It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StingingVelvet: Yeah, I didn't like this and thought it was weird too. Especially since... minor spoilers... they seem to be trying to make demons, angels and other such classic mythology creatures into aliens.
Crosmando: The original Dooms did have much more of a Satanic theme going on for the demons, it was Doom 3 that really went all in with the demons just being evil aliens.
But then again, the first episode of Doom 1 ended with the Phobos Anomaly, the anomaly being a corrupted teleporter.

But of course, not much is said specifically in the story of Doom so it is up to everyone to fill in the blanks.
low rated
Has anyone seen Doom Eternal in 3rd person? xD
It's this bitty model running around like a 00s intern animation

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BREATH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

x'''D
x'''D
x'''D

*thump*

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Post edited March 30, 2020 by Crevurre
low rated
(yeh it's better than I could do...beat you to it)
AB2012: As for Doom Eternal, from what I'm hearing it certainly wouldn't be the first game to lose a lot of its 'simple fun' charm by starting to take itself too seriously in later sequels. I'm wondering how much of the "survival" mechanics shoehorned in it that a lot of people don't seem to like (eg, perma starvation of ammo) are the result of the devs listening too much to a certain self-proclaimed 'hardcore' audience who prefer grind and being 'funneled' into a specific style of play over freedom of gameplay / exploration. It sounds like it's ended up the FPS equivalent of those "Survival" genre games which start out reasonably well balanced before degenerating into "I just sold 3 diamond rings and still can't afford a can of beans, I need to eat 24 meals per day, I will freeze to death in 90 seconds on a mild autumn day, and I just beat a small rat 500x times with a spiked club without making a scratch because the weapon was the 'wrong counter'" syndrome...
This is definitely a thing in some other series, but this one is more complicated. It's more that after hearing all the praise for the new mechanics in 2016... the ammo and health being tied to combat, causing a "rhythm"... they went way overboard with those ideas. "People like having to get ammo from killing, so let's make you have very little ammo at all times so you have to do it more!" That's just one example, but that kind of design philosophy permeates the whole game. I remarked elsewhere they went "up their own ass" with it, and I think this is a case where that colorful metaphor is very well used.

A lot of people hated those mechanics in 2016, and they will looooathe this game. I thought they were okay then, but are now waaaaay overdone, making the game much less enjoyable but still okay. 6-7 out of 10, basically.
StingingVelvet: This is definitely a thing in some other series, but this one is more complicated. It's more that after hearing all the praise for the new mechanics in 2016... the ammo and health being tied to combat, causing a "rhythm"... they went way overboard with those ideas. "People like having to get ammo from killing, so let's make you have very little ammo at all times so you have to do it more!" That's just one example, but that kind of design philosophy permeates the whole game. I remarked elsewhere they went "up their own ass" with it, and I think this is a case where that colorful metaphor is very well used.

A lot of people hated those mechanics in 2016, and they will looooathe this game. I thought they were okay then, but are now waaaaay overdone, making the game much less enjoyable but still okay. 6-7 out of 10, basically.
Ammo was limited in Doom 2016 too until you got about 2 ammo upgrades. After that it was manageable/you could shoot most things to death without ever being forced to use the chainsaw. But the part before the first argent cell where all you have is a pistol and a shotgun with 20 shells is pretty annoying. Each ammo upgrade is pretty huge though. You go from 20 to 30 shells, 90 AR bullets to 120 etc.

I've seen that you can upgrade ammo capacity in Eternal too. Are the upgrades too low impact to improve the situation?
idbeholdME: I've seen that you can upgrade ammo capacity in Eternal too. Are the upgrades too low impact to improve the situation?
You start with 16 shotgun shells and after max upgrades have 24. This is much lower than 2016, to my memory. Also there are only 2-3 ammo types and multiple guns use each one, further limiting how much you have.
StingingVelvet: You start with 16 shotgun shells and after max upgrades have 24. This is much lower than 2016, to my memory. Also there are only 2-3 ammo types and multiple guns use each one, further limiting how much you have.
Seriously? OK, that IS bad then. I thought that it might get better with upgrades but obviously not.
low rated

X'''D

*wheeze*
*thump thump*
low rated
StingingVelvet: You start with 16 shotgun shells and after max upgrades have 24. This is much lower than 2016, to my memory. Also there are only 2-3 ammo types and multiple guns use each one, further limiting how much you have.
Didn't original doom have limited ammo types shared by guns as well(albeit with higher ammo limits)? I believe it did.

I agree the limits are very bleh, though.
Crevurre: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

X'''D

*wheeze*
*thump thump*
?
low rated
jsidhu762: ?
It's just some other user's alt account and/or someone trolling...they have been posting such posts in a bunch of threads.
GameRager: Didn't original doom have limited ammo types shared by guns as well(albeit with higher ammo limits)? I believe it did.
I honestly don't remember, but I don't think it would be an issue if it weren't for the ammo counts being so low. When you only have 24 shots with the shotgun for example, you basically just use one version and mode (like the double-barrel, or stick bombs, or whatever) because you're out of ammo before you even switch. It's frustrating because some of the gun variants have drastically different uses, like the scope on the rifle versus the mini-gun.

Though if you constantly chainsaw for more ammo this isn't such a concern, which is what the developers want you to do. I just hate doing it that much.
low rated
StingingVelvet: Though if you constantly chainsaw for more ammo this isn't such a concern, which is what the developers want you to do. I just hate doing it that much.
Fair enough.....I love chainsawing though, plus it kills some enemies quickly(I save it for the bigger ones mostly), so thankfully it's not too bad for me.....I can see how it wouldn't be that way for some, though..
GameRager: Didn't original doom have limited ammo types shared by guns as well(albeit with higher ammo limits)? I believe it did.
Doom 1-2:-
Bullets = Pistol & Minigun. Max 200 (400 backpack)
Shells = Shotgun & Super-Shotgun. Max 50 (100 backpack)
Rockets = Rocket Launcher. Max 50 (100 backpack)
Cells = Plasma Launcher & BFG 9000. Max 300 (600 backpack)

If they water down Doom anymore, the next Doom game will involve ammo caps of 5 shells / 10 bullets, the chainsaw will be replaced with a walking frame and all maps will be indoors (so a small gust of wind doesn't blow Doomguy over...)
Post edited April 01, 2020 by AB2012
low rated
AB2012: Doom 1-2:-
Bullets = Pistol & Minigun. Max 200 (400 backpack)
Shells = Shotgun & Super-Shotgun. Max 50 (100 backpack)
Rockets = Rocket Launcher. Max 50 (100 backpack)
Cells = Plasma Launcher & BFG 9000. Max 300 (600 backpack)
Thanks for the info.

AB2012: If they water down Doom anymore, the next Doom game will involve ammo caps of 5 shells / 10 bullets, the chainsaw will be replaced with a walking frame and all maps will be indoors (so a small gust of wind doesn't blow Doomguy over...)
Watered down? How so? Imo it's going back to it's kill or be killed, tough as balls roots(albeit with some changes...good AND bad).
Post edited April 01, 2020 by GameRager