It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Djaron: ...
Simply put:
DRM is a (mostly) software-based (ultimately hardware implementations rely on internal software anyway, there is barely any existing PURELY PHYSICAL DRM around anymore) measure made to ensure enforcement of desired content accessibility rules set by whoever decided to use it.
So it very fundamentally applies not only to distribution but also to execution of software.
There are many forms of DRM.
Hitman 2 (2018) for example requires connectivity to IOI (developer) servers in order for a player to unlock challange progression (which entails like 70+ % of the game).

Whether or not "my rewards" is a DRM is not a quastion - it is a FACT.
Unfortunatelly some people can't or don't want to understand that, which is stupid, but that's how this sh*tty worldline is :S

Djaron: amazon kindle removals, already happened
Please elaborate. I'm all ears.

KasperHviid: The otherwise great DEX MACHINA wont save your highscore (thus unlocking further levels) unless launched through Galaxy.
That sounds like a "bit" too far measure.
That would effectively mean you need Galaxy to progress in the game.
If that's for real then it's some pure BS.

edit:
1.Dissappearing post (seriously, just HOW ANCIENT is this forum CMS)
2.Fixed typing errors
Post edited December 25, 2020 by B1tF1ghter
Djaron: amazon kindle removals, already happened
B1tF1ghter: Please elaborate. I'm all ears.
Probably referring to the 2009 mess.
B1tF1ghter: 1.Dissappearing post (seriously, just HOW ANCIENT is this forum CMS)
Pretty much since GOG launched, so over a decade. Can take a while for it to see that there's a new page, so if your post would be the first one on a new page, this happens pretty often.
KasperHviid: The otherwise great DEX MACHINA wont save your highscore (thus unlocking further levels) unless launched through Galaxy.
What game is that?

I find only a game called "Dex", is that the one you mean?

EDIT: Do you mean Nex Machina?

https://www.gog.com/game/nex_machina
Post edited December 25, 2020 by timppu
timppu: What game is that?

I find only a game called "Dex", is that the one you mean?

EDIT: Do you mean Nex Machina?

https://www.gog.com/game/nex_machina
Sorry, spelling error. Yup, I meant Nex Machina
KasperHviid: The otherwise great NEX MACHINA wont save your highscore (thus unlocking further levels) unless launched through Galaxy.
If it were only the saving if the highscore, one could argue, that that only serves as bragging rights online and is therefore a multiplayer feature. (Not that I would agree, since Highscores were around long before online multiplayer)

But if that prevents the unlocking of levels, it is way worse. Because in effect those levels are then locked behind a Galaxy-online-requirement.
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon:
Lifthrasil: Read here: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/no_mans_sky_isnt_fully_drmfree/post486

I got the same reply.
My message to support was:

[…]
- or at the very least keep the last actually DRM-free version of the game available as a backup offline installer.
Also, please notify your customers, what you are going to do about this problem in the thread where this issue is discussed: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/no_mans_sky_isnt_fully_drmfree/
[…]
Lifthrasil: […]
+1
Kyousuke.:
AB2012: […] Personally I don't own Cyberpunk 2077 and aren't even thinking about buying until it's finished (late 2021 / early 2022). If this "needs Galaxy for offline single player" cr*p is still in it by then, I won't be buying at all. […]
[…]
+1
As somebody who plays video games on a system that is not connected to the internet, any game that I cannot download (on this machine, which is connected, obviously) and transfer to the other computer is, ipso facto, not a game I can play. Thus, if Gog is selling games that must have some (even only initial) connection to the internet to play, I will not be able to play them. You can argue what to call this as much as you want, but if the product requires an online connection then it should be broadcast at the time of purchase. (It used to be so.)
low rated
KasperHviid: Sorry, spelling error. Yup, I meant Nex Machina
What do you mean "thus unlocking further levels" there are only 6 levels in this games and none of them are tied you your high score. Unless something new has been added recently.
KasperHviid: Sorry, spelling error. Yup, I meant Nex Machina
Gersen: What do you mean "thus unlocking further levels" there are only 6 levels in this games and none of them are tied you your high score. Unless something new has been added recently.
A quick look into the game's subforum gave me this (german) topic. There seems to be some online only "Arena mode" with 10 levels (worlds?), while the offline modes "Single World" and "Arcade" only have five/six levels/worlds.

I don't know anything about this game so I can't really say what's behind this.
low rated
real.geizterfahr: A quick look into the game's subforum gave me this (german) topic. There seems to be some online only "Arena mode" with 10 levels (worlds?), while the offline modes "Single World" and "Arcade" only have five/six levels/worlds.

I don't know anything about this game so I can't really say what's behind this.
So basically from what I checked the single player part (the one I played) is fully offline, no difference than before, and they added the "online arena" which is just 10/11 challenges taking place in the SP levels where the objective is to get an high score on the weekly leader board.
KasperHviid: Yup, I meant Nex Machina
Can you please elaborate, what kind of levels are locked behind highscores? If it is only the multiplayer part, I'll put the game accordingly in the multiplayer games with drm section, not in the single player section.
low rated
Are the marketing outfits in Cyberpunk able to be played without Galaxy after download? If you move Cyberpunk's files to a different drive and launch the game without Galaxy running do those items still appear in your inventory? If so I would not say they are DRM'd, and I will die on this hill.

Signing into something to download something is not DRM. If it were, every game on GOG has DRM.
StingingVelvet: Are the marketing outfits in Cyberpunk able to be played without Galaxy after download? If you move Cyberpunk's files to a different drive and launch the game without Galaxy running do those items still appear in your inventory? If so I would not say they are DRM'd, and I will die on this hill.

Signing into something to download something is not DRM. If it were, every game on GOG has DRM.
As far as I understand (I don't have the game myself), the rewards, once you connect via galaxy, are marked as part of your game save, so you need to repeat the procedure with every new playthrough.
Post edited December 26, 2020 by mrkgnao
Master of Orion 2016

In Singleplayer, you can only have one game at a time, as long as you are not registered at their website.
This means, that you have to either play one game to the end or cancel it, if you want to try another playtrough.
Clearly some kind of DRM!
StingingVelvet: Are the marketing outfits in Cyberpunk able to be played without Galaxy after download? If you move Cyberpunk's files to a different drive and launch the game without Galaxy running do those items still appear in your inventory? If so I would not say they are DRM'd, and I will die on this hill.

Yeah, the meaning of "DRM" has diversified in such a way that the term no longer follows the root "Digital Rights Management." Similar to how a "Role playing game" no longer requires any role playing to be involved. Actually, something like SlingTV which claims retroactive broadcast streaming is a "DVR" really shows how terms evolve past their original meanings.

The other part is DRM has an inherently negative connotation so when you argue something isn't DRM you inadvertently make it sound like you're arguing a practice is not negative. Language is inherently broken, given enough time we would all resort to communicating in grunts and groans again. After all, "literally" is literally its own antonym now ( https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally )

"Nex Machina " is the only game here that actually requires galaxy, if you pirated any of the other games (in gog format and uncracked) you could still access the online-only content, correct? So online-only content doesn't actually care if you have the "digital rights" to that content... in most cases I assume this is to convince the player to add a firewall exception for the game and allow them to upload anything they want to their servers (snooping on players) which is rather unacceptable.
low rated
malikhis: Yeah, the meaning of "DRM" has diversified in such a way that the term no longer follows the root "Digital Rights Management."
"everything I don't like is DRM" doesn't diversify the term DRM, just like pancake doesn't diversify the term "planet".