It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Thanks, I've added Civ 6 (Under S for Sid Meier's...)
MarkoH01: Given the fact that Epic has by far not as many games as Steam or even GOG I think it would be a good idea in fact. This way people would know if games aren't on the list because they weren's tested or if they aren't on the list because they don't belong there.
teceem: I didn't mean any criticism by it - I just said it in the context of the conversation. ;-)
If you're adding DRM'ed games to the list; my recommendation would be to put them in a separate tab... (seems to me the least future-unwieldy option)
No problem, I don't mind criticism / feedback. :-) If people here feel that having an additional "confirmed DRM'd" list makes it easier to separate "not listed because DRM" from "not listed because it's untested", then I'll see about adding that as a separate tab.

Edit: OK, I've added it and populated the more obvious ones (like Ubisoft's) and I doubt it's complete but it's a start though.
Post edited May 21, 2020 by AB2012
Pyromancer138: Civilization 6 is DRM-free.
Beat me to it. :P
Exceed20XX: It also appears the DLC provided with it functions without client check-in.
Pyromancer138: Yep,It works like a charm.
Hopefully The Handsome Collection will also be DRM free.
Wait, am I missing something here? Is that the next suspected game or something?
Pyromancer138: Yep,It works like a charm.
Hopefully The Handsome Collection will also be DRM free.
Exceed20XX: Wait, am I missing something here? Is that the next suspected game or something?
Yes, there were leaks. After Borderlands ARK Survival Evolved will be given away.
I saw this from their store. Does it mean changes to how the games work without the client in the future?
Changes to Ownership Authorization
As part of our Self-Service Refunds initiative and to better support offline play, we are making changes to the way Epic Games Launcher checks the ownership of installed games.

This now occurs earlier in the launch process so players are informed if their account does not own an installed title that is being launched. If ownership does not pass this authorization check Error Code: LS-0021 will display the following:

This account does not have ownership of [game title]. If you wish to play this game, please purchase it in the store or log in with an account that does have ownership.

Special consideration was taken to try and provide an uninterrupted experience in cases of network instability or outages. For those instances, the Epic Games Store client keeps memory of owned titles, which it will automatically keep updated whenever players are online and signed-in. If for whatever reason it cannot reach our services, it will still allow the launch of the titles in this memory.

If you encounter Error Code: LS-0021, you can review this article for assistance: https://epic.gm/ls-002
Spectre: I saw this from their store. Does it mean changes to how the games work without the client in the future?
I don't know.... the text talks about the client checking the games it launches, not the other way around.
Spectre: I saw this from their store. Does it mean changes to how the games work without the client in the future?
This might be due to some earlier complaints gamers had on the platform.

Very early on some people claimed freebies (or they say they did): the client showed it was installed and it would launch, but when they uninstalled the game it disappeared from the library completely. So they hit social media like a vengeance and some issued support tickets over the matter.

So there are multiple possibilities of what was truly going on, from Epic faulting and loosing games tied to an account, to customers being mistaken and claimed the game originally on another Epic account but forgot, to customers claiming they own a freebie but got a copy from their friends, but ultimately the client wasn't checking ownership at launch at that time.

I'd say that's been fixed. If you launch from the client and don't own the installation. It's going to throw an error. This is facilitated by in part the .egstore tokens/cache data in the install dir and what is currently registered with the current account. If you launch the game from the exe and it uses the client API to contact the client it will depend on the game devs what happens. If you launch the game on a client-less system, again it will depend on what the devs have coded as to whether it alerts / depends on the client.

If you are asking whether all games will eventually be changed to using the API at launch (and thus requiring the client to run) then only time will tell. But Civilization VI just landed and isn't exhibiting client integration, so it's not something that's immediately enforceable. Remember that most other platforms have even a very few number of games which don't call the client for launch, so it's going to be interesting if Epic mandates all its catalogue to be client-integrated for authentication purposes.

In any case if this news disturbs you and you have client-free freebies in you account but don't have archived backups of their current state it might be a good time to rectify that.
Post edited May 22, 2020 by Braggadar
With all these technically DRM-free AAA games I really wonder what GOG has been up to all these years.
On GOG we're still waiting for Civ 5 and the Epic Store gives away Civ 6 for free and without any DRM, it seems like a joke.
Alexim: With all these technically DRM-free AAA games I really wonder what GOG has been up to all these years.
On GOG we're still waiting for Civ 5 and the Epic Store gives away Civ 6 for free and without any DRM, it seems like a joke.
I assume it's Epic's "Fortnite" money at play here, which obviously GOG doesn't have.
tfishell: I assume it's Epic's "Fortnite" money at play here, which obviously GOG doesn't have.
Yes, but it's not like Epic is paying them to make the games DRM free, or cares. Absolutely best case scenario is someone at Epic dislikes DRM so they made the optional client requirement default to no instead of yes. Still, the publisher could demand a client check like the Tetris guys did, they just don't.

Lack of GOG versions for games like Batman is probably more rooted in ambivalence than anything else. I think you're basically right, but Epic's paying them to care, more than paying them for DRM free.
tfishell: I assume it's Epic's "Fortnite" money at play here, which obviously GOG doesn't have.
StingingVelvet: Yes, but it's not like Epic is paying them to make the games DRM free, or cares. Absolutely best case scenario is someone at Epic dislikes DRM so they made the optional client requirement default to no instead of yes. Still, the publisher could demand a client check like the Tetris guys did, they just don't.

Lack of GOG versions for games like Batman is probably more rooted in ambivalence than anything else. I think you're basically right, but Epic's paying them to care, more than paying them for DRM free.
Sure. Maybe Epic just doesn't want the hassle of adding DRM or they (and the publisher) don't really care because the game's being given away for free anyway, and the publisher's making at least a lump sum and thanks to what is presumably a hefty chunk of change they don't care that Epic doesn't care about DRM on this title. :p GOG versions likely won't make enough for most "AAA" publishers to get enthused, but at least we're getting scraps.

Stuff like this still makes me question if DRM-free is really the biggest hold-up to GOG getting more "AAA" titles here, or if the bigger issue is the amount of money the average release makes.

edit: oh and 4444 rep too
Attachments:
4444rep.png (38 Kb)
Post edited May 22, 2020 by tfishell
StingingVelvet: Yes, but it's not like Epic is paying them to make the games DRM free, or cares. Absolutely best case scenario is someone at Epic dislikes DRM so they made the optional client requirement default to no instead of yes. Still, the publisher could demand a client check like the Tetris guys did, they just don't.

tfishell: Sure. Maybe Epic just doesn't want the hassle of adding DRM or they (and the publisher) don't really care because the game's being given away for free anyway, and the publisher's making at least a lump sum and thanks to what is presumably a hefty chunk of change they don't care that Epic doesn't care about DRM on this title. :p GOG versions likely won't make enough for most "AAA" publishers to get enthused, but at least we're getting scraps.

Stuff like this still makes me question if DRM-free is really the biggest hold-up to GOG getting more "AAA" titles here, or if the bigger issue is the amount of money the average release makes.

edit: oh and 4444 rep too
At this point I also think that the issue of DRM-free is a secondary problem, but as always it's only a money issue. Otherwise on GOG we would have the Batman Arkham and Civ 5 games long ago.
MarkoH01: Sorry to bother you again but do you know if the DLC is DRM-free as well?
I would of thought so, but I can't be sure as despite owning the DLC for it I've not played it enough on PC to get that far.
high rated
tfishell: Stuff like this still makes me question if DRM-free is really the biggest hold-up to GOG getting more "AAA" titles here, or if the bigger issue is the amount of money the average release makes.
I think DRM free is why GOG doesn't get a lot of stuff day one, and I think ambivalence is the reason they don't get a lot of stuff after a year or so.
Braggadar: This might be due to some earlier complaints gamers had on the platform.

Very early on some people claimed freebies (or they say they did): the client showed it was installed and it would launch, but when they uninstalled the game it disappeared from the library completely. So they hit social media like a vengeance and some issued support tickets over the matter.
Ironically that what happened to some regular free games in Steam.