It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Northmark: Hour of the Wolf

Fun CCG game with a unique (among CCG games that I've played) non-mana/energy based mechanic and elements of Disciples or perhaps JRPGish style combat. The only problem is the short length and the ending makes it feel like a Part 1 or Episode 1. I 100%d it in under 5 hours.
EvilQuest, from some indie bundle or another.

I keep hearing how indie games are the Future of the Medium, and are Not Afraid to Take Risks, but the reality is that for every Papers Please and Gone Home, there seem to be a thousand indie knock-offs of more popular games.

(When the AAA industry remakes CoD for the hundredth time, it's because the AAA is intellectually bankrupt. When an indie developer remakes a game you liked as a kid, it's an homage, and gosh, it would be nice to see more games like this!)

Well, whatever. EvilQuest was a sort of Zelda-y game, made worse then its inspiration by the lack of interesting weapons, tools, or puzzles. The "Ha ha, your character sure is evil!" gimmick was not as clever or interesting as the developers thought. Still, it wasn't bad to play. Better then Manor of the Damned.
Post edited August 03, 2014 by BadDecissions
BadDecissions: EvilQuest, from some indie bundle or another.

I keep hearing how indie games are the Future of the Medium, and are Not Afraid to Take Risks, but the reality is that for every Papers Please and Gone Home, there seem to be a thousand indie knock-offs of more popular games.

(When the AAA industry remakes CoD for the hundredth time, it's because the AAA is intellectually bankrupt. When an indie developer remakes a game you liked as a kid, it's an homage, and gosh, it would be nice to see more games like this!)

Well, whatever. EvilQuest was a sort of Zelda-y game, made worse then its inspiration by the lack of interesting weapons, tools, or puzzles. The "Ha ha, your character sure is evil!" gimmick was not as clever or interesting as the developers thought. Still, it wasn't bad to play. Better then Manor of the Damned.
Heh, I loved EvilQuest, and it's inspiration isn't zelda, but a much less known title called Crystalis
Samaritan Paradox 3rd 6:40pm)

Good to great AGS game. Little on the short side and some of the puzzle are those I forgot I had this item puzzle. I still don't understand the Ord and Sara relationship at the end but yea there are better things in life to worry about
DProject: The Banner Saga

At first, I didn't like the game at all. I thought the lore was weakly set up and it was almost as if you had to know the backstory beforehand in order to understand any of it. I also thought that the events and plot were difficult to follow, and although I'm usually a sucker for turn-based combat, I thought that the battle outcomes mostly leaned on luck. However, once I got more used to the combat and finally figured out the best tactics and how to properly train the heroes, I got more in to the game. I still think the story was difficult to follow, but at least I could now enjoy playing the game. The final battle was horse shit though, it took me a long time to even realize what I was supposed to do (although, the amount of rum I had digested before that, might have played a part there). Also, the voyage throughout the land was a bit boring to watch, and the clansmen I had with me did nothing except waste supplies. So what was the point of even gathering more people to the party? I mean, the heroes did all the actual work. Oh well, I guess I'm still going to lean more towards the positives than the negatives. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it still managed to keep me addicted and entertained.
I have others to play first, but I will play this. What about Blackguards?
03/08/2014 Xenonauts: Game felt ok, but nothing exceptional. I had to push myself to finish it, though the pacing isn't worse than the original X-COM: Ufo Defense. And the ending let me down quite a bit, though that may hopefully change a bit later on. Can't recommend it at full price, but worth it on a sale.

Full list here
Just finished Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, which is the first Sherlock game I've played. It falls in the middle of the Frogware Holmes game series.

I started playing it a year ago - this is a common circumstance, with me - and had to stop when life got busy. When I browsed across it again, I realized that I couldn't remember the first thing about the story, and so I started over, saying goodbye to the previous six hours that I had tucked into it.

This is a weird little beast: it's a mash-up of Sherlock's adventures with the Cthulhu Mythos, although Cthulhu is never actually mentioned by name (rights clearance problems, no doubt). The case begins just a few blocks from Baker Street with the disappearance of a servant, and after some mucking about in a few local spots and the nearby docks, Holmes and Watson get wind of monstrous - literally - events afoot in a clinic in Switzerland, and before long they are exploring all over the world.

The story is actually quite good, if unlikely. There are some complications in making a good detective adventure, because you have to spoon-feed the plot to the player, but mostly this is successfully done. There are certainly moments when Holmes picks up, say, a coin and a hammer and an apple - just making this up, it's not a spoiler - and then spouts off the most bizarre story about how obviously the maid was selling off the family silver at market. Holmes always does that, but it's weird when you're supposed to be Holmes and you're sitting there thinking, "Really? How on earth did that happen?" But it's all part of the fun.

This point-and-click can be experienced in first-person or third; given camera wonkery, I mostly stayed in first. I used a walkthrough for a few puzzles, sometimes for the routine in-game silliness native to the genre (for the most part, this game stays roughly logical - roughly) and sometimes to get past a few jarring junctures where Holmes will abruptly ask Watson a question that must be answered correctly (like, "And now, Watson, we must obviously place the fardle in the _____ to continue"). Your responses to these challenges must be exact, and there is little warning about when they will appear.

On a couple of occasions, the answers are ludicrously obscure, names or references you've seen once or twice on scraps of paper, and once the question appears you no longer have any access to your case files, so you can't go back and check to find the information. I suppose I'm a lazy player, but I was not actually keeping notes on the notes that are accessible throughout the game via a handy archive feature, except when you need the information to continue playing. So, walkthrough. There's a very good in-game hint system, which takes pains to let you get hints without ruining everything, but you can't get to it when these segment-ending questions come up.

Steam says I spent 26 hours in there, though 6 are from last year's first-brush experience and another couple of hours are from leaving it on one afternoon. Overall, this was good fun. Recommended, though I am not jumping up and down about it.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post209 for my miniscule list-so-far.
Post edited August 03, 2014 by LinustheBold
djdarko: Shadows of the Damned for PS3.
realkman666: Is that the one with the big boner?
Yes, did you play it? What did you think of it?
realkman666: Is that the one with the big boner?
djdarko: Yes, did you play it? What did you think of it?
It's the kind of game I wish I had a console for, actually. Yakuza, Catherine, this, etc. :/
djdarko: Yes, did you play it? What did you think of it?
realkman666: It's the kind of game I wish I had a console for, actually. Yakuza, Catherine, this, etc. :/
Yeah, not a bad idea. Considering buying them when they are on great sales, then buy a PS3 as the price lowers over the next year or so.
Finished Stick it to the Man! and it was an awesome adventure game !!! I definitely recommend it to all fans of the genre.

Full list here.
xplay1989: i haven't played it yet
Smannesman: Ah I thought this was the "Games Finished in 2014" thread, but apparently this is the "2014 Game Commercials" thread.
Boy I feel silly now.
oh, sorry. maybe i didn't get it right. the thread is about finished games in 2014, meaning games i played? i tought is about the latest games on the market. so sorry!

So to respect the thread this is what i played this year: Zeno Clash
I finished <span class="bold">(One Unit Whole) Blood</span> just a few minutes ago.
Man, that game is EVIL! ;)
A gory and frenetic rampage from start to finish, a festival of dismemberment capable of keeping you glued to the screen until you finish to exterminate every single demon, cultist or undead available!
I now understand why many claim this is the best game developed using the build engine: while apparently the mechanics are almost identical to its eleder brothers, Blood improves the gameplay and design to another level. The weapons are all suited for different situations, none feel useless, each one has a secondary fire mode (a revolutionary feature for its era) and excellent animations; the enemies are varied and clever (they even duck!); the horror atmosphere is perfectly successful in its aim due to a compelling art style and, above all, the maze-maps design is in my opinion still unsurpassed.
If you love fast paced, challenging shooters with complex environments and for some reason you still have not palyed Blood, look no further: this game is precisely what you need!
My only complaint is that the "Cryptic Passage" expansion is not accessible through the main menu: you have to search for the dedicated .exe file, and while the saves are shared you should keep launching your game from there if you don't want to experience several bugs.
Mata Hari

Quite hard to love this game. In a sense if more effort had been put in the game mechanics it could have been a good game. But .... as it stands it suffers from repetitive mini-games, from a lack od depth and of secundary quests or missions. Took 6 hours to complete
Recently finished The Witcher 1. A very pleasant game that I finished in about 20 hours. Great story telling elements and characters, and plenty of plot twists. Though I must admit I sort of rushed through this game so that I could hurry up and get to the Witcher 2 which I've heard great things about. But no doubt I'll probably come back to this one in the future, and see how the story unfolds when I take a different side.

Full list here.
Post edited August 04, 2014 by IShoot4lolz