It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's an aggressive model, so that's the most optimistic for them.

This would only happen if Valve does absolutely nothing against Epic, which we know isn't true. They're developing single player games and reinvesting efforts back into Steam and Steamworks.

Epic has already said before their BEP was 2027 for EGS in another optimistic scenario.

Either way, rooting for Epic. The more competition there is, the better the options for consumers.
Canuck_Cat: It's an aggressive model, so that's the most optimistic for them.

This would only happen if Valve does absolutely nothing against Epic, which we know isn't true. They're developing single player games and reinvesting efforts back into Steam and Steamworks.

Epic has already said before their BEP was 2027 for EGS in another optimistic scenario.

Either way, rooting for Epic. The more competition there is, the better the options for consumers.
No we want steam to sink. Steam charges more to steam loyalists digitally than the masses who buy packaged and delivered items. Steam also started banning everyone very hard for the last several years, while letting fanboys harass us off theplatform.
"That would be a huge success, considering estimates currently place Steam at roughly 75 percent of that market."

Stupid estimates again, probably from the same kinda people who put it at the same number, even before Steam gained millions of Chinese users thanks to PUBG being too incompetent to have their own client.
§pectre: Epics half broken client is still not working for people with the unsupported graphics card error. Why it would need gpu support for the client is strange.
Maybe they're mining cryptocurrency in the background, to pay for all those freebies... ;-)
Unfortunately, the promise of free stuff caught many in this spiral. And plenty of people put up with its shortcomings.
I do not care for Epic or their angle. I'm not particularly fond of Sweeney or Tencent either. Mind you, not because of their origin, but due to their practices. Also, they can shove their v-bucks where the sun don't shine.
Epic can think whatever they want, everybody has their wet dreams.
Post edited May 05, 2021 by patrikc
StingingVelvet: They still offer no reason to use their client other than exclusives and free games. If they want to reach those heights they need a reason to choose Epic over Steam or GOG, which they don't have as far as I can tell.
MysterD: They need to do a lot, to get me buying from them regularly.

To get me aboard the Epic train fully, here's some of what they need to do:

01. They're going to need to offer more $10 coupons and/or have better pricing regularly over Steam; Humble; Fanatical; and any other Digital Distributors and/or Bundle Sites.

02. More games go DRM-FREE entirely and not have a situation where Base-Game works offline-style without EGS going but the DLC gated behind requiring the client - hey, The Outer Worlds on Epic, I'm looking at you there; fix that on the DLC side.

03. More games work entirely offline like they do now w/ all DLC's without EGS Launcher running - good job, Control: Ultimate on Epic store.

04. A working offline mode and games to really support this more (since some SP-style games don't have access to work in its offline mode if they require EGS running in background)

05. More DRM-Free games for SP-style games like Shenmue 3 don't work offline there, as it doesn't work on Epic when not running EGS - you can boot the game, but it stays on a black screen.

06. User reviews, Activity Feed, and Community stuff allowed - like Steam does.

07. More Steam-like features - i.e. Remote Play Together; Big Picture Mode, Steam-Link style feature to send my EGS game over to my SamsungTV remotely; etc etc.

08. Cloud Server to send my Screenshots to over Epic, so gamers can see my progress and/or key moments in a game.

This probably ain't everything - but, here's a start. Epic, go take notes.
1. Epic Games will never get me to purchase video games from their Epic Games Store not even with $10 dollars (USD) coupons or $10 dollars (USD) cheaper video games selling on the Epic Games Store than on Steam.

2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 I 100% agree with though.

With all of that said I am sick of needing a Bethesda.net account, a Battle.net account, a Electronic Arts (EA) Origin account, a Rockstar Games Social Club account, a Ubisoft Connect account, and a SQUARE-ENIX account.

Way to many video games accounts and launchers to manage it is getting very annoying these days.

For me it is just gog.com and Steam and that is it.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: What do you think?
I'm rather indifferent. I have their client and I sometimes go to check if they offer any interesting free games (like last time I got Alien Isolation, which was nice I guess), but I have no opinion of their success, or lack there-of.

Well, maybe having them putting pressure on Steam is a good thing so that Valve has to be aware of the competition as well. I just hope GOG.com can survive the increased competition, but then at least I have my GOG games as DRM-free installers, in case it doesn't. Not sure how EGS tries to outdo Steam in the long run though, what do they have that Steam doesn't, besides the current surge of free games and paid timed exclusives?

The only store I might worry about (getting too powerful over the years) is the MS Store, as in the end they have the power to slowly push all the other Windows gaming stores, Steam and EGS and GOG included, to the sidetrack, if they are really determined to do so. Valve knows this, hence their strong reaction against Windows 8 back in the day (Windows 8 was where the MS Store was introduced), and their investments into Linux gaming.
Post edited May 05, 2021 by timppu
Canuck_Cat: Either way, rooting for Epic. The more competition there is, the better the options for consumers.
I'm all for competition, but not this kind of competition by Epic. In particular, Epic's exclusivity deals are restricting access to games which actually leads to worse options for customers. So I'm not at all a fan of Epic mostly for that reason.
Canuck_Cat: Either way, rooting for Epic. The more competition there is, the better the options for consumers.
SpikedWallMan: I'm all for competition, but not this kind of competition by Epic. In particular, Epic's exclusivity deals are restricting access to games which actually leads to worse options for customers. So I'm not at all a fan of Epic mostly for that reason.
Yeah, not like Steam doesn't have exclusivity deals, same with other gaming stores.
Arcadius-8606: Not to mention that many of their DRM FREE titles are being exported to torrents day one they go on there. That should give them a hint that ppl want the games but not the client.
Guess what, steam games that don't have denuvo get day-0 releases too. GoG games are all up on torrents / download sites. There is an entire world outside of your head, and most people aren't stupid enough to give a crap about which client they use... they just want to play the game.

After all, there are actually people who will buy games on steam that require ubisoft client or origin client or rockstar client. So hilariously enough the only thing that owning the game on steam gives you is the luxury of being able to open an external client using steam. Epic could probably sell their exclusives on steam (requiring the epic client) and people would buy them just because they're "on steam."
Merranvo: Guess what, steam games that don't have denuvo get day-0 releases too. GoG games are all up on torrents / download sites. There is an entire world outside of your head, and most people aren't stupid enough to give a crap about which client they use... they just want to play the game.
I don't get the head reference. I'm referring to their "timed exclusives" not all the the games that already have torrents up.

Merranvo: After all, there are actually people who will buy games on steam that require ubisoft client or origin client or rockstar client. So hilariously enough the only thing that owning the game on steam gives you is the luxury of being able to open an external client using steam. Epic could probably sell their exclusives on steam (requiring the epic client) and people would buy them just because they're "on steam."
I don't get where the Steam part came in as I did not reference them. I don't even use Steam, so no clue where this came from.
SpikedWallMan: I'm all for competition, but not this kind of competition by Epic. In particular, Epic's exclusivity deals are restricting access to games which actually leads to worse options for customers. So I'm not at all a fan of Epic mostly for that reason.
Lucumo: Yeah, not like Steam doesn't have exclusivity deals, same with other gaming stores.
As far as I know, Steam's "exclusives" are Valve's own games. Same with EA/Origin, Ubisoft/Connect, ActiBlizz/BNet, etc. But in that case, I'm OK with that because it's their own games and they can sell them wherever they choose. Epic, on the other hand, pays millions for exclusivity for games by other companies. This is a different situation because Epic is leveraging the power of their Fortnite money to restrict customer choice.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Cave Story+ was free a few months ago on Epic. I got it, but it literally wouldn't open. I had to reinstall it a couple of times because the client didn't want to download all the files apparently. I'd be more inclined to spend money on them if they focused on fixing their client.
Breja: You guys are way too rational about this. Marketing can convince people to almost anything, and with the money we know Epic is making on Fortnite they can buy marketing the likes of which we've never even seen. I'm not saying their success is a forgone conclusion, but it's definitely a possibilty.
Yes but what are they marketing for games not exclusive or given away? You need some client advantage to market (like DRM free here, which btw doesn't do much to move the needle). If simply marketing to Fortnite players made that big a difference they'd be a larger part of the market already.
SpikedWallMan: As far as I know, Steam's "exclusives" are Valve's own games.
No they aren't. Steam has tons and tons of exclusives that were not made by Valve, infinitely more than EGS has ever had.

SpikedWallMan: Epic's exclusivity deals are restricting access to games which actually leads to worse options for customers. So I'm not at all a fan of Epic mostly for that reason.
Steam's many exclusive games are also very bad for consumers, and also worse for consumers than EGS' exclusives, because Steam has way more exclusive games.

So it's a double standard to see EGS as being bad for having exclusives, yet a turn a blind eye to and/or think it's totally fine for many games to be exclusive to Steam instead (although that is exactly what most Steam fans do).
Post edited May 06, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon