It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ZFR: ♫♫ "I'm a Townie and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I vote all day." ♫♫
Sleep all night eh... softclaiming vanilla?
ZFR: ♫♫ "I'm a Townie and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I vote all day." ♫♫
SirPrimalform: Sleep all night eh... softclaiming vanilla?
That's the LAMIST song I've ever heard.
PoppyAppletree: That's the LAMIST song I've ever heard.
And vanilla is probably the safest falseclaim.

Metavote ZFR
adaliabooks: Better to say that it's only in play for a certain length of time, like only for the first day or the first two or three days (or based on numbers, but that may give away a definite size of the mafia squad)
Might be interesting to try it in a game, declaring the auto-self-vote ends once it could result in a quick hammer by Mafia. So Town would know mafia's exact size once Lylo begins.
adaliabooks: Better to say that it's only in play for a certain length of time, like only for the first day or the first two or three days (or based on numbers, but that may give away a definite size of the mafia squad)
Bookwyrm627: Might be interesting to try it in a game, declaring the auto-self-vote ends once it could result in a quick hammer by Mafia. So Town would know mafia's exact size once Lylo begins.
That is a good idea. Of course it gives town information, which has to be balanced somehow. But it's better than risking a sudden end that cannot be prevented by town in any way.
Bookwyrm627: Might be interesting to try it in a game, declaring the auto-self-vote ends once it could result in a quick hammer by Mafia. So Town would know mafia's exact size once Lylo begins.
Lifthrasil: That is a good idea. Of course it gives town information, which has to be balanced somehow. But it's better than risking a sudden end that cannot be prevented by town in any way.
How about the "Well, looks like you might be booped. Don't screw it up!" pressure? ;)
Lifthrasil: That is a good idea. Of course it gives town information, which has to be balanced somehow. But it's better than risking a sudden end that cannot be prevented by town in any way.
or making it a mechanic that only applies D1 + D2?

So in Summary:
-D1 + D2 start off with everyone voting themselves. (edit: and unvoting doesn't work/you need to have a vote on someone or on no-lynch) D3 onward start with no votes as it has always been. (edit: and not voting is possible again)
-auto Majority Lynch at Nightfall (and mod decides beforehand if a tie in votes is no-lynch, double/triple/quadruple etc. lynch, or random lynch)

sounds balanced?
Post edited August 01, 2018 by mchack
I'm out until probably November. Have fun, ya'll!
Lifthrasil: To remove that speedhammer danger, one could say that the votes are only counted at fixed times. Say, once per (real time) day. So that everyone has the chance to remove the default-self vote by doing something.
My 2cents

This looks like Columbo's egg to me... just consider the votes unlocked until EOD regardless of absolute maj.
Can still keep relative maj vote so highest wagon gets lynched and No Lynch or Rand happens on ties.

The first somewhat decreases pressure on the potential lynchee since he can campaign to be let go, the second offsets that.

Together I think it should make wagons much more strategic and make vote decisions matter in a different way. It would remove relying on speed and coordination - which hinders Maf. But it really opens up Maf strategies around bussing whereas they are often too risky with the typical rules.

Extra spiciness would be random adjustments to the EOD time. So the lock time is announced at start of day to be 48 hours from now. But then 24 hours in there is announcement it will be -2 hours. And 12 hours to go, a second rand might make it even earlier, or back to normal. Whatever times can be played aroudn with, but the point is that if someone is concerned that a fixed time for locking votes will make people not play the whole day until the end, then variable round time can help.

That assumes people don't want something like mandatory voting which would be much simpler to implement. first post must include a vote, and from then on a vote must always be kept. Of course can vote No Lynch, but then you are giving more power to determine the lynch to everyone else.
Post edited August 01, 2018 by Brasas
Brasas: Extra spiciness would be random adjustments to the EOD time. So the lock time is announced at start of day to be 48 hours from now. But then 24 hours in there is announcement it will be -2 hours. And 12 hours to go, a second rand might make it even earlier, or back to normal. Whatever times can be played aroudn with, but the point is that if someone is concerned that a fixed time for locking votes will make people not play the whole day until the end, then variable round time can help.
Lift's Stalker games had a hard "safe" time, and then a hard "EOD time", where the actual EOD was randomly determined to be between those two times. So, we might have 5 days to talk safely, but once that elapsed, then we'd be subject to EOD at any moment for another day or two.

In the asylum game, every few hours Bler moved the deadline a few minutes closer. The candle was burning at both ends, so to speak.
Bookwyrm627: Lift's Stalker games had a hard "safe" time, and then a hard "EOD time", where the actual EOD was randomly determined to be between those two times. So, we might have 5 days to talk safely, but once that elapsed, then we'd be subject to EOD at any moment for another day or two.

In the asylum game, every few hours Bler moved the deadline a few minutes closer. The candle was burning at both ends, so to speak.
Nice. Did it work well? Saw any negatives?
In tabletop games this sort of slightly randomized end conditions can help the kind of games which are prone to be formulaic.
Brasas: Nice. Did it work well? Saw any negatives?
*shrug* We went into the STALKER danger zone more than once, and we had at least one No Lynch By Deadline. We never hit the deadline in Bler's game, but there were other factors that also played into that lack (plenty of things happened to keep the game moving).

I kind of like the principle of it, especially the "you're in the danger zone now and the Day could end any minute".
I think the Stalker mechanic worked nicely in making the players active a bit earlier.

So, how about this. The game will have two deadlines and the self-voting only comes into effect after the first one. First phase: regular play. If the players manage to achieve an absolute majority (without enforced self-votes), the Day ends prematurely. If they don't come to an agreement, the 'decision bell' rings and Phase 1 ends. Anyone who isn't voting anyone (or no-lynch) by then, will be considered self voting. Some semi-random time after the decision bell (like 24h +X) the second deadline strikes and the one with the most votes will be lynched. If two tie, both are lynched. If three or more die, one of them will be selected randomly.

I even have a setting where such a mechanic would fit perfectly!

Vitek: It is good thing I am so forgettable.
JoeSapphire: ...
zeogold: ...
I think you three should send the Gogfather a PM to make it official that you want to be included in the hosting list!
Post edited August 01, 2018 by Lifthrasil
zeogold: ...
Lifthrasil: I think you three should send the Gogfather a PM to make it official that you want to be included in the hosting list!
The gogfather isn't accepting my messages. whatcanyoudo?
Lifthrasil: I think you three should send the Gogfather a PM to make it official that you want to be included in the hosting list!
JoeSapphire: The gogfather isn't accepting my messages. whatcanyoudo?
That's your own privacy settings, my dude. GOG changed it some while back so that it's rolled onto "friends only" unless you fix it.