It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Painted_Doll: The game would be a financial failure without the voice actors . They will sell the game not the style or the puzzles .
You know this having played the game, I assume?
jefequeso: You know this having played the game, I assume?
As i posted in the other thread : i'm sorry if i sound so negative .
Post edited January 20, 2016 by Painted_Doll
misteryo: No one's curating can be perfect. There will be hits and misses no matter what your criteria. The only real question is: Is GOG turning a profit and growing? If they are, then they are succeeding. I'm sure, just as in any company, they are constantly measuring their actual sales against the number they used for their decision-making. And over time they adjust their negotiations to maximize successes.

I don't think transparency will help them get better. It will just mean hiring more people whose sole job is to apologize to disappointed forum-goers.

I also don't think it would help them to change their mission to being an archive or repository of DRM-free versions of every game possible. That would be catering to a niche group, and I cannot see it increasing profits.
They seem to be able to keep a steady stream of interesting releases without any financial issues (that we know of).

Growing, though? I don't know that there's been any evidence of that, and I'm not even sure that's their goal. Otherwise I'd expect you'd see them going for bigger "mainstream" releases instead of what they've been doing. I mean, as a developer it irks me that they don't seem to have any interest in reaching out to small indies, but I have to admit that they've continued to cater to their niche market quite well.

What do I know, though, I don't run a distribution service. It just seems to me that their actions seem to imply a desire to remain small and niche, even with the whole "DRM-free Revolution" mantra. Which, as a customer, I'd actually much prefer to them being a Steam competitior.
but you know what there may be an actual immediate thing to be looked here in their messaging to the community. nobody likes rejection and gog, when compared to Steam, is basically like a giant rejection machine.

I think they need to reevaluate carefully their messaging to indies.

instead of whatever the fuck it is they're saying now which is building this consensus of resentment, disdain, and animosity they need to start saying things like "sorry but the [game][deal] just doesn't work on our end right now in terms slotting into place with the other things we're running and working on right now. perhaps time and luck will be more favourable next time.

sexy and french and thinking of you,

guillaume rambourg"

or something along those lines.
johnnygoging:
Sorry, I completely misread your post :P
Post edited January 20, 2016 by jefequeso
johnnygoging: but you know what there may be an actual immediate thing to be looked here in their messaging to the community. nobody likes rejection and gog, when compared to Steam, is basically like a giant rejection machine.

I think they need to reevaluate carefully their messaging to indies.

instead of whatever the fuck it is they're saying now which is building this consensus of resentment, disdain, and animosity they need to start saying things like "sorry but the [game][deal] just doesn't work on our end right now in terms slotting into place with the other things we're running and working on right now. perhaps time and luck will be more favourable next time.

sexy and french and thinking of you,

guillaume rambourg"

or something along those lines.
"Consensus of animosity?" That has yet to be demonstrated.

And nobody knows what exactly they are saying when they "reject" a game.
johnnygoging: instead of whatever the fuck it is they're saying now which is building this consensus of resentment, disdain, and animosity they need to start saying things like "sorry but the [game][deal] just doesn't work on our end right now in terms slotting into place with the other things we're running and working on right now. perhaps time and luck will be more favourable next time.
It wouldn't help much now. They denied so many games that they already have an existing bad reputation between indies. Big publishers are a different thing though. There they can't say no.
johnnygoging: instead of whatever the fuck it is they're saying now which is building this consensus of resentment, disdain, and animosity they need to start saying things like "sorry but the [game][deal] just doesn't work on our end right now in terms slotting into place with the other things we're running and working on right now. perhaps time and luck will be more favourable next time.
Matruchus: It wouldn't help much now. They denied so many games that they already have an existing bad reputation between indies. Big publishers are a different thing though. There they can't say no.
If they open the floodgates they will be vilify by their customers for flooding the catalog with crap like steam. If they do not some games are bound to be missed and be vilify by indies and a small number of customers as show in the number of wishlist.

Dam if you do, Dam if you don't. So GoG choose the path of less damnation.
Matruchus: It wouldn't help much now. They denied so many games that they already have an existing bad reputation between indies. Big publishers are a different thing though. There they can't say no.
Gnostic: If they open the floodgates they will be vilify by their customers for flooding the catalog with crap like steam.
You very well know they can't do that. Ultimately cause of the way how they release their games aka support on all windows versions which means them working on every game. Already this makes opening the floodgates impossible. All they need to do is to broaden a bit a spectrum of what they release besides the usual games you can expect here when you look at Steam release schedule. Eitherway still hoping to see Arcen games (irony that its an existing gog developer) new game Starward Rogue here one day even if it was declined.
Post edited January 21, 2016 by Matruchus
From the developer of Pony Island:

"I don't have an account on GOG so maybe you can quote me on this:

I work with a publisher for the non-Steam stores and I expected before release that they would be able to get me on GOG. Recently they informed me that GOG rejected my submission (I do not know on what grounds) and that they were going to try re-submitting. I trust the publisher. They have gotten the game on almost every other store so I don't think the issue is with their submission. I am going to remove the GOG button from the website for now to avoid further confusion.

If I were to release on GOG, it would be with a DRM-free version only. This is mostly because the work required to integrate the Galaxy API doesn't seem worth it when GOG users don't want it."

Vote: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/pony_island
Post edited January 22, 2016 by Barry_Woodward
Barry_Woodward: From the developer of Pony Island:

"I don't have an account on GOG so maybe you can quote me on this:

I work with a publisher for the non-Steam stores and I expected before release that they would be able to get me on GOG. Recently they informed me that GOG rejected my submission (I do not know on what grounds) and that they were going to try re-submitting. I trust the publisher. They have gotten the game on almost every other store so I don't think the issue is with their submission. I am going to remove the GOG button from the website for now to avoid further confusion.

If I were to release on GOG, it would be with a DRM-free version only. This is mostly because the work required to integrate the Galaxy API doesn't seem worth it when GOG users don't want it."

Vote: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/pony_island
Voted and sent a message to support about the matter. I really want to try this one and would much prefer to get it here than Humble.
Tekkaman-James: Alas, GOG does not sell The Novelist. It seems like a good fit to GOG's library, so I decided to send a tweet to the developers to ask if there was any chance of this game coming here. Their reply shocked me:

"Unfortunately, no. I reached out to them recently but they felt it was too long since it launched to add it now."
GOG, good old games, that build it's name and reputation on selling games long after their launches, refused game because it is old? LOL
Tekkaman-James: Alas, GOG does not sell The Novelist. It seems like a good fit to GOG's library, so I decided to send a tweet to the developers to ask if there was any chance of this game coming here. Their reply shocked me:

"Unfortunately, no. I reached out to them recently but they felt it was too long since it launched to add it now."
LurtzCZ: GOG, good old games, that build it's name and reputation on selling games long after their launches, refused game because it is old? LOL
Maybe they thought it violated one of the Gs and they just wanted to let him off easy...? *ducks*
I agree. Their phrasing as reported by rejected devs really doesn't matter much. "Too niche" and other oft-used lines are the nice way of saying "we have no interest in selling your game."

Indie devs are famously fragile, so I think the truth would probably do more harm to the gaming community than straight bullshit.
Post edited January 22, 2016 by budejovice
Generally speaking, I don't mind GoG making individual judgements. But I will admit to be occasionally baffled. Starward Rogue is surprising because you already have that developer here. Maybe GoG is unhappy with the sales of AI War but they were late to the party with that game.

But I do think there are two sides to the story...

For example, not mentioned often here...how many of these indie games get bundled in the $1 tier after a fixed period of time? Makes me wonder if GoG rejects some because they fear the product will get devalued while they are still stuck committed to that product's support. How many of the rejected games publishers have a history of cheap bundling?