It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

On March 31st we are going to discontinue the Fair Price Package program. Let us explain the reasoning behind this decision.

We came up with Fair Price Package (FPP) as a way to make up the price difference between various countries. Some games on GOG.COM have regional pricing, meaning the price of the same game in one place can be higher compared to its price in North America. In countries where the game is more expensive, we give users the equivalent of the price difference in GOG Wallet funds. In actual numbers, on average, we give users back 12% of the game price from our own pocket. In some cases, this number can reach as high as 37%.

In the past, we were able to cover these extra costs from our cut and still turn a small profit. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore. With an increasing share paid to developers, our cut gets smaller. However, we look at it, at the end of the day we are a store and need to make sure we sell games without a loss.

Removing FPP is not a decision we make lightly, but by making this change, we will be able to offer better conditions to game creators, which — in turn — will allow us to offer you more curated classic games and new releases. All DRM-free.

We wanted to make sure you have some lead time to still benefit from the Fair Price Package. The program will last until the 31st of March, 2019, so if you would like to take advantage of it, now is the time. The funds you gather from the program will keep the 12 months expiration date from the moment you’ve been granted your last funds.
high rated
First of all, thank you for your support. This was not an easy decision to discontinue the FPP program and we're grateful to you for understanding the reasons behind it. We see that quite a few of you raised concerns about GOG's future. As a part of publicly traded company, we can't comment on any financial results until they are officially reported, but we want to ensure you everything is good with GOG. Being part of a big gaming company, some reports - especially some given by significant media outlets - can often sound much scarier than reality.

You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.

But don’t worry, all is good, and we have a great plan for the future of GOG. We can’t wait for you to see some of the exciting things we have coming very soon.

EDIT: pinned
Post edited February 26, 2019 by elcook
low rated
Coming Next on GOG: The Conclusion of the DRM Free Package.
high rated
Although regional pricing was never good for me and the fair price package was not really helpful, it's still a damn shame it had to go.

That's one pillar that has well and truly crumbled.
Attachments:
Turjake: Coming Next on GOG: The Conclusion of the DRM Free Package.
Something like "instead of DRM free games we bring you free DRM in every game"?
Wow, store wars got their first casualty. But I´ve got to say I´m more exited that GOG can stay then sad about the FPP being killed...
high rated
Turjake: Coming Next on GOG: The Conclusion of the DRM Free Package.
Come on now people. GOG paying you out of their own pockets to even out price differences was nice of them and it's sad that they can't afford to do it it anymore. But you are acting like entitled spoiled brats. DRM free will obviously not go away. Comparing a luxuary thing like this fair price program to the whole reason the store even exists is just stupid.
I, for one, still hate regional pricing. Sorry.

And I still remember this: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/getting_back_to_our_roots
I may sould like a fanboy, but I don't care. GoG is my go-to platform for games and it will stay as it for now. I won't make an Epic Games account (their support is garbage, had one, removed it) nor will I ever buy another game on Steam (their support is also garbage and I completely disagree on their refund policy that works like a smokescreen in cases where Valve doesn't want to give a refund for legitimate reasons after 2h).

Unless I see a change that ginds my gears I am cool with removal of a program that was something completely extra and unseen for almost every other storefront.
How come everybody tends to get fucked, as long as they are outside the USA?
elcook: You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.
"17.3 It seems very unlikely, but if we have to stop providing access to GOG services and GOG content permanently (not because of any breach by you), we will try to give you at least sixty (60) days advance notice by posting a note on www.gog.com and sending an email to every registered users – during that time you should be able to download any GOG content you purchased."

Is "... we will try ..." really a legal obligation?
Post edited February 27, 2019 by surfersurfer
Hm. This is bad news. Might buy games via VPN now more often eventhough you guys dont like it.
But regional price difference is quite huge here for a lot of games.
I welcome this change as a self-protective re-assertion of rights of GOG as a sovereign trading partner. It makes GOG even more respectable in my eyes.

Rationale:
Unless we are talking about explicit fraud (which is not the case here), there is no such thing as a 'fair' or an 'unfair' price. Whatever the seller and buyer both agree on in a 1:1 transaction, is evidently good for both. If it was not, any of them would not enter into transaction and it would not take place. It is not GOG's fault that you feel entitled to any particular service at any particular price. GOG is not your parent, nor your government. If you treat them like they are not in a voluntary relationship with you and have obligations like that, that means you are bringing emotional baggage from forced relationship into this situation and I am sorry, but you have some psychotherapy to do. I accept that on the contrary, this helps GOG adapt to the buyer demographic price segmentation that developers do to drive more effective bargain with markets in different regions. Why should GOG be the one who continues to get shafted here? If my girlfriend kept other dysfunctional relationships in her life, I would not respect her because she does not respect herself and dump her. GOG started to be less like such a girlfriend. They started to assert themselves, possibly for survival.

EDIT:
"If you have sex with me, you should not refuse anyone else on this planet ever, because having standards and self-protection would be terribly unfair and discriminatory. You don't want to be a bad person, right?" This is what you guys are doing to GOG if you support "Fair" price programs like the one that just bit the dust.
Post edited February 27, 2019 by Faklubrejle
elcook: You've been also concerned about your access to the games you’ve purchased on GOG. We've covered this topic years ago and it's been in our User Agreement for a long time (please check the section 17.3). This is not only a legal obligation to you but a core part of our ethics as a company.
surfersurfer: "17.3 It seems very unlikely, but if we have to stop providing access to GOG services and GOG content permanently (not because of any breach by you), we will try to give you at least sixty (60) days advance notice by posting a note on www.gog.com and sending an email to every registered users – during that time you should be able to download any GOG content you purchased."

Is "... we will try ..." really a legal obligation?
If GOG goes belly up, there's no absolute guarantee you'd be able to download anything. That's one of the problems with these digital stores.

And it does sound like GOG is losing to the competition.
I am not happy. I like GOG and prefer you too Steam. I remember the time of universal pricing for all. FPP was a step down from that, but still better than being screwed over because you live in a "rich" country. I am not my country's economy. Far from it, actually. I'll wager this will give rise to key resellers handing out Russian keys to Americans and EU citizens. I don't Browne it'll have the desired effect.
The FPP was always a joke anyway. It was introduced to cover cdpr when they put regional pricing on the witcher 3. "look at us being fair! We're going to charge you literally double the price as elsewhere, but have some store credit, because that's totally like money, right?"

They claimed they 'had to' use regional pricing because their lawyers told them to, a particularly laughable excuse when applied to a country whose government took Apple, Adobe and Microsoft to task for the exact same predatory practices.

I lost all faith in GOG at that time, and have not made a purchase since. There was nothing even remotely 'fair' about any of it.
Know how else you could save a lot of money? Get rid of all the snowflakes in your company that basically contribute nothing while getting offended at everything, be it comments, tweets by other employees, etc.