It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

slbunny: I'm still not sure why GOG can't simply region lock the game in China like they do other countries.
See, if that was the case, there'd be no controversy. Also, that's not good enough for China.
high rated
I only shop on GOG because I support their principles. If I just wanted a functioning product I could buy it anywhere, or pirate it. GOG abandoning their principles means they will lose my business.

As others have said: the silence is appalling. The fact that a brutal authoritarian government can not only force such a move, but apply such pressure that GOG is unwilling to even comment further on the topic, is heinous.
Post edited January 04, 2021 by crabsmack
high rated
Guys I'd like to remind you about the Xbox One and how boycotting helped improved that situation. At first they had online DRM and after a massive boycott and backlash they no longer had it. Boycotts do work. Stick with it people, we can make GOG great again.
McMicroDonalds: Guys I'd like to remind you about the Xbox One and how boycotting helped improved that situation. At first they had online DRM and after a massive boycott and backlash they no longer had it. Boycotts do work. Stick with it people, we can make GOG great again.
That assumes GOG is actually able to listen to their userbase.
Considering how they kept ignoring community feedback for YEARS this may not be the case at all.
McMicroDonalds: Guys I'd like to remind you about the Xbox One and how boycotting helped improved that situation. At first they had online DRM and after a massive boycott and backlash they no longer had it. Boycotts do work. Stick with it people, we can make GOG great again.
B1tF1ghter: That assumes GOG is actually able to listen to their userbase.
Considering how they kept ignoring community feedback for YEARS this may not be the case at all.
Is GOG not interested in competing at all.
McMicroDonalds: Is GOG not interested in competing at all.
Oh, they have certainly entered a contest for most user-unfriendly gamedev industry corp.
low rated
crabsmack: I only shop on GOG because I support their principles. If I just wanted a functioning product I could buy it anywhere, or pirate it. GOG abandoning their principles means they will lose my business.

As others have said: the silence is appalling. The fact that a brutal authoritarian government can not only force such a move, but apply such pressure that GOG is unwilling to even comment further on the topic, is heinous.
it think it may be time to point out that it may not have been the Chinese government, but really "gamers" of two different kinds. Two things needs to be kept in mind:
1} China is a massive market
2) gOg do not officaly trade in China

I said two types of games:
1) Those who generally agree with the government (call them brainwashed or whatever, they are still "gamers" and gOg users) and who do not like someone taking the piss of their leadership
2) Those who do not agree with the government, but are afraid gOg (and their gOg accounts) will be blocked if they rock the boat

gOg could have been reciving messaged from either of these two groups

Things where fine, until gOg in their wisdom tweeted on a Chineese account that they would sell thiis game. There was no mention until they did this tweet, then they got the reactions. It may have been from "gamers" in group 1, and It may be the case that the Chinese government do not care that much, but they may be quick to blacklist gOg in the Great Firewall of China if they draw attention to themselves, which the "gamers" in group 2 is afraid off.
Post edited January 04, 2021 by amok
crabsmack: I only shop on GOG because I support their principles. If I just wanted a functioning product I could buy it anywhere, or pirate it. GOG abandoning their principles means they will lose my business.

amok: it think it may be time to point out that it may not have been the Chinese government, but really "gamers" of two different kinds. Two things needs to be kept in mind:

1) Those who generally agree with the government (call them brainwashed or whatever, they are still "gamers" and gOg users) and who do not like someone taking the piss of their leadership
2) Those who do not agree with the government, but are afraid gOg (and their gOg accounts) will be blocked if they rock the boat

Things where fine, until gOg in their wisdom tweeted on a Chineese account that they would sell thiis game. There was no mention until they did this tweet, then they got the reactions. It may have been from "gamers" in group 1, and It may be the case that the Chinese government do not care that much, but they may be quick to blacklist gOg in the Great Firewall of China if they draw attention to themselves, which the "gamers" in group 2 is afraid off.
Still, then banning it in China would've sufficed, right?
Have any of the angry "many gamers" posted on any of these threads supporting banning the game???

That is the strongest evidence that GOG's claim is a lie.

I have no doubt the Chinese government threatened to cut off GOG from the Chinese market if they did not dump the game.
low rated
amok: it think it may be time to point out that it may not have been the Chinese government, but really "gamers" of two different kinds. Two things needs to be kept in mind:

kohlrak: Still, then banning it in China would've sufficed, right?
not sure, as it can still be seen as a company that support these kinds of games, and therefore both gamers in group 1 and 2 could still feel either outraged (not going to deal with a company that support this behaviour) or scared (a company that support this kind of behaviour might get blocked).
kohlrak: Still, then banning it in China would've sufficed, right?
amok: not sure, as it can still be seen as a company that support these kinds of games, and therefore both gamers in group 1 and 2 could still feel either outraged (not going to deal with a company that support this behaviour) or scared (a company that support this kind of behaviour might get blocked).
Then, by that interpretation, doesn't that mean GOG already dug it's grave? it'd be like calling a dietitian mid heard attack asking for help, so to speak. May as well finish your hamburger waiting for the ambulance.
McMicroDonalds: Is GOG not interested in competing at all.
Many of us have been asking that exact question for a few years now... it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. I mean they probably are, but are too incompetent to figure out how to compete anymore.
low rated
amok: not sure, as it can still be seen as a company that support these kinds of games, and therefore both gamers in group 1 and 2 could still feel either outraged (not going to deal with a company that support this behaviour) or scared (a company that support this kind of behaviour might get blocked).
kohlrak: Then, by that interpretation, doesn't that mean GOG already dug it's grave? it'd be like calling a dietitian mid heard attack asking for help, so to speak. May as well finish your hamburger waiting for the ambulance.
in what way? i do not understand. all i said was that I think thay it was the best option for gOg to do, if they would like to continue having the goodwill of a segemtn of the Chinese market, and still trying to not get blocked as well. so i do not see how this is "dug their own grave". I do not see much more options gOg could have done there, if they wanted to maintain tghe (low key, and non offical) Chinese market. The main mistake gOg did was drawing attention to the game on Chinese twitter, that was rather silly. so it is more a consequence of that silly move.
Aplomado: Have any of the angry "many gamers" posted on any of these threads supporting banning the game???

I have no doubt the Chinese government threatened to cut off GOG from the Chinese market if they did not dump the game.
There have been, actually. They have some other interesting opinions, too. As you would imagine, they tend to align with certain ideologies.

kohlrak: Then, by that interpretation, doesn't that mean GOG already dug it's grave? it'd be like calling a dietitian mid heard attack asking for help, so to speak. May as well finish your hamburger waiting for the ambulance.
amok: in what way? i do not understand. all i said was that I think thay it was the best option for gOg to do, if they would like to continue having the goodwill of a segemtn of the Chinese market, and still trying to not get blocked as well. so i do not see how this is "dug their own grave". I do not see much more options gOg could have done there, if they wanted to maintain tghe (low key, and non offical) Chinese market. The main mistake gOg did was drawing attention to the game on Chinese twitter, that was rather silly. so it is more a consequence of that silly move.
At this ponit, is it not too late? Have they not shown support, and are merely "cowards" at this point? Are not the offended parties still offended, or was this actually "good enough" to redeem gog in their eyes?
low rated
Aplomado: Have any of the angry "many gamers" posted on any of these threads supporting banning the game???

kohlrak: There have been, actually. They have some other interesting opinions, too. As you would imagine, they tend to align with certain ideologies.

amok: in what way? i do not understand. all i said was that I think thay it was the best option for gOg to do, if they would like to continue having the goodwill of a segemtn of the Chinese market, and still trying to not get blocked as well. so i do not see how this is "dug their own grave". I do not see much more options gOg could have done there, if they wanted to maintain tghe (low key, and non offical) Chinese market. The main mistake gOg did was drawing attention to the game on Chinese twitter, that was rather silly. so it is more a consequence of that silly move.
kohlrak: At this ponit, is it not too late? Have they not shown support, and are merely "cowards" at this point? Are not the offended parties still offended, or was this actually "good enough" to redeem gog in their eyes?
I am not sure what you are trying to get to here, my point so far, and really my only point, is that it may not be so black and white as the "narrative" presented