It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thiefer: Just finished my second playthrough of Aztaka.
First time was way back when it was released in 2009. Still one of my favourite indie RPGs/Metroidvanias. Unforgettable setting and incredible hand-drawn level art.
Leroux: I always thought it looked interesting, but up until now I've only ever read from people who deemed it rather forgettable and not that good, never from someone who actually played it twice. That's encouraging me not to write it off completely and to give it another try some day, thanks! :)
I think it's the fact that it was my first indie title of that ilk, and the presentation, right off the bat, just left me in awe.
It has its rough edges, unquestionably. Discovering where to go and whom to talk to is unclear at times, no in-game map for the sometimes maze-like levels, respawning enemies, and difficult close-range combat at first until you figure out a little 'trick'. On the brighter side, it's got a cool spell system, great sound design, a lot of secrets to find, great bosses, and you can grind endlessly to make Huitzilo quite powerful. Decent play-style customization, too.
Give it a shot.
Ricky_Bobby: Sort of finished the Star Trek: 25th Anniversary game. Well ... I gave up after 50 or so attempts at the final battle.
I'm always destroyed within 20 seconds no matter what strategy I use. My patience is long gone.
So technically I didn't finish the game, but psychologically I feel like I did since I'm just one short battle away.

My opinion of the game is mixed: the voice-acting was awesome and I liked the Adventure side of the game.
What I did not like was the combat and that a couple of the puzzles felt completely obscure to me.

On the whole I'd rate the game 3/5 or 4/5. I'm certainly glad I finally got to play the game after these many years.
You probably aren't inclined to try once more, but in the final battle this generally works for me: 1.) Destroy the Elasi frigate which can fire 3 photon torpedoes as soon as possible as it's very dangerous 2.) After that destroy the other Elasi frigate - then save your game; if your ship is badly damaged, try to take evasive action and give orders for repairs, 3) finally, destroy the fake Enterprise (if you can, avoid confronting it head-on). That order of things works for me, it's important to get rid of the Elasi first. It's a difficult fight, but doable.
Finished Inquisitor as a Priest.
Bless PC gaming for speedhacks cause walking speed is test of patience, even Divinie Divinity (biggest inspiration for the game) have sprint.

One thing to make combat enjoyable? Don't go melee. Sure as Paladin you can repair equipment in deepest dungeouns but you do better by teleporting back to town.
My first characters were terrible with badly spend skillpoints (they were as precious as the skillpoints in Beyond Divinity) and last one was also not that perfect but good enough to reach finale. Final showdown was ok except random deaths (no spells, no effect, no attacks, no information, no sounds, just YOU DIED, luckily there is Salvation which leave you with 1HP and use mana pool for your safety).

All that heretical hunt was p.predictable because you knew that the most important NPCs in every acts are heretics in 99% of the cases.
Got hope that after getting my first offensive spell at lvl15 seals (they have same role as offensive runes in Gothic) can be ditched but nope, there is long delay between casting and spell can fizzle or not penetrate. Thing it - there is no spell that you can cast while holding Shift and point at general direction. You must choose enemy and pray for good roll...

Last Act is filled with dungeons. If you don't have high tier spells like Rain of Fire to clean rooms - you gonna have HARD time in some of them (by that I mean - most of them).
Each character have one stat that need most points (and can be raised to 100 compared to other stats capped at 50). Priest pump up Intelligence and Thief dexterity. But Paladin? Well, he need good Str (damage+hp), dexterity (to hit anything), Con (bigger HP pool) and on top of that - Speed for better Defense and walking speed (duh). Ok, he can repair his equipment in deepest dungeons and can wear nice plate armors but that's not worth it, seriously....

Alchemy sounds cool but was useless. Permanent potions? Why even bother when you can find Devil Roots and pay 1.000 gold to make one? Money was not a problem after cleaning first dungeon in Act1.
Promotions are easy - do quest for your promoter. Unless you're Priest, then you need to pass exam too. And final exam is in Latin...

I'm sure that his bladder is destroyed after massive potion chugfest. And I'm sure these sudden deaths is the way to bring challenge at the end of the game.

I think about second playthrough as an Evil Priest (there is option to join the bad guys named Children of the New Order) with better skills development this time...

My character in the attached image.
Attachments:
Post edited March 15, 2017 by SpecShadow
I finally completed Clive Barker's Undying. I had attempted the game before but could not complete it. When I finally decided to go through it, I had to use the easy mode since I was a bit out of practice with the keyboard and mouse. I was surprised at how long the game and what it involved.
infinite9: I finally completed Clive Barker's Undying. I had attempted the game before but could not complete it. When I finally decided to go through it, I had to use the easy mode since I was a bit out of practice with the keyboard and mouse. I was surprised at how long the game and what it involved.
What about controls? Does it work like modern FPSs with WSAD keys for moving and mouse for aiming?

I'm struggling Duke Nukem 3D and it was necessary to switch to Arrow Keys + Ctrl, which is the default setting. It was difficult as hell at the beginning, but I wasn't able to change the controls to WSAD+mouse. Technically speaking - it's possible. But in practice it just doesn't work like it should :/
Ricky_Bobby: Sort of finished the Star Trek: 25th Anniversary game. Well ... I gave up after 50 or so attempts at the final battle.
I'm always destroyed within 20 seconds no matter what strategy I use. My patience is long gone.
So technically I didn't finish the game, but psychologically I feel like I did since I'm just one short battle away.
morolf: You probably aren't inclined to try once more, but in the final battle this generally works for me: 1.) Destroy the Elasi frigate which can fire 3 photon torpedoes as soon as possible as it's very dangerous 2.) After that destroy the other Elasi frigate - then save your game; if your ship is badly damaged, try to take evasive action and give orders for repairs, 3) finally, destroy the fake Enterprise (if you can, avoid confronting it head-on). That order of things works for me, it's important to get rid of the Elasi first. It's a difficult fight, but doable.
Hm, I did not know you could save even during battle, I might try that out actually. It might just make the difference.
So thanks for posting !
I finished a second playthrough of Meridian Squad 22. I felt my first playthrough was too messy since I did not specialize the upgrading and instead upgraded a little bit of everything. It made things unnecessarily difficult. It was a not a playthrough I was happy with. To me these kind of games are more fun when you know what you are doing.

In my second playthrough I focused the upgrading on my assault guys and holy crap did they become real freakin' terminators. I had "hero powers" that allowed me to put shields on them as well powers that increased their damage.
So, plan your upgrade path: focus either on mechs and tanks, or on troops. The ships and planes are mainly there for support.

And then there's the turrets. I don't think I could have beaten the game without them. They are more or less crucial in any RTS, at least in those I've played. This is also one of those RTS games where you have to go out and build manufacturing bases as early on as possible. If you don't expand your operations quickly it's too easy to get overwhelmed by the waves of enemies, as you run out of resources.

If I can sum up the game: very difficult at the start of each mission, however once you get a second manufacturing site things usually turn to your favour. The AI is the weakest part of the game, it's very clumsy to order them around. The cool things about the game are the storyline, the mix of squad-based combat and RTS, and the upgrade system.
It took me 12 hours or so to beat the campaign, as I'm not particularily good at RTS.
Post edited March 16, 2017 by Ricky_Bobby
Finished D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. This is quite a disappointment:
- The story doesn't make any sense and the first "season" is made of 3 episodes that barely starts a story. And it ends on a big "To be continued".
- Gameplay is ok but filled with useless collectibles.
- Annoying characters (even on that speaks very slowly and his dialogs cannot be skipped most of the time)

Full list is here.
Bladerunner (1997)

Knowing that this probably wasn't going to get a rerelease anytime soon I decided to buy an old copy and see if I could get it to run on a Windows 10 Laptop, it was actually surprisingly easy, I did have to install 2 bits of software to get it to work properly but about 2 hours after getting the game (and with very little experience in getting old disks to work on modern pc's) was able to start playing it. It's a point and click set in the Bladerunner universe, you play a rookie Bladerunner, originally tasked with solving an animal murder, but the plot extends and doubts start to set in etc, standard detective game stuff. You go to sites and look for clues or examine photo's, using technology to enhance certain areas of them to find more clues. There are 3 difficulty modes, which determine how much bullets and money you can carry on you.

There are many different endings, someone told me 13, but as far as I can tell the ending is based on:
Who you fall in love with (Can be no one)
How well you perform your Job
Who you kill
Whether a certain person is a replicant or not (It's random)
The choice you make in the final chapter

When I read the instructions it did suggest you could withhold evidence or sabotage a replicant test to give a certain result, but I'm not sure if it made it into the game. I've never seen the movie, though I probably should, but I did enjoy the game. There weren't really any puzzles, the difficulty came from not knowing how to get to a certain location, certain events also wouldn't start unless you just waited in an area long enough, which was slightly frustrating. The ending I was trying to get (The doing the job well ending) was made impossible for me cause I fell in love with the wrong person and failed to shoot a replicant in time. It's very short, and travelling between places can take a long time but I enjoyed it, it's cheap and it works well on Modern PC's, so I'd recommend it.
SpecShadow: Finished Inquisitor as a Priest.
Bless PC gaming for speedhacks cause walking speed is test of patience, even Divinie Divinity (biggest inspiration for the game) have sprint.

One thing to make combat enjoyable? Don't go melee. Sure as Paladin you can repair equipment in deepest dungeouns but you do better by teleporting back to town.
My first characters were terrible with badly spend skillpoints (they were as precious as the skillpoints in Beyond Divinity) and last one was also not that perfect but good enough to reach finale. Final showdown was ok except random deaths (no spells, no effect, no attacks, no information, no sounds, just YOU DIED, luckily there is Salvation which leave you with 1HP and use mana pool for your safety).

All that heretical hunt was p.predictable because you knew that the most important NPCs in every acts are heretics in 99% of the cases.
Got hope that after getting my first offensive spell at lvl15 seals (they have same role as offensive runes in Gothic) can be ditched but nope, there is long delay between casting and spell can fizzle or not penetrate. Thing it - there is no spell that you can cast while holding Shift and point at general direction. You must choose enemy and pray for good roll...

Last Act is filled with dungeons. If you don't have high tier spells like Rain of Fire to clean rooms - you gonna have HARD time in some of them (by that I mean - most of them).
Each character have one stat that need most points (and can be raised to 100 compared to other stats capped at 50). Priest pump up Intelligence and Thief dexterity. But Paladin? Well, he need good Str (damage+hp), dexterity (to hit anything), Con (bigger HP pool) and on top of that - Speed for better Defense and walking speed (duh). Ok, he can repair his equipment in deepest dungeons and can wear nice plate armors but that's not worth it, seriously....

Alchemy sounds cool but was useless. Permanent potions? Why even bother when you can find Devil Roots and pay 1.000 gold to make one? Money was not a problem after cleaning first dungeon in Act1.
Promotions are easy - do quest for your promoter. Unless you're Priest, then you need to pass exam too. And final exam is in Latin...

I'm sure that his bladder is destroyed after massive potion chugfest. And I'm sure these sudden deaths is the way to bring challenge at the end of the game.

I think about second playthrough as an Evil Priest (there is option to join the bad guys named Children of the New Order) with better skills development this time...

My character in the attached image.
Wow! How long did it take you to finish that game?... I honestly tried to play, but it's so hard, I enjoyed the concept of being an inquisitor, the RPG thing and all that but the quantity of healing and magic potions you have to spend is simply heretical hahaha!
infinite9: I finally completed Clive Barker's Undying. I had attempted the game before but could not complete it. When I finally decided to go through it, I had to use the easy mode since I was a bit out of practice with the keyboard and mouse. I was surprised at how long the game and what it involved.
ciemnogrodzianin: What about controls? Does it work like modern FPSs with WSAD keys for moving and mouse for aiming?

I'm struggling Duke Nukem 3D and it was necessary to switch to Arrow Keys + Ctrl, which is the default setting. It was difficult as hell at the beginning, but I wasn't able to change the controls to WSAD+mouse. Technically speaking - it's possible. But in practice it just doesn't work like it should :/
It works with the WSAD keys and the mouse for aiming, turning, and using weapons and spells. I was a bit out of practice with such control set ups and many games I play are either on a console or on a PC with an Xbox One controller.

There were other complications like the mouse accidentally shifting resulting in me not knowing what I was looking at. Other than that, the game was enjoyable although I had to look on Gamefaqs because of a few cases of puzzles with hidden features or boss fights that require a certain trick.
infinite9: It works with the WSAD keys and the mouse for aiming, turning, and using weapons and spells. I was a bit out of practice with such control set ups and many games I play are either on a console or on a PC with an Xbox One controller.

There were other complications like the mouse accidentally shifting resulting in me not knowing what I was looking at. Other than that, the game was enjoyable although I had to look on Gamefaqs because of a few cases of puzzles with hidden features or boss fights that require a certain trick.
Thanks for the answer.
I've bought it for my wife, but I think I should try it too :)

Regarding solutions - old games are different and we were different ;) When we was younger and we had a lot of time to look for solution (without Internet available it sometimes took weeks to find a clue) and beating those games without any help was possible (or some of them was just left unbeaten). Today I usually found myself checking the solution online after a few hours or even earlier...
SpecShadow: Finished Inquisitor as a Priest.
KWizard7: Wow! How long did it take you to finish that game?... I honestly tried to play, but it's so hard, I enjoyed the concept of being an inquisitor, the RPG thing and all that but the quantity of healing and magic potions you have to spend is simply heretical hahaha!
Around 70h.
If you use speedhacks (CheatEngine) to boost up walking speed it does not bore you to death with slow pacing.
It's definitely worth a try.
Cognition - An Erica Reed Thriller

You are Erica Reed a detective dealing with loss, a serial killer and who has 'powers' to see pieces of the past. The way this is added to tradtional point & click adventure format gives a clever little innovation in both it's puzzles and story telling.

Up until Episode 4 I thought this was the best narative to an adventure story I've ever come across. The first episode is introducing you to the characters and several mystery plots that you will investigate to find the truth. Persist with the game after a good but not great first episode because it gets better. The second and third episodes really fleshes out the story with an immersive plot full of twists and turns. The peak being episode 3.

The final episode is a let down partly down to '2 boss puzzles' that are overly tough for my liking but also because the story goes all over the place. Honestly I can't play a game like this without a gameboomers walkthrough running in the background and I suggest for all but the most hardcore puzzlers to do the same if you actually want to enjoy it.

It isn't for the squimish, some of the gore is maybe a tad unnecessary and unrealistic even for a serial killer. Another downside is excessive running/walking between scenes when you're solving a puzzle, ie there's no fast travel in some places. But these are small complaints.

Still the depth of the characters, the story arch and the twists and turns are up there with the best I've come across in an adventure game and it's worth these
Just finished Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (credits are actually still rolling). My expectations weren't too high because I already disliked the original game but everyone kept telling me that the second one is the best entry in the entire series so I was hoping that I would enjoy it at least somewhat. Sadly not really.

The game is of course expertly executed (albeit still with flaws) but that's it. I was just bored most of the time and couldn't wait for the game to end. The combat is mediocre (and there's just far too much of it!), the platforming is trivial, the story is by the book, the locations feel like stuff I've seen in hundreds of games already. There's dozens of Michael Bay moments which have no effect on me because I know that it's just facade, there's no actual danger in them and even when there's some danger the worst thing the game requires from me is pointing at usually obvious points and pressing the jump button until the dramatic sequence is over. It just doesn't do it for me. The exceptions to it were two sequences that had me fight on car roofs in a convoy or on a train because those were the only moments where crazy ideas in the script also resulted in somewhat different gameplay, threw new challenges at me.

And like in the first game some stuff is just unforgivably bad. The controls are a tad imprecise and far too many deaths were cause by Drake hanging from a ledge instead of taking cover because both actions are mapped to the same button - and even when there's no ledge to jump down from he'll sometimes refuse to take cover for no reason. Ammo isn't automatically picked up so if you want to stock up on ammo you have to carefully position yourself and look at the icon at the bottom of the screen to make sure that you're picking up ammo instead of replacing your gun which is a nightmare during gunfights. Enemies are uninspired and don't encourage interesting tactics. Puzzles are rare and laughably simple. And finally the level art is not used well to convey the right way. The sole fact that whenever you stay in an area for too long the game will drop hints on you is a testament to how badly the environments are designed and how badly legitimate tools are used to point in the right direction.

I will eventually force myself through the remaining two games but I'm really not looking forward to it.