It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

BKGaming: While I don't agree with this and I do think GOG needs to fix this as quick as possible. I think some people in this thread are blowing this way out of proportion. The simple fact is GOG probably removes the DRM from most games themselves because devs aren't going to waist the time for old games and without having direct access to the code this is going to be a lot of times tricking the DRM into thinking it's either disabled or that your are complying with the DRM. This will effectively make the game DRM free so long as you make sure issues like this can't happen where the consumer is effected.

GOG mistake here was doing this in a way that the developer could make invalid by simply banning a key. Tricking the DRM is fine but it needs to be a permanent solution.
Tricking the DRM does not equal DRM free and there is no excuse.

Gog are advertising DRM free, clearly this is not the case with this game or FEAR.

That's one big principle to mess with.
DeathDiciple: Well, perhaps they thought it's one time check and didn't pay attention to calling home until the first time invalidation happened. But it certainly isn't 'now' since Ciris confirmed previous cases of deactivation.

Someone make a list of 'GOG games with DRM' please....
Grargar: The first reported invalidation occurred in 2012; the same year that the game was released on GOG.
It was known for that long and left active all along... sorry, I stand corrected, I was foolish enough to disbelieve they'd leave it for so long intentionally.
BKGaming: While I don't agree with this and I do think GOG needs to fix this as quick as possible. I think some people in this thread are blowing this way out of proportion. The simple fact is GOG probably removes the DRM from most games themselves because devs aren't going to waist the time for old games and without having direct access to the code this is going to be a lot of times tricking the DRM into thinking it's either disabled or that your are complying with the DRM. This will effectively make the game DRM free so long as you make sure issues like this can't happen where the consumer is effected.

GOG mistake here was doing this in a way that the developer could make invalid by simply banning a key. Tricking the DRM is fine but it needs to be a permanent solution.
lazydog: Tricking the DRM does not equal DRM free and there is no excuse.

Gog are advertising DRM free, clearly this is not the case with this game or FEAR.

Then many games would probably end up not being sold here, disabling DRM takes time and it's time devs won't waist on old games. GOG however says they will do this themselves and make the games compatible with new OS's. In most cases completely getting rid of the DRM won't happen without direct access to the code and GOG wouldn't have that in most cases.

I willing to bet there are many games on GOG where the DRM is simply tricked into believing it's either disabled or that your complying with it, & you won't ever know if it's done right.

EDIT:

Also I'd argue that this does indeed neutralize the DRM if done right and because of that the games are DRM free. Yes the DRM files might still be there, but if they have no effect on the games operation then it really doesn't matter.
Post edited June 27, 2015 by BKGaming
lazydog: Tricking the DRM does not equal DRM free and there is no excuse.

BKGaming: Then many games would probably end up not being sold here, disabling DRM takes time and it's time devs won't waist on old games. GOG however says they will do this themselves and make the games compatible with new OS's. In most cases completely getting rid of the DRM won't happen without direct access to the code and GOG wouldn't have that in most cases.

I willing to bet there are many games on GOG where the DRM is simply tricked into believing it's either disabled or that your complying with it, & you won't ever know if it's done right.

EDIT:

Also I'd argue that this does indeed neutralize the DRM if done right and because of that the games are DRM free. Yes the DRM files might still be there, but if they have no effect on the games operation then it really doesn't matter.
I appreciate what you are saying.

But who cares if many games are not sold here? DRM free is just that. If a game doesn't meet that requirement it should simply not be here.

If we are now obliged to individually check whether or not Gog has taken artistic license with what is and what is not DRM then it will become just another distribution service with the added bonus that their core principle amounts to nothing. Tricking again? I hope you see my point.
monkeydelarge: GOG decides not to sell Hatred and now this? What is happening to GOG...
Grargar: If by now, you mean 2012...
What do you mean? GOG started selling the game in 2012?
Post edited June 27, 2015 by monkeydelarge
monkeydelarge: What do you mean? GOG started selling the game in 2012?
The game was released in Summer 2012 and its DRM problems have existed ever since November 2012. It's only now that SirPrimalForm raised the issue, that more people are aware of the game's DRM.
lazydog: But who cares if many games are not sold here?
That's the case already.
And they already are just another distribution service whose principles amount to nothing.
The only core principle they have left is DRM-free which apparently is a bit questionable as well ;)
lazydog: I appreciate what you are saying.
Thank you.

lazydog: But who cares if many games are not sold here? DRM free is just that. If a game doesn't meet that requirement it should simply not be here.
The store would probably not survive then. DRM Free is like DRM, there is not clear cut definition. GOG says, "DRM free means no copy protection, online checks or any other annoyances". This is true even with tricking the DRM and leaving the files intact, so as I said the issue is here is not what they did but how they did it. They make it clear on there homepage what DRM Free means to them.

lazydog: If we are now obliged to individually check whether or not Gog has taken artistic license with what is and what is not DRM then it will become just another distribution service with the added bonus that their core principle amounts to nothing. Tricking again? I hope you see my point.
As I said in most cases you wouldn't even know, this is clearly not something they would like to happen. Neutralized DRM is way way better than active DRM any day of the week so long as it permanent and and it does not go against their core principle, see above. I see your point, I just don't agree with it. :P
Grargar: The game was released in Summer 2012 and its DRM problems have existed ever since November 2012. It's only now that SirPrimalForm raised the issue, that more people are aware of the game's DRM.
Actually, someone raised the issue a few weeks back. I investigated it decided to write to support to try and get it fixed. I've only now publicly complained after getting a complete lack of acknowledgement of the problem from support.
SirPrimalform: Actually, someone raised the issue a few weeks back. I investigated it decided to write to support to try and get it fixed. I've only now publicly complained after getting a complete lack of acknowledgement of the problem from support.
Earlier than the time you bought Defcon or at the same time?
Grargar: The game was released in Summer 2012 and its DRM problems have existed ever since November 2012. It's only now that SirPrimalForm raised the issue, that more people are aware of the game's DRM.
SirPrimalform: Actually, someone raised the issue a few weeks back. I investigated it decided to write to support to try and get it fixed. I've only now publicly complained after getting a complete lack of acknowledgement of the problem from support.
Have you by chance checked their other games? Just curios...
monkeydelarge: GOG decides not to sell Hatred and now this? What is happening to GOG...
Please tell me you're kidding...
Grargar: Earlier than the time you bought Defcon or at the same time?
It was during the sale and I actually ended up buying DEFCON in order to investigate, I wrote to support once I'd worked out exactly was going on. After getting the email quoted in the OP I asked for a refund (that's the entirety of the email I got by the way, minus the "Hi" and the support guy's name).
Post edited June 27, 2015 by SirPrimalform
BKGaming: Have you by chance checked their other games? Just curios...
I am in a good position to start checking other games.

I have recently reformatted in preparation for a Linux installation and still have a clean system. All my Gog purchases are backed up and I fully intend on trying them all out one at a time whilst carefully monitoring which games attempt to connect to where. It might take some time though.

I can guarantee you that I know of a few already, but will not name them till I have proof. Some of course may well be nothing to worry about, as the example I gave earlier regarding uplink was since proved to be harmless.

On a wider note, I definitely think it is worthwhile creating a dedicated thread on Gog detailing the results of all this.

A list of Gog games that are not strictly DRM free may well give Gog pause for thought.
Wurzelkraft: Doesn't Multiwinia work the same? They are not the only games with serials of course but I think these are the only games that call home.
In my experience, everything indicates that everyone who bought Multiwinia here has a different cd-key used to play in multiplayer mode.
If that wasn't the case (i.e. everyone had the same key), it would mean that nobody would be able to play in multiplayer which we would have heard of by now. Moreover, as far as I remember it doesn't 'phone home' when you play online but I wouldn't bet on that.
Point is : yes there is a cd key for multiplayer, but no it's isn't a 'universal workaround that got kaput' like in DEFCON.
Post edited June 27, 2015 by Potzato
lazydog: I can guarantee you that I know of a few already, but will not name them till I have proof. Some of course may well be nothing to worry about, as the example I gave earlier regarding uplink was since proved to be harmless.
How can I tell if they are nothing to worry about? The reason I ask is that currently I've got seven games from GOG installed that try to connect to somewhere, luckily I get a firewall warning and so I blocked them all straight away and have not allowed them any access at all. They seem to work OK without internet access but I've always wondered at this behaviour and how to tell if it is innocent or not.