It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

cat333pokemon: Wingspan requires GOG Galaxy to play multiplayer. Single-player is fully playable using the offline installer. This requirement is not listed on the store page.
Confirmed. Which is odd because its Internet multiplayer goes through another service too? (I believe it's cross-platform.) Wingspan does have hotseat multiplayer, I want to note, though.
Post edited October 03, 2021 by mqstout
high rated
Lifthrasil: [Multiplayer]

A list of multiplayer games with DRM will get very, very long. After all GOG likes to pretend that DRM is 'necessary for multiplayer!'
Perhaps it would be easier to compile a list of Mutliplayergames without DRM? Let me know what you think. I can compile a list of the multiplayer DRM offenders here too. In any case, I'll start with the worst offender. For the rest, I'll require your input since I don't play multiplayer games myself.
Yeah, pure industry bs here.

I think there is less pushback about this for two reasons:
- Only a subset of the drm-free crowd cares about multiplayer
- Setting up a LAN game requires a little bit of networking knowledge (you need to figure out your IP and the IP of the other computer on the network) and setting up a network game over the internet with a self-hosted server (so far, I've only seen two games supporting that: Factorio and Terraria) even moreso.

I get that this is the trend that the industry is adopting, but I'm personally annoyed/worried about two things:
- That they will rip out pre-existing LAN support in older games, replace it with Galaxy and call that an improvement
- That when a game is listed as multiplayer/coop, they don't even bother clarifying what the offline support is
Lifthrasil: Worst offender:
GWENT - microtransactions are the sole reason for this game to exist. So of course it needs DRM, because otherwise the purchases couldn't be related to an account. A micro-transaction driven game on GOG was quite a shock at the time. By now almost everyone has gotten used to it and the game set a precedent.
You know, initially, I was of the opinion that this was not a biggy (because the game was free and all), but in retrospect, I think you might be right that distributing the game here contributed to the erosion of the dm-free culture that the site initially helped establish.
Post edited October 04, 2021 by Magnitus
I originally wrote something here that I'm more skeptical of the more I think about it.

Since I can't delete it, and I can't leave a blank space here, I'll just say that I agree with most of what was written.
Post edited October 05, 2021 by lazycade
Magnitus: - Setting up a LAN game requires a little bit of networking knowledge (you need to figure out your IP and the IP of the other computer on the network) and setting up a network game over the internet with a self-hosted server (so far, I've only seen two games supporting that: Factorio and Terraria) even moreso.
Stardew Valley also supports a direct connection by entering an IP address.
low rated
Magnitus: - Setting up a LAN game requires a little bit of networking knowledge (you need to figure out your IP and the IP of the other computer on the network) and setting up a network game over the internet with a self-hosted server (so far, I've only seen two games supporting that: Factorio and Terraria) even moreso.
cat333pokemon: Stardew Valley also supports a direct connection by entering an IP address.
A lot of places do. I get why it's not the basic requirement, but if you're going Peer-to-Peer anyway, why not go this direction.
high rated
Quote"
YI: a statement by a GOG blue, reported by mqstout, clarifies GOG's new stance on DRM:

All games available on GOG have offline installers available. We stay in touch with the partners and do our best to keep them up to date. However, video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players. This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose."

& hence the fine edge to which GOG cuts itself; subjectivity in allowing DRM in capitulation to the prevalence of DRM tie in's.
Lets get one thing straight from the community standpoint a minor feature are 'skins' a major feature is anything commonly used or expected to be used in the full experience of the game.

Items in hitman, & challenges are most definitely major single player content.
On top of this if GOG's stance is purely about single player then it should not have Multiplayer games sold here, because clearly they know modern multiplayer requires drm & they make the conscious choice to allow it even though their core ideology is meant to be DRM free.

So I'll second hitman being on this list as a primary example, though to not draw a line in the sand at multiplayer is capitulation to an eroded state of adherence to GOG's own founding tenant.
low rated
MaceyNeil: Quote"
YI: a statement by a GOG blue, reported by mqstout, clarifies GOG's new stance on DRM:

All games available on GOG have offline installers available. We stay in touch with the partners and do our best to keep them up to date. However, video games continue to evolve with many titles offering online modes, cosmetics, and incentives for completing certain actions by players. This might be subjective, but as long as these additional features and rewards do not affect the single-player offline experience in a major way, we believe that the developers and publishers should be free to design and sell their games in a way they choose."

& hence the fine edge to which GOG cuts itself; subjectivity in allowing DRM in capitulation to the prevalence of DRM tie in's.
Lets get one thing straight from the community standpoint a minor feature are 'skins' a major feature is anything commonly used or expected to be used in the full experience of the game.
Could we get a link or citation. It lands in on what I've heard and what I've seen, but it be nice to get hard confirmation.

As for the rest, it's what I've been saying, this is a fine edge that uses extremely complex determinates. It's not entirely subjective, but the objective standard would be an utter nightmare to keep, let alone communicate, meaning the subjective ends up being the way this will go just out of practical concerns. This whole thing from IO is just a loophole abusing the limits in that statement, and fuck IO for doing so. As far as I'm concerned they committed a civil offense(false advertising,) and GoG is a victim in this. A not necessarily undeserved victim, but a victim nontheless.

People really need to get GoG doesn't run on the definition ALL lockout for any reason is DRM, it is okay to have some variable in the definitions of nouns and adjectives. Intrusive and stupid yes, worthy of downvoting and loses stars in review yes, but mutually exclusive to GoG standards, no.
Aragami - Already on the list of Galaxy being required for multi-player. I saw a case on reddit involving this game not working period that is related to a possible in-game bug involving the GalaxyCommunicationService.exe file. Because I do not own this game, I cannot help test if there is some DRM-related bug that causes the game not not work period on specific computers if run outside of Galaxy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/q306xf/and_another_game_which_cant_start_without_the/
high rated
mastyer-kenobi: Could we get a link or citation. It lands in on what I've heard and what I've seen, but it be nice to get hard confirmation.
You can find the link to the post in the OP:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/drm_on_gog_list_of_singleplayer_games_with_drm/post1
LordCephy: Aragami - Already on the list of Galaxy being required for multi-player. I saw a case on reddit involving this game not working period that is related to a possible in-game bug involving the GalaxyCommunicationService.exe file. Because I do not own this game, I cannot help test if there is some DRM-related bug that causes the game not not work period on specific computers if run outside of Galaxy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gog/comments/q306xf/and_another_game_which_cant_start_without_the/
If you read the thread you can clearly see that this seems to be an issue only one person experienced yet - so it's probably due to some installation errors in Galaxy.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by MarkoH01
high rated
You may all be interested that Hitman Lame of the Year: Online edition was taken down for now. Hey GOG, let's get to work on the rest of these now too please :)
high rated
rjbuffchix: You may all be interested that Hitman Lame of the Year: Online edition was taken down for now. Hey GOG, let's get to work on the rest of these now too please :)
Better late than never... Means that the backlash was still strong enough for them to think the boiling frog strategy didn't quite get to this point yet. So, as that other thread said, keep making noise, only way to keep holding this last stage off. For how long, remains to be seen.

PS: Great response from you on that thread.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by Cavalary
high rated
I think it is even more remarkable that GOG finally APOLOGIZED, stated that the game should not have been offered in that state here at all and that even the negative posts did not show that people dislike GOG but the opposite. Hopefully GOG really meant what they said. We'll see when the next scandal arrives ;)
high rated
MarkoH01: I think it is even more remarkable that GOG finally APOLOGIZED, stated that the game should not have been offered in that state here at all and that even the negative posts did not show that people dislike GOG but the opposite. Hopefully GOG really meant what they said. We'll see when the next scandal arrives ;)
For me there only will be hope when they finally remove the DRM from their own game, Cyberpunk 2077, no matter how much single player content is locked behind that DRM. Everything else is just avoiding too much backlash.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by eiii
high rated
MarkoH01: I think it is even more remarkable that GOG finally APOLOGIZED, stated that the game should not have been offered in that state here at all and that even the negative posts did not show that people dislike GOG but the opposite. Hopefully GOG really meant what they said. We'll see when the next scandal arrives ;)
eiii: For me there only will be hope when they finally remove the DRM from their own game, Cyberpunk 2077, no matter how much single player content is locked behind that DRM.
Fun thing: this would be far more easy than removing the Hitman DRM ... and I still doubt they'll do it because they want to attract Galaxy customers with this.
high rated
eiii: For me there only will be hope when they finally remove the DRM from their own game, Cyberpunk 2077, no matter how much single player content is locked behind that DRM.
MarkoH01: Fun thing: this would be far more easy than removing the Hitman DRM ... and I still doubt they'll do it because they want to attract Galaxy customers with this.
That's exactly why this case is so important, as it clearly shows GOG's priorities.