It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Toy Soldiers

Finished the campaign. There are still a couple of other game modes (Campaign+, The Kaiser's Battle and Invasion) but they're just more of the same so I think I'm gonna skip 'em. Well, the game's a tower defense game with the exception that you are free to directly control all of the guns yourself for extra damage. There are also tanks and airplanes which you can also control. It's a good game, definitely better than the average tower defense. I like the theme: these are toys and "the war" is just some kids playing, I think. In the background you can see all kinds of things that support the idea that the battlefields happen in a closed vitrine. There are a good number of different weapons and more are unlocked as you advance in the campaign. There are optional extra objectives in the levels too, such as getting a 25x blast combo with a tank. The difficulty is about right, although I would've appreciated a pause button. The sounds were sometimes buggy but other than that, there weren't any technical issues. In short, it's a good tower defense game to add to the libraries of those who like the genre.
Red Faction II

The first Red Faction was a very cool game, which was let down by 2 crappy stealth sequences and a stupidly frustrating last section. Red Faction II, on the other hand is not cool.

Whereas the previous game took you to a nice trip through the planet of Mars, Red Faction II takes place on Earth, which is already a big minus for me. Gone are the expansive environments and the sense of journey, which have now been replaced by mostly-grey corridors with predictable shooting encounters. On the positive side, you'll be finding more explosives to blow up those depressive grey environments, which at least counts for something. What certainly doesn't, is the weak way that combat is handled. Why are there so many bloody rifle-like weapons? Why, instead of dumping your weapons' slots with outdated guns that do laughable damage later on, don't they just get replaced or at the very least ensure that they are useful later on? Why do enemies drop medkits like candy, making it difficult to run out of health, especially since you can also regenerate it? Those enemies are also huge sponges (unless you aim for the head) and they have a tendency to respawn out of nowhere, which can make it really annoying when you're trying to find your way out of a place. Finally, the last boss is a real asshole.

Outside these annoyances, the game didn't really catch my attention in any way. It's an OK FPS taken on its own and very disappointing when compared to the first one.

Another one for the list.
Post edited February 18, 2015 by Grargar
hellmonster67: I gotta call you out on this... How exactly did you finish both IWD's , Darklands and M & B in 3 weeks??
yoshino: I played these games side by side from the last year.
Also I was bored Darklands and M&B due to repeating generic quests and considered these as finished. lol.
By the way, What RPG I'm playing right now is Avadon, addictive game.
I pretty much figured that lol.. but I know Mount and Blade and Darklands.. yeah very long and at a point you just say thats it I'm done... Kind of have to do that MMORPG's as well. Have a good one
hellmonster67: Holy @#^$

Funny you mention NWN 1 .. I was just also forcing myself a few hours a day through that game.. feels like a chore.. I'm in Chp. 2 with lvl 7 Dwarf Fighter / 2 Dwarven Defender.. yeah it's kinda boring but I paid for it and damn it I will finish it.
Leroux: Sorry, I have no experience with the English version and don't know much about it. Can't you just turn down the speech volume in the Audio options to zero? I guess it won't work for the intro and outro video, but it might for the rest of the game.

Nehrim is easy to install and I didn't notice a lot of bugs on my playthroughs. On one or two occasions I had to reload a game because a scripted event did not occur, but replaying the little sequence solved the problem, and a few times IJarmo's thread for recommendations. And don't hesitate to ask questions on the forums or via PM if you need help finding a module that's more to your taste or installing custom content (it's usually quite simple and easy if you have a basic knowledge of working with the Windows Explorer; all about moving files into the right folders).
Hey, thanks for all the info.. Oblivion is very crashy to start off if you don't have the community made patches.. I may have a mod / tweak I could recommend to you just for the crashing but I just can't recall right now but I'm pretty sure it's an OBSE plugin.. If I find it I'll let you know..

Thanks for the NWN tips.. yeah I know the main campaign is not the best but I will still play through it at least once.. I peeked at a walkthrough just to see how long the chapters are and 2 seems to be the longest and 3-4 look like they are kinda small... I definitely will check out those modules too.. Thanks again
Post edited January 26, 2015 by hellmonster67
Jan 25 - House of 1,000 Doors - Family Secrets

Not one of our favorite hidden object games, but this one is still good. In most other hidden object games, we don't use the map or notes very much, but for this one, they proved extremely helpful. We didn't use it in the beginning and gameplay felt very slow because scenes were sometimes very far apart.

In the hidden object scenes, red text indicates an item that needs a task to complete (open something or assemble something), but this doesn't include when you have to look inside a drawer that is already open, for instance. This felt a bit odd in this game and not in previous ones we'd played.

We didn't really watch the cut scenes in this one, so we can't comment too much about the storyline except that what we saw was a bit cheesy. Some of the cut scenes were important, though, since they gave you some tasks to complete. We didn't solve one of the puzzles (skipped it) and a few of the hidden objects were pretty nasty to find.

If you like hidden object games, especially those with a supernatural / mystery feel to it, you will likely enjoy this one.
Heroes of Might and Magic: A Strategic Quest

I know this is not the game which invented one of the most enjoyable game designs ever (that honor would go to King's Bounty but HoMM series are the ones that perfected the formula. Although the second and the third games are superior to the original, I have found HoMM 1 an amazing game. The hand drawn graphics are still very appealing and shiny (this may have to do with the superior version of the game being offered here). The music is very good just like all other Jon Van Caneghem games. The game is simplimistic compared to its successors. For example, you can't upgrade your soldiers. Also, the factions are clearly imbalanced, Warlock being extremely powerful and Knight being the weakest. I have finished the campaign with Knight and felt stronger throughout the game everytime I have captured a Castle from another faction. I would strongly recommend to choose Warlock though, not only because they have the coolest units, but also because there is no good reason to replay the campaign with another faction. The missions will be the same except for one. Recommended to anyone who likes HoMM-like games as well as Might and Magic fans. And a shout out to Jon Van Caneghem: "What the hell are you waiting for to jump on the Kickstarter bandvagon??? You deserve much more than many devs which see themselves as legends of the gaming industry!!"

Some notes:
1. You don't need really need to play this one to move on to HoMM 2 or HoMM 3.
2. I would recommend reading the manual since it gives a much better idea about the story than the campaign does.

damien score: 8.5/10

List of all games finished in the last years with best and worst games played in each year
Post edited January 26, 2015 by damien
I am The God of Murder. My reign is supreme.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy finally beaten. It only took me 2 and half years of current playthrough. I have started the game in July 2012 but I took an extensive break in 2014. I had not played the game at all as I got new computer and wanted to play games which did not work on old one (gta, witcher 2, xcom) but I decided it was time to finish it.
I used Xfire to keep track of my gaming time. 200 hours almost exact (xfire says 205 but five where from abandoned playthrough) in order to find out how long it takes to play the game from Candlekeep to the Throne of Murder.

Epic adventure of epic proportions.
Finished Pokemon Yellow with a complete PokeDex. Enjoyed all the way up until I was level grinding on the Final Four to get evolutions. I remember when I was a kid I ground up every Pokemon to level 100, clearly I had a lot more patience then that I do now.

Anyway, that rounds out the Gen 1 games. Gen 2 will happen sometime, but for now I gotta do something besides Pokemon.
Nobake: Finished Pokemon Yellow with a complete PokeDex. Enjoyed all the way up until I was level grinding on the Final Four to get evolutions. I remember when I was a kid I ground up every Pokemon to level 100, clearly I had a lot more patience then that I do now.

Anyway, that rounds out the Gen 1 games. Gen 2 will happen sometime, but for now I gotta do something besides Pokemon.
I've never had the patience to complete the pokedex in any game but Pokemon Ranger. xD
Warhammer 40K: Soulstorm (Tau run.)

At least this run went faster than the others. Really wanting to get them done before the end of the month.

Not much in the sense of a review, I know, but if you haven't seen me mention it before now, it bears repeating -

Don't buy this game. It's not good.

Five down. Four to go. 5 and a half days to do it in. Hopefully the piece of crap doesn't break completely before I'm done.
I hope to finish Dragon Age: Inquisition before giving up. After the initial wow factor, which is present at the beginning of all grand-scale RPGs by Bioware, Obsidian or Bethesda, the game starts to feel more and more like busywork. Close 7 rifts, find 10 diaries, pick up 16 shards, gather 10 healing herbs, kill 3 outlaws... Sometimes with very little story in the background of those side-quests; just something contrived that supposedly justifies all that running across multiple huge maps. I like fetch quests if they're cleverly done, but this game just feels like playing a giant checklist.
Contrast
losms: Contrast
How did you like it? When I finished it last year I felt that it had an enjoyable premise, good art, great music and a likeable story, but the controls and checkpoint placement really hurt it.
losms: Contrast
NoNewTaleToTell: How did you like it? When I finished it last year I felt that it had an enjoyable premise, good art, great music and a likeable story, but the controls and checkpoint placement really hurt it.
I played it a few months ago but was unable to finish it. I'm so bad at puzzle games. :l
NoNewTaleToTell: How did you like it? When I finished it last year I felt that it had an enjoyable premise, good art, great music and a likeable story, but the controls and checkpoint placement really hurt it.
omega64: I played it a few months ago but was unable to finish it. I'm so bad at puzzle games. :l
Which part did you get stuck at? I managed to get stuck at two places, both of which involved a lot of switching in and out of shadows, and nearly quit the game forever haha.
omega64: I played it a few months ago but was unable to finish it. I'm so bad at puzzle games. :l
NoNewTaleToTell: Which part did you get stuck at? I managed to get stuck at two places, both of which involved a lot of switching in and out of shadows, and nearly quit the game forever haha.
after the circus. You're in this dome with objects you can rotate around.
I believe it was for opening a passage or something like that.