It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

He went full Fish! You never go full Fish!
ScotchMonkey: He went full Fish! You never go full Fish!
Indeed. No good ever comes from that.

What is Phil Fish up to nowadays, anyway?
jefequeso: Completely unacceptable, but I can understand the meltdown. 57 reviews, most of which are negative, and most of which you can bet aren't tactful about it. And who knows what else on the forums. For a game he/she probably worked very hard on (regardless of the final quality). Not everyone is equipped to handle that sort of stuff, especially if the dev is younger.
Vitek: I am not surprised Jim Fucking Sterling Son is involved. :-)
jefequeso: When it involves pointing and laughing at someone from a position of power, you can bet Jim Sterling will be there.
There you go being calm and all reasonable and shit.
jefequeso: Completely unacceptable, but I can understand the meltdown. 57 reviews, most of which are negative, and most of which you can bet aren't tactful about it. And who knows what else on the forums. For a game he/she probably worked very hard on (regardless of the final quality). Not everyone is equipped to handle that sort of stuff, especially if the dev is younger.

When it involves pointing and laughing at someone from a position of power, you can bet Jim Sterling will be there.
ScotchMonkey: There you go being calm and all reasonable and shit.
It depends on whether I've had my meds or not :P
DeathDiciple: I'm really getting sick of the whole gamers are evil, devs need special treatment thing. You're selling a product, they bought your product, they wrote a review about it. It could be useful, it could be stupid, whatever. If your target audience is not satisfied with a product it bought it has all the rights to complain.

And I don't know about the rest of the world, but where I'm from, muggers take money from you, they don't pay you. They're the one that sold a black box, claiming it's something it is not. It's fully within the right of a person that bought that black box to return it and bitch about it being bad. The whole slew of anti-customer practices in gaming made people believe they're above not just customer rights, but common sense as well.

If I apply for a IT job that's paid on completion and fail to deliver acceptable quality product, I don't get paid. If I fail to cover my work-hours or make progress in a company/team I work for I get fired. Noone pays me for trying. Likewise, if I act unprofessionally and throw tantrums around ruining the team I'll get kicked. They won't care about 'hurting my feelings'. And there's way more stress and pressure than a couple of Steam teen reviews can cause. Try spending years working on something, economic crisis hits, investors pull out, everything you worked for falls to pieces, back to point zero, tough luck.

Gaming dev entry barrier has became lower than ever, so we simply get people in that are completely incompetent and unprofessional, in both development aspect and behavior one. If someone is incapable of dealing with the pressure they can hire a PR. Supporting devs that act like this is just going to hurt the reputation of indies altogether.
jefequeso: And I, conversely, am getting sick of the whole "developers are evil, gamers need special treatment" thing. If you spend one dollar on a game that isn't to your liking, you've lost a dollar and some time. That's it. Take your business elsewhere.

Nobody is defending the developers actions, we're saying that maybe, possibly, the Steam community treated him unfairly.

Disliking a product doesn't give you the right to be an asshole. Period.
(Note this is not directed at you jefequeso or anyone else in paticular)
And I am personally getting sick of both sides!

In all seriousness though like all things both sides are just as right and just as wrong. Some devs are asshats and some customers are just as bad. It's like that for any two groups. The Religious and the Atheists, Republican and Democrat, the SJW and the Anti-SJW crowd and so on. It bothers how so many feel that one side has to be in the right 100% of the time or that one side is the less worse of the two because it's bullshit both sides are always going to be as bad as the other no matter what.
jefequeso: And I, conversely, am getting sick of the whole "developers are evil, gamers need special treatment" thing. If you spend one dollar on a game that isn't to your liking, you've lost a dollar and some time. That's it. Take your business elsewhere.

Nobody is defending the developers actions, we're saying that maybe, possibly, the Steam community treated him unfairly.

DCT: (Note this is not directed at you jefequeso or anyone else in paticular)

In all seriousness though like all things both sides are just as right and just as wrong. Some devs are asshats and some customers are just as bad. It's like that for any two groups. The Religious and the Atheists, Republican and Democrat, the SJW and the Anti-SJW crowd and so on. It bothers how so many feel that one side has to be in the right 100% of the time or that one side is the less worse of the two because it's bullshit both sides are always going to be as bad as the other no matter what.
Ok, fair enough. I'm of course biased toward the developer side of things, but yeah...
ScotchMonkey: He went full Fish! You never go full Fish!
jefequeso: Indeed. No good ever comes from that.

Dunno, he hasn't made an ass of himself in public in while so he may actually be dead.

Honestly though hes probably being investigated by the FCC.
ScotchMonkey: There you go being calm and all reasonable and shit.
jefequeso: It depends on whether I've had my meds or not :P
Got any blue ones?
Post edited June 16, 2015 by ScotchMonkey
jefequeso: Indeed. No good ever comes from that.

ScotchMonkey: Dunno, he hasn't made an ass of himself in public in while so he may actually be dead.

Was that ever confirmed to be true?

Gamers getting 'special treatment' by having the right to do the same thing with games like the rest of the customers could with any other product out there? I'm not even asking for anything at all, I'm saying that unprofessional behavior leads to certain responses, that you seem to be dead set on 'shunning', if not flat outlawing.

You're the one disrespecting the money and time of your customers, one buck, or 30, surely worthless, where'd I see that before? Oh, right, I bet you want to defend this dev behavior too? What's the cost range of a game where it should be sheltered from bad reviews, and how bad is an asshole behavior anyway? She banned a dickbag, I suppose asshole is less than a dickbag, so should it be banned or not?

I specifically took my time to explain why your special snowflake attitude won't work anywhere else. I see I had wasted my time, I'll try not to make the same mistake again. Please tell me in which company would such employee behavior towards the user base be acceptable.
Post edited June 16, 2015 by DeathDiciple

DeathDiciple: Gamers getting 'special treatment' by having the right to do the same thing with games like the rest of the customers could with any other product out there is 'special treatment'? I'm not even asking for anything at all, I'm saying that unprofessional behavior leads to certain responses, that you seem to be dead set on 'shunning', if not flat outlawing.

You're the one disrespecting the money and time of your customers, one buck, or 30, surely worthless, where'd I see that before? Oh, right, I bet you want to defend this dev behavior too? What's the cost range of a game where it should be sheltered from bad reviews, and how bad is an asshole behavior anyway? She banned a dickhead, I suppose asshole is less than a dickbag, so should it be banned or not?

I specifically took my time to explain why your special snowflake attitude won't work anywhere else. I see I had wasted my time, I'll try not to make the same mistake again. Please tell me in which company would such employee behavior towards the user base be acceptable.
I never said developers should be sheltered from bad reviews, I said that consumers don't have a right to be assholes if they don't like a game.
ScotchMonkey: Dunno, he hasn't made an ass of himself in public in while so he may actually be dead.

jefequeso: Was that ever confirmed to be true?
The FCC? No clue. But it was dirty pool through and through.

The investors were revealed when Polytron got hacked. The investors were on the judges panel at IGF. Fish won.

If that don't get your spidey sense tingling then consider this: Kelly Santiago was an investor as well. She was chair of the IC’s awards jury and thus had had involvement in every single vote that was cast during the festival. Fez won again.
DCT: (Note this is not directed at you jefequeso or anyone else in paticular)

I suppose you could always pull an extreme of each side to prove your point. I don't consider myself to be on either side, I'm a programmer but not a game programmer. If I ever get to start that game project of mine for real, I may get on the other side for real. But I seriously doubt I'd get more 'understanding' for people going full postal over what someone said on the internet, in gaming or out of it. The outrage/victim mentality has to end.
cal74: ...
That reminds me of what I saw yesterday in the Android App Store. There was this game I was playing and I went to the its store page. Out of curiosity, I decided to look at the review. Several of them where rating the game 1 star with a similar feedback: "Your game is great... Loved it... Would have given 5 stars if I did not have to pay for it.". I was like "what the hell".
A friend had a somehow similar experience. His Android app got several 1 stars ratings from guys complaining that it is not translated to Russian. It was stated clearly in the description that it is available in English only. You would have guessed the people not being firm in English would just ignore it and go on...
jefequeso: I never said developers should be sheltered from bad reviews, I said that consumers don't have a right to be assholes if they don't like a game.
uhh why not? I'm pretty sure most of us have the right to be assholes all the time, I make frequent use of it, like right now, not liking a game seems to be a much better reason
Trilarion: A friend had a somehow similar experience. His Android app got several 1 stars ratings from guys complaining that it is not translated to Russian. It was stated clearly in the description that it is available in English only. You would have guessed the people not being firm in English would just ignore it and go on...
But what if they couldn't read it because the language information was only in English...? *ducks*