It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mystral: So I just don't understand why you would purposefully make your game a pixellated mess instead of using a modern engine like Unity.
It's worse: developers make "pixellated mess" on the Unity engine! They think this way they can abuse gamers' nostalgia.
mystral: So I just don't understand why you would purposefully make your game a pixellated mess instead of using a modern engine like Unity.
Alm888: It's worse: developers make "pixellated mess" on the Unity engine! They think this way they can abuse gamers' nostalgia.
I always knew there was something wrong with me. But now that I know I'm just a little abused fad boy that nostalgically thinks he likes messy pixel art graphics, I might be able to get help from my illness. Thank you, dear hipster dudes, for setting me straight.
Post edited August 09, 2017 by rgnrk
rgnrk: I always knew there was something wrong with me. But now that I know I'm just a little abused fad boy that nostalgically thinks he likes messy pixel art graphics, I might be able to get help from my illness. Thank you, dear hipster dudes, for setting me straight.
I hope that chip on your shoulder isn't getting too heavy?
You're free to like "pixel art" (although I really can't understand why), I'm also free to not like it, and to criticize devs for what I feel is a really poor choice. That doesn't make me a hipster.

I just happen to think that once you've worked on the important things in a game (i.e. gameplay, story and world design), you should try to make the packaging as appealing as possible instead of trying to make your game look like old ones.
It's especially stupid in this case considering that the references in the tactical RPG genre are games like Fallout or Baldur's Gate, and they don't have that pixellated look that you find in many great adventure games, for instance.
daveyd: The Iron Oath is a turn-based tactical, dark fantasy RPG that just launched.

Recruit, manage, and embark on missions with a roster of adventurers, testing the limits of their mortality. Every decision made carries weight and can have a minor or major influence on your characters and the world that surrounds them. As you and your guild progress, the world changes dynamically, enabling new storylines to discover and resulting in a unique experience for every playthrough.

Just launched today. Nice 2D pixel art style too. Offering a DRM-free from Humble for $15.
mystral: I'm on the fence about this one. I love tactical RPGs, and the game sounds interesting, but on the other hand, I seriously dislike the whole "pixel art" fad.
If there's one thing I don't feel nostalgic about from the games way back when I started gaming, it's the horrible graphics. So I just don't understand why you would purposefully make your game a pixellated mess instead of using a modern engine like Unity.
I would tend to agree with regarding pixel art in a lot of cases. Definitely not crazy about the deliberately retro, ultra low res pixel art. However in this game's case I think it looks rather nice. I can tell what's going on in the videos / gifs, so it doesn't look like a mess to me.

Of course I'd probably tend to prefer modern 3D graphics in most CRPGs (or at least 2.5 D isometric), but to make a good looking 3D game takes a lot more money than most indie studios can come up with. And I'd love to see more new RPGs made in a Fallout 1 & 2 isometric style but with higher resolutions of course. Not really sure if that would cost more or less than a 2D pixel game.

At any rate, graphics are low priority for me compared to gameplay but I understand why it might be a dealbreaker for some people.
mystral: You're free to like "pixel art" (although I really can't understand why), I'm also free to not like it, and to criticize devs for what I feel is a really poor choice. That doesn't make me a hipster.
No, but the reasons you exposed in your first post...

mystral: If there's one thing I don't feel nostalgic about from the games way back when I started gaming, it's the horrible graphics. So I just don't understand why you would purposefully make your game a pixellated mess instead of using a modern engine like Unity.
...are questionable at best. First, the graphics in this game are nothing like a 'pixellated mess'. On the contrary, I'd say it's pretty good pixel art. I'm not sure when did you exactly start gaming, but I'm positive no game of that era had graphics as good as this one's.

And then, as an example of the antithesis of crappy pixel graphics you propose... the Unity engine. Not Unreal Engine or CryEngine: Unity. The engine that for many has become a synonym to 'crappy asset flip mass-producer'. I know people like rgnrk or myself are probably in a minority, but I'll take 'crappy pixel art' like that of The Iron Oath over those samey pre-rendered models of your average modern 3D game any day of the week.
Post edited August 10, 2017 by muntdefems
muntdefems: ...are questionable at best. First, the graphics in this game are nothing like a 'pixellated mess'. On the contrary, I'd say it's pretty good pixel art. I'm not sure when did you exactly start gaming, but I'm positive no game of that era had graphics as good as this one's.

And then, as an example of the antithesis of crappy pixel graphics you propose... the Unity engine. Not Unreal Engine or CryEngine: Unity. The engine that for many has become a synonym to 'crappy asset flip mass-producer'. I know people like rgnrk or myself are probably in a minority, but I'll take 'crappy pixel art' like that of The Iron Oath over those samey pre-rendered models of your average modern 3D game any day of the week.
Obviously, "pixellated mess" was an exaggeration, but I can't help but think that deliberately making something that looks pixellated is spitting in the face of all those devs that did their best to gradually improve graphics in games.
Even if this obviously looks way better than genuine old games (I started with the Atari ST in the early 90s btw).

As for Unity, I only used that as an example because IIRC that's what the devs for many recent tactical RPGs used. When I used it as an example, I was thinking of graphics like those in Pillars of Eternity, only not as detailed because of the lower budget.
rgnrk: Thank you, dear hipster dudes, for setting me straight.
You are welcome! ^.^
daveyd: However in this game's case I think it looks rather nice. I can tell what's going on in the videos / gifs, so it doesn't look like a mess to me.
It doesn't, IMO. Look at the characters: there are only 2 poses ("male" and "female") for four of them. The second set is just a reskin. This shows that the developers are constrained in resources (which is understandable, considering they are on Kickstarter for money). But no guarantees this approach will not be kept in the final product. Oh, and the saw-edges are everywhere! Either they do not know what alpha-channel is, or forgetting that modern LCD monitors (unlike old CRT TV sets) will not mask those edges with blur, scanlines and de-focusing. see this and this.
I am, personally, fed up with this BS. Why can't we have good pixel-art of the late 4-gen consoles (Mega Drive, Super Famicom) with lots of colors and large sprites? Why should everything be like Atari 2600?!
muntdefems: And then, as an example of the antithesis of crappy pixel graphics you propose... the Unity engine. Not Unreal Engine or CryEngine: Unity. The engine that for many has become a synonym to 'crappy asset flip mass-producer'.
By whoom? Let's not hide behind anonymous authorities. All of the above can be said about any freely available engine. Examples of misuse do not diminish quality projects.
muntdefems: I know people like rgnrk or myself are probably in a minority, but I'll take 'crappy pixel art' like that of The Iron Oath over those samey pre-rendered models of your average modern 3D game any day of the week.
Why chose one when you can have both? ;) This project has extremely high chances of being powered by Unity3D! See platforms: Windows (wrongly attributed as "PC"), Mac, Linux! What other pre-made game engine supports all of this and is affordable to low-lifers? (OK, and is well-known, unlike "Godot Engine" and other obscure projects without any "combat testing" in large projects).
Beyond-Human: Metroidvania Sci-Fi Hack&Slash platformer
( kickstarter.com/projects/865069666/beyond-human-metroidvania-sci-fi-hackandslash-plat/ )

GoG version seems to be planned too, according to the tier descriptions. If it's funded and GoG doesn't reject it that is.

Demo available via itch.io:
domino99.itch.io/beyond-human
I hope, no one put money in the Unsung Story Kickstarter ... https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/a-timeline-of-unsung-story-one-of-the-biggest-kickstarter-failures-ever/
john_hatcher: I hope, no one put money in the Unsung Story Kickstarter ... https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/a-timeline-of-unsung-story-one-of-the-biggest-kickstarter-failures-ever/
I did actually, since I love tactical RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics or Fire Emblem.
I'm quite angry and disappointed with the devs, but well, win some, lose some. As far as I'm concerned Kickstarter is always a gamble, and I got plenty of good and even great games out of the projects I backed, so I'm not too upset about the occasional failure/scam.

That being said, I wish Playdek and other lying devs like them could be held accountable for their bullshit.
PoE2 backers have been e-mailed by Fig about 'backstage access' to a campaign that's being set up for The Good Life, a new game by SWERY (of Deadly Premonition and D4 fame).

Unfortunately, the only supported platforms currently listed are Steam and PS4.
This one is really close to the goal, with just a few days left. I think it's different enough that folks looking for something outside the usual would find it worth checking out.
Not about games but a guy is opening a Gaming Cafe in California,USA

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1190330517/requiem-the-worlds-premier-nerd-cafe/
<span class="bold">Re:Legend</span>

This ambitious project is a cross between Stardew Valley and Monster Rancher. Your hero, which can be one of numerous classes with a variety of weapon specializations, washes up on a verdant island with no memory of their past life. You will need to learn to live off of the land, befriend the locals, catch and raise magical creatures and explore the far-reaches of the island in the hopes of recovering your memories. To sweeten the pot, you don't have to embark on this journey alone as the game allows for up to four players to explore the island's secrets together.

Unfortunately, there is no DRM-Free option here. The game will be available on Steam, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch and will support cross-platform multiplayer as well as LAN play for PC users. The campaign has made almost six times their goal and they have blown through numerous stretch goals with the next one adding a Monster Breeding mechanic. There is only four days left in the campaign, so your time to pledge is limited. If you can overlook the lack of a DRM-Free version, this is definitely a game that has something for every type of gamer.
A KS for the 2nd part of the Celestian Tales trilogy just launched.

Celestian Tales: Old north is available here. I've found it (and the prequel DLC Howl of the Ravager) to be an above average, enjoyable JRPG. Decent story, characters, and art, and far less mindless grindy combat than the typical JRPG. Combat system is actually pretty fun, with a nice variety of special abilities and tactics.
Post edited August 21, 2017 by daveyd