It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Posted this in the Crusader forums, but seems to fit here too.

Whew...finally finished no regret after finishing no remorse. No nostalgia here, this is the first time I played either title. I was determined to knock them both out and off of my backlog for good, but I can't deny that I was ready for no regret to end about five levels earlier than it did. These games, while basically worth playing (especially with a controller through e.g. joy2key) are also rather . . . tedious. I'm not even going to talk about the controls, beyond saying that with joy2key, there's simply no reason to play this with the awful keyboard or mouse setup everyone complains about. Had to leave a few keys on the keyboard but since you can map multiple keys to a button with joy2key, a fully playable setup is achievable with a gamepad that alleviates most of the control complaints one could have, although obviously this does not solve those issues that are intrinsic to the game engine, such as the Silencer's relatively slow response to input and tendency to autoaim at scenery when you're trying to hit something dangerous nearby.

THE GOOD

Lots of explosions and action.
Lots of different guns.
Cheesy FMV can be pretty great.
Decent soundtrack.

THE BAD

I thought both games were too long, given how repetitive the gameplay is. Especially #2 (no regret) - although I have read it's actually shorter than #1, seemed to drag on forever. Once you've played through a few levels of either game you've basically seen all the tricks the game has to offer, but it just keeps going, and going, and going. That said, #2 is the better game in terms of consistent challenge and some new control options IMO.

Although there's lots of different guns, the designer's choice to make most of the cooler weapons kill enemies in ways that prevent them from dropping supplies makes them far less useful and fun than they should have been. I went through both games using primarily the wimpier guns that didn't make people die in cool ways just so I could find supplies. Stupid design decision IMO.

Although folks here can and have debated the meaning of the phrase "aged poorly", I think these games fit the bill. The tiny viewable area is a big culprit, as it severely restricts your ability to really do any tactical planning on how to attack an area when you can only see a tiny chunk at a time. The engine is super-clunky and even after the controls became second nature, I was frequently cursing the Silencer's tendency to pause ever so slightly before executing commands like "roll" and "crouch" which resulted in lots of cheap deaths. While you can kind of make a meta-game out of this by training yourself to compensate for this issue (e.g. treating it as a gameplay element instead of an artifact of the engine) I quickly grew tired of it and took to save-spamming fairly early on to avoid repeating too much of the game. While basically fun, the Crusader games are definitely not ones I'll be eager to revisit any time soon.
Finished Law & Order Legacies from Telltale. It was ok but definitely the weakest of their games. Gameplay was as simple as questions/answers and justifications to all our answers. Sometimes we had to search for clues, but not very often.

There was a French translation but I think most of my mistakes in the game come from really bad translations. I recommend playing it in English.

This year :
- Alone in the Dark 3
- Amnesia Fortnight Prototypes
- Blackwell Convergence
- Blackwell Unbound
- Brutal Legend
- Deadlight
- Host Master and the Conquest of Humor
- Host Master Deux: Quest for Identity
- I Am Alive
- Karateka
- Law & Order Legacies
- Lucy & Lola's Big Adventure
- Offspring Fling
- Splinter Cell: Conviction
- Syndicate
- The Blackwell Legacy
- The Cave
- The Darkness II
- The Experiment (Experience 112)
Finished Blood, Plasma Pack, and Cryptic Passage.

Overall, not too much fun. This was one where I played the 2nd first. I like it (2nd) far better and I'm sure its the age of the game and lack of original nostalgia that kept it from being more fun than it was. Lots of saving/reloading to correct "gotchas" and a very weird control scheme that took lots of remapping and fiddling to get working near-OK. Still I'm glad to mark this one off, and am glad I tried it to see where the game came from. Was good enough I finished it, but not likely enjoyable enough for me to play again.

My favorite part was the soundtrack... for a dosbox game, the soundtrack was quite good and creepy in places.

Still some rough edges for GOG to work out as well. The higher resolutions won't run without crawling to an unplayable hault. The Cryptic Passage expansion didn't square off correctly forcing me to play without full screen, and since the resolution problem was throughout all 3 games, I had to play in a very tiny 800x600 window on my desktop.
Just beat Pokémon FireRed Version for the Gameboy Advance. After coming off of the original Blue version (which is still great, but lacks a lot of anti-frustrations features that kind-of turned me off of it), it was magnificent! Truly a great remake for an already legendary game! Maybe someday I'll find out if SoulSilver improves its original...

Updated my list
brinf1: Posted this in the Crusader forums, but seems to fit here too.

Whew...finally finished no regret after finishing no remorse. No nostalgia here, this is the first time I played either title. I was determined to knock them both out and off of my backlog for good, but I can't deny that I was ready for no regret to end about five levels earlier than it did. These games, while basically worth playing (especially with a controller through e.g. joy2key) are also rather . . . tedious. I'm not even going to talk about the controls, beyond saying that with joy2key, there's simply no reason to play this with the awful keyboard or mouse setup everyone complains about. Had to leave a few keys on the keyboard but since you can map multiple keys to a button with joy2key, a fully playable setup is achievable with a gamepad that alleviates most of the control complaints one could have, although obviously this does not solve those issues that are intrinsic to the game engine, such as the Silencer's relatively slow response to input and tendency to autoaim at scenery when you're trying to hit something dangerous nearby.

THE GOOD

Lots of explosions and action.
Lots of different guns.
Cheesy FMV can be pretty great.
Decent soundtrack.

THE BAD

I thought both games were too long, given how repetitive the gameplay is. Especially #2 (no regret) - although I have read it's actually shorter than #1, seemed to drag on forever. Once you've played through a few levels of either game you've basically seen all the tricks the game has to offer, but it just keeps going, and going, and going. That said, #2 is the better game in terms of consistent challenge and some new control options IMO.

Although there's lots of different guns, the designer's choice to make most of the cooler weapons kill enemies in ways that prevent them from dropping supplies makes them far less useful and fun than they should have been. I went through both games using primarily the wimpier guns that didn't make people die in cool ways just so I could find supplies. Stupid design decision IMO.

Although folks here can and have debated the meaning of the phrase "aged poorly", I think these games fit the bill. The tiny viewable area is a big culprit, as it severely restricts your ability to really do any tactical planning on how to attack an area when you can only see a tiny chunk at a time. The engine is super-clunky and even after the controls became second nature, I was frequently cursing the Silencer's tendency to pause ever so slightly before executing commands like "roll" and "crouch" which resulted in lots of cheap deaths. While you can kind of make a meta-game out of this by training yourself to compensate for this issue (e.g. treating it as a gameplay element instead of an artifact of the engine) I quickly grew tired of it and took to save-spamming fairly early on to avoid repeating too much of the game. While basically fun, the Crusader games are definitely not ones I'll be eager to revisit any time soon.
I read this with great interest where I remember loving the original game back when it was brand new. I've bought both the games here on GOG wanting to revisit that magic. I do have a vague memory of the control scheme being awkward but then getting used to it ultimately. I think I'll enjoy it but it is good to have realistic expectations to go with the nostalgia. Thanks for sharing that much detail.
Grargar: Just finished Resident Evil: Revelations. A pretty average game which could be better if your character could move faster than a damn slug. The whole genesis thing was also very gimmicky, but unfortunately necessary if you did not want to run out of ammo.

Updated my list
I seen you finished Resident Evil 6 and Revelations. Do you think I should play RE6 or RER ? I think my personal best game ever is Resident Evil 4, but I skipped RE5 because the first hour was so boring. So I want to play a good RE for the next :-) Thanks !
I'm going slowly, but I'm finishing games. Once, in a very, very far future, all my games will be finished.

I've finished Ben there, Dan that! yesterday, which was a quite easy and short game, except a few little bits, which turned me away for some time. That and the occasional bug.

full list
benderz: I seen you finished Resident Evil 6 and Revelations. Do you think I should play RE6 or RER ? I think my personal best game ever is Resident Evil 4, but I skipped RE5 because the first hour was so boring. So I want to play a good RE for the next :-) Thanks !
I've got bad news for you. If Resident Evil 4 is your favourite game ever, then Resident Evil 6 should normally be your best bet as it is closer to action, while Revelations in its attempt to become similar to the first Resident Evil leans more towards adventure. Unfortunately, if you got bored by Resident Evil 5 in your first hour, I can guarantee you will get bored to death in your first hour of Resident Evil 6 as the first hour of Leon's campaign has nothing more than stupid plot exposition, excruciatingly slow walking and an alarming lack of enemies.
benderz: I seen you finished Resident Evil 6 and Revelations. Do you think I should play RE6 or RER ? I think my personal best game ever is Resident Evil 4, but I skipped RE5 because the first hour was so boring. So I want to play a good RE for the next :-) Thanks !
Grargar: I've got bad news for you. If Resident Evil 4 is your favourite game ever, then Resident Evil 6 should normally be your best bet as it is closer to action, while Revelations in its attempt to become similar to the first Resident Evil leans more towards adventure. Unfortunately, if you got bored by Resident Evil 5 in your first hour, I can guarantee you will get bored to death in your first hour of Resident Evil 6 as the first hour of Leon's campaign has nothing more than stupid plot exposition, excruciatingly slow walking and an alarming lack of enemies.
Thanks for your answer. RER sounds better by your critic, I think I'll start by Revelations, but no more a priority. Thanks !
benderz: Thanks for your answer. RER sounds better by your critic, I think I'll start by Revelations, but no more a priority. Thanks !
You're welcome.
18.01. - 09.02. / 64h
Avernum (2000)
A nice game, there's just a chronic lack of skill points.

19.02 - 24.02. / 18,5h
Assassin's Creed: Director's Cut
Fun game but towards the end the game becomes crap. Did they run out of money and time?

24.02. - 01.03. / 25h
Eschalon: Book I
Fun game but again there's a lack of skill points.

02.03. - 04.03. / 7,5h
Galactic Arms Race
A mix of Shoot-'em-up and Hack'n'Slay.

04.03 - 07.03. / 9h
Mark of the Ninja
A great game. Sneak around and kill everbody or never shed blood.

10.03. - 14.03. / 8h
A fun puzzle game. The music is great!

25.03. - 26.03. / 2h
DLC Quest
The gameplay is mediorce, but some of the jokes a quite funny (and true).

03.04. - 04.04. / 3h
Limbo
Great puzzles and it has intense moments.

29.03. - 13.04. / 50,5h
Avadon: The Black Fortess
Not as good as Avernum, but fun anyways.

09.04. - 13.04. / 9,5h
Scribblenauts Unlimited
A dead horse on pizza? Check. Throw a baby into a vulcano? Check. Fun game. ^^

13.04. - 16.04. / 13h + 2.10. / 1,5h
The Walking Dead + 400 Days
At the beginning (Episode 1 + 2) the controlls a completely broken. Still, a great interactive movie.
400 Days was good but short. Because I knew nearly nothing about the characters the choices I had to make didn't felt as hard.

16.04. - 27.04. / 19h + 2.10. - 7.10. / 6h
Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall
Most of the time it was fun. The scenario was great, the places and people felt believeable.
TKoD: A good DLC. I think Daud is much more interesting than Corvo.

14.05. - 15.06. / 80h
Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
The difficulty was a bit high but fair. But... I was fooled... I must redeem myself in part 7.

26.06. - 30.06. / 3h
Freedom Fall
I've beaten the game twice to get both endings... and to see/read more of the yandere princess. ^^

26.06. - 07.07. / 5h
Hotline Miami
Drugs, violence, violence, violence and drugs. The gameplay is great too.

14.07. - 21.07. / 22h
Tomb Raider (2013) + Tomb of the Last Adventurer
A great game. Good action and enough room to explore. The game is quite easy, even on the hardest setting.

02.08. - 10.08. / 16h
Fallout
Was a great game when I played it back then and it's still great today. Don't know how often I replayed it...

30.07. - 15.08. / 84h
Grisaia no Kajitsu
A great but slow visual novel. Ten endings and even the bad ones contain story.

10.08. - 18.08. / 13h
Lego: The Lord of the Rings
Sometimes the game was funny, mostly it was stupid. I just finished the story because the game became dull very quick.

23.08. - 26.08. / 17,5h
Dead Space
A fun collection of fetch quests. The game has good graphics and amazing sound.

27.08. - 28.08. / 5,5h
Medal of Honor (2010)
The game had its moments but mostly it was boring. The sound was quite good.

28.08. - 21.09. / 88h
Avernum 2
The same as the first game but nearly everything was improved and the game was a bit easier.

21.09. - 25.09. / 18h
Torchlight II
I finished the game on normal playing the Berserker. It was a fun break.

25.09. - 01.10. / 16,5h
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Good level design but otherwise it's quite bad. I'm glad it's over.

07.10. - 27.10. / 57,5h
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Even though the game is a bit shorter than the old Avernum that's because of teleportation and the increased walking speed. They added a lot of quests.

27.10. - 17.11. / 40,5h
Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition
MUCH better than the first game. Everything was improved, especially the story. The story is so bad, that it's good again.

17.11. - 23.11. / 16,5h
Dust: An Elysian Tail
A fun game. The gameplay was good and the world was fun to explore. Only the voiceacting was... diverse...

24.11. - 12.12. / 46h
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - Deluxe Edition
Mostly the same as part two. Some things were improved (e.g. ranged combat), some things are worse (e.g. story).

12.12. - 17.12. / 15,5h
Rogue Legacy
The game game wasn't as hard as I feared it would be but I rushed through the last part (The Darkness) because I wanted to finish the game.

17.12. - 21.12. / 12h
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
This game is a good example for a mediocre game. Exept the long load times nearly nothing stood out in any way, be it good or bad.

26.12. - 27.12. / 2,5h
The Stanly Parable
It has been quite some time since I last had to laugh that much but the story had also its dark moments.

28.12. / 3h
Gone Home
The story was fine but the game itself became more and more boring as time went by. I'm glad it's over.

24.12. - 30.12. / 13h
Shadow Warrior (2013)
A fun, melee heavy 1st-person-shooter. It's a "stand in the middle of the room and kill everything" type of game and not one of those "hide behind cover and shake with fear" games that are common nowadays.

29.12. - 30.12. / 3h
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
It started a bit boring but later on it became an adventure that I won't be able to forget so soon.
Post edited December 30, 2013 by Dotur
plants vs zombies
red faction
fallout 3
far cry 3
torchlight 2
tropico 3
batman arkham city
macguffins curse
- Kohan Immortal Sovereigns. It was quite a decent RTS campaign, not insanely hard nor too easy.
Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskerville
Sherlock Holmes Mystery of the Mummy
Sherlock Holmes Mystery of the Persian Carpet
A New Beginning
StarCraft 2 HOTS
Dear Esther
Half Life 2 + EP1, EP2 better late than never
Hector Badge of Carnage
Sleeping Dogs
Lume
Max Payne 3
I've just beaten Max Payne.

Story was quite good, I really liked the way it was displayed. Gameplay was good too, once I got hang of bullet timing. Oh I learnt to love F5 (quicksave) button too.
Looking around the walls, scripting, and nightmare sequences not so much.