It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

yogsloth: Yeah, just gave it a couple more runs before knocking off for the night.

I die usually in the first or second room every time. I got a penalty in one room of "can't move". Great.

I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing. I can't seem to hit anything. I just enter a room and get blown to pieces, and the game ends. I think this was five bucks I'd rather have back. I really wish there were at least some instructions someplace so I could see if I'm just missing something.
Did you try IDDQD and IDKFA ?

No, seriously. Roguelikes are for players who enjoy dying. I can't count how many times I died in Nethack - and it still was fun. But somehow I don't like modern Roguelikes any more. I probably got more impatient or less frustration resistant than I used to be.
adaliabooks: You'll probably need to die about 100 times before you really start improving...
flubbucket: this
Does this also apply to forum mafia, or would that be "lynch/kill a 100 times??
Post edited November 23, 2015 by HypersomniacLive
flubbucket: this
HypersomniacLive: Does this also apply to forum mafia, or would that be "lynch/kill a 100 times??
I'm not sure I'd classify forum mafia as a roguelike... the graphics are mostly ASCII, and there is a lot of dying and starting over... but I don't know that it fits in any other ways..

:P
adaliabooks: I'm not sure I'd classify forum mafia as a roguelike... the graphics are mostly ASCII, and there is a lot of dying and starting over... but I don't know that it fits in any other ways..

:P
Well, it's addictive in nature, it also has turn-based intricate gameplay, procedural generated environments, and deaths are (usually) permanent.
HypersomniacLive: Does this also apply to forum mafia, or would that be "lynch/kill a 100 times??
As with Ziggurat, if you jump, move and shoot enough in forum mafia, the win will eventually come to you.
yogsloth: I don't get what I'm supposed to be doing. I can't seem to hit anything. I just enter a room and get blown to pieces, and the game ends. I think this was five bucks I'd rather have back. I really wish there were at least some instructions someplace so I could see if I'm just missing something.
adaliabooks: It's a roguelike isn't it?
You'll probably need to die about 100 times before you really start improving...
I haven't played it myself though it's on my wishlist (never played a roguelike FPS before and it intrigues me) but I'm definitely a fan of roguelikes. Been playing ToME for about 8 months and I've only just started getting any good at that...
I'm not a big fan of roguelikes but ToME is soooo much fun and NEOScavenger looks awesome to me. The online guides for ToME that tell you what order to do zones in was crucial for me though. The idea of Ziggurat appealed to me at first but then I changed my mind. I should watch a little gameplay of it to get a truer idea of what it'd be like.
Sorry, really didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Don't worry, I won't give up yet, although I might commit heresy and change the difficulty to "easy".

And cristi had the best idea yet - I think that might help!
For me the big issue is the lack of feedback. 'Rogue Legacy' managed to make repeatedly dying actually part of the fun, and it was always clear where you'd screwed up.

Ziggurat, at least to me, just feels like a lot of stuff happening and other than jumping/kiting/strafing like crazy, I really only know if I've succeeded based on the outcome, not based on the action itself. Like cristi said about modern FPS, the basic action is dizzying if you aren't a hard-core FPS player.

And basic feedback things, like I did gain a level on my second run, but it wasn't at all clear if that gain was permanent or just tied to that run. I ran into a boss and did manage to survive for about 2 minutes, but between killing adds and dodging attacks, I probably only knocked off 10% of his health.
I've been playing "Thea: The Awakening", and that is sort of like a turn based strategy rogue-like. It pretty much ate my weekend. I have 27 hours played by Steam's clock, and I only bought it last Friday. >.>
Okay, I'm looking for some general feedback from everyone. I'm working on my setup and my brain is active and I'm simply wondering if the drawback to too many roles in a setup goes beyond complexity for the moderator to manage them all/if they conflict in their existence, or if in theory (I'm not actually trying to do this, it just occurred to me as a thought), it would be ideal or at least fun/interesting to have a setup where every single player had a role given that it all worked well together and didn't cause issues and was actually a fun+success as a game overall.

I guess what made me think of it is I was wondering if people get bored of playing Town Vanilla if they draw it a lot and if so, if there is an appeal for most players to have a role vs. not have a role, or if there are people who care or don't care, or, whatever, yeah, just a general interest in what everyone thinks about all of that, because, hey, I'm new to it all and my brain is a-spinning with thoughts about mafia while I work on mine.

Oo, also, I was wondering if there is a general average percent of roles with abilities to total players? 50% or less and once it goes above that it becomes hectic, or what?
Post edited November 26, 2015 by drealmer7
drealmer7: snip
Small piece of advice. Check what happens to your setup if role A is lynched on Day 1 or night killed on Night 1. Does the setup remain balanced, or was said role too important to it that it now heavily favors one side? Do the same for the rest of the roles.
Having an indispensable role for a team makes it almost certain that it will be the first casualty...
drealmer7: snip
JMich: Small piece of advice. Check what happens to your setup if role A is lynched on Day 1 or night killed on Night 1. Does the setup remain balanced, or was said role too important to it that it now heavily favors one side? Do the same for the rest of the roles.
Having an indispensable role for a team makes it almost certain that it will be the first casualty...
Yeah I of course have all of that in mind.

But thanks for making sure! Mafia is not too complex of a game overall as far as it goes, and I'm generally pretty good with rule-sets, and most of the interactions/permutations of possibilities I am just finding to be logical equations that affect each other and work out based on varying determining factors. If/then statements with exclusionary rules on occasion, etc. so, yearp, I think I'm all good.

That's why I'm wanting someone to take a look at my specific setup to tell me what they think, like I said before, with an open mind that I am probably going about things a differently than standard and may seem a bit more complex in parts and that may at first seem off-putting, but, I think it's okay.
Post edited November 26, 2015 by drealmer7
drealmer7: Okay, I'm looking for some general feedback from everyone. I'm working on my setup and my brain is active and I'm simply wondering if the drawback to too many roles in a setup goes beyond complexity for the moderator to manage them all/if they conflict in their existence, or if in theory (I'm not actually trying to do this, it just occurred to me as a thought), it would be ideal or at least fun/interesting to have a setup where every single player had a role given that it all worked well together and didn't cause issues and was actually a fun+success as a game overall.

I guess what made me think of it is I was wondering if people get bored of playing Town Vanilla if they draw it a lot and if so, if there is an appeal for most players to have a role vs. not have a role, or if there are people who care or don't care, or, whatever, yeah, just a general interest in what everyone thinks about all of that, because, hey, I'm new to it all and my brain is a-spinning with thoughts about mafia while I work on mine.

Oo, also, I was wondering if there is a general average percent of roles with abilities to total players? 50% or less and once it goes above that it becomes hectic, or what?
Lower power level means the game is easier to balance, and makes any faction less likely to be screwed over by the setup or a random, untimely death. In general, a well balanced game where all factions feel they had a valid chance of winning, will be perceived as a more fun game than a game with a crazy power level where everything feels random. Except for novelty.

Spreading power around, with several weaker roles rather than fewer stronger roles is a good way to prevent random fuckedovery. If you give Town a cop, and he dies N1, that's pretty bad for Town. If you give Town a tracker/watcher pair and one of them dies N1, the impact is smaller. However, you have to make sure you don't end up giving a faction more power in total. Do you consider a watcher/tracker pair stronger than a single cop? You'll have to make compensations elsewhere in your setup.

All games should have vanillas, if only so that vanilla is a valid false claim for Scum. While many players will prefer having some sort of role, if you actively dislike playing as vanilla, Mafia probably isn't the game for you.

For night actions, approaching them with a formal logic mind set is usually a good idea. Just make sure that you consider every possible dilemma, prior to the game starting, and that you treat all possible scenarios in a logically consistent way throughout.
Some roles are more likely to create tough decisions than others - roleblockers, redirectors and motivators, among others.
[Redirector] targets [Roleblocker], and redirects them to [Scum performing nightkill]. [Roleblocker]'s original target was [Redirector]. Does the nightkill go through?
[Vigilante] and [Scum] try to kill the same person, who is protected by the [Doctor]. Does the target live to see another day?
[Vigilante] and [Scum] try to kill the same person. There is a [Cop variant] in your game that only gets a positive if his target performed a kill that night. Will [Vigilante], [Scum], both or neither give a positive result?
A player is targeted by both [Framer] and [Naive cop]. What result does the cop get?
A [Framer] is redirected to frame his own [Godfather], who is also targeted by [Cop]. What result does the cop get?
Will players know when they have been roleblocked or redirected?

You have to make sure that you know the answer to any such question relevant to your setup, prior to the game starting. If you end up having to make stuff up on the fly, it's much too easy to end up trying to nudge things slightly.
Zchinque: ...
Yep yep, totally awesome, thanks for the feedback. I am definitely trying to consider everything and do have more spread-out powers than not. The setup I have, with 18 players, 9 of them have roles of varying power. I definitely want to finish typing all of the different roles up so I can have someone take a look at the actual things I have and how they interact. I have logics all worked out for the most part it seems, but of course there are probably things I'm neglecting to see. *works on it more*

Example: As I said one role I have only exists if there are a certain number of players in the game, if the player with that role dies while a certain number of other players are still alive, there is a mechanic in place to make it so that it is replaced, essentially (which is nothing new, like a sheriff or whatever passing on their badge scenario...though that's not what it is in MY setup, just the example for the point.) So it's a pretty powerful role but not overpowered because it doesn't act like that the whole game, but through to a certain point. I have a bunch of minor-medium roles and like 2 more powerful but not super-uber roles.
Post edited November 27, 2015 by drealmer7
Sage103082: Sage
Will you be able and willing to host game of mafia in the near future?

Bookwyrm627: Pamphletsnake
What about you?