It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CarrionCrow: Shadowgrounds Survivor

This one actually had a little bit of potential.

Multiple characters, improved upgrades, better combat flow, faster pace. It could have been a lot better.

But, between a story that went nowhere and could go nowhere since the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the first game, the same godsawful voice acting, gimmicky padding and ending the last few missions on a succession of low points for the entire game, any optimism was firmly replaced with, "This sucks, this is lame, I don't want to play this anymore."

But I did, and for my efforts I got an ending that was nothing but a few scenes of art with barely any animation at all.

Storywise, this game is completely pointless, because like I said, the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the first title, leaving themselves nothing to work with for the second.
That's why it's called a spinoff whatever. It sounds better than them saying, "Well, we screwed up, but we wanted to make another game that does the same things overall. So here you go."

Oh well, screw it. Another game I never have to play again. So at least it's not all bad.
Can I ask, which shadowgrounds would you recommend?

Multiple characters, improved upgrades, better combat flow, faster pace. It could have been a lot better.

But, between a story that went nowhere and could go nowhere since the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the first game, the same godsawful voice acting, gimmicky padding and ending the last few missions on a succession of low points for the entire game, any optimism was firmly replaced with, "This sucks, this is lame, I don't want to play this anymore."

But I did, and for my efforts I got an ending that was nothing but a few scenes of art with barely any animation at all.

Storywise, this game is completely pointless, because like I said, the developers wrote themselves into a corner with the first title, leaving themselves nothing to work with for the second.
That's why it's called a spinoff whatever. It sounds better than them saying, "Well, we screwed up, but we wanted to make another game that does the same things overall. So here you go."

Oh well, screw it. Another game I never have to play again. So at least it's not all bad.
htown1980: Can I ask, which shadowgrounds would you recommend?
The original, the second is a worse rehash of the same game.
omega64: The original, the second is a worse rehash of the same game.
I aggree.

Be sure to try Alien/Zombie Shooter 1+2 too. ;)
Post edited January 21, 2015 by Klumpen0815

Tough question...

Took a few minutes on that one.
Would say that of the two, I'd rather go with the first than the second, even with the second title's improvements.

The first has a ridiculously cliched ending, but at least it has an actual ending and something resembling story progression (kinda sorta). The second does not.
Just finished The First Templar

Hadn't heard about it when it was released, kind of randomly picked it up in a Steam sale because, hey, Templars and Holy Grail! And I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. ^_^

I expected nothing great, even maybe feared a bad game, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The story is good with its lot of plot twists. Oh, don't expect Umberto Eco's level of writing, but still, even with all the cliches, it was good and interesting to follow.

Visually it ranges from pretty decent to quite beautiful. The sceneries are where the game shines, especially in the parts when you have to light things up. Character's faces are on the rigid side, but still, decently made. Quite a beautiful game, really.

On the handling thing, it's quite smooth, even if sometimes you wish Celian is a bit more responsive when you want to use the shield. But nothing serious. And the fact that you always play with two characters is a nice touch, because you can vary the gameplay, if you prefer the sneaky way with Marie d'Ibelin or the berserk side of Roland.

Defeinitely not a GOTY candidate, but still definitely a very good surprise!

So far in 2015: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2
Post edited January 21, 2015 by xa_chan
xa_chan: So far in 2014
You sure about it? ;)

PS GOGbear ate my post...
xa_chan: So far in 2014
Ghorpm: You sure about it? ;)

PS GOGbear ate my post...
Oh, thanks, of course that was a typo ! ^_^ Corrected.

In the meantime, I also completed Knights of Pen and Paper +1

Mixed feelings about that one. It's a nice idea, lots of witty dialogue lines, items and so on, but frankly it dragged a lot in the end and became boring when I had to grind my way to the end of the game... When you're level 39 and they put you in a lvl 60 dungeon, where some creatures can one-shot your characters (and groups are of 7 of those creatures), you just almost give up.

So, finishing that game was a pain in the ass, to be honest. Still a decent game, but maybe not for me, after all...

So far in 2015 : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2
Post edited January 21, 2015 by xa_chan
Unrest

A game I got from my Secret Santa, thanks! :)

Now, that's something really unique and even if it's not flawless it's definitely good to experience it. The basic idea looks like this: during the course of the game you will play as several different characters, each with different personalities and objectives. Choices that you made as one character may significantly influence another. Actually the game is a kind of hybrid between visual novel and RPG and when I say RPG I mean that you have to role play your characters. I think you have to finish this game several times to get maximum fun out of it. Obviously, you can role play some of characters poorly - not trying to achieve what they want but trying to make it easier for your favorite character that you'll soon play as. It's entirely possible to do so but the outcome of your decisions may be very different from what you expected ;) So what about aforementioned flaws? I would say there are two: there is a backbone of the story that you can't really change no matter what. I'm aware that allowing a revolutionary changes would make this game very difficult to develop but it's a pity they didn't go extra mile. They could have made this game epic. The second flaw is that many in-game features are pointless. Things like inventory, traits and three different kind of feelings that NPC can have towards you seem to be rather superfluous. As you can see I didn't mention anything about the story itself. Well, I did so on purpose, I don't want to spoil anything. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a very good story and unusual settings.

PS I love the soundtrack from the game!

Full list
Post edited January 21, 2015 by Ghorpm
I'm on a rush! ^_^ Just finished Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara on my PC.

Color me unimpressed. The nostalgia factor didn't play much in that case. Yes, for PC they redid the interface, but the game suffers from the same problems: imprecise hitboxes, controls sometimes a little unresponsive... and far too short. But it's true that when I played it in Arcade, it ate my coins faster than light...

Anyway, this one plus the former game were in fact games I had started in december 2014, but since I only finished them today, I think they count for 2015 ^_^

So far in 2015: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2
1/21/15 - Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within. I'd never played this before, since GK 2 and 3 came out during a period where I didn't have access to many computer games and they were hard as heck to find afterward. I actually started this back in July, but put it down after the incredibly slow click-all-the-museum-things! chapter and just picked it up again a few days ago. I have to say, the change from pixel art p-n-c to FMV p-n-c is not my favorite. The story was wonderful, although the pacing of the different chapters could definitely have been better. (Museum chapter, I'm looking at you.)

I think the game has aged well and the FMV actually looks good; the actors are generally good, although there are some cringe-worthy moments, and I'm not sure I'll ever quite get over the "Gabriel and Friedrich are TOO CLOSE - quick! Throw in a random nameless woman with no personality for Gabriel to sleep with!" scene. (Definitely cringe-worthy.)

Overall, I'd recommend the game to any adventure fans, as long as you can get through the style. This was my first FMV game and it wasn't bad, although it definitely took some adjustments. Very good story, not bad acting, and a good chapter in the Gabriel Knight series.

My list
Post edited January 21, 2015 by penumbren
CarrionCrow: Tough question...

Would say that of the two, I'd rather go with the first than the second, even with the second title's improvements.

The first has a ridiculously cliched ending, but at least it has an actual ending and something resembling story progression (kinda sorta). The second does not.
Thank you! I'll pick the first one up sometime then... And blame you if I hate it ;)

htown1980: Thank you! I'll pick the first one up sometime then... And blame you if I hate it ;)
You might hate the final level. :P
I've played the game through 3 times and never finished the final level.
It's long and if you die at the final boss you restart at the beginning of the level.
Post edited January 21, 2015 by omega64
Include me!

I just finished Risen on a playthrough as a mage. The end boss was pretty video-gamey, but overall I enjoyed this game. Combat is challenging, and it never really lets up, because even as you get stronger, you can find new enemies that are more skilled. That said, the game has a satisfying sense of progression, because while some new enemies are introduced, overall the world doesn't scale with you. That black wolf might kick your butt at level 1, but you'll easily defeat him at level 10.

If you want an open-world RPG with lots of loot and a big map, you should still probably stick with Bethesda. But this game has great world-building, good voice acting, a more involved combat system and I thought a really fun magic system.

The first 2 chapters are brilliant, as you focus on getting in with a faction so that you can develop your character. The island is dangerous, and you won't get far without allies (and more importantly, training). I liked that armor was so rare, and your armor basically indicated to the world who you were with.

Overall I'll give it 4/5 stars. I'm not sure I'll go back to it anytime soon, but it was fun while it lasted. Now, on to Age of Wonders 3 ...

htown1980: Thank you! I'll pick the first one up sometime then... And blame you if I hate it ;)
Fair enough. -laughs-

If I can manage to find a shooter that's along the lines of Shadowgrounds or the Alien/Zombie Shooter series but is actually good, I'll let you know.
Ghorpm: Unrest

A game I got from my Secret Santa, thanks! :)

Now, that's something really unique and even if it's not flawless it's definitely good to experience it. The basic idea looks like this: during the course of the game you will play as several different characters, each with different personalities and objectives. Choices that you made as one character may significantly influence another. Actually the game is a kind of hybrid between visual novel and RPG and when I say RPG I mean that you have to role play your characters. I think you have to finish this game several times to get maximum fun out of it. Obviously, you can role play some of characters poorly - not trying to achieve what they want but trying to make it easier for your favorite character that you'll soon play as. It's entirely possible to do so but the outcome of your decisions may be very different from what you expected ;) So what about aforementioned flaws? I would say there are two: there is a backbone of the story that you can't really change no matter what. I'm aware that allowing a revolutionary changes would make this game very difficult to develop but it's a pity they didn't go extra mile. They could have made this game epic. The second flaw is that many in-game features are pointless. Things like inventory, traits and three different kind of feelings that NPC can have towards you seem to be rather superfluous. As you can see I didn't mention anything about the story itself. Well, I did so on purpose, I don't want to spoil anything. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a very good story and unusual settings.

PS I love the soundtrack from the game!

Full list
Funny how people can think so differently. my review of Unrest from 2014 and [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post1678]a comparison between this and Divinity: Original Sin. Not to mention that I put the game on the #3 spot on my bottom list of 2014. Well, opinions: everyone has one :)