It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ddickinson: Good morning, everyone!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day?
Good morning *big hug* I hope you'll have a wonderful day too :-)
ddickinson: Good morning, everyone!

I hope you are all having a wonderful day?
moonshineshadow: Good morning *big hug* I hope you'll have a wonderful day too :-)
I'm out in the cold for most of the day. Still working on the first greenhouse - the glass fitting can take quite a while, especially on the roof (it's a big greenhouse). It's very windy as well, which makes it a little dangerous, but the worst part is it's a very cold wind. Luckily I'm wrapped up warm.
ddickinson: Good morning, toxicTom!

How are you today? Enjoying the winter weather? :-)
No winter here, rather English weather.

ddickinson: Which would be easily fixed by setting up a cool-down period between creating a thread for new users. They could set it to 30 minutes, or even an hour. How many people make multiple threads at once anyway. It might inconvenience a few, but it would help stop all the spam.
Yes this and maybe a captcha at account creation.
Morning! Finally going home today :) I can't wait!
moonshineshadow: Good morning *big hug* I hope you'll have a wonderful day too :-)
ddickinson: I'm out in the cold for most of the day. Still working on the first greenhouse - the glass fitting can take quite a while, especially on the roof (it's a big greenhouse). It's very windy as well, which makes it a little dangerous, but the worst part is it's a very cold wind. Luckily I'm wrapped up warm.
Urgh ok. I hope that you will be able to finish it soon. And be careful ok? *big long warm hug*

Ghorpm: Morning! Finally going home today :) I can't wait!
Good morning :-) *hug?* Sounds good, it is always nice to come back home. How long were you away?
Post edited January 30, 2015 by moonshineshadow
toxicTom: No winter here, rather English weather.
So nice and Sunny then. ;-)

Have you been getting any snow yet in Germany?

toxicTom: Yes this and maybe a captcha at account creation.
Even just a captcha would help a lot. And they are not that hard to integrate, just a few lines of code. It seems strange that they keep allowing it to go on, especially when it's so easy to fix, or at least to limit.
ddickinson: So nice and Sunny then. ;-)

Have you been getting any snow yet in Germany?
Bleak and rainy :-P
Some regions had/have snow, but here we only had a little bit of it for a few days.

ddickinson: Even just a captcha would help a lot. And they are not that hard to integrate, just a few lines of code. It seems strange that they keep allowing it to go on, especially when it's so easy to fix, or at least to limit.
Well Firek wrote me than they are working on a long term solution, but I think a temporary way to deal with it right now is urgently needed too.
moonshineshadow: Urgh ok. I hope that you will be able to finish it soon. And be careful ok? *big long warm hug*
Sadly this is the first of three we are building. We are trying to get them all done before winter sets in fully. but with my parents being ill, and lots to do elsewhere on the farm, it's quite a challenge. But I don't mind, I just wish the strong winds would calm down for a bit, it's way too cold to be high up and trying to concentrate. My work gloves are not meant for keeping out the cold, so I end up with numb hands.

toxicTom: Well Firek wrote me than they are working on a long term solution, but I think a temporary way to deal with it right now is urgently needed too.
I just hope the long term solution doesn't effect any of the regular users. Would captcha be classed as a short term or long term fix? It does only require a few lines of code, and there are many scripts out there already that GOG could use.
Ghorpm: Morning! Finally going home today :) I can't wait!
moonshineshadow: Good morning :-) *hug?* Sounds good, it is always nice to come back home. How long were you away?
Not that long, since Tuesday. But I've traveled ~4500km in four days and that's a it too much. Plane/train/car, 1 hour long meeting, plane/train/car, another meeting, hotel, sleep, wake up at 6 AM or earlier, repeat.
moonshineshadow: Good morning :-) *hug?* Sounds good, it is always nice to come back home. How long were you away?
Ghorpm: Not that long, since Tuesday. But I've traveled ~4500km in four days and that's a it too much. Plane/train/car, 1 hour long meeting, plane/train/car, another meeting, hotel, sleep, wake up at 6 AM or earlier, repeat.
ok, that sounds really strenuous. No wonder you want to be back home again.
Hi everybody! How are you today? Hope you're fine. :-)
Btw, I'd like your opinion on something: Regarding the Grim Fandango fan art contest, the "honorable mention" prize is quite enticing to me (a $5.99 game? Sign me up!), but not so much the winning prize -I didn't exactly get what is this prize. (Schafer's signature or something?). So, anyways, I thought I'd participate. Problem is, I'm not very good at drawing (which also includes the problem "pretty much everybody else in the contest thread is better at drawing than myself"), so even though I've got a pretty good concept idea of what I could draw (I'm good at thinking up ideas at least!), the execution is a whole other issue. I thought of making a matrioska (russian nesting doll) edition of Manny Calavera-I'd possibly even make the Calavera matrioska opening up to reveal another character of the game (maybe the orange monster thingy...), if it weren't for my bad drawing skills (it's simpler to draw a closed matrioska rather than an opened one...). I drew a very basic edition of what I'm thinking to do in MS Paint and I'd like your opinions on how it looks (because the finished drawing won't be much different in style-I suck at drawing both on the pc and on paper...), and, more importantly, if there's any chance I could possibly win "honorable mention" with this thing (highly unlikely imo, judging by the other entries, but anyways...Funny thing is GOG claims in the thread that drawing skill doesn't matter, but seriously? In a drawing contest, drawing skill matters by default!). Oh well...

tl;dr How does the attachment look like and is there any chance I could win "honorable mention" with something of a similar style?

P.S. I'm asking because making a full-fledged drawing will take quite some time (the basic edition took a bit to make too), and if I'm not going to get something for my effort, it just isn't worth it (I have other things to do, than trying to draw with my horrid drawing skills... For example doing some work or some personal projects or something...)

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help and your opinion.

edit-I had forgotten to actually attach the attachment !!!
Attachments:
Post edited January 30, 2015 by Treasure
ddickinson: I just hope the long term solution doesn't effect any of the regular users. Would captcha be classed as a short term or long term fix? It does only require a few lines of code, and there are many scripts out there already that GOG could use.
Dunno. I have the suspicion that the forum, being one of the oldest parts of the site, has very messy code and the people who wrote it have long left and so nobody dares to make changes to it.

Hey, anyone care to give p1na a "lift"? ;-)
Attachments:
p1ina.jpg (12 Kb)
Post edited January 30, 2015 by toxicTom
Treasure: <snip>
I like the idea, if you can make a nice full-fledged version of it I can't see a reason why you should not have a change when participating. At least that is my opinion :-)
low rated
Treasure: Hi everybody! How are you today? Hope you're fine. :-)
Btw, I'd like your opinion on something: Regarding the Grim Fandango fan art contest, the "honorable mention" prize is quite enticing to me (a $5.99 game? Sign me up!), but not so much the winning prize -I didn't exactly get what is this prize. (Schafer's signature or something?). So, anyways, I thought I'd participate. Problem is, I'm not very good at drawing (which also includes the problem "pretty much everybody else in the contest thread is better at drawing than myself"), so even though I've got a pretty good concept idea of what I could draw (I'm good at thinking up ideas at least!), the execution is a whole other issue. I thought of making a matrioska (russian nesting doll) edition of Manny Calavera-I'd possibly even make the Calavera matrioska opening up to reveal another character of the game (maybe the orange monster thingy...), if it weren't for my bad drawing skills (it's simpler to draw a closed matrioska rather than an opened one...). I drew a very basic edition of what I'm thinking to do in MS Paint and I'd like your opinions on how it looks (because the finished drawing won't be much different in style-I suck at drawing both on the pc and on paper...), and, more importantly, if there's any chance I could possibly win "honorable mention" with this thing (highly unlikely imo, judging by the other entries, but anyways...Funny thing is GOG claims in the thread that drawing skill doesn't matter, but seriously? In a drawing contest, drawing skill matters by default!). Oh well...

tl;dr How does the attachment look like and is there any chance I could win "honorable mention" with something of a similar style?

P.S. I'm asking because making a full-fledged drawing will take quite some time (the basic edition took a bit to make too), and if I'm not going to get something for my effort, it just isn't worth it (I have other things to do, than trying to draw with my horrid drawing skills... For example doing some work or some personal projects or something...)

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help and your opinion.

edit-I had forgotten to actually attach the attachment !!!
Umm umm,do you wan't an honest answer or pretend to be nice answer???
Treasure: ...
I like the idea of the Matrioska, especially with different characters nested inside. Unfortunately I can't really offer any kind of indication about if you would win, drawing has never really been my strong point, and so neither has drawing competitions. If GOG says that drawing skill doesn't matter, then maybe you could win, but I wouldn't know, maybe someone else has a better idea of what would get and honorary mentions.

I guess it would all depend on if you would enjoy making the image, so that even if you did not win, at least you had fun entering.

toxicTom: Dunno. I have the suspicion that the forum, being one of the oldest parts of the site, has very messy code and the people who wrote it have long left and so nobody dares to make changes to it.

Hey, anyone care to give p1na a "lift"? ;-)
I guess you are right, but still, adding a captcha should not be too hard. I just hope that if they ever do redesign the forum, it doesn't spoil it and ruin this lovely community.