It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II remain cult classics not only among D&D fans, but cRPG gamers in general. With countless hours of gameplay, captivating stories, colorful characters, and many memorable locations they're one of the most intense and extensive role-playing experiences you can get while sitting in front of your PC. But to say that they didn't age at all might be a bit of a stretch. That's why some people would go a great distance modding and upgrading both those titles to combine them into one, seamless, visually updated game--an enhanced edition, if you will.

We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate. It's very nearly hassle-free and (especially with the sale going on) it won't cost you much at all. There's one catch, though: you need copies of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 in order to enhance your game. Let's see how! One of our users, GoJays2025, committed his time to write a comprehensive guide on the topic. We know not all of you dare to venture into our forums, so we thought that sharing this guide here, might be a good idea!

So, are you ready to enhance your GOG.com edition of Baldur's Gate saga and play both games as one, seamless adventure with the visually superior BG2 version of the engine and its updated mechanics, and with high-res graphics better suited for your modern wide-screen display? Here's how you do it, according to GoJays2025!

1. Fully install Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga
2. Fully install Baldur's Gate II Complete.
3. Download Baldur's Gate II Fixpack (Download links are on the left side) and extract it to your Baldur's Gate II directory.
4. Run the newly extracted setup-bg2fixpack.exe (if not automatically started).
5. It is safe to select yes for all the optional fixes, but if you want to learn about each in detail, consult the readme file that comes with the fixpack.
6. Download BGT-WeiDU and extract it in your Baldur's Gate II directory.
7. Run the newly extracted Setup-BGT.exe and follow the instructions. You may need to run it in administrative mode in Windows Vista/7.
8. Enter Baldur's Gate I's directory when asked (if not already provided)
9. Wait for BGT-WeiDU to finish installing.
10. OPTIONAL: Download and install Baldur's Gate 1 Unfinished Business as well as BG 2 Unfinished Business. These mods restore things that were previously cut from the released product, so while you don't need them, and they do add new content, they're pretty nice to have, especially if this is not your first time.
11. OPTIONAL: Download and install any user-created material (banter packs, expansion mods, new NPCs, etc.)
12. Go to your Baldur's Gate II directory, then find and run the file Setup-BGTMusic.exe and select 'Hybrid Baldur’s Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal music'. This makes it possible to hear the original Baldur's Gate music when playing Baldur's Gate I.
13. OPTIONAL: (for more experienced users) Download Baldur's Gate II Tweak Pack (if this link doesn't work, please try the emergency mirror site) and apply it in the same way as the fixpack. Consult the readme file for details of each tweak - too many to list here. If you don't know what a tweak does even after consulting the readme, just skip it.
14. OPTIONAL: Download and install the Bigger Fonts for BGII mod if you plan to play in really high-res and don't want to strain your eyes reading tiny text.
15. Download the widescreen mod and apply it in the same manner as the fixpack. This makes it possible to play the game in high resolutions and in widescreen format.
16. Remove the Baldur's Gate I installation if you wish - it's done its job!

Now you should be able to play the game all the way from Baldur's Gate I to the end of Throne of Bhaal in one continuous game! Enjoy!

Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:Games should work.

The original forum thread, that also includes some other installation options, can be found here:
Baldur's Gate saga essential mods by GoJays2025
SirEyeball: so of the 2 options when starting a new game in baldursgate 2 I shall choose Baldurs Gate(there is no option to choose baldurs gate 1) instead of Throne of Baal ?
ShaolinsKunk: Yeah that'd be the one, I was a bit confused by it at first as well
thanks it did not make much sense to me
Waiting for Baldur's Gate to come on sale (along with all the other DnD games!!). Was stupid and didn't buy them all a month ago during the sale. Will try this out as soon as I nab 'em!
What does this do to Imoen? if memory serves she was a thief in BG1 and a dualclass thief/wizard in BG2...
So, can I play BG1 coop with my friend with this setup? I noticed the BG2 bugfix's readme mentions something about not being compatible with tutu. Do I not need tutu to play on lan? Or if we both do the exact seup can we himatchi\gameranger?
GOG.com: [i]Note: If you're on Windows 7 you might want to install the games in a directory other than C:Program Files or C:Program Files (x86) to avoid potential problems. C:Games should work.
Damn you GOG for putting this note at the end of the tutorial! This should come in item 1, oh fuck, here I go install all 5GB+ worth of stuff over again.
RafaelLopez: Damn you GOG for putting this note at the end of the tutorial! This should come in item 1, oh fuck, here I go install all 5GB+ worth of stuff over again.
If I were you, I wouldn't install any games to Program Files/Program Files (x86) on Windows 7, the file permission system is truly bizarre, I've even heard about it screwing up save-games for some GOG games that run through DOSBox.
Post edited June 07, 2013 by Crosmando
RafaelLopez: Damn you GOG for putting this note at the end of the tutorial! This should come in item 1, oh fuck, here I go install all 5GB+ worth of stuff over again.
You could alternatively just modify the permissions for the Program Files (x86)\GOG.com folder to give you full control over it, thus negating all problems that arise from the user limitations. That is what I had done before, and never had any trouble.
JMich: You could alternatively just modify the permissions for the Program Files (x86)\GOG.com folder to give you full control over it, thus negating all problems that arise from the user limitations. That is what I had done before, and never had any trouble.
OR the note could come in item 1!

What you said makes sense, because many old games do have a hard time in c:\Program Files (and even new ones when modding), but I don't know how to do that. Now I already did it all over.

I'd also add to the tutorial that BG1 Unfinished Business has to be added to the BG2 folder. Sure, everything here is supposed to be installed to BG2, but that's not stated anywhere, I just followed intuition.
Hi,

Should i install Baldur's Gate II Fixpack v10 with or without Beta core fixes?
Post edited June 09, 2013 by vilkort
KrisPC: What does this do to Imoen? if memory serves she was a thief in BG1 and a dualclass thief/wizard in BG2...
You can dual class her manually or keep her pure thief - doesn't make much sense when battling Irenicus nor with ToB ending story but hey, it's your call. IIRC BG1NPC mod does actually contain a plot in which Imoen mage transition is explained quite nice.

Foreman158: So, can I play BG1 coop with my friend with this setup? I noticed the BG2 bugfix's readme mentions something about not being compatible with tutu. Do I not need tutu to play on lan? Or if we both do the exact seup can we himatchi\gameranger?
Yes you can but you have to have exactly the same game version and mods installed exactly in the same order. Tutu is yet another attempt to bring BG1 content into BG2 engine (but only that - it just replaces BG2 story with BG1 story), it is in many ways inferior to recent BGT but mods are still made to be compatible with it. You don't have to worry about that.
Have to try this out... after I play around a bit with Baldur's Gate Reloaded. I'm glad I've bought the entire D&D pack here... no more hassle with discs :D.
WOOHOOO!!!! FINALLY I can play my all time favorite game!!!

Edit: I'd like to add I wasted countless hours, spent in frustration, trying to get every version of this game I had running in VBox and spent too much money on a version that had almost as many bugs as the original discs. THANK YOU GOG!
Post edited June 16, 2013 by GeneFord
I Have Just Started playing computer games and have never played the dungeon and dragon games. so im trying to enhance Baldurs gate and when I go to to download BGT - WeiDU all I get is a rar file. do I need to open it? I have placed it in the directory. I dunno. is it even worth it? this is my first comp. do I have to buy a rar file software? LOL.
TheJayDaB: I Have Just Started playing computer games and have never played the dungeon and dragon games. so im trying to enhance Baldurs gate and when I go to to download BGT - WeiDU all I get is a rar file. do I need to open it? I have placed it in the directory. I dunno. is it even worth it? this is my first comp. do I have to buy a rar file software? LOL.
Rar is an archive, much like zip and 7z. (40 days trial version) and [url=http://7-zip.org/]7-zip (freeware) should be able to open it and extract it. It should have a readme in it with installation instructions.
TheJayDaB: I Have Just Started playing computer games and have never played the dungeon and dragon games. so im trying to enhance Baldurs gate and when I go to to download BGT - WeiDU all I get is a rar file. do I need to open it? I have placed it in the directory. I dunno. is it even worth it? this is my first comp. do I have to buy a rar file software? LOL.
JMich: Rar is an archive, much like zip and 7z. (40 days trial version) and [url=http://7-zip.org/]7-zip (freeware) should be able to open it and extract it. It should have a readme in it with installation instructions.
Thanks Man! Im A Newb For Sure.