It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
[This is a sticky post, it will be visible in every single page of this thread. It has been published in October 2020.]

Our moderation team decided not to take a side in the discussion since this giveaway thread was created by the community and, as long as there are no forum rules violated, is up to you, dear Gogers, to decide its fate. We will not set giveaway rules, edit the OP's post, nor lock the whole thread.

However, to make it easier for newcomers to understand the situation (about the OP being inactive and other), I will stick my own post right above the first one.

You are, of course, free to create new threads to start anew and make your own, clear rules. At the same time, please stay reasonable when crating them, as multiple new duplicates might make it even more confusing for many Gogers.

That being said, here you can find a post with dxenija's community poll to have better understanding of the situation: CLICK.

At the time of writing, open giveaway threads are:
- Massive Giveaways Blog
- Free (temporary) keys giveaway central topic. (this one)
- Updated Itch.io giveaways

Be nice to each other *flies away*
Post edited January 29, 2021 by ponczo_
BenKii: Amnesia Collection (Steam) is free for 48 hours on the Humble Store. It includes Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Link
Thanks for this, good find.
A forgettable deal? ;-)
BenKii: Amnesia Collection (Steam) is free for 48 hours on the Humble Store. It includes Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Link
evilnancyreagan: Even at as-cheap-as-free I'm gonna Nope. off of both of these

as always though, thanks for the heads up :)
You can always add them to boost the game collector badge progress and if the games have card drops you can alt tab the game on the menu screen to get all of the card drops and sell them on the Steam marketplace for steam wallet funds that can go towards buying games that you do want to play. :)
ZatEmerald:
I would think the cost of electricity wasted that way would equal or be higher than the gain plus it smells like work and badly paid such.
ZatEmerald:
Themken: I would think the cost of electricity wasted that way would equal or be higher than the gain plus it smells like work and badly paid such.
I know that what I'm about to write will be incredibly pedantic but the cost of electricity would be negligible considering how energy efficient modern consumer PC parts are and would largely depend on how many other tasks your PC was doing at the time as well as the efficiency rating of your PSU as PSUs are most efficient around 50% of their actual rated wattage which means your PSU is actually losing a higher percentage of the power it takes from the wall to heat generation while the PC is idle than if your PC was using an amount of power that was closer to 50% of the PSU's rated capacity. In other words if you care about micromanaging your electricity usage then you have bigger problems to look out for. ;)

Additionally if care about increasing the profit from using your PC you should probably consider mining cryptocurrencies since, depending on electricity costs in your area, it would probably generate substantially more profit than most other things you can use your PC for. ;)
Post edited January 26, 2018 by ZatEmerald

ZatEmerald: You can always add them to boost the game collector badge progress and if the games have card drops you can alt tab the game on the menu screen to get all of the card drops and sell them on the Steam marketplace for steam wallet funds that can go towards buying games that you do want to play. :)
If you're into steam card trading, check out the open source application Idle Master, you can get card drops for a game you own without having to download, or run it. It is not against the TOS, you can read about it in this article.
Post edited January 26, 2018 by augustenz

So I would not worry about it at all.
Agreed but it only takes a second to upvote. :)

edit: Some of us like seeing appreciation. It helps counter the lovely folks we meet online in mmo pvp chat who go on at length about everyone else is too busy screwing dead mothers to pay attention to what they're doing or other lovely comments about that.

I have to wonder if it;s related to the bananatic spam up there.
Post edited January 26, 2018 by drmike
Game Giveaway of the day — Rush for Gold: California

Exclusive offer from Giveaway of the Day and MyPlayCity! No third-party advertising and browser add-ons!

Travel to the Wild West and feel the legendary Gold Fever in Rush for Gold: California! Striking locations, funny characters, and exciting gameplay are all waiting for you in this sensational time-management adventure. Build your own town from the ground up, help its citizens prosper, and pave your way to fame and fortune. If you're not afraid of a little hard work, this game won't disappoint!

The offer ends in 4 hours 38 minutes
Link for the gold rush game Nico mentioned:
Link

Also, though it's been free for some time, a search showed that the last post mentioning it in this thread was back in 2015. So for those who don't know, Plants vs Zombies goty edition is free (for Origin):
Link
Post edited January 28, 2018 by BlueMooner
Game Giveaway of the Day - Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova
Exclusive offer from Giveaway of the Day and MyPlayCity! No third-party advertising and browser add-ons!

Stroll through the gothic and gloomy alleys of Prague, listen to chansons on the streets of Paris and enjoy the elegant and light architecture of Venice in this Hidden Object game. As Francesca Di Porta, you are looking for clues to shed some light on Casanova’s life and reveal his greatest secret. Unfold the mystery that is Casanova, the world`s most famous lover and adventurer, in Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova!

Game Giveaway of the Day - Forge of Gods: Dragon Trainer Pack
Please note: This content requires the base game Forge of Gods (RPG) on Steam in order to play. You can download and install the basic edition of Forge of Gods free of charge.

Are you ready for thrilling journey?

The Dragon Trainer Pack is a great choice for the true adventurer to get a quick start in Forge of Gods! Rush to FORGE your own GODS in this huge and dangerous fantasy world of Pangea!

List of incredibly powerful creatures you will get:

Storm Dragon (max 7 stars)
Green Dragon (max 7 stars)
Winter Dragon - (max 7 stars)
Spring Monster - (max 6 stars)
Courageous Beetle - (max 6 stars)
Wastelander - (max 7 stars)

You'll get your rewards after tutorial.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/537322/Forge_of_Gods_Dragon_Trainer_pack/

Link

What is so bad about them? I actually wanted those, but sadly missed this offer :(

BlackThorny: What is so bad about them? I actually wanted those, but sadly missed this offer :(
My guess is that the evil ex-FLOTUS here is either:

a. Totally not a fan of first-person horror games, or

b. Reluctant to link her Humble and Steam accounts.

Apropos of the latter, I've got some doubts: is the link permanent, much like the GOG Connect one? Or you can unlink them at any time? (not that Humble/IGN won't remember anyway...)

Also, what happens when you reveal the Steam key that comes with a Humble game? Is it automatically redeemed in your still account, or can you just copy-paste it and do as you see fit with it like before?
BlackThorny: What is so bad about them? I actually wanted those, but sadly missed this offer :(
muntdefems: My guess is that the evil ex-FLOTUS here is either:

Apropos of the latter, I've got some doubts: is the link permanent, much like the GOG Connect one? Or you can unlink them at any time? (not that Humble/IGN won't remember anyway...)

Also, what happens when you reveal the Steam key that comes with a Humble game? Is it automatically redeemed in your still account, or can you just copy-paste it and do as you see fit with it like before?
You can unlink anytime.
The key isn't automatically redeemed but if there is an expiration date you have to reveal it and copy it somewhere safe because it will disappear after the expiration date. You can do whatever you want with it. There is also a button that says redeem that takes you to the Steam activation page with the key pasted and this is the fastest way to redeem to your account.
muntdefems: My guess is that the evil ex-FLOTUS here is either:

It is definitely NOT auto redeemed. In the old days (two or so years ago?) there was an auth link, where you could only redeem on account without actually seeing the key, later to become an optional feature to auto-redeem if you wish. But later on Steam disabled this feature.

I know at IndieGala you can always unlink your steam, also on Groupees. Gog is somewhat unique, as their offer has legitimate reasons to be so.

edit: removed ninjad data
Post edited January 29, 2018 by BlackThorny
greeklover: ...
BlackThorny: ...
Thanks to both! In that case, I may consider linking my accounts whenever they do an interesting giveaway (i.e. a game with Linux support and which doesn't require the Steam client nor an internet connection to run).

I knew that for a brief period of time you could only activate Steam keys directly on your linked Steam account without even knowing what the key was, but they eventually backed out of it. I was more concerned about the fact that, with my accounts linked, they (Humble) could be able to know whether my Steam keys end up being activated on my own account, or on someone else's (who has also linked their Humble and Steam accounts). I don't really know what you can "legally" do with the Steam keys provided by Humble and I seem to remember that, at least in the beginnings of the Humble Indie Bundles, their terms and conditions kind of stated that the Steam keys they provided were for your personal use only.