It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's see.

On PC:
Fallout 2
Innocent Until Caught
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Menzoberranzan
DragonStrike
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal
(non-Enhanced)

Quite an AD&D year that.

On consoles:
Super Robot Wars J (for a 3rd and 4th time, actually)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
The 7th Saga
Terranigma
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2

Will start playing SRW J for a 5th time today. Probably will count for the first game finished in 2017, since I don't play a lot.
lukaszthegreat: Tyranny
I tried to play as evil guy. and that resulted in very weak tiers.
So in the end it's another of those stories that encourages you to be less evil than the empire, despite all the promo talk about a game in which you're playing the bad guy?
lukaszthegreat: Tyranny
I tried to play as evil guy. and that resulted in very weak tiers.
Leroux: So in the end it's another of those stories that encourages you to be less evil than the empire, despite all the promo talk about a game in which you're playing the bad guy?
you can't be a good guy in this game.

what i did is i wanted to side with the empire and just made myself empires greater servant. and thats not how the story developed, it just took a turn in a weird direction at the end.

making tiers weak, crushing the population was my goal so every option i took was towards that goal. That's why i sided with chorus because I expected them to just kill each other after the war is over.

then five minutes before end you are declared enemy of Kyros. out of nowhere. which doesnt fit my goals at all.
Prince of Persia 2 : The Shadow and the Flame

I'm incredibly relieved. I was just about pulling my hair out towards the end :P
Attachments:
finally.jpg (104 Kb)
Shogo: Mobile armor division
For the most part it's an ok shooter, maybe a bit on the cheap side, but still ok.
The level design is fine, but a far cry from the Build engine games or the Doom engine games.
The enemies are varied enough, but their ai is atrocious. Several enemies and even a few bosses have killed themselves because they couldn't grasp the concept of not shooting the floor they stand on. Two bosses, including one of the final bosses, just stood there while I was shooting them. I guess they didn't get the memo that I was already in the arena. Oh wait, they did because they told me themselves. The ai is broken in so many wondrous ways. So funny.
The game introduces critical hits that can heal you, for some ungodly reason. Now imagine what will happen if your squishy body gets hit by an enemy's critical hit. That's right, you get to reload. I can't even tell how many times I died instantly in the same microsecond I opened a door, or turned a corner. So annoying.
The mechs feel a bit better, but the gameplay is mostly unchanged.
The platforming, the stupid, badly implemented first person platforming with floaty controls and wind gliding gimmicks. Oh boy, what could possibly be worse?
The game heavily pushes its anime inspired story and characters on the player which, of course, includes all the stupid anime cliches that I can't stand. Maybe others will have a better tolerance to it than I did.
6/10
Grey Goo + DLC

A creative RTS, with some really interesting features. The Goo in particular was interesting to play, and the cutscenes were well done.

Quite a few things didn't work, however. The human setup in particular felt clunky, and trying to unlock their epic unit kept not working, for reasons I never cracked.

But played through the campaign - mostly on easy. And even on easy there were still some significant challenges, partly b/c the AI on easy is still pretty efficient, and many boards have scripted attack events out of nowhere. [Also in a few cases the "solution" to the board isn't intuitive. I spent 20 minutes at one point looking for a guy I'd inadvertently already added into my army, and the "Mission" guidance was still just generically saying "find him and return him to your base" so I assumed I was still looking for him.]

All told, I'd still probably prefer RTSing in a classic (Starcraft 1, Warcraft 1-3, Rise of Nations, etc.) , despite the polish and cool features here. It's good, it just doesn't quite come together enough to be a classic.
Post edited December 05, 2016 by bler144
WH40k: Dawn of War II
It was that way - I played it 2 years after release, get bored in the middle, but still bought next ones (Chaos Rising and Retribution) which were pretty cool games. I gave it a shot again and almost started using trainer when Tyranids appeared.
I got the idea behind flood of biological soldiers but not when you get few weak units under your command, so called Space Marines, pffff.
Even on Easy it was tedious as hell and I'm not afraid of tedious work (in real life) or games, but this thing was too much.

Grim Dawn
Fantastic if you go melee, but I went ranged (rifles and pistols) with badly spend skillpoints. Almost dropped to continue my melee builds but then - got few levels and did better job at spending them.
One thing - they should not force you to choose 2nd class to make hybrid one, I only ended wasting 10 points into useless build. Eh...
It almost shared biggest problem of Titan Quest - too long for it own good - but on the other hand end boss (and last chapter in general) felt really underwhelming. Reached the source of the problem but no fanfares, and all you got in final chat is "go get some rest" (and start new game on bigger difficulty).
Dolphin Blue is a spiritual successor to the Metal Slug series that mixes 2D characters with 3D backgrounds. It supposedly was made by at least some of the Metal Slug guys, but at any rate it was a pretty good imitation - war-themed run and gun action with a lot of cartoon humor. The twist in this game is that instead of using vehicles, you've got a dolphin sidekick who helps you out and there are stages in which you ride him across the water (also some underwater stages).

It's a very nice-looking game, but although the 2D/3D mix is well-implemented it still can't compare to the lush pixel art of the earlier Nazca games. The sense of fun is there, however, even if the characters in this game feel to me a bit slow compared to similar games.
sibberke: Include me

Hopefully, my 2016 list will be longer than the 2015 (only 1 game finished) list. Seems like a good New Year's resolution :)

List so far:
#1: Pillars of Eternity (19/01)
and 2016 doesn't seem much different from 2015 :D
The Warriors (PS2)

Plenty of movies also have video game adaptations, though that usually happens with movies that are still in cinema's at the time of the games release, the game came out in 2005 and the movie, 1979. I haven't seen the movie but the story in the game follows a gang called the Warriors, who have been falsely accused of murdering a high ranking gangster and must fight their way back home defending themselves against the gangs of New York. Well that's the story the back of the box says it had, but it doesn't take place until the last 4 levels of the game, before that you must do standard gang stuff, steal car radios, rob shops, mug people, throw other gangs under trains, throw a Molotov at a prostitute etc. The game is a brawler and you'll be controlling one member of the gang whilst giving orders to the others, this leads to mass brawls against the gangs of New York who range from a bunch of mimes to skinheads. The game is very fun, the controls are easy and the music is intense. One thing you can do is steal other peoples hats, and if you can manage to not get it knocked off, the gang member will still have it on in later cutscenes and levels.

There were 1 minor problem and 1 less minor problem and 1 really annoying problem. The minor problem I had with it, was the credits lists all the graffiti artists they hired for the game to help make New York realistic, but The Warriors have the worst tag in the entire game (It's literally a red W), the tagging mechanic is also frustrating. The bigger problem was that friendly fire is on, and about ¼ of the people you hit will be your own brothers, and to make it more annoying your gang will do stupid things like charge and dive into you, knocking you over, as well as throwing molotovs on enemies who are standing next to them, setting themselves on fire. The really annoying part was you use stealth during three levels in the game, the first level, and 2 of the last three levels. I found it annoying that they expect you to remember how to do a stealth kill after going through about 15 levels of no stealth.

But those are just little niggles, the game is incredibly fun and I would recommend getting it. It's also available on Xbox I believe.
Alien Isolation (PS4)

I played on “Hard” difficulty, with the further self-imposed restriction of not using weapons or crafted items (except where forced to by the game). I really enjoyed the stealth component of this game a lot, the feeling of helplessness as the alien stalks you is great as is the claustrophobic feeling you get when hiding. I also really enjoyed the fact that the game uses manual saves but only at designated save-points, this greatly increases the tension.

What I disliked about the game is that it’s extremely linear with scripted events; often doors will magically lock or unlock to funnel you in the correct direction, and enemies will sometimes only appear in certain areas when you are nearby. Furthermore, towards the end of the game there are some areas where you are forced to use violence, which I personally resented as I was trying to make it through the game using pure stealth.

So overall I’d give it a rating of just “OK”.
Finished two games lately:
- King's Quest V: graphics start to look better, story is quite good but the puzzles are still impossible to solve without a walkthrough.
- OIO: nice platformers without much variation and not very long

Full list here.
magejake50: The Warriors (PS2)

Plenty of movies also have video game adaptations, though that usually happens with movies that are still in cinema's at the time of the games release, the game came out in 2005 and the movie, 1979. I haven't seen the movie but the story in the game follows a gang called the Warriors, who have been falsely accused of murdering a high ranking gangster and must fight their way back home defending themselves against the gangs of New York. Well that's the story the back of the box says it had, but it doesn't take place until the last 4 levels of the game, before that you must do standard gang stuff, steal car radios, rob shops, mug people, throw other gangs under trains, throw a Molotov at a prostitute etc. The game is a brawler and you'll be controlling one member of the gang whilst giving orders to the others, this leads to mass brawls against the gangs of New York who range from a bunch of mimes to skinheads. The game is very fun, the controls are easy and the music is intense. One thing you can do is steal other peoples hats, and if you can manage to not get it knocked off, the gang member will still have it on in later cutscenes and levels.

But those are just little niggles, the game is incredibly fun and I would recommend getting it. It's also available on Xbox I believe.
Yup, I have the Xbox version. Love this game. Not only is it fun to play but it's a wonderful tribute to the movie, which is excellent and you should definitely see it (preferably the original version, not the "special edition" with the comic book-style interludes. I only wish they could have gotten David Patrick Kelly to come back and do Luther's voice.

sebarnolds: Finished two games lately:
- King's Quest V: graphics start to look better, story is quite good but the puzzles are still impossible to solve without a walkthrough.
Ugh, that damn puzzle with the mouse being chased by the cat...
Post edited December 09, 2016 by andysheets1975
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

I love the Commandos type of games, so I had to get this one even though I initially thought it might be a little bit overpriced. It's a great revival of the genre, and it also has a little bit of replay value since most levels can be beaten in a couple of ways and you can earn badges (achievements) by fulfilling certain criteria. My only complaint is that the story was a bit predictable (I figured out who the end boss would be by level 3 or 4) but it's not a huge deal. I really hope the developers will make sequels for this in the future, maybe set in different time periods. The genre is definitely one of my biggest favorites.
Added more to my list:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2016/post68

Just finished up Hitman: The Full Experience (2016).

Namely, the Story Mode / Single Player Campaign.

Best Hitman game since Blood Money.

I liked Absolution a lot (i.e. for varying mission types with some Hitman-style huge sandbox levels + some if the Splinter Cell linear type of level; new features like the Batman Arkham series X-Ray mode that Hitman took that's called Instinct; much better story; Leadersboard to compare yourself against other players World-Wide), despite some of my issues with it. Absolution lacked some of the typical Hitman series things (i.e. lots of different foreign + exotic type of level; lots of world-wide globe-trotting; not a lot of them old-school Hitman-style huge sandbox style levels).

Hitman 2016 took everything great about both the old-school Hitman games (i.e. namely, those Hitman games before Absolution - i.e. Hitman 2: SA, Hitman: Contracts, and Hitman: Blood Money) and some of the new stuff Absolution from that game (except those linear Absolution levels that felt very Splinter Cell-like in linearity). Not only that, but Hitman 2016 levels often feel much bigger & grander in size + scope; more NPC's roaming; more ways to hurt + kill targets; and have way more going on in the actual game-world.

While the story + character development isn't anything spectacular by any means (i.e. like most of the older Hitman games before Absolution), it's still decent enough to just tie together why you're back to globetrotting around the world, knocking off specific targets. Don't expect Deus Ex-level storytelling + character development by any means here.