It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finished the excellent single player campaign of Battlefield Bad Company 2. I had a good time with this and liked how frenetic many of the firefights were given the destructible environments and the AI's penchant for blowing away your cover to expose and kill you at every opportunity. The game has an okay story to drive it along and the characters were very likable in my squad. Some of their spontaneous banter was funny and added to the experience of playing. I liked that the squad did not need any babysitting at all on my part and their pathfinding was perfect. Sometimes they actually led the way but I could always tell when things were about to hit the fan as they'd hold up and wait for me to lead the charge. With rare exception the checkpoint save system was fine and I actually liked not needing to think about saves. There was a couple of times after some intense action that there was one more thing to do and I felt like, "You've got to be kidding! Give me a save here!" But I never felt frustrated playing on normal and I'm just average at shooters.

Being a 2010 title, the modern graphics and sound were awesome and made for a very immersive experience. There was a nice variety of locations visited in the game as well which added to the fun. And of course, there was some sequences involving vehicles although thankfully the game never asked me to pilot any aircraft because I suck at that without a joystick. I spent about a dozen hours in the campaign and enjoyed the whole time.

As for multiplayer, I tried the Vietnam expansion first but sadly nobody was home and I mean nobody. I started a server up myself and drove around in a tank blowing stuff up and capturing all objectives on the map just waiting for others to show up but nobody ever came. On the other hand, the regular game still had some near full servers running mostly conquest maps so there is some multiplayer fun to be had there.

All told, I'd easily recommend this game at its current price or better still on sale for its fun single player experience.
Post edited July 10, 2013 by dirtyharry50
Just finished Fallout :D

Great Game, amazing voice cast. Too bad the original Fallout movie was cancelled, I would have to own it now if they got the voice actors to play their parts in the movie too. Although they might of messed up the movie, maybe have little to do with the game as sometimes happen.

Okay Thank You: Ashkaro, Spinorial, Momo, Fifeldor, Accatone chain combo/gift givers

as luck should have it, I completed as many games this year as is your starting vault number in the game. Making this game, game (somewhere exactly between 12-14) completed. Weird Huh? Boogles the Mind, doesn't it.

Other games, Still Stuck on Quest for Glory 1 (what is wrong with me)
Well on my way to completing Theme Hospital, I started it the week or so before Fallout, but Fallout got a couple of all-nighters and pulled way ahead on completion level.
I keep looking at the Kingdom of Far Reaches icon, but haven't been able to steel up the nerve to start it up again :)
And have just Installed The Longest Journey so it is up on deck next.
dirtyharry50: Finished the excellent single player campaign of Battlefield Bad Company 2. I had a good time with this and liked how frenetic many of the firefights were given the destructible environments and the AI's penchant for blowing away your cover to expose and kill you at every opportunity. The game has an okay story to drive it along and the characters were very likable in my squad. Some of their spontaneous banter was funny and added to the experience of playing. I liked that the squad did not need any babysitting at all on my part and their pathfinding was perfect. Sometimes they actually led the way but I could always tell when things were about to hit the fan as they'd hold up and wait for me to lead the charge. With rare exception the checkpoint save system was fine and I actually liked not needing to think about saves. There was a couple of times after some intense action that there was one more thing to do and I felt like, "You've got to be kidding! Give me a save here!" But I never felt frustrated playing on normal and I'm just average at shooters.

Being a 2010 title, the modern graphics and sound were awesome and made for a very immersive experience. There was a nice variety of locations visited in the game as well which added to the fun. And of course, there was some sequences involving vehicles although thankfully the game never asked me to pilot any aircraft because I suck at that without a joystick. I spent about a dozen hours in the campaign and enjoyed the whole time.

All told, I'd easily recommend this game at its current price or better still on sale for its fun single player experience.
That is very interesting to read. I had the complete opposite experience. I felt that that campaign was by far the worst FPS campaign I've ever played (I've played Homefront!). I do agree that some of the banter was enjoyable at times, but for the most part the campaign seems like it was so haphazardly slapped together - the game is unflinchingly linear (move two steps to the right and you're leaving the combat zone...), AI sometimes freaks out and does some very bizarre things; some very frustrating sections; shallow and stereotypical characters; and I suppose most importantly, I found it to be incredibly vapid and uninspired.

I mean, I know that people often say to ignore the Battlefield games' single player components and just play the multiplayer instead. I just didn't realise how rock bottom a multiplayer-focused game's single player campaign could be.

Anyway, I just needed to vent; it's good to know that you had a positive time playing it, I certainly wish I did.
dirtyharry50: Finished the excellent single player campaign of Battlefield Bad Company 2. I had a good time with this and liked how frenetic many of the firefights were given the destructible environments and the AI's penchant for blowing away your cover to expose and kill you at every opportunity. The game has an okay story to drive it along and the characters were very likable in my squad. Some of their spontaneous banter was funny and added to the experience of playing. I liked that the squad did not need any babysitting at all on my part and their pathfinding was perfect. Sometimes they actually led the way but I could always tell when things were about to hit the fan as they'd hold up and wait for me to lead the charge. With rare exception the checkpoint save system was fine and I actually liked not needing to think about saves. There was a couple of times after some intense action that there was one more thing to do and I felt like, "You've got to be kidding! Give me a save here!" But I never felt frustrated playing on normal and I'm just average at shooters.

Austrobogulator: That is very interesting to read. I had the complete opposite experience. I felt that that campaign was by far the worst FPS campaign I've ever played (I've played Homefront!). I do agree that some of the banter was enjoyable at times, but for the most part the campaign seems like it was so haphazardly slapped together - the game is unflinchingly linear (move two steps to the right and you're leaving the combat zone...), AI sometimes freaks out and does some very bizarre things; some very frustrating sections; shallow and stereotypical characters; and I suppose most importantly, I found it to be incredibly vapid and uninspired.

I mean, I know that people often say to ignore the Battlefield games' single player components and just play the multiplayer instead. I just didn't realise how rock bottom a multiplayer-focused game's single player campaign could be.

Anyway, I just needed to vent; it's good to know that you had a positive time playing it, I certainly wish I did.
Yikes. Sorry you hated it so much. I had fun myself. Maybe I have no standards or something. I will say I certainly apply a lower standard to the content and story of a videogame than I do a book or film, a lot lower. So maybe that helps to account for me forgiving flaws that bothered you far more than me.

As for it being linear, it sure is and I probably should have mentioned that. It gives the illusion of being more open in its environments but there is a prescribed path with little room for deviation. That is true of lots of games though and I don't mind being on rails so long as its a good ride.

Something else I take as a given is that most videogames are made for kids and this one is no exception. Thus the shallow stereotypical characters, even though their banter is amusing at times. Same for the silly story. I didn't bother to measure these against a serious yardstick because to me this is just a game and a kid's game at that. But I am a big kid I guess so maybe that too contributes to me being fine with it.

This does make me think it would be nice if once in a while somebody took action games to the next level and delivered an experience akin to a quality action movie but then even those tend to be formulaic and suffer from similar flaws. Their redeeming value tends to typically be over-the-top action, catchy one-liners by tough guys, etc.

I'm playing F.E.A.R. now. I'll report in with my take on that one when I finish it. You might want to take my reviews with a big grain of salt I guess though. lol
Just finished Mega Man VI (NES)

Is it just me or does this one hand out E-tanks like candy? Because I had 8 left (out of 9) by the final boss, didn't even bother dodging his attacks half of the time and just steamrolled him.

<span class="bold">Full List</span>
Finished Go home, Dinosaurs a couple of minutes ago. An above average tower defense game, where rodents have to protect their barbecue against dinosaurs (go figure...). Good visuals, good playability, but some annoying moments... until you find the good technique to beat the level.

So far in 2013: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post31
Aliens vs Predator 2010 - i only enjoyed the Marine campaign and it was only 4 hours. I love shooting the aliens big heads and see them explode in a gooey acid mess.

Dragon Age 2 - it was like playing an MMO with AI bots. I was the healer and just let the AI team hack and slash. I only had close calls with about 3 bosses. Story was confusing and pretty bad overall. Its a decent RPG but Origin was much better.

Post edited July 11, 2013 by Heretic777
Geneforge 1--spent most of the game either being brutally murdered, or brutally murdering every enemy in my path as I flailingly went to all the wrong places in the wrong order. This game is the most convincing argument for level scaling I've seen so far. Obnoxious encumbrance system. Will probably try the second game eventually, but for now, I'm glad to be done with this.

And Yet It Moves--fun puzzle platformer; just the right length, so that I feel like I got value for my money, but the sole gameplay mechanic didn't have a chance to get old.
And another game can be added to the list :) I have just beaten Antichamber. There are still some puzzles left, but I got to the black gun and ultimately the credits :)

Full list

P.S. I'm at 11 games finished now. Will my name also become bold?
jepsen1977: Finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and it took about 25-30 hours to do so. Wow, what a disappointing game that was considering I loved AssCreed 1+ 2 but ACB just felt repetitive and with much more clunky controls. It simply felt like a money grab or cash cow to me. It's not a bad game but I will say I have now lost all interest in the AssCreed series and will not pick up 3 and 4.
That's a good decision to make.

Admittedly I liked Revelations (more than Brotherhood, less than 2 and 1), but 3 just really goes far, far away from what AC1 and AC2 did.
sibberke: And another game can be added to the list :) I have just beaten Antichamber. There are still some puzzles left, but I got to the black gun and ultimately the credits :)

Full list

P.S. I'm at 11 games finished now. Will my name also become bold?
Sure :)
jepsen1977: Finished Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and it took about 25-30 hours to do so. Wow, what a disappointing game that was considering I loved AssCreed 1+ 2 but ACB just felt repetitive and with much more clunky controls. It simply felt like a money grab or cash cow to me. It's not a bad game but I will say I have now lost all interest in the AssCreed series and will not pick up 3 and 4.
wizardtypething: That's a good decision to make.

Admittedly I liked Revelations (more than Brotherhood, less than 2 and 1), but 3 just really goes far, far away from what AC1 and AC2 did.
Thx for the advice and maybe I should give Revelations a try since I already purchased it before starting ACB.
Crusader Kings II

Full list here.
And another game is finished: Kentucky Route Zero: Act II. I have to admit, though: I have the feeling I missed a lot. But this game is fantastic, and once all acts are out, I'll probably revisit the game in play it in one go, to see what I missed.

Full List (It's finally starting to look good)
I finished few games.

LEGO: Harry Potter 1-4 few days ago. We played it co-op with my GF and it was fun. It is better than previous LEGO games thanks to splitting of screen and nice use of some magic spells, but it is incredible easy, much easier than previous games, to the point of offering no challenge at all. It also crashed much more than previous games and it has long and stupid (in placing) loading times. We achieved 100% completion with registered time of 36 hours.
7/10

L.A. Noire yesterday. Well, I didn't finish it but my GF did and I served as translator, narrator, advisor and sometimes camera handler for most of the game so I saw whole story and gameplay. It is quite good game, but I expected something else. I would like it to be more of real detective work and instead it was quite standard adventure game with some action parts. Social club was pain in the ass, there were some graphical glitches and at least 2 cases were unsolvable because of glitches and had to be restarted. Often it was also difficult to see where is the interview of witnesses and suspects going and what answer should be picked because of confusing text.
I think it deserves 6.5/10.

I also finished Divine Divinity long time ago (2 months?) and forgot to post it. I played it many years ago and liked it and it was worse this time. There was a lot of bugs, a lot of skill is either useless or overpowered and I am not entirely happy with controls. I also disliked the enemy progress. First you fight weak orcs, then you fight stronger orcs, then there are strong orcs and later strongeest orcs. After you defeat all strongest orscs, you later get to fight imps, which are much stronger fighters than strongest orcs. That's not what I like. To use the same unit and make it stronger nor to use clearly weaker unit and make it stronger only because it comes after previous units. I would understand if they were better magicians or used their agility and some of them do, but when the supposedly weak and small race is stronger than supposedly strong and mighty but dumb race, then I feel something is wrong and it makes the world unrealistic.
Still good game. 7.5/10.

I also went through Baldur's Gate 1 few weeks ago again. Not much to say. I stil like it. It is one of my favourite RPG and it is not last time I went through it. 9/10

Full list.
Post edited July 12, 2013 by Vitek