It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ZFR: From their friend's page. That's the leak.
If I have a public profile page and friend gogtrial, people can use my profile page to see info about gogtrial.
Microfish_1: surely that only includes hours played from games launched via the launcher, and not the old method of downloading the offline installer or launching outside of the launcher?
Yes, hours played only gets counted from Galaxy, but to be honest I'm not sure what other info is collected. Like number/names of games owned... that gets tracked whether you use Galaxy or not.
ZFR: Yes, hours played only gets counted from Galaxy, but to be honest I'm not sure what other info is collected. Like number/names of games owned... that gets tracked whether you use Galaxy or not.
If I look at my friends profile I can see list of their friends and on that list is number of game owned, overall achievemnt count and hours played total (though Galaxy only of course). So yeah, while it is only few things, stats that shouldn't have are showed to third party.
Post edited August 12, 2020 by Vitek
Vitek: So yeah, while it is onlyfew things, stat's that shouldn't have are showed to third party.
Yup. Absolutely.
Vitek: If I look at my friends profile I can see list of their friends and on that list is number of game owned, overall achievemnt count and hours played total (though Galaxy only of course).
OK, I see it now. I knew there was a leak somewhere but was too lazy to check what it actually is.

Yes, shouldn't happen. If my friend told me he's too busy to help me during the weekend then I see they played 48hrs, I'd be pissed at them.
Post edited August 12, 2020 by ZFR
Microfish_1: surely that only includes hours played from games launched via the launcher, and not the old method of downloading the offline installer or launching outside of the launcher?
It includes how many games I own, and thus when queried regularly, allows tracking of when I buy how many games. Given sufficient friends (particularly those with few other friends), the "Popular with friends" feature would even allow tracking which games those are.

I'm not worried here about individual friends knowing these things (though 'micro-leaks' like the above "played for 48 hours" or "I claimed to be broke, but two days later added 20 games to my list" are bad in their own way), and obviously not about gog, but extracting private information from public profiles is big business, and this is exactly the type of information which can be pretty valuable, as it directly relates to money being spent. I cannot imagine anything other than that this is being done by several parties for the entire gog user base, or at least for any username who's ever posted in the forum or is connected through public friend chains to anyone who has done so. And then of course, if you use your username across multiple sites, this information gets connected to everything else which is known about you. It's the chief reason why gog's launch of "public by default" user profiles was such a bad idea.

(I realize a similar thing is also possible through the public wishlist feature; which is why the games on my public wishlist are mostly marginal wishes I might someday get around to looking at, and a game being removed from my wishlist is as likely to have been bought as have been deemed not worth buying ever - stuff I really want, I just buy.)
Post edited August 12, 2020 by gogtrial34987
i see. thank you for the explanations. I appreciate them!
Since this is meta(afaik) and not re: the current game, it should be ok to post this here.

In reply to this post by ZFR and any other comments others might've made(didn't read them all yet)

I don't have as much of a problem with people playing as they want to...it was more to do with a scant few players seemingly 'doting' on me for my play style(some who posted many more criticisms than compliments) instead of maybe also just respecting a bit more that it's my own play style.....and maybe offering some advice, compliments, or extra kind words(such as "at least you're trying a bit more now" or similar) as well.

That plus a few other factors(burn out, etc) made me decide to help get out of the current game early.

Sorry if my words in there came off as a bit harsh, everyone, and i'll hopefully be feeling better by next game.
game bump please
ZFR: game bump please
Bump pls.
OK, I'm a bit nervous here.

Those of you who know Vitek better, is he as scum in this situation more likely to say "damn! Looks like you got me dead to rights" or "I guess ZFR is dead"?
ZFR: OK, I'm a bit nervous here.

Those of you who know Vitek better, is he as scum in this situation more likely to say "damn! Looks like you got me dead to rights" or "I guess ZFR is dead"?
Wrong thread buddy.
ZFR: OK, I'm a bit nervous here.

my name is coole catte: Wrong thread buddy.
Sorry!!!
ZFR: Sorry!!!
It's quite alright. We all make moistakes.
Or is it?
Vitek: Or is it?
Well maybe ZFR isn't posting about the game. Has he shot you for reals?
my name is coole catte: It's quite alright. We all make moistakes.
Do ho ho