I wonder if people still has a working Desktop using Windows 95 or 98? and are still using it but heavily modifyed.
I think I have advertised my Win98SE retro-PCs quite a few times. They are:
1. Compaq Presario:
- 128MB RAM
- 3Dfx Voodoo 4MB
- Soundblaster 16
- Roland SCC-1
- Roland CM-32L
2. A newer AMD Athlon XP PC, which runs Windows 98SE, Windows XP and Munt Linux:
- AMD Athlon 1.66 GHz
- 768MB RAM (restricted to 512MB when running Win98SE, as Win9x starts to have problems with more than that)
- ATI Radeon X800 Pro (256MB of video memory)
3. IBM ThinkPad T41 (runs both Windows 98SE and XP; sometimes I've had also some Linux running on it. but not right now, I have enough other Linux boxes)
- 2GB RAM, restricted to 512MB when running Win98SE
- See the rest of the specs from Google, it is the variant with ATI graphics chipset. Overall it feels about as fast for gaming and stuff as #2 desktop above, maybe even a bit faster. This is actually my main retrogaming PC, it runs early Win9x games great even though it is a laptop.
I don't use any of them online while running Win98SE, though.
As for Commodore 64, I was unfortunate enough to choose another home computer as a kid that didn't do as well. I was envious to three of my friends who had C=64.
That's also why I recognize by name and look many C=64 classics, but I don't necessarily know how they are to play. And SID music leaves me totally cold as I have no emotional attachment to any of them. They sound like bunch of sound farts to me (like some poor amateurish beatbox), mostly.