It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Well, I guess I won't be buying anymore from GOG. It's unfortunate, but I was annoyed already at them going back on their original founding principles of no regional pricing, no DRM and no client, now this is way too much.
I cannot support anymore a company that does something like this for political reasons, even if I kinda enjoy their offering.
I thought they were different, but their consumer friendly policies largely went out of the window as soon as they gained popularity, and now this, which is just flat out wrong.
I'll acquire games somewhere else. Bye.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by Shendue
https://twitter.com/redcandlegames/status/1339489008641056769
It seems that "Red Candle Games" have resigned themself to don't release Devotion on GoG.
I still hope for a change, but meh.
Post edited December 17, 2020 by shade
high rated
timppu: Will you be boycotting other digital stores as well which are not selling Devotion, like Steam and Epic?

I don't recall seeing any statement from Valve either, so in that sense the only thing GOG differed was that they made any statement at all (which they have now apparently deleted).
Don't know about him, but I'll not buy a single game from GOG or Steam until they pull their heads out of their asses, and grow a spine. Epic was on my no-buy-list from day-0 and have no hope of ever getting off it anyways.
I have a large enough backlog, mods, and other hobbies than video games to last me for several years, if not decades.

GOG needs to go through their websites/accounts and remove misleading blurbs like;
"We care about games
GOG.com is a digital distribution platform with a curated selection of games, a "you buy it, you own it" philosophy, and utmost care about customers."
They clarely don't care about games and customers if the Chicoms can dictate what makes it on their platforms. What we need is a de-cupeling of the west and china's economy.
Aver: That's what I meant, you can self publish game. I don't know what is exactly you are trying to say here.
I guess what I am trying to say here is:

Why isn't the game on Steam? Can't you self-publish games on Steam?

Aver: Publisher said indeed that there are technical issues, but it was after outrage in China. Then publisher lost publishing rights in China. Store page on GOG didn't have Winking Entertainment listed as publisher, so I believe it was self published. I only assume that Winking Entertainment still holds exclusive rights to release it on Steam, but they won't do anything with it and we need for their deal with the developer to expire to see it again.
Lots of assumptions there.

If the current publisher has the worldwide (not only Steam) publishing rights but doesn't want to publish it anywhere anymore, then I guess that affects all worldwide stores, not just Steam.

If the developer is free to re-publish the game worldwide because the Weewink Whatever lost its interest to publish it, then they can do it also on Steam.

Aver: Steam officially said that they don't block Devotion from being released there.
I guess GOG could make a similar statement, and it would be just as much true.
Aver: That's what I meant, you can self publish game. I don't know what is exactly you are trying to say here.
timppu: I guess what I am trying to say here is:

If they had deal with publisher then until this deal expires, they can't publish it there.
high rated
Absolutely disgraceful behavior from GOG.

Is this the world you want to create? Where independent creators are bullied and censored by mammoth state actors, with the indispensable aid of legions of useful idiots and cowardly, spineless western companies like you?

I would have expected better from a Polish company, considering your national history, but apparently memory is a fickle thing.

I'm considering abandoning your platform altogether, which is quite a pain since I stupidly chose it as my main store. But sorry, no DRM is a ultimately inconsequential stance compared to that of actively enabling political repression.
high rated
Bloodygoodgames: Wouldn't spend a cent with this morally bankrupt company....
toxicTom: Morally corrupt is the bread and butter of capitalism. There are no morals when there's $$$ to be made. Greed eats brain and soul. If you want to avoid "morally corrupt" companies, better become self-sufficient.

People are disappointed, because they thought GOG would be somehow better. But there's CD Projekt SA looming above them, publicly traded and they are committed to shareholder value, and nothing else.

It's so funny that people whine here about the oh so evil "communist" China, when the real reason behind this decision is the simple capitalist logic of greed.
It does not matter what term is used to describe each of the respective eco/political systems in the act of bending to the will of such regimes. What matters is the act. And I feel not "funny" reading about them doing that. Shame; embarrassment, disgust... this is more the type of feeling I have regarding this situation. And a bit of hopeful pride seeing the big amount of people speaking out against it.
timppu: I guess what I am trying to say here is:

Aver: If they had deal with publisher then until this deal expires, they can't publish it there.
If the publisher refuses to publish the game on the store what the deal was about, then the deal is expired.

It is different of course if Valve doesn't want to make a new deal with the new publisher (the developer).
high rated
GOG & CDPR, grow a pair and release this game back ASAP. Put your money where your mouth is.
Aver: If they had deal with publisher then until this deal expires, they can't publish it there.
timppu: If the publisher refuses to publish the game on the store what the deal was about, then the deal is expired.
Not necessarily, depends on how to deal was worded.
Aver: Games can be listed on GOG without publisher.
timppu: Can you name some GOG games that don't have any publisher? I just want to see what it says in their game cards in the "Publisher" part, is it really empty. (The "Company X/Y" part.)

Note: If the game is self-published, it still has a publisher. Sometimes it is the developer team itself.

Aver: It was pulled from Steam by publisher that wanted to save their ass in China.
timppu: Why would they have that problem only on Steam, and not GOG?

Also is that official information, or your guess? Because elsewhere I read it was pulled from Steam for "technical reasons", but naturally I am also suspecting that was a mere excuse.
the devs said they pulled down the game to fix game crashing bugs, then the publishers said they won't do business with the devs anymore and they never put the game back on steam...I think fixing bugs is just an excuse
high rated
Timboli: If GOG make a stand against China, they could I believe, be committing suicide ... and I for one don't want that.
As opposed to the slow inevitable death they are bringing on themselves by their own actions right now?

Even though you underestimate how much capitol CDPR/GOG have and are discounting the value of literally every market that isn't China, if what you claim is how it would shake out, then at least they would go down with honor, integrity and respect.

Die a hero and all that...
high rated
Wishlist entry for Devotion now has 5000 votes!

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/devotion
Steamisbetter: Serves you right... The 45th, against all odds, stood up for West and its hard earned freedoms, defended your rights alone, against ongoing dangers like china. What did you all do? Unite against him, fight him relentlessly, besmear and sabotage him at each and every step, all the way to retiring him from the office early, through a fraudulent, set-up defeat. Enjoy now your wheelchair jo and middle east occupying your land, your markets, your everything; you felled the west, now you reap consequences.
LOL @ GOG users. Ranting about fridom of spich while downvoting posts like above. Orange man bad, right?

Well GL with Kamala Harris protecting the 1st and standing up to China PR.

As for Devotion - unless it's original uncensored, it's not need and I won't buy it censored:
https://nichegamer.com/2019/02/25/taiwanese-horror-game-devotion-review-bombed-for-mocking-chinese-president-xi-jinping/
(Read whole article and comments there)
Post edited December 17, 2020 by VBProject
high rated
Bloodygoodgames: Wouldn't spend a cent with this morally bankrupt company....
toxicTom: Morally corrupt is the bread and butter of capitalism. There are no morals when there's $$$ to be made. Greed eats brain and soul. If you want to avoid "morally corrupt" companies, better become self-sufficient.

People are disappointed, because they thought GOG would be somehow better. But there's CD Projekt SA looming above them, publicly traded and they are committed to shareholder value, and nothing else.

It's so funny that people whine here about the oh so evil "communist" China, when the real reason behind this decision is the simple capitalist logic of greed.
It's the lie that did it for me.

"Gamers complained"?

I can understand the capitalist motivations, but at least own up to it. Putting up an appearance while acting the complete opposite is what gets my goat.

So yes, if they're going to be disrespectful towards their customers by insulting their inteli... intelaj... smartness, GOG deserve all the shit thrown their way.

They started it.