It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II remain cult classics not only among D&D fans, but cRPG gamers in general. With countless hours of gameplay, captivating stories, colorful characters, and many memorable locations they're one of the most intense and extensive role-playing experiences you can get while sitting in front of your PC. But to say that they didn't age at all might be a bit of a stretch. That's why some people would go a great distance modding and upgrading both those titles to combine them into one, seamless, visually updated game--an enhanced edition, if you will.

We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate. It's very nearly hassle-free and (especially with the sale going on) it won't cost you much at all. There's one catch, though: you need copies of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 in order to enhance your game. Let's see how! One of our users, GoJays2025, committed his time to write a comprehensive guide on the topic. We know not all of you dare to venture into our forums, so we thought that sharing this guide here, might be a good idea!

So, are you ready to enhance your GOG.com edition of Baldur's Gate saga and play both games as one, seamless adventure with the visually superior BG2 version of the engine and its updated mechanics, and with high-res graphics better suited for your modern wide-screen display? Here's how you do it, according to GoJays2025!

1. Fully install Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
2. Fully install Baldur's Gate II Complete.
3. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
4. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
5. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
6. Download BGT-WeiDU and extract it in your Baldur's Gate II directory.
7. Run the newly extracted Setup-BGT.exe and follow the instructions. You may need to run it in administrative mode in Windows Vista/7.
8. Enter Baldur's Gate I's directory when asked (if not already provided)
9. Wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
10. OPTIONAL: Download and install Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business as well as BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need them, and they do add new content, they're pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time.
11. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.)
12. Go to your Baldur's Gate II directory, then find and run the file Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select 'Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music'. This makes it possible to hear the original Baldur's Gate music when playing Baldur's Gate I.
13. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack (if this link doesn't work, please try the emergency mirror site) and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.
14. OPTIONAL: Download and install the Bigger Fonts for BGII mod if you plan to play in really high-res and don't want to strain your eyes reading tiny text.
15. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
16. Remove the Baldur's Gate I installation if you wish - it's done its job!

Now you should be able to play the game all the way from Baldur's Gate I to the end of Throne of Bhaal in one continuous game! Enjoy!

Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:Games should work.

The original forum thread, that also includes some other installation options, can be found here:
Baldur's Gate saga essential mods by GoJays2025
FabMan: Ahem:
You're arguing with a troll and it's derailing the thread.
FabMan: Ahem:
Spinorial: You're arguing with a troll and it's derailing the thread.
Good point, I'll stop.

I do use the Baldur's Gate mods but I haven't in a while. Noticed that they released some updates this year, nothing worth replaying over yet.
FabMan: I do use the Baldur's Gate mods but I haven't in a while. Noticed that they released some updates this year, nothing worth replaying over yet.
They're mostly added translations and residual bugfixes. If your stuff works, you're good to go :-)
Hello,
I did as described in the post.
I'm playing BG1 and the game crashes when I try to identify Osprey Magic Missile Wand in the illusionist practice combat.

The error message is:
An assertion failed in ChVidImage3d.cpp at line number 629 Programmer says: CVidcell larger then fx.

Update:
It was a resolution problem. Already correct it.
Post edited August 18, 2013 by binn05
Baldur's gate 2 Complete Mod Installation By fofa2000, with Akarnir Seal of Approval:

Here is the list of mod that you must install, preferably in this order: In order to make it work in Multiplayer, be extremely careful to all install the mods the exact same way, or there will be compatibility issues.
rememember to install it that way:

BG2 Fix pack-
BG2 unfinished business-
BG2 ascension-
BG2 tweak pack-
BG2 scs ii
BG 2rogue rebalancing mod-

Fixpack:

When you install the fix pack Display the optional but cool components.
For the Essential components Install:
BG2 Core fixes
GTU Classic
Do not install the beta core fixes.

For the optionnal changes: (optional but cool) pick:
Keldorn reconcile with maria,
improved spell animation,
cromswell forging takes 1 day.
Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers and Stalkers
Additional Alignment Fixes
Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks
Bard Song Fixes
Additional Script Fixes
Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior

Unfinished Business:

Install everything

Ascension:

Install everything

BG2 Tweak Pack: YES means Install, No means skip. If a multiple choice is given, the answer will be specified.

Here is the list of what to install and what not to install: ONLY INSTALL THOSE:

Weapon Animation Tweaks:YES
Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr):YES
Restore SoA Load Screen Logo:YES
Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon): YES
Force All Dialogue to Pause: YES
Fix Boo's Squeak: YES
Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues: YES
Improved Athkatlan City Guard (Andyr):YES
Improved Kick-out Dialogues (Weimer):YES
Stores Sell Larger Stacks of Items:YES
Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer):YES
Multiple Strongholds (Sabre, Baldurdash, Weimer): YES NO Class RESTRICTION
Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash, Weimer): Yes
Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items:YES
Universal Clubs: YES
Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component: YES
Weapon Styles for All: YES
Change Experience Point Cap: REMOVED XP CAP
Expanded Dual-Class Options: YES
Wear Multiple Protection Items: YES (no restriction)
Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level: YES
Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer): YES
True Grand Mastery (Schumacher, Weimer): YES
Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table: YES
Higher HP on Level Up: YES MAXIMUM
Maximum HP Creatures (the bigg): YES
Easy Spell Learning: YES 100% learn chance
Bottomless Bags of Holding: YES
Remove Fatigue from Restoration Spells: YES
Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices: YES FOR LOW REPUTATION DISCOUNT (option 1)
Unlimited Ammo Stacks: YES
Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks : YES
Unlimited Potion Stacks: YES
Unlimited Scroll Stacks: YES
Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell (Weimer): YES
ToB-Style NPCs: YES

BG2 SCS II: Same as the Tweak pack:

CORE COMPONENT: YES

Spell Tweaks:

These components make rather minor alterations to the spells in the game, usually in the interest of game balance or consistency. All changes are fully documented in the spell descriptions themselves. Note that while all these components are optional, many of the tactical choices made by wizards and priests in SCS II assume that they are installed, so you may notice some slight anomalies in enemy behaviour if you don't install them all.

Allow Spellstrike to take down a Protection from Magic scroll: YES
More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning: YES
Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility: YES, option 1
Iron Skins behaves like Stoneskin (can be brought down by Breach) YES
Modify the Harm spell so it does damage rather than reducing target to 1 hp: NO
Make individual versions of Spell Immunity available, so that players can use them in Contingencies etc: YES
Revert Greater Restoration back to only affecting one creature: NO
Blade Barrier and Globe of Blades only affect hostile creatures: YES
Cap damage done by Skull Trap at 12d6: NO
Make Power Word: Blind a single-target spell: NO
Make Minute Meteors into +2 weapons: NO
Reduce the power of Inquisitors' Dispel Magic: NO
Slightly reduce the power of Insect Plague spells (and the like) and let Fire Shields block them: NO
Cosmetic change: stop Stoneskins from changing the caster's colour: NO
Slightly increase the power of Mantle, Improved Mantle, and Absolute Immunity: YES
Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages: YES
Add extra spell scrolls for hard-to-find spells: YES
Give True Sight the ability to prevent magical blindness: YES
Prevent clones made by the Simulacrum and Project Image spells from using their magic items: YES

Item Tweaks

These components remove, move or tone down the powers of a small number of magic items. It's not at all systematic (there are mods out there which go through almost all the items in the game and reduce their powers) but it reduces the extent to which a party can coast by on a few über-items.

Remove the Shield of Balduran from the game: NO
Remove the invisibility power of the Staff of the Magi: NO
Move Vhailor's Helm into Throne of Bhaal: NO
Move the Cloak of Mirroring into Throne of Bhaal: NO
Move the Robe of Vecna into Throne of Bhaal: NO
Replace +1 magical weapons with Fine ones: NO
Remove Arrows of Dispelling from stores: NO
Make the Healing and Resurrection powers of the Rod of Resurrection into separate powers:NO
Change Carsomyr so that its dispel-on-contact power grants a saving throw:NO

Gameplay Tweaks

These components could equally well be called "miscellaneous tweaks".

Randomly change the locations of many in-game items: NO
Remove unrealistically helpful items from certain area: NO
Remove unrealistically convenient ammunition from the game: NO
Faster bears: YES
Grant large, flying, non-solid or similar creatures immunity to Web and Entangle NO
Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla: YES
Increase the price of a licence to practice magic in Athkatla: NO
Increase the price asked by Gaylan Baele: NO
Make Freedom scrolls available earlier: NO
Make Watchers' Keep accessible between SoA and ToB: NO
Recover lost items from Hell: YES
Improved shapeshifting: NO (it already appears in the tweak pack)
Prevent party members from dying irreversibly: YES
Randomize the maze in Watcher's Keep: NO
Customize access to strongholds: NO
Delay the arrival of the "bonus merchants" in the Adventurers' Mart and the Copper Coronet: NO
Reduce the rate of reputation gain: NO
Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells: YES

Cosmetic and ease-of-use tweaks

Ease-of-use party AI: NO
Remove animation from the Cloak of Mirroring (leave it for other spells and effects that use the same graphic):NO
Move Boo into Minsc's pack: NO
Remove blur effect from the Displacer Cloak: NO

AI enhancements

Smarter general AI : YES
Better calls for help: YES
More sensible choices of weapon proficiencies and kits for fighters: YES
Potions for NPCs: NO (we dont want enemies using potions)
Improved Spiders:YES
Improved Golems: YES
Increased Staying Power for Fiends: YES
Improved Fiends: YES, Cast spells like normal wizards
Smarter Genies: YES, normal wizards
Increased Staying Power for Celestials: YES
Smarter Celestials: YES normal wizards
Increased Staying Power for Dragons: YES
Systematise Dragon Immunities: YES
Smarter Dragons: YES Normal wizards
Enemy spellcasters use Simulacrum and Project Image spells: NO
Smarter Beholders: YES OPTION 3
Smarter mind flayers: YES option 1
Improved vampires: YES
Smarter Githyanki: YES
Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB mages: NO
Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA mages: NO
Smarter mages: YES, OPTION 3
Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to ToB priests: NO
Add high-level abilities (HLAs) to SoA priests:NO
Smarter Priests: YES option 3
Smarter Illasera: YES
Smarter Yaga-Shura :YES
Smarter Abazigal: YES
Smarter Gromnir: YES
Smarter Melissan: YES
Ascension demons use SCS II style abilities and AI YES
Ascension versions of Irenicus and Sendai use SCS II style AI YES

Tactical challenges

Make the starting dungeon slightly harder YES
Improved Shade Lord YES
Spellcasting Demiliches YES
More Resilient Trolls YES
Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings: YES OPTION 1
Improved Random Encounters: YES
Improved D'Arnise Keep: YES OPTION 1
Improved Faldorn: YES
Improved Unseeing Eye: YES
Improved Bodhi (Tactics remix): YES OPTION 1
Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold: NO
Improved fight with Irenicus in Spellhold: YES
Improved Sahuagin: YES
Improved Beholder Hive: YES
Prevent Resting in the Illithid City: NO
Slightly Improved Drow: YES, Option 2
Improved Watcher's Keep: YES
Improved Battle with Irenicus in Hell: NO (apparently Irenicus is just unbeatable, its a copy of the tactic mod)
Improved Fire Giant Temple: YES
Improved Sendai's Enclave: YES
Improved Abazigal's Lair: YES
Improved minor encounters: YES

BG 2rogue rebalancing mod:

Install everything
Revised Thievery: Option 2
Post edited September 19, 2013 by fofa2000
I just wanted to thank you for all these great suggestions and help. But I have a question. When I install BGT and merge both BG1 and BG2 with all the needed mods, then which file should I run to play the Baldur's gate trilogy? BG2 executable file? When I run it the main screen shows Baldur's Gate 2 but it gives me two options to choose between playing BG1 or BG2 or BG2 expansion. It is a bit confusing for me. Is there any executable BGT file which you can run and instead of BG2 screen shows BGT screen with two options between BG1 and BG2?

I think on youtube I have seen an old video which showed perhaps the older version of BGT that had this BGT screen instead of BG2 welcome Screen.

Thanks
Silenceborn: I just wanted to thank you for all these great suggestions and help. But I have a question. When I install BGT and merge both BG1 and BG2 with all the needed mods, then which file should I run to play the Baldur's gate trilogy? BG2 executable file? When I run it the main screen shows Baldur's Gate 2 but it gives me two options to choose between playing BG1 or BG2 or BG2 expansion. It is a bit confusing for me. Is there any executable BGT file which you can run and instead of BG2 screen shows BGT screen with two options between BG1 and BG2?

I think on youtube I have seen an old video which showed perhaps the older version of BGT that had this BGT screen instead of BG2 welcome Screen.

Thanks
I followed this original post and it ends by saying "you can delete the BG1 installation" (as it's copied into BG2 to use the new engine by means of the BGT-WeiDU.

Playing all the way through at that point means starting up BG2 and going from there. The transition between BG1 and BG2 will be "clear" in-game as per the readme (extra scripted scene)

Hope that helps
The official BG1 EE seem to have been pulled from sale for legal issue - except for the Steam release (you can also get it 75% cheaper until Thursday)]The official BG1 EE seem to have been pulled from sale for legal issue - except for the Steam release (you can also get it 75% cheaper until Thursday)
According to the steam news the legal troubles have been cleared now and the extended version will get a patch in the nearer future.
You know those web pages you find that change your life forever? Yeah... this was one of those.

The Baldur's Gate Trilogy is my favorite computer game of all time... but I've never managed to finish it because of its epic scope. Now I have every reason I'd need to go back and try again, starting from level one.

Installed all the non-optional mods, plus the sound. Didn't install the tweeks (mixed bag of advantages and disadvantages in my mind) or the extra content. Everything I did install seems to work great!

For those who haven't fired up BG in a while and follow this tutorial, be sure to set your colors to max once you start the game, or it might not behave correctly. (flickering, bad framerate, etc. )

Thanks for putting this up!
I've just completed the trilogy for the first time, and wow! Since this thread's been bumped anyway, Thanks to this thread and the original, I was motivated to try the game again: and I'm really, really happy I did! Still somewhat in shock over it ending, so I'll just say...wow, that game was breathtaking! Thanks, GoJays2025, and GOG!
Post edited November 24, 2013 by pi4t
Hi, I've just installed all the things on the GOG.com list, with the exception of the two "Unfinished Business" packs. Could I install those packs now? Or would that break the game?
Love this add on! Except for two things:

1. I notice the fog of war tends to flicker when walking through the landscapes. It's not a huge deal, but it's a little annoying. Is there a way to fix this without needing to screw up my whole modding system?

Edit: Just saw kempowest's suggestion. I'll check and be sure I'm running the game with 32 bit color. If I'm not, then maybe setting it to this quality will fix the problem.

2. This is something that just personally bugs me a little: Some of the BG1 music is missing, such as the day/night town music. I never really liked the two daytime town themes, but I always liked the haunting yet calming music that would play when exploring a town at night. It's sad that it was inexplicably replaced by the rather weird night time music you hear when in the city of Baldur's Gate. It really doesn't fit towns like Beregost or The Friendly Arm. Is there a way I could implement the original "Night In Beregost" theme into the game, or am I out of luck?
Post edited December 09, 2013 by martyD82
martyD82: It really doesn't fit towns like Beregost or The Friendly Arm. Is there a way I could implement the original "Night In Beregost" theme into the game, or am I out of luck?
I don't know the file names, but I'd imagine if you can find the original music file, you can just rename it to the one that currently plays and replace the current file with the renamed one in the music folder.
martyD82: It really doesn't fit towns like Beregost or The Friendly Arm. Is there a way I could implement the original "Night In Beregost" theme into the game, or am I out of luck?
Coelocanth: I don't know the file names, but I'd imagine if you can find the original music file, you can just rename it to the one that currently plays and replace the current file with the renamed one in the music folder.
I was thinking the same thing, actually. I'll play with it a little and see what I can do. Maybe there's a site where I can download some of the original music themes and plug them back into the game?

Also, if I remember correctly, I did the "hybrid BG1/BG2 music" install. I knew it would work some of BG2's music into BG1, but I didn't know it also deleted some of BG1's music tracks (unless maybe the music I'm thinking of shows up at a later time in the game).
martyD82: I was thinking the same thing, actually. I'll play with it a little and see what I can do. Maybe there's a site where I can download some of the original music themes and plug them back into the game?

Also, if I remember correctly, I did the "hybrid BG1/BG2 music" install. I knew it would work some of BG2's music into BG1, but I didn't know it also deleted some of BG1's music tracks (unless maybe the music I'm thinking of shows up at a later time in the game).
If you didn't delete your original BG1 install, the files should be in there. If you did, then I'm not sure about finding the music. Probably can track it down somewhere, but a quick google search on my part didn't turn it up yet.