It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Lifthrasil: Sailor Moon? Or tentacles and schoolgirls?
Anime girls vs traps?
Lifthrasil: Sailor Moon? Or tentacles and schoolgirls?
All.
JoeSapphire: I could try and do a russian roulette?
Yeahhhh!

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_am_once_again_asking_for_players_for_a_forum_team_challenge_russian_roulette
Recent discussion about night chat being old-school got me thinking about local beginnings and about MTGSalvation as mafia got imported here from there. Today I went to look how they are faring and apparently they declined even more than we did here. It used to be quite big there withe several games running at once.
Now it got to point that last year they started only 2 games, then 1 this January didn't even fill up and after that they moved to Mafia Universe and mafia ended there. So our mafia daddy is now deceased.

On top of that I tried to look up the few games I played there and while the games are there, they apparently deleted inactive accounts and all their posts, so my whole contribution is gone. I am preserved only in some quotes and the game thread make little sense when there is several people who were deleted.
I think I need to drink today to its memory.
That's really sad. :(

I'm curious, did we inherit a lot of the GOG Mafia eccentricities from MTGSalvation or did we develop them ourselves? I assume things like night-only chat were common there (back then at least), but I'm wondering whether our slow (by other people's standards) games came from there or if it's something we developed ourselves? The first game here didn't have any deadlines and one of the Days lasted a month or more.
I thought that mafia having night chat only was the norm. O.o
Vitek: Recent discussion about night chat being old-school got me thinking about local beginnings and about MTGSalvation as mafia got imported here from there. Today I went to look how they are faring and apparently they declined even more than we did here. It used to be quite big there withe several games running at once.
Now it got to point that last year they started only 2 games, then 1 this January didn't even fill up and after that they moved to Mafia Universe and mafia ended there. So our mafia daddy is now deceased.

On top of that I tried to look up the few games I played there and while the games are there, they apparently deleted inactive accounts and all their posts, so my whole contribution is gone. I am preserved only in some quotes and the game thread make little sense when there is several people who were deleted.
I think I need to drink today to its memory.
I feel you.

I played there as well as several other sites. There are nought but ruins at most of my old haunts. I was sad.

So much anger...so much rage...all lost to the nether. I am sad.

Then I realized I know Vitek! I am glad.
Catventurer: I thought that mafia having night chat only was the norm. O.o
I wouldn't take Koba's salty remarks as gospel. When I played on MS, Nightchat only was the norm. Daychat may be Koba's preference, but that doesn't make it normal. One angry person's preference doesn't make a rule.

Actually in the Wiki, Nightchat only is still defined as the norm.
I thought that until multiple people from different places told me otherwise. If that makes us unique then so be it!
Lifthrasil: I wouldn't take Koba's salty remarks as gospel. When I played on MS, Nightchat only was the norm. Daychat may be Koba's preference, but that doesn't make it normal. One angry person's preference doesn't make a rule.

Oh, let me clarify. I did come from elsewhere too, and mafia team only had night chat.

Day chat never really made any sense to us. If you have a group of people, you're going to notice if some of them keep pulling away from the group to whisper among themselves. That's essentially what day chat is.
Lifthrasil: I wouldn't take Koba's salty remarks as gospel. When I played on MS, Nightchat only was the norm. Daychat may be Koba's preference, but that doesn't make it normal. One angry person's preference doesn't make a rule.

Catventurer: Oh, let me clarify. I did come from elsewhere too, and mafia team only had night chat.

Day chat never really made any sense to us. If you have a group of people, you're going to notice if some of them keep pulling away from the group to whisper among themselves. That's essentially what day chat is.
Hehe, that's a bit like what I said to Pooka. I compared day chat to essentially giving the mafia telepathy.
Catventurer: Oh, let me clarify. I did come from elsewhere too, and mafia team only had night chat.

my name is grompy catte: Hehe, that's a bit like what I said to Pooka. I compared day chat to essentially giving the mafia telepathy.
I can buy into giving the mafia team day chat if the theme is X-Men or something else where it is reasonable to have telepaths, which means that they can have their day chat while the telepath on their team is alive.

Even if mafia chat involves texting, the town team should notice when the same bunch of people are getting text alerts and/or on their cell phones at the same time.
flubbucket: I feel you.

I played there as well as several other sites. There are nought but ruins at most of my old haunts. I was sad.

So much anger...so much rage...all lost to the nether. I am sad.

Then I realized I know Vitek! I am glad.
Imagine how I feel when I don't have anything like that to console me.
Roughly how many places you played at?

But recently the games seem to be convering to MU from across the internet so it is easy for the way they play to become norm.
We can say many places use different meta than they do but if MU dwarfs them it is highly possibly they set the trend of what people expect.

my name is grompy catte: That's really sad. :(

I'm curious, did we inherit a lot of the GOG Mafia eccentricities from MTGSalvation or did we develop them ourselves? I assume things like night-only chat were common there (back then at least), but I'm wondering whether our slow (by other people's standards) games came from there or if it's something we developed ourselves? The first game here didn't have any deadlines and one of the Days lasted a month or more.
I believe a lot of our antics are taken from there. We were told that's the way mafia plays so we accepted is as the correct way. The long phases (but it was still much more intense with higher frequency of posting) , night chat, way to scum-hunt, what some tells are. It was molded here to better suit people here, simply by playing and finding ways that suit us, but I think in its core, we played in very similar manner.
There is a reason why it is only place outside GOG where I ever dared to try to play. It didn't last long, but it was only place where I felt comfortable to try. I've got to admit, I also tried to emulate lot of things for my own playstyle from there myself. It lasted until I figured out I am not good at it and ratehr stopped with most of it.
Catventurer: I can buy into giving the mafia team day chat if the theme is X-Men or something else where it is reasonable to have telepaths, which means that they can have their day chat while the telepath on their team is alive.

Even if mafia chat involves texting, the town team should notice when the same bunch of people are getting text alerts and/or on their cell phones at the same time.
I think unlike you most places put game mechanics above lore and plausability, so as long as it makes gameplay seemingly better then anything goes. :-) Not that I disagree with you, I prefer no daychat as well, but I think many people would maybe find this reason secondary.
Post edited August 11, 2022 by Vitek
Catventurer: I can buy into giving the mafia team day chat if the theme is X-Men or something else where it is reasonable to have telepaths, which means that they can have their day chat while the telepath on their team is alive.

Vitek: I think unlike you most places put game mechanics above lore and plausability, so as long as it makes gameplay seemingly better then anything goes. :-) Not that I disagree with you, I prefer no daychat as well, but I think many people would maybe find this reason secondary.
I think that a lot of that depends on who is running the game and even who is playing it.

In the past, I was co-running games on a book nerd site where I was also a roleplay moderator, so things were lore heavy even before there was a huge spillover from roleplay to mafia games. I would go so far as to say that lore mattered more in those games than plausibility, mechanics, who won, or anything else.

Games were likewise a lot faster than here because while those of us running the games wouldn't mind slowing things down, those playing them didn't have the patience for it.