It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
yerofeich: It's such a naked lie, "after receiving messages from players" I'd like to see some of these messages!

Anyway this Christmas season be sure to not buy anything from GOG, I know it may seem like a minor issue, but if in 5 years you'll realize that you can only get completely sanitized, politically correct games it's because people were complacent on issues like these.
MasterW: Exactly, it isn't a minor issue, it's a major issue. What the hell happened?

- Galaxy required for multiplayer
- Offline installers are missing, Galaxy required for timely updates
- Bending the knee to a country that breaks all human rights on a daily basis
For me, my annoyance is not just with them not selling Devotion, but a combination of issues that have come up over the years. There are so many principles they've backed away from over the years and here we are now. Them not selling Devotion is only part of the issue and it was bullshit back then for them to refuse to sell Hatred back in the day as well.

There are little things they can do to start turning things around. They don't have to step off that ledge, but I am afraid they are going to become yet another AAA company.
low rated
Mar10: Maybe we should just change all of our forum avatars to screenshots of that Winnie the Pooh reference... ;-)
nah , just vote for better leaders , then we could get laws actually protecting our rights
LordJF: This whole thing is starting to get some mainstream media coverage as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/dec/17/taiwanese-horror-game-pulled-from-sale-again-after-backlash-in-china
toxicTom: Thanks!

Key quote:

Like many PC gaming firms, GOG operates in a grey area in China. The company’s service is available in simplified Chinese, and to users without a VPN. But the Chinese government technically requires games to be licensed for sale in the country – a process strictly controlled by the National Radio and Television Administration and Ministry of Culture and Tourism.

Larger games companies such as Activision Blizzard have sidestepped the requirement by partnering with Chinese firms to release their games on the mainland, while smaller storefronts like GOG have mostly been content to fly below the radar – something with the release of Devotion may have threatened.
toxicTom: That is the explanation, GOG doesn't want to draw any attention to themselves from the Chinese watchdogs.
In that situation it was really stupid to consider selling this game, and even announce it.

That's like breaking and entering in bright red clothes and with a large bell around your neck.

Maybe we misinterpreted everything and there were real, and well-meaning gamers from China messaging GOG to warn them that they're about to be stepping in deep shit and draw the attention of the watchdogs...

"After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store." - we don't know what those messages were, we just assumed it was angry Pooh-fans... Could also have been Chinese GOG customer who are afraid of losing access to their accounts if GOG put themselves in the spotlight of Chinese authorities.

But of course it can also have been threats: Remove the game, or we'll come check your license... or both.
I don't know what this "gamers" are, or even if they exist BUT to me GOG and other western business shouldn't even bother with China market if they have to walk on eggshells like this all the time.
I really don't get this obsession with China. Yes they have many people but in the end you can still have a healthy business without them and if you are just constantly trying to walk on eggshells to not get on their attention or bad side then at some point they will probably ban you anyway so it is wasted effort.

Honestly shame on GOG. It really diminishes my excitement on buying games from here.
Maybe they should ban Cyberpunk as well since many gamers are annoyed by it as well. Seriously what a cheap excuse. In the end if some "gamers" feel annoyed by a games humor they are free not to buy it or support that game. But complaining to the platforms like crazy Karens to ban the game and the platforms actually submitting is just sad.
Post edited December 18, 2020 by SumofOne
high rated
toxicTom: Thanks!

Key quote:

That is the explanation, GOG doesn't want to draw any attention to themselves from the Chinese watchdogs.
In that situation it was really stupid to consider selling this game, and even announce it.

That's like breaking and entering in bright red clothes and with a large bell around your neck.

Maybe we misinterpreted everything and there were real, and well-meaning gamers from China messaging GOG to warn them that they're about to be stepping in deep shit and draw the attention of the watchdogs...

"After receiving many messages from gamers, we have decided not to list the game in our store." - we don't know what those messages were, we just assumed it was angry Pooh-fans... Could also have been Chinese GOG customer who are afraid of losing access to their accounts if GOG put themselves in the spotlight of Chinese authorities.

But of course it can also have been threats: Remove the game, or we'll come check your license... or both.
Mar10: It would make sense that real Chinese gamers would ask GOG to take down one game if that would mean they can continue to enjoy the other 1000+ games on GOG....
Simple solution is to just not have the game available in China only. They can do that as here in Australia we can't buy SR4 due to censorship.
high rated
Many gamers? What? How many even is that? Does that mean no one has ever complained about any other game? What about postal, that game is built on being as offence as humanly possible. Sad to see GOG just bending over to the Chinese government. Weak move.

Also does that mean if an army of bots all send messages, that anything can be removed? Because honestly, that's an scary thought.

Edit: As the poster put above me. As an Aussie, I can't even buy Saints Row 4.(Anyone interested in a trade?) Yet these fuckers can remove a game for everyone? Good show.
Post edited December 18, 2020 by Kamashii
Meanwhile, Gog is still selling Hearts Of Iron 1-3. I don't know about the third game (or the fourth, for that matter), but 1 & 2 were banned in the PRC for the high crime of (gasp!) displaying the Tibetan flag. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gog is prohibited from selling those in the PRC.

But Winnie the Pooh? Apparently, that's beyond redemption.
Post edited December 18, 2020 by Dalswyn
high rated
are we gonna get any official word from GOG at all? It's been about 2 days now..
high rated
shattenyagger: are we gonna get any official word from GOG at all? It's been about 2 days now..
Doubt it. Their plan seems to be keep silent until people stop bringing this up.
high rated
shattenyagger: are we gonna get any official word from GOG at all? It's been about 2 days now..
LordJF: Doubt it. Their plan seems to be keep silent until people stop bringing this up.
This says something about how much they care about our continuous support...
high rated
LordJF: Doubt it. Their plan seems to be keep silent until people stop bringing this up.
RafaelRamus: This says something about how much they care about our continuous support...
It's clear that we're just dollar signs to CD Projekt RED, or whatever the fuck China's bribe currency is that they're bowing down to accept.
Post edited December 18, 2020 by AmethystViper
high rated
As I pointed out in another thread about this, I like that they pulled this little stunt and gave away Prison Architect on the same day.

Several deals I'm interested in during this sale but I think I'll be sitting this one out for the time being. Plenty of things in my library as it is and until there is some kind of announcement I think I'll sit on the sidelines.

It's my choice what content I consume. It's the right of GOG to decide what they do and do not carry on their platform, but GOG was clearly onboard with carrying Devotion. Right up until "something" happened.

Complaints from gamers? I don't know if there's truth there or not and I don't care. Even if it is legitimate real gamers who complained it doesn't make a difference if it was 10K people or one. I purchase here and play here too. I didn't ask the post above me, or 7 above me or whatever to have a say in what content I'm allowed to purchase for personal use. Didn't realize their opinions mattered more then mine.
yerofeich: It's such a naked lie, "after receiving messages from players" I'd like to see some of these messages!

Anyway this Christmas season be sure to not buy anything from GOG, I know it may seem like a minor issue, but if in 5 years you'll realize that you can only get completely sanitized, politically correct games it's because people were complacent on issues like these.
MasterW: Exactly, it isn't a minor issue, it's a major issue. What the hell happened?

- Offline installers are missing, Galaxy required for timely updates
- Bending the knee to a country that breaks all human rights on a daily basis
Not sure how I feel about this because I don't play MP. But makes sense using Galaxy for MP.
-Offline installers are missing, Galaxy required for timely updates
I have almost 1100 games on GOG and offline installer for all of them. What games are we talking about?
Post edited December 18, 2020 by SuperLibby72
I hadn't heard of this game before. After learning more about it, I'm much more interested in buying it - might even be an insta-buy depending on the price or launch discounts.

I was preparing to buy a bunch of other games during the Winter sale, but because of GOG's actions regarding Devotion and Cyberpunk 2077, I don't really feel like buying anything from them.

I even considered pre-ordering (something I rarely do), Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG.com but ended up not doing so and I'm glad I did - which really says something about how my opinion of GOG/CDPR has changed.

Please get back to up-holding your original core principles.
high rated
Sony removed Cyberpunk from PSN. I will leave this gold here: https://mobile.twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1339741387118526465
Keep in mind it’s a parody account.
Aver: Sony removed Cyberpunk from PSN. I will leave this gold here: https://mobile.twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1339741387118526465
Keep in mind it’s a parody account.
It actually did get taken down from the PlayStation Store (and sucks to be CDPR right now). See here:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/cyberpunk-2077-refunds/
Post edited December 18, 2020 by AmethystViper