It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

toxicTom: Sounds familiar. I think some Gauntlet clone had that. 20-25 years ago... ;-)
One big difference right off the bat, though - Gauntlet didn't lag down to a crawl when the number of enemies spiked.
CarrionCrow: One big difference right off the bat, though - Gauntlet didn't lag down to a crawl when the number of enemies spiked.
Hehe, no. It rather felt like speeding up even more. :-)

But that's the difference. In those years the games were hand-optimized to stay smooth with hundreds of enemies and missiles on screen. Nowadays there's frameworks that are jack-of-all-trades.

In the one hand those frameworks enable less tech-savvy (or rather autistic...) people to create their visions. On the other hand there is a loss of technical brilliance and a lack of understanding of the artists about the limitations.

This creates the strange situation that current AAA titles often run reasonably well on older hardware because the really good devs are where the money is, while the indies may have a great artistic vision, but lack the technical expertise to optimize. I see it coming that we don't have to upgrade our computers for the latest Crysis, but for some retro-looking indie games that put just too many low-res sprites on the screen ;-)

And again I'm stuck in the Pony game. Made it to advanced options -> old menu -> useless menu, but what the hell can I do there?!

Should go to bed now

*good night hugs*
Post edited February 13, 2016 by toxicTom
toxicTom: Should go to bed now

*good night hugs*
Good night Tom, sleep well.
EndreWhiteMane: Good night Tom, sleep well.
You too!, well, half a world later ;-)
This is possibly a blasphemy but I sure wish Humble had a PC download client or better email notifications..
Keeping stuff up to date is a humongous pain in the butt.
toxicTom:
Very, very true. The skill of building something piece by piece, working within heavy limitations and getting the very best possible out of the process, those abilities are becoming a lot more rare than they used to be.
Guess that's the trade-off - accessibility at the cost of refinement.

Have a good night, sleep well when you get there. =)
How's the "Big Red Eye Guy" this evening? Does Undertale look like a game you would play/enjoy?
EndreWhiteMane: How's the "Big Red Eye Guy" this evening? Does Undertale look like a game you would play/enjoy?
Can't complain here, aside from the stupid dozing off.

I'll get that one at some point, but I'm already up to my eyeballs in games. Taking a break from buying anything else for a while.

How's your night going?
EndreWhiteMane: How's the "Big Red Eye Guy" this evening? Does Undertale look like a game you would play/enjoy?
CarrionCrow: Can't complain here, aside from the stupid dozing off.

I'll get that one at some point, but I'm already up to my eyeballs in games. Taking a break from buying anything else for a while.

How's your night going?
Doing OK here, hurting a lot but hopefully things will get better over the next few weeks.
Trying to get all my games updated, what a pain.
EndreWhiteMane: Doing OK here, hurting a lot but hopefully things will get better over the next few weeks.
Trying to get all my games updated, what a pain.
I hope so, You can be in good shape, feel better, all that stuff that can make a person say "Yeahhhhhh, right" in regards to those things actually happening for them.

-laughs- Sounds familiar. Sitting on 75 gigs of stuff to shove in the external between all the patches, new installer versions and the last 8 to 10 games I've grabbed from GOG.
Post edited February 13, 2016 by CarrionCrow
CarrionCrow: I .
Have you tried Legends of Eisenwald yet? If yes how is it?
CarrionCrow: I .
trentonlf: Have you tried Legends of Eisenwald yet? If yes how is it?
No, not yet. Got sidetracked with other stuff. But I can give it a try at some point tonight, see how it is.
CarrionCrow: No, not yet. Got sidetracked with other stuff. But I can give it a try at some point tonight, see how it is.
Thanks Crow, I appreciate you.You are truly an awesome person!
trentonlf:
Not a problem, you're welcome. Figure I can put in at least an hour, see how it goes at the beginning.
I got the main game and the extra quest DLC, but not the soundtrack stuff, in case that matters to you.
CarrionCrow: No, not yet. Got sidetracked with other stuff. But I can give it a try at some point tonight, see how it is.
trentonlf: Thanks Crow, I appreciate you.You are truly an awesome person!
I have no idea what's going on here, but I'll take that as a green flag to mass uprate CarrionCrow.