It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

GOG Games Festival is here, along with 1200+ cool gaming deals and waves of upcoming titles that will help you decide on what to play next and also prepare for in the future. Today we welcome 6 new games from Devolver Digital that are coming soon to GOG.COM:

Card Shark is an upcoming action-adventure game where you fleece and cheat your way to the top of 18th-century French society.

Inscryption is an inky black card-based odyssey that blends the deckbuilding roguelike, escape-room style puzzles, and psychological horror into a blood-laced smoothie.

Shadow Warrior 3 is an offbeat FPS game with a seamless blend of fast-paced gunplay, razor-sharp melee combat, and a spectacular free-running movement system.

Terra Nil is a reverse city builder about ecosystem reconstruction where you turn a barren wasteland into an ecological paradise complete with different flora and fauna.

Trek to Yomi is a poetic action-adventure title where you join a lone samurai on his breathtaking voyage beyond life and death.

Weird West is an RPG sim where you must survive and unveil the mysteries of a strange land through the intertwined destinies of its unusual heroes.

Celebrate GOG Games Festival with us and discover more fascinating titles that are coming soon to GOG.COM!
thefallenalchemist: I'm iffy on supporting devolver after they gave a lot of money to fund Anita Sarkeesian. Not only is she trying to ruin games and is not, nor never has been a gamer - but she also grifted her own fans and basically took all the money they donated to her and went on a vacation. She didn't even pay her employees. And then Devolver surprises us all by giving a known grifter this large sum of money. I just can't stand for that, and it sucks because I loved Devolver Digital as a company.
I know, she's the contemporary equivalent of the right wing / moms associations witch hunt against RPGs, videogames and metal bands in the 90s, with made up accusations from people who knew nothing about the things they wanted to ban. But Devolver's catalogue is solid, indie and available DRM-free, on Itch-io as well, prices are reasonable. And there are companies that have done worse than wasting their money on a con fake-feminist. I'd rather have a problem with Ubisoft and many other companies, where employees are abused and exploited. Or Nintendo, EA and others who are trying to push gambling mechanics on children.
Wait, Inscryption is coming to GOG even though Pony Island, which was made by the same developer, was delisted? What?

I realize this is not the same publisher, but still it makes no sense to me.
nightcraw1er.488: Ah, lo wang. I am afraid it’s a wait and see on shadow warrior 3. 2013 was a cracking game which I have played through three times and has a great story. 2 however was a real disappointment, and I tried it only a month or so back again to give it another shot. It’s a great engine, and nice graphically, but on every other level falls flat. Randomised levels, no story, guns are useless, filled with borderlands loot system, pointless side quest missions. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun to chop things up for half hour or so, but that’s as deep as it gets, after that it’s just increase the numbers, randomise, and do again. Hoji must be sad.
idbeholdME: I really don't get this constant screaming about "Borderlands loot", which I assume is just everybody parroting the most common complaint which is not even true. SW 2 is pretty much nothing like Borderlands. All guns have a fixed place you get them from (except 1 or 2 which are indeed random drops but you are pretty much guaranteed to get them in a playthrough), the only loot that ever drops are upgrades. In Borderlands, you have to farm the same boss 497 times to get a gun you want to drop. You can play SW 2 smoothly and never grind anything, just revise your upgrades every 10 or so levels... Just because it is an FPS game and it has some form of loot doesn't automatically mean it plays like Borderlands.

Same with the common complaints of guns being useless. Never felt like that for a second in that game. And you can easily reach a state where you will 1 shot multiple trash enemies with a single shotgun shot on the hardest difficulty. The key is using elements and status effects properly. All that is before you even get into upgrading guns with the Orbs of Masamune in the late game.

Story is weaker than in the first game, but passable.

The only thing I agree with is that the randomized level design really did not do much good for the game, but is is outweighed by the stellar shooting mechanics. The side quests are just a means to get you to shoot more stuff and there is really not that many of them. Yes, SW 1 is better, but SW 2 doesn't deserve all the flak it keeps getting.
The loot system is trash. You pick up endless charms which you can add or drop from weapons which frankly never made any difference. This is what the borderlands loot system works like except there rather than add some pathing on, you just find a new weapon with the effects in place.
Guns are useless, you can use your entire ammo reserve on one bullet sponge special character and have no effect whatsoever. Katana the same creature and down in a few strokes. As for the key is using elements and effects, do you do that in real life or is a shotgun to the face enough? Exactly, if you find it fun mixing and matching gems on your shotgun so it actually works, fine, I don’t. I don’t remember the orbs, this play though I didn’t get more than 10 hours in, however previous run through I do remember the end boss being a total waste of time.
Story is non existent, I can’t even remember it from this run through.
Shadow warrior 2 was a real step back in many areas, engine however is good, though they really need to tone all the special effects down, on the neon levels you can actually see anything in combat, it’s just a mass of colours and effects.
SmashManiac: I realize this is not the same publisher, but still it makes no sense to me.
Maybe this helps understand: https://delistedgames.com/pony-island/
Both Trek to Yumi and Shadow Warrior 3? NIce! Now I'm waiting for an announcement regarding Evil West...
thefallenalchemist: I'm iffy on supporting devolver after they gave a lot of money to fund Anita Sarkeesian. Not only is she trying to ruin games and is not, nor never has been a gamer - but she also grifted her own fans and basically took all the money they donated to her and went on a vacation. She didn't even pay her employees. And then Devolver surprises us all by giving a known grifter this large sum of money. I just can't stand for that, and it sucks because I loved Devolver Digital as a company.
Dogmaus: I know, she's the contemporary equivalent of the right wing / moms associations witch hunt against RPGs, videogames and metal bands in the 90s, with made up accusations from people who knew nothing about the things they wanted to ban. But Devolver's catalogue is solid, indie and available DRM-free, on Itch-io as well, prices are reasonable. And there are companies that have done worse than wasting their money on a con fake-feminist. I'd rather have a problem with Ubisoft and many other companies, where employees are abused and exploited. Or Nintendo, EA and others who are trying to push gambling mechanics on children.
I know and I do love Devolver titles generally. They're among the best in independent gaming. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and will probably bite the damn bullet.
nightcraw1er.488: The loot system is trash. You pick up endless charms which you can add or drop from weapons which frankly never made any difference. This is what the borderlands loot system works like except there rather than add some pathing on, you just find a new weapon with the effects in place.
Guns are useless, you can use your entire ammo reserve on one bullet sponge special character and have no effect whatsoever. Katana the same creature and down in a few strokes. As for the key is using elements and effects, do you do that in real life or is a shotgun to the face enough? Exactly, if you find it fun mixing and matching gems on your shotgun so it actually works, fine, I don’t. I don’t remember the orbs, this play though I didn’t get more than 10 hours in, however previous run through I do remember the end boss being a total waste of time.
Shadow warrior 2 was a real step back in many areas, engine however is good, though they really need to tone all the special effects down, on the neon levels you can actually see anything in combat, it’s just a mass of colours and effects.
The gems scale very slowly, so yes, at the start, getting +5% damage really doesn't do much. But that changes as you reach level ~50 or so. You don't really have to start optimizing until much later. And they make all the difference, trust me.

In Borderlands, you can get fucked by RNG and not get a weapon upgrade for several levels, not to mention that all your weapons become irrelevant every 5 levels or so due to massive scaling. This never happens in SW2 as guns are static and you only get upgrades for them. So no, it really is not like Borderlands. You get flooded by upgrades, but that at least means you never have to grind. And the entire gearing process takes like 2 minutes every few hours once you know what you are doing/ what stats to look for.

If guns are useless, you are either playing on a too high difficulty or using the elemental system wrong. Not much else to say there. The game works that way. If you refuse to utilize this critical system properly and then complain about spongy enemies, that's on you. You can have like 9 weapons hotkeyed, nothing easier than have one dedicated for each element and then some you like. I always play on the hardest difficulty available the moment it unlocks, and don't have any issues with excessive tankiness of enemies (Borderlands is also much worse in this regard). The game also rewards this by higher level and more upgrades. The obvious thing - shoot the head/critical spots. Also, you can upgrade your ammo capacity. I actually found it refreshing that there is finally an FPS where ammo can be an issue.

Story is subjective, but I found it passable.

As I said, I agree it's worse than the 1st game, but seeing people constantly bombing it for the wrong reasons gets tiring. I've played both this and all the Borderlands games excessively and I like SW2 much more exactly because in the critical aspects, it is not like Borderlands.
Post edited August 21, 2021 by idbeholdME
SmashManiac: Wait, Inscryption is coming to GOG even though Pony Island, which was made by the same developer, was delisted? What?

I know, maybe there was some problem with the game outside of Steam, like when it

[spoiler]
trolls you making you believe that one of your Steam friends is writing to you. If you are playing it outside of Steam it wouldn't be credible? Also it would have needed to take out ref to Steam from the GOG version?
[/spoiler]

But I still don't know why it was delisted. I didn't manage to get it on GOG so I have it on Steam thanks to the ga, but I would happily rebuy it on GOG.
Same thing I could say for Baba is you, that we don't have here, but we have another game from a team with BIY dev (Noita).
Anyway, I don't complain that we are getting Inscryption! :)
nightcraw1er.488: The loot system is trash. You pick up endless charms which you can add or drop from weapons which frankly never made any difference. This is what the borderlands loot system works like except there rather than add some pathing on, you just find a new weapon with the effects in place.
idbeholdME: The gems scale very slowly, so yes, at the start, getting +5% damage really doesn't do much. But that changes as you reach level ~50 or so. You don't really have to start optimizing until much later. And they make all the difference, trust me.

In Borderlands, you can get fucked by RNG and not get a weapon upgrade for several levels, not to mention that all your weapons become irrelevant every 5 levels or so due to massive scaling. This never happens in SW2 as guns are static and you only get upgrades for them. So no, it really is not like Borderlands. You get flooded by upgrades, but that at least means you never have to grind. And the entire gearing process takes like 2 minutes every few hours once you know what you are doing/ what stats to look for.

If guns are useless, you are either playing on a too high difficulty or using the elemental system wrong. Not much else to say there. The game works that way. If you refuse to utilize this critical system properly and then complain about spongy enemies, that's on you. You can have like 9 weapons hotkeyed, nothing easier than have one dedicated for each element and then some you like. I always play on the hardest difficulty available the moment it unlocks, and don't have any issues with excessive tankiness of enemies (Borderlands is also much worse in this regard). The game also rewards this by higher level and more upgrades. The obvious thing - shoot the head/critical spots. Also, you can upgrade your ammo capacity. I actually found it refreshing that there is finally an FPS where ammo can be an issue.

Story is subjective, but I found it passable.

As I said, I agree it's worse than the 1st game, but seeing people constantly bombing it for the wrong reasons gets tiring. I've played both this and all the Borderlands games excessively and I like SW2 much more exactly because in the critical aspects, it is not like Borderlands.
Mmm, well glad you liked it. I just looked back at my review from 2016 (it’s on page 9 of reviews if interested). I gave it a 3/5 stars, and the recent play doesn’t change that (even with the post cyberpunk reviewed previous scores). As I say it not a total loss. I would rather play 2013 again, or original games.
Shadow Warrior 3? Nice!
SmashManiac: Wait, Inscryption is coming to GOG even though Pony Island, which was made by the same developer, was delisted? What?
Dogmaus: I know, maybe there was some problem with the game outside of Steam...
But I still don't know why it was delisted.
Different publishers for the Steam and the GOG version (self-published on Steam - published by Plug In Digital on GOG), and apparently, the dev received no payments from his publisher for the sales on GOG:

https://delistedgames.com/pony-island
Since Weird West is love child of Raph Colantonio, that will be an instabuy once it is released :)
Dogmaus: I know, maybe there was some problem with the game outside of Steam...
But I still don't know why it was delisted.
BreOl72: Different publishers for the Steam and the GOG version (self-published on Steam - published by Plug In Digital on GOG), and apparently, the dev received no payments from his publisher for the sales on GOG:

https://delistedgames.com/pony-island
gogdb.org listing "Daniel Mullins Games" for both the developer and the publisher may be an indication of its return, maybe alongside the release of Inscryption?

Speaking of:
Inscryption | Developer Overview
Trek to Yomi - Story Trailer
New Terra Nil Gameplay