It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Grargar: What part of "PLEASE DON'T POST YET!" did you not understand?
The "Don't" and "Yet", I am guessing. ;)
thebream: Thanks champ!
Grargar: Sigh...
What part of "PLEASE DON'T POST YET!" did you not understand?
Sorry, the convenience of being on the first page was too tempting. I only found out afterwards there wasn't a delete option after I tried to delete the post.
Grargar: Sigh...
What part of "PLEASE DON'T POST YET!" did you not understand?
thebream: Sorry, the convenience of being on the first page was too tempting. I only found out afterwards there wasn't a delete option after I tried to delete the post.
Well, there's a way but you pay the price for it...
Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (NDS on 3DS-XL)

To me, this is by far the worst of all the Metroidstyle Castlevania games.
Massive ruse of assets in this series is one problem, this title has some specific flaws though.
The worst fail is, that if you try to keep your inventory clean in order to not have to scroll through it an endless amounf ot time, you'll sell some seemingly unimportant items like "Long Sword" or "Thick Glasses" because you often have already found better equipment. The problem is, that later you need those items to be able to finish the "quests" and if you can't finish them, they block a "quest slot" forever, preventing you from getting new/other quests.
Since the last quests need the result of those, you'll end up with a lot of unbeatable quests because you lack simple unimportant items which are not sold at the store. This is just really bad game design.
The game is extremely grindy, most time of the game is grinding and if you want to be able to play with other teams than the standard one and the two you get for really finishing the game, you have to play it in ridiculous difficulty over and over again. So few people seem to have actually done this, that I couldn't even find Youtube videos or images in the net of someone actually playing with those characters.

The multiplayer co-op is said to be good, but since I don't know anyone with a DS in my circles, I can't say anything about it. The team mechanic seemed to just be a gimmick in single-player mode, since there are only very few events in the game that actually use it for solving a puzzle.

It's not made clear how the leveling system of the subweapons works either and I had to look it up.
Unlike in Secret of Evermore for example, where a skill is trained by using it often, in Portrait of Ruin, you have to touch an enemy with the weapon once, and kill him (doesn't matter how) in order to level up the weapon. Using it as often as possible on enemies just drains your "mana" and is no way to really level it up.

I could go on a while, but in the end I can only call it an uninspired and illogical grindfest and the worst part of the series I've played (which are all of them besides "Symphony of the Night" but it's on my list).

I've played through "Richter mode" until the very end but in order to stand a chance against Darcula, I'd have to grind a lot again and it's no fun after all the grinding I've already done in the main game. I don't know if I'll pick it up later again for the sisters-mode, probably not. In order to play as an "Old Axe Armour" I'd have to kill 1000 of this enemy type and don't see this happening either, even less beating the game with a level 1 cap on hard to get the other three character sets.

Conclusion: Play "Aria of Sorrow", "Dawn of Sorrow" and "Order of Ecclesia" instead.

List
Post edited January 01, 2016 by Klumpen0815
high rated
All year long I've been playing this game called "2015." Parts of it were really repetitive, but the repititions were broken up into "days," "weeks," and "months." This broke the monotony somewhat by having cycles of repeating with different periods, so you always felt like you had something to look forward to, both short-term and long-term. This was enhanced by the irregular appearance of "holidays" during which all the normal activities were put on hold, and you got to try out completely different mechanics. What fun!

An awful lot of time was spent gathering and managing money. This was very grindy in the first part of the year, until I was able to get a better "job." The second part of the game was much more fun as a result. I will say that it is VERY hard to make a lot of money in this game. I grinded and grinded, but at the end I was only a little better off than I was all the way at the beginning!

There was a heavy importance of relationships. And these came in all flavors - romantic, casual, proffessional... the possibilities were endless! I feel like I did a pretty good job on this aspect. My "family" grew. I only lost one important "friend," and I made many new professional relationships.

It was difficult to figure out personal stats, since the math seemed to be all hidden. I do know that I gained a couple levels in "girth." I think I gained some "wisdom," but, like I said, hard to tell...

All in all, I really liked 2015, and I'm looking forward to the sequel, 2016. I hope it is released on time. Tonight I will play a little more 2015, and if all goes well I will actually finish some time in the middle of the night.

Cheers!
The Games Finished in 2016 thread has now officially began.
Post edited January 01, 2016 by Grargar
Grargar: The Games Finished in 2016 thread has now officially began.
Thanks Grargar.

And thanks moonshineshadow.
And my last game of 2015 was.... Resonance.

Is one of those games tha captivates your attention right of the start and keeps you guessing what's going on until you finally get your answers is even better.
But not everything is roses in this game, i really didn't like the gameplay in the sense that it complicates way too much, sure, it's interesting how it mixes up the gameplay (4 different characters interacting between themselves) but it also gets to a point where do you have to go with trial and error, and having 4 characters and many objects on the screen for conversations makes it a pain in the ass but luckly there's not too much to explore so travelling isn't such a chore.

So yeah, i definitely recommend this title even if you have to use a guide (i did, not ashamed of it) but for me Gemini Rue continues to be a better title.
Last game of the year is finished: Duke Nukem 1. I picked this one up this week, and it was a great platformer. Enjoyable levels with a decent level of challenge, and not a precision platformer. The game was colorful and had good sound effects. A quick game to play through, but a good experience.

Completed this year:
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers
Kingdom Rush
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
FEAR
FEAR: Extraction Point
FEAR: Perseus Mandate
Consortium: The Master Edition
The Cat Lady
Hitman GO
Ground Control
Ironclad Tactics
Sorcery! 2
Judge Dredd: Countdown Sector 106
Trial of the Clone
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Mirror's Edge
Downfall
Velvet Assassin
Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy
Fallout: New Vegas
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Solar Flux
Eldritch
FEAR 2: Project Origin
FEAR 2: Reborn
FlatOut
Gratuitous Space Battles
FlatOut 2
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Moto Racer
The Ultimate Doom
Moto Racer 2
Doom II: Hell on Earth
Duke Nukem 1
I'm picturing some poor soul pounding away at his/her keyboard, glancing up at the clock, trying to squeeze one more 'finished' into 2015. :P
tinyE: I'm picturing some poor soul pounding away at his/her keyboard, glancing up at the clock, trying to squeeze one more 'finished' into 2015. :P
I've just started the first Witcher game. I can finish it in four and a half hours, right? Just under the wire?
I guess it's time to add my list here :P Let's see if I can remember it all.. I think I did pretty good this year :D It's not too late to say include me, is it? ;)

Dragon Age: Inquisition + Jaws of Hakkon
Styx: Master of Shadows
Grand Theft Auto V
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Alien: Isolation
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt + Hearts of Stone
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Dark Forces 2
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
System Shock: Enhanced Edition
Battletoads
Battletoads Arcade
Metro 2033 Redux
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
The Walking Dead: Season One
Valiant Hearts: The Great War
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Gears of War
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Halo 5
Crimsonland
Pneuma: Breath of Life
Fable 2*
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
Return to Castle Wolfenstein*

* = Not the first time playing through a game
Post edited January 01, 2016 by Random_Coffee
misteryo: All year long I've been playing this game called "2015."
Meh... I'm also playing this series of games but I don't like them at all: very unfair, clearly pay-to-win, and every instalment is almost the same as the previous one. However everybody seems to keep playing these games no matter what, even though there's been reported cases of people playing them to death! Amazing...
Klumpen0815: Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin (NDS on 3DS-XL)

To me, this is by far the worst of all the Metroidstyle Castelvania games.
Massive ruse of assets in this series is one problem, this title has some specific flaws though.
The worst fail is, that if you try to keep your inventory clean in order to not have to scroll through it an endless amounf ot time, you'll sell some seemingly unimportant items like "Long Sword" or "Thick Glasses" because you often have already found better equipment. The problem is, that later you need those items to be able to finish the "quests" and if you can't finish them, they block a "quest slot" forever, preventing you from getting new/other quests.
Since the last quests need the result of those, you'll end up with a lot of unbeatable quests because you lack simple unimportant items which are not sold at the store. This is just really bad game design.
The game is extremely grindy, most time of the game is grinding and if you want to be able to play with other teams than the standard one and the two you get for really finishing the game, you have to play it in ridiculous difficulty over and over again. So few people seem to have actually done this, that I couldn't even find Youtube videos or images in the net of someone actually playing with those characters.

The multiplayer co-op is said to be good, but since I don't know anyone with a DS in my circles, I can't say anything about it. The team mechanic seemed to just be a gimmick in single-player mode, since there are only very few events in the game that actually use it for solving a puzzle.

It's not made clear how the leveling system of the subweapons works either and I had to look it up.
Unlike in Secret of Evermore for example, where a skill is trained by using it often, in Portrait of Ruin, you have to touch an enemy with the weapon once, and kill him (doesn't matter how) in order to level up the weapon. Using it as often as possible on enemies just drains your "mana" and is no way to really level it up.

I could go on a while, but in the end I can only call it an uninspired and illogical grindfest and the worst part of the series I've played (which are all of them besides "Symphony of the Night" but it's on my list).

I've played through "Richter mode" until the very end but in order to stand a chance against Darcula, I'd have to grind a lot again and it's no fun after all the grinding I've already done in the main game. I don't know if I'll pick it up later again for the sisters-mode, probably not. In order to play as an "Old Axe Armour" I'd have to kill 1000 of this enemy type and don't see this happening either, even less beating the game with a level 1 cap on hard to get the other three character sets.

Conclusion: Play "Aria of Sorrow", "Dawn of Sorrow" and "Order of Ecclesia" instead.

List
I loved Order of Ecclesia, even finished it with the level 1 restriction.
I have forgotten to add one more game, which I have finished in 2015:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post214

Tales of Graces f (the original Wii Adult Arc on PS3)

That makes my game number 6 finished this year. To bad I do not have so much time, as 20 years ago, anymore :(