It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Show off your (old) gear, win shiny new (ROCCAT) gear!

As you know, the GOG.com catalog spans many titles dating back as far as 1980 (, we're looking at you!), in times when computers kind of looked like modern-day [url=http://prepare.icttrends.com/images/2012/06/IBM_PC.jpg]microwaves sat on top of a console, and the first portable computer, the Osborne I, was put on the market in all the glory of its 24 pounds of weight and a steep $1,795 price tag.

We don't expect you to have gear that's quite as old, but we are curious as to what treasures you might be keeping in a box stored away in the basement or deep in an attic drawer. So show us your oldest gear and be greatly rewarded with the some of the newest on the market, courtesy of gaming gear creator and producer ROCCAT!

THE RULES:

- Your entry should consist of 1 or 2 pictures of your old gear and a description of up to 100 words telling us what it is, where you got it, what you used it for or any other fond memories you have with it. Maybe it was your first joystick? Maybe an old Atari controller you kept as a memento? We want to hear about it!
- You can only post one entry per person. If you post more, only the first one will be counted.
- You may not edit your post.
- Use your own photos of your own gear - we do know how to do a reverse image search!

Post your entry in the comments below before the deadline - you have a week, until March 6th, at 1:59 PM GMT. We aim to judge your entries and pick winners by Thursday, March 12th - we'll announce them in the contest forum thread and via PM to the winners themselves.

THE PRIZES:

1st place prize: a ROCCAT Isku, gaming keyboard with blue-tinted illumination, secondary programmable Shift function, and Thumbster Macro Keys below the spacebar to maximise gaming effectiveness

2nd place prize: a ROCCAT Savu, mid-size hybrid gaming mouse with an adjustable, 400-4000 DPI optical sensor, secondary programmable function, customizable illumination, and a powerful driver suite

3rd place prize: a ROCCAT Sense, mousepad with friction-reducing microcrystalline coating for greater mouse speed and precision

All winners will also get GOG.com gift codes to use on games of their choice to test out their new gear!

Honorable mentions: We expect there to be many great-quality entries, so we're reserving the right to give out honorable mentions to all those we find did a brilliant job, but didn't quite make the podium cut. They'll get GOG.com gift codes to use on titles available in our catalog.

Should you be one of our top three winners, we will need some mailing data (name, address, phone number) to ship your prize to you. If the ROCCAT Marketing Team ends up sending the prizes directly to you, we will need to share your mailing information with them. We will not share it with anyone that doesn't need it!

Please note that this contest is also being held on the French and German GOG.com forum - winners will be chosen, regardless of language, from across all three contest topics. :)
My entry:

This is my Final Fantasy Collection for the PS1 & 2. I'm a big fan of the series and very proud of it. I grew up with the series. The First Final fantasy, number 7 in the series came to Europe in 1997 and in 1998 my brother and I bought a PS1. I was only 11 years old. This sparked my lust for RPGs. I even visited a Final Fantasy concert in Cologne! To this day (J)RPGs will always be my favourite game genre.
Attachments:
My entry!

Some good old stuff ^^
First, "Family Game" + "Sega Genesis" joysticks, and two game that were recently added to GoG hehe.
I got those when i was a kid, used to play a lot with my brother and friends.

Then an old Microsoft Mouse (still working) and an old Pentium MMX 233mhz processor from a pc i used to have.

Finally (sry couldnt get this in 2 pictures) floppy disks with Microsoft Windows, and Flight Simulator, although i dont remember playing that Fligh Simulator.
Attachments:
gog_(1).jpg (430 Kb)
gog_(2).jpg (402 Kb)
gog_(3).jpg (469 Kb)
This is my much loved Amiga 1200 with all its glorious accessories. My dad bought it for the family in the mid 90's as he worked in programming. It wasn't just for him though, we had hundreds of games in the end; it was also the first machine that we ‘dialled up’ onto the internet with. IRC, Aminet and ‘surfing’ - it was mind blowing.

We eventually got a CD drive for it and I bought Myst just before Amiga Format Magazine folded. I feel melancholy for ancient Saturday mornings, without a care in the world, playing Street Fighter 2.
Attachments:
I would love to show you my entry, but its region locked and only available in Antarctica. :/
My favourite piece of old gear is still in use:

[url=]http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/windebieste/KeyboardCenterpiece.jpg[/url]

I've had this robust old keyboard for over 20 years now and it has outlived multiple generations of all my other hardware. I've played all my games on it and it also survived the recent rigorous pummeling during my playthroughs of both 'Dark Souls' and 'Dark Souls 2'.

Nope. Not interested in replacing it - but a 2nd keyboard doesn't go astray, either.

They don't make 'em like they used to, huh.

-Windebieste.
This is a V-tech prestige computer I was given as a kid back win the early 90s when I wanted a computer.
Of course being a kid I was tricked, but I ended up playing the educ-tainment games on it, and it still works even today(Just need to find the power supply).
Check it out! it has a handle bar to be portable, a cartridge slot, it even came with a mouse pad, and this was back before laser mouse existed so we had the ball tracker. It spoke french too.
Attachments:
I'm afraid the oldest gear is long gone, but I can show off the gear that I use every day, as my friends has sometimes stated that my gear is outdated :P

The keyboard is excellent. The best one I've ever had. Membrane and PS/2 of course. The black stain by the Escape-key is melted licorice. A groove has also formed on the left Shift-key after hundreds of gaming-hours. I got the mouse and the mousepad free from a friend when he upgraded. Both the mousepad and the mouse are also excellent. Everyone had a Logitech GX518 back in the days, and many still do, it's a very good mouse. The headset is Creative Fatal1ty, which is slightly old. It was cheap, and it gets the job done.
Attachments:
themouse.jpg (231 Kb)
You guys have cool stuff. It's amazing what people hang on to - what they consider valuable. How ephemeral so many of the things we cherish really are. The World is becoming even more ephemeral. Digital technology is so finicky, it's got be be perfect in order to work.

For example, It amazes me how so many people walk around with cameras in their pockets, take snapshots of everything you can think of but never make back ups of those images. The life of those photos becomes susceptible to the life of the phone they used to take them. Once gone, those hundreds of images are lost. Forever.

I constantly back up my personal items of that nature. It takes no effort to burn a bunch of images onto DVD's and write a description and date on the disc. They're unique in ways that nothing else can be. Even 20 year old computer hardware like my keyboard posted above can be replaced but if you lose your phone, then that wedding or that holiday or that party or that car you saw once only is gone forever.

We have funny ways of valuing stuff over more precious unique moments in our lives. Odd creatures, we Humans, huh.

Oh, and while I'm at it... can we have a 'preview' option to make sure that links in posts work? That would be nice. I can't edit my post above due to the rules, so if you're interested in seeing my old KB in use just copy and paste that link above into your browser.

Yep. dat's mah ol' keyboard - and I'm using right now. lol.

-Windebieste
Post edited February 28, 2015 by Windebieste
I bought this Raiden Fighters cabinet years ago from a local college and my father and I made a trip after work to go get it. Was a great little road trip I'll always remember. I'd get up every morning before work and play a few games while I finished up my coffee, man I miss it.

Sadly, it was one of the first things to go when I lost my job and things took a turn for the worse. The PC port of Raiden Fighters doesn't even work all that great so I'm still missing out. For a time though I got to fly the hostile skies every morning in my judge spear and bomb the baddies, (not to mention blow the minds of anyone delivering something to the front door). I'm glad I managed to snap at least one picture of it.
Attachments:
rfcab.jpg (83 Kb)
The Thustmaster FragMaster belonged to my dad. He got it for flight simulators, but it hurt more than it helped so it mostly just gathered dust on his desk. I was always fascinated with the design though, so I kept it.

The AppleDesign keyboard and AppleDesktop Bus Mouse II are from my early adventure-game playing days. The mouse has a faint outline of my palm from all of the point-clicking. I still associate the hollow CLUNK noise with adventure games.
Attachments:
Sadly, like many who have posted, all my old tech has gone now-to better homes. My oldest home computer, long gone, was a Vic20, I even had the sister board allowing a whopping extra 16K.

The oldest tech I still own, whilst fairly recent (96), I will post up anyway as I think it is in the spirit of the thread (an older risc chip) and I have enjoyed seeing others old gems.

My novag, bought for me as a present, it still regularly kicks my ass. It was given to me as a replacement for an old commodore chess mate, which believe it or not, had the main wiring bitten through by a pet rabbit.

The second image, which may not really count, hey who cares it is still my oldest tech still in use, is a howling wolf album, an original mono release 1958. Very dear to my heart and still played.
Attachments:
031.jpg (363 Kb)
033.jpg (186 Kb)
I've had this PS/2 keyboard since 1988, and still use it. For a few years I tried replacing it with a modern USB keyboard with all those fancy Windows keys and stuff, but finding that they all break within two years, I returned to this indestructible 27 year old Digital Equipment Corporation PCXAL-CA keyboard.
Attachments:
Post edited February 28, 2015 by fisk0
fisk0: I've had this PS/2 keyboard since 1988, and still use it. For a few years I tried replacing it with a modern USB keyboard with all those fancy Windows keys and stuff, but finding that they all break within two years, I returned to this indestructible 27 year old Digital Equipment Corporation PCXAL-CA keyboard.
Stuff is designed now to break very quicking, to increase the amount of total sales.
I'm sure many companies have actual R&D devoted solely to "planned obsolescence".

Heck, my socks and under garments deteriorate within one month. I am the person furthest away from being active.
(I'm bed ridden most of the time, and I'm maybe on my feet an hour a day, except days I need to leave house and do chores).
Haha... yeah. I swear by my old keyboard. This thing will out live me, I'm sure of it.
Behold Gentlemen, the Wizzard Darvond's entry into this fine contest! Below you shall see attachments to two obscure computers from a strange corner of the computing world! One is a clone, the other is a rebranding! The story isn't too much, as they were simply fished out of a church basement during refurbishment. What interests me more, is the hardware. They're running very early versions of DOS. And failing that, you can fall back onto something more amazing, CP/M-88! I'd love to see what software runs on the AT&T PC, but it turns out to be quite hard to run a PC that doesn't have a standard VGA out. I'll be providing a non-contest picture of said port for the general public.

However, in lieu of dealing with GOG's tiny file size limit, I will instead be opting to upload to deviantArt's St.ash system. And here is the link to that.
Attachments: