It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bookwyrm627: Do we have an "Official Rule Template" that can be used for easy copy/paste anywhere? If not, can we get one for use by the mods?
The majority of the rules are game dependent even though most games tend to share most of them. There are only a handful of rules that are mandatory and should always be included - they are included in post #2.

drealmer7: post #2 has them, I figure the new rule will be added shortly. Perhaps an update on the cryptoclaiming would be good too
Post #2 has been updated to include our new rule.
TheGOGfather: PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT (game rules update)

[...] If someone wishes to disbelieve someone else's RL excuse they are free to do so in private. [...]
Private as in keeping any doubts to oneself?

TheGOGfather: [...] so having fun should be a lot more important than winning.
Why is game #49 listed as a Mafia Win when there was no Mafia team?
drealmer7: Perhaps an update on the cryptoclaiming would be good too
"No krypsynclaiming"?
HypersomniacLive: ............
Why is game #49 listed as a Mafia Win when there was no Mafia team?
REDACTED
Post edited July 27, 2017 by flubbucket
HypersomniacLive: Private as in keeping any doubts to oneself?
Correct.
drealmer7: Perhaps an update on the cryptoclaiming would be good too
bler144: "No krypsynclaiming"?
heh
HypersomniacLive: Private as in keeping any doubts to oneself?
TheGOGfather: Correct.
I think we need to be careful and recognize there is a nuance between "RL" and "RL issues"

- spending a bunch of time with your girlfriend and then not making time to play the game you are signed up for is "RL" but it is not an "issue" and is not an excuse to not participate as much as you should be

- being in a serious days-long fight with your spouse to the point where you can't focus or have the energy to play is a "RL issue" and is a fine reason for not participating as much as you should

- taking a 3 day vacation to go to the beach is not a "RL issue", so no coming in and saying "sorry, RL got in the way" for that shit

- being in a vehicular accident and hospitalized for 12+ hours is a RL issue.

- simply saying "I've been busy in RL" is not a "RL issue" and I think it is fine to explain yourself that way without it falling under the abuse that the spirit of the rule is addressing. Players are still free to believe you or not, and if not, still okay to scumread them for it if you want.

I think we should be free to contact the mod about any concerns and that is part of "keeping it private" - or address the player AFTER the game is over about it

----

I think one of the biggest problems is that players have felt the need/desire/responsibility to police player participation themselves, but really THE MODERATOR is in charge of this stuff and it is up to them to determine if their players are playing within the confines of the rule and prod ranges.

This is why we HAVE prods, and I've been really perturbed at players taking issue with other player's participation levels to such a degree. Leave it to the mod to prod players. If a player is posting minimal content but not being absent enough to get prodded, make it simple: do you scumread them for their shittastic lurking? did they miss addressing something that you want them to address? be specific about it. If you're scum and you want to try and paint a towny scummy for minimal participation, don't start harassing them about their participation, just explain that you think they're a scummy lurker, don't make the reasons for the lurking content, just the lurking is content.
The best outcome you can achieve from discussion about what "real life" means, is that is may touch a heart and a soul of at least one individual player who shall play by the code of honor from here on out.

But by the end of the day all you've really got is a man's word which you can't prove to be true or untrue, but you can choose to believe in and live a longer and more prosperous life yourself. Like it was (and maybe still is being) written in the rules: "If you are annoyed by somebody, just politely lynch them later".
drealmer7: I think we need to be careful and recognize there is a nuance between "RL" and "RL issues"
Of course not every little thing should pass as a valid excuse. Fortunately, if there is a situation when people aren't clear on whether or not something is a valid reason or not your friendly neighborhood GOGfather will be here to break the tie.

The fact that further discussion on the matter is required shows even more that the rule is needed and the GOGfather will be one bit more active in helping the players and the mods resolving questionable situations.

One final word - the point of the rule is not to start a witch hunt for players who may be trying to abuse it. It's exactly the opposite - to give people the benefit of the doubt when they need it and not make their lives even worse for the sake of a game that is supposed to be a way of relaxing and leaving everyday problems aside for a moment.
And if someone decides to make extra effort to abuse this without getting caught - let them have it. If a win is important enough to throw away the most basic morals just to obtain it - let them have it. They probably need a hug anyway.

Dessimu: The best outcome you can achieve from discussion about what "real life" means, is that is may touch a heart and a soul of at least one individual player who shall play by the code of honor from here on out.

But by the end of the day all you've really got is a man's word which you can't prove to be true or untrue, but you can choose to believe in and live a longer and more prosperous life yourself. Like it was (and maybe still is being) written in the rules: "If you are annoyed by somebody, just politely lynch them later".
Amen. It seems we are starting to understand each other :)
Since I seem to be better at modding than at playing, please put me on the modding list again. I have an idea for another SHODAN game.
I dunno, I think it hurts the setup that everyone already knows JMich is the cultist going in.
bler144: I dunno, I think it hurts the setup that everyone already knows JMich is the cultist going in.
It will actually be a game without a proper Cult. Rather with two enemy factions: SHODAN and The Many. So, the setting will be System Shock 2.
Lifthrasil: It will actually be a game without a proper Cult. Rather with two enemy factions: SHODAN and The Many. So, the setting will be System Shock 2.
You need to develop a Hot Fuzz setting.
Who or where should I go to if I want to get a closed setup checked here?
GammaEmerald: Who or where should I go to if I want to get a closed setup checked here?
If I understand your question correctly, you ask for an assist-mod, i.e. someone from the mafia community, preferably with modding experience, who will help you in that department. It goes without saying that when your game's up, they won't play in it.