
5. AM2R (PC)
6. TaleSpin (NES)
7. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)
8. Super Mario 64 (N64)

Was never a fan and I'm still not too keen on it, mainly because I could never be completely comfortable with the controls/camera for more than short bursts here and there and because I hate being thrown out of levels and having to repeat stuff. Just felt like giving it an honest chance so I can enjoy the speedruns, maybe appreciate the later 3D ones better and to really know what I'm talking about when it comes up. It's a shame there's no proper remake with stick control.
Seven: The Days long gone

Very nice stealthy rpg. Loved the story and the steampunk and the stealing and sneaking. Highly recommended. As for bugs I have not encountered any really (well nothing gamebreaking). I sometimes thought I did and then after some trying it turned out I was just doing it wrong ;)
I played another rpgmaker game this time pocket quest, it's on rpgmaker.net as a featured game.
Played it the last 3 or 4 days when i had time and it certainly is a great charming board game with rpg elements and i enjoyed it very much.
Firewatch

A "Walking Simulator" done right. Graphics are beautiful, the story is very interesting and thought-provoking and the voice-over is excellent. With these ingredients the game creates an atmosphere of loneliness, tense and paranoia that is outstanding. Compared to the build-up the ending of the story was a little underwhelming, but I think it was a worthy conclusion to the story.

Definitely recommended for people who like games with a strong narrative element.

Thank you to my Secret Santa who gifted me this game!

Complete list of finished games in 2018
Wings of Liberty

I don't think I can put into words how much I loved this game. Absolutely every second of it was amazing.
The Emerald Maiden: Symphony of Dreams (Gift from GA)

Artifex Mundi HOG

Pros:
Quirky, charming
Kittens!
Concept/setting works well, for the most part

Cons:
Feels really rushed in parts.
A bit superficial - The "dream worlds" in particular feel like an opportunity wasted.
Some of the translation work to English was pretty sloppy ("mysteries" when they meant "mysterious," etc.). Understandable nonetheless.

Somewhere in the middle:
Very short - even with the bonus chapter it ran under 3.5 hours
Low difficulty - in terms of gameplay it would be a decent introduction for a younger player, or a low-stress indulgence for an experienced player - the trade-off is the evil mind control theme and sharks limit just how young a gamer, perhaps.

Summary: Not the best game of its genre, and not particularly challenge, but a fun little aperitif, nonetheless. On deep discount or free in a GA/bundle, it's worth a playthrough, if overpriced at $9.99 standard price.
Dracula 3 - The Path of the Dragon is adventure full of mostly logical puzzles. From this reason I must say, that it is one of the best games of this genre which I have ever played. Story is interesting, there are no "deaf" spots, but it could be really hard for not native speakers. Usually I have no problems with English in games, but this time I used dictionary sometimes.
Post edited February 04, 2018 by IXOXI
Tales From the Borderlands, Feb 4 (GOG)- Wow Telltale can do comedy just as well as drama. Maybe that's a silly statement because of Sam and Max and Monkey Island and such but Borderlands was differently funny. That's probably because Borderlands never had any breaks in the narrative like traditional adventure games when players get stuck. It reminded me and I tried to play it as Pirates of the Caribbean in Space. I hope The Walking Dead and Minecraft make them enough money to eventually do a sequel for Borderlands because these are characters I want to see again.

Full List
IXOXI: Dracula 3 - The Path of the Dragon is adventure full of mostly logical puzzles. From this reason I must say, that it is one of the best games of this genre which I have ever played. Story is interesting, there are no "deaf" spots, but it could be really hard for not native speakers. Usually I have no problems with English in games, but this time I used dictionary sometimes.
High five! It's one of my favorite games ever and I try to promote it every time I can :)