It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

karnak1: Most likely a mix of market saturation (just look at the number of "games" that are launched on Steam every day) + an enormous drop of the demands/expectations of the average gamer.
Trilarion: Okay, you mean the customers are just blindly throwing money at the video game producers so that they do not need to deliver high quality products any more. Could be...
Problem is that those sports games have been pretty much auto-buy for decades, let's stop pretending this is new. EA mastered this formula late in the SNES/Genesis era (which is why there's so many of them around to be used as donor carts for reproductions).

Like many people here, I've been playing games for a good long time, around 30 years, and the fact is that there were FEW games that stood the test of time. For every Mario, there were ten Bubsies, for every Street Fighter, ten TUFF E NUFFs. No one remembers the shit from the old day, and I suspect the kids of today (or us when we're in our sixties) will not remember tripe like Sea of Thieves or Fallout 76.
Screamshield: This is not competition. This is pseudo-console(client) exclusives on PC. For the clients to be competing you'd need for all games to be on all clients. If this happens you'll have GOG that stands out with its optional client and its DRM free games on one side and a bunch of DRM clients on the other side. I mean we already have that. I personally don't plan on installing a brand spanking new DRM client on my PC. For me this EPIC sham is dead in the water.
firstpastthepost: This is the future of digital distribution, it started out promising but it's quickly becoming terrible. Look at video streaming as an example. Started out good with Netflix, now companies are trying to get greedy and cut out distributors and create streaming platforms for only the content they own. Soon you'll need a hundred streaming services to be able to watch the content you used to be able to get with Netflix. Gaming distribution has been going the same way. It's only going to get worse, just wait till they're streaming games and you need a subscription for each publisher instead of a free client and account.
This is why I don't worry much for the future of physical games on console. Let's face it, there's only going to be so many companies that can SUPPORT this nonsense, let alone the issues with streaming games (lag, data caps, etc). Greed will eventually kill digital distribution, as it has killed many a great thing, because people aren't made of money. No one's going to pay 100/month between all these fucking services.
RawSteelUT: ...the fact is that there were FEW games that stood the test of time...
I agree, but there is this long-running trend of ever fewer released bigger games per year (from thousands per year in the late 90s to a few hundred nowadays), presumably because of higher production costs and if one assumes that the percentage of games that will stand the test of time successfully stays the same, then because of the lower number of released games to start with (except for Indies, maybe some of them will become classics) we might end up with a lower number of truly great games now than in the past. We obviously have to wait a bit to see how the future regards the games from today but it doesn't look good.

The question would basically be which games from the last three years we think might still be played in 15 years and compare that with the number of games from 15 years ago that we still play now.
Post edited December 12, 2018 by Trilarion
RawSteelUT: ...the fact is that there were FEW games that stood the test of time...
Trilarion: I agree, but there is this long-running trend of ever fewer released bigger games per year (from thousands per year in the late 90s to a few hundred nowadays), presumably because of higher production costs and if one assumes that the percentage of games that will stand the test of time successfully stays the same, then because of the lower number of released games to start with (except for Indies, maybe some of them will become classics) we might end up with a lower number of truly great games now than in the past. We obviously have to wait a bit to see how the future regards the games from today but it doesn't look good.

The question would basically be which games from the last three years we think might still be played in 15 years and compare that with the number of games from 15 years ago that we still play now.
Well, the big releases are certainly drying up due to stag atiob, there's still plenty coming out from mid-tier and small developers, and the apparent ascendency of THQ Nordic can only be a good thing. There are ebbs and flows to everything.
Too many stores.

Beware of some of them disappear, not good. I am not going to support them beyond the games I already own there (like Fortnite)
Epic games is already in trouble. Apparently Fortnite has already pissed off the Chinese government. Given that the owners of Epic Games is a Chinese company this does not bode well for the Epic Store.

https://www.keengamer.com/article/20613_pubg-and-fortnite-just-got-banned-by-the-chinese-government
Chinese gamers have to play something. You cannot just ban everything. But it's an interesting development. One has to wait and see what happens.
A dictatorship censoring media? Not exactly a surprise. It's not like Epic Games did anything out of the ordinary. They are banning games for "reasons" such as "blood and gore" or "overly revealing female characters".
ConsulCaesar: A dictatorship censoring media? Not exactly a surprise. It's not like Epic Games did anything out of the ordinary. They are banning games for "reasons" such as "blood and gore" or "overly revealing female characters".
As well as “inharmonious chatroom” or “game visuals [that] promote incorrect values”.

So, does it mean the Witcher series is not available in China?

I suddenly feel so harmonious especially when correct values are promoted to me.
Post edited December 13, 2018 by Trilarion
First problems with the Epic Store raise there head.

It seams Epic has a VERY vague user agreement where they basically give themselves the right to sell user information to "sister companies" cough'Tencent'cough without the possibility of the user to decline.

YongYea video on the mater:
https://youtu.be/6WZ1RW8Ongk
Also, this.

Epic may update the Software remotely without notifying you, and you hereby consent to Epic applying patches, updates, and upgrades.
Forced updates without notifying you ? Even Steam has a visual notifier, and you can delay or queue updates.
Epic is a store to get FREE games from, but not to BUY games from. Read this in the EULA I was asked to sign before getting the free Subnautica game:

"Epic may update the Software remotely without notifying you, and you hereby consent to Epic applying patches, updates, and upgrades. Epic may modify, suspend, discontinue, substitute, replace, or limit your access to any aspect of the Software or Services at any time. You acknowledge that your use of the Software or Services does not confer on you any interest, monetary or otherwise, in any aspect or feature of the Software or Services, including but not limited to any in-game rewards, achievements, character levels. You also acknowledge that any character data, game progress, game customization or other data related to your use of the Software or Services may cease to be available to you at any time without notice from Epic, including without limitation after a patch, update, or upgrade is applied by Epic. Epic does not have any maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services."

emphasis mine.
Post edited December 14, 2018 by DubConqueror
DubConqueror: snip
Doesn't sound much different than any other "cover your ass" client-EULA. *shrug* I might care if those things ever prove to be legally enforceable, which none have so far. In some way I think they exist mainly to appease company lawyers and shareholders only.
Post edited December 14, 2018 by Mr.Mumbles
high rated
By the way: after the latest build the then DRM-free Subnautica now needs the client to run. So it's no alternative to GOG.
Post edited January 03, 2019 by MarkoH01
DubConqueror: Epic is a store to get FREE games from, but not to BUY games from. Read this in the EULA I was asked to sign before getting the free Subnautica game:

"Epic may update the Software remotely without notifying you, and you hereby consent to Epic applying patches, updates, and upgrades. Epic may modify, suspend, discontinue, substitute, replace, or limit your access to any aspect of the Software or Services at any time. You acknowledge that your use of the Software or Services does not confer on you any interest, monetary or otherwise, in any aspect or feature of the Software or Services, including but not limited to any in-game rewards, achievements, character levels. You also acknowledge that any character data, game progress, game customization or other data related to your use of the Software or Services may cease to be available to you at any time without notice from Epic, including without limitation after a patch, update, or upgrade is applied by Epic. Epic does not have any maintenance or support obligations with respect to the Software or Services."

emphasis mine.
Like steam, EA, uplay or MS store. It's the same.