It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.

We came up with Fair Price Package (FPP) as a way to make up the price difference between various countries. Some games on GOG.COM have regional pricing, meaning the price of the same game in one place can be higher compared to its price in North America. In countries where the game is more expensive, we give users the equivalent of the price difference in GOG Wallet funds. In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.

In the past, we were able to cover these extra costs from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.

Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated classic games and new releases. All DRM-free.

We wanted to make sure you have some lead time to still benefit from the Fair Price Package. The program will last until the 31st of March, 2019, so if you would like to take advantage of it, now is the time. The funds you gather from the program will keep the 12 months expiration date from the moment you’ve been granted your last funds.
high rated
First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.

EDIT: pinned
Post edited February 26, 2019 by elcook
drevo2: “We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing.”

:-/
DRM-free next?
Tbf, if they put DRM in, we'll just return to Steam, there will be absolutely no reason to shop here. It's still another bad precedent.
elcook: But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.
Oh crap!

I just noticed this.

Bring in the lube.

https://gph.is/1ZX3elX
Post edited February 27, 2019 by trusteft
It is what is is. I can't say i take this news lightly but i fully understand the reasons behind it.

As always, you have my support. And dagger.
Keep up the good fight.
elcook: But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.
trusteft: Oh crap!

I just noticed this.

Bring in the lube.

Goodness. It's not that kind of exciting things! o _ o
Okay, GOG, but if you take away something from us, you could give something in return...

How about relaxing your curation pickiness so that many indie small gems or even the bloody Cave shmups you refused can eventually come here?

...pretty please?
This had always struck me as an overly nice gesture and left me scratching my head how GOG could afford to do this.
Considering GOG was the only store that did this and I bought games from pretty much all the stores out there, this isn't something that I'm going to miss too much. But it was a nice little extra, so thank you for keeping it up all this time.
high rated
trusteft: Oh crap!

I just noticed this.

Bring in the lube.

Toshi.703: Goodness. It's not that kind of exciting things! o _ o
We have some intel that many GOG users will be happy about it ;)
Toshi.703: Goodness. It's not that kind of exciting things! o _ o
elcook: We have some intel that many GOG users will be happy about it ;)
HAPPY ABOUT WHAT... ABOUT WHAT MAN.

Side Note: Is it about GOG Direct... surprise... we know man, we know.
IFW: This will just force people to use VPNs for buying some games with extreme price differences, not to mention make GOG sales actually lucrative for arbitration (buy via VPN resell slightly higher, or worse buy with stolen credit card) - a "business" that mainly affected Steam etc. so far.
You can buy at the regional price level only for yourself, on your account, on your games library.
But when you check the "buy as gift" checkbox the regional price automatically changes to the normal higher USD price so there's no profit to be made if trying to resell the gift key.
So no, there's no danger in using vpns for trying to make a profit from key reselling.

Mr.Caine: Praise Epic for making competition something the end user will never see any real benefits from.
epik is not making competition.
competition would be when lowering the cut from ~30% to ~25%
but they're doing ~10%. That is dumping.

Zoidberg: I'll go back to boycott unfair devs/publishers and just torrent their games (if I bother with it at all).
Remember, it is way way way better to just use a vpn to buy from gog at whatever region price you desire than pirating.
there are plenty good and trustful vpns that offer free (credit/debit card free too) trials so that's extremely easily to do.
this way you're still helping and supporting gog and the drmfree cause
Post edited February 27, 2019 by mobutu
So no regional pricing for most countries and now this gets taken away as well? Just because some devs are crying about gog's 30%? You are fucking over customers for dev's plain and simple and I always thought gog was consumer first.
high rated
elcook: We have some intel that many GOG users will be happy about it ;)
BKGaming: HAPPY ABOUT WHAT... ABOUT WHAT MAN.

Be patient, just a bit, please.
No, it's not about GOG Direct to Account - we're literally informing about it all GOG users with the User Agreement update email.
Djaron_paybug: ...
Ok, seems i was on the wrong browser when i posted my message and it ended up being posted with an old unused alternate account of mine* so lets start it again

i would say that i would then revert back doing what i used to do in the earliest days of gog.com, as in "just purchasing the game in $ with my VISA and pay no attention to my home country at all", but i bet now they offer different currencies for paying your orders, such as Euros, they would geolocalize customer's internet IP source to force-apply the UNfair price to the customer, wether he pays in a dollar instead of his own home currency or not...

gog again looses yet another one of the few small arguments it has in his favor to ever convince someone to not go elsewhere...

but this time we can boycott, shame or blame not only the publishers but also the store for bad pricing...

@fonwick strange... i run a computer where galaxy was never installed on, and with both a process monitor and a very tight-set IDS application running all time and i never had offline installers stop before 100% as it happened to you... would you care to ellaborate ( and possibly tell the name of games you experienced that on please ?)

*NOTE: yes, i do have an alternate account, i do know it's against the new forum EULA/TOS or whatever, but it was created way before the community managers constant waltz and change and the whole disastrouse and despicable website's overhaul (website is more than tedious chore level of unusable and painful experience atm)
I did have to create this alt account one summer because there was a gog-side severe bug on my main account that simply prevented me to purchase any game (and there was a huge sales operation at the time) and that even after being warned about it (i was just confirmed the bug was gog-based and was on my account), gog support team litteraly left me 1 full month without any further resolution or followup of my request despite me asking for help... ONE FULL MONTH, so after being fed up with nagging friends of mine to purchase me games and gift them and then refund them, i just created a new account (on which the said bug didnt happened, so) and shop as i intended. If any moderator or community manager or whatever wanna piss me off for having a dupe account, be my guest, then we will talk back about the whole support team together for a nice chat !
elcook: Be patient, just a bit, please.
Being patient is not my strong suit, can we get a ball park when this info might drop? Today? This week? etc.?

elcook: No, it's not about GOG Direct to Account - we're literally informing about it all GOG users with the User Agreement update email.
Lol, I know I was just messing with you a bit. :P
Djaron_paybug: ...
So, second edit/repost of my message, for same reason than earlier

Lukin86: There is still an advantage with the end of the program. the studio will have more money. I also hope that Gog also keeps a small part in the savings done by removing the program.
you would expect said devs studio to make updates and features on par with other stores for customers of their games here, with such a bigger cut... or not !

i can foresee no improvement in the situation of end user/customer who see games disappearing from stores for no reason, devs deciding to simply stop their support for gog build of their games, releasing less updates and less often (if releasing them at all) after the cashgrab, and of course with crippled features...

so, no, publishers, i dont see why i should be punished by paying more money for inferior and unsupported versions of games either... but hey, to each his own, as they say...

btw, trying to read the many messages of the thread but... what's this thing about epic games ? i barely knew they had a store now because of the damned exclusive on rebel galaxy outlaws (which, then, i wont purchase, despite the fact i liked the first game)

Currently, market and industry expect from us players and customers to plague our computers with various clients with all their respective background service/drm enforcing running process: steam, origin, uplay (yuuuurk), epic game shit, galaxy (in some way), and also twitch/amazon and discord (they now have a game store and some timed exclusives...)
Couldn't we just the crap and get rid of all those shit and just have games that run on their own without drm shit ?
low rated
BKGaming: HAPPY ABOUT WHAT... ABOUT WHAT MAN.

elcook: Be patient, just a bit, please.
No, it's not about GOG Direct to Account - we're literally informing about it all GOG users with the User Agreement update email.
A revision to the user agreement that 95% of us never read... why do I have this sinking feeling?

You know what would really get my engine revving? Regional pricing for SE Asia. I'm in a country where purchasing power hovers between a third and a fourth of the US'. Kinda hard to keep justifying paying American prices when Steam is giving me an average 40%-50% off.

Oh, who am I kidding? I can afford it. (But seriously... y'all have at least one Indonesian developer here... might want to make the games more accessible to local buyers).