It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An old-school RPG will arrive on GOG.COM on 15th January 2020. Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls from XSEED Games revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series and adds modernized visuals and sound to the mix.
Enebias: Personally, I totally don't care about the changes in style, whether it is Japanese or not, or anything minus the big question: is it good?
Names are just names. People are so... rabidly attached to details.
The important thing is to know what to expect. If you go in expecting another Wizardry 8 (or 7 or even 6), you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting a dungeon crawler with mechanics similar to Wizardry 1-3, however, you might find it a quite enjoyable game.
dgnfly: Let's stop veering off-topic, But simply cause you to think something is garbage doesn't mean everybody thinks the same. For some reason, a lot here on GOG have this notion that only their taste should be curated to and that they are the ones that get to decide what is taste and what games are quality enough to be here. GOG has a lot of stupid simulator games I think are crap but I wouldn't protest for them to be taken away when some people enjoy them, Same goes for walking simulators which GOG seems to be full of which barely have any gameplay. You seem to think less choice means better games yet GOG has already games here published that would fall under shovelware but those seem to be ok as long as GOG picks those. Unlike most Here I don't marry a Brand neither do I pick their side all I care for is more games in complete form and not missing content. Also, I see many people here requesting games that could be considered shovelware would you deny their choice simply cause you seem to think you know better what quality is?

Then you would also be ok with removing the wishlist cause that's the consumer's voice and right now the 2 games you would deem shovelware are high on it? and as a storefront, you would need to say to your own consumers go somewhere else cause we don't care what you want we decide what you get to play. In your mind that would most likely be really good for business which in reality holds no truth seeing as STEAM allows all and I thriving while GOG who curated and does your notion as what is so-called quality is barely making a profit.

You'd probably be against getting this game here and many others simply cause your own personal bias towards certain games and if they don't fit your criteria of what is deemed quality. Gotta love how full GOG's forum is with self-absorbed people that deem to know what quality is and thinks they are the pinnacle of taste to a point they wanna deny other users their games and fun.

I sometimes think GOG is full of washed-up game journalists that think they know best while the audience walks the other way.
I specifically said I wasn’t talking about this game. I have no issue with this game being sold here or anywhere else. I was commenting on your position that any and all curation is a bad thing, which is nonsense.

I’m not defending gog’s current curation standards, cause I think there are obvious flaws, but the idea that curation is generally a bad thing is utter nonsense. There should be some kind of standard of quality to the products being sold for gog to be able to protect their brand. This is normal business. Do you have any idea how hard it is to convince Walmart to sell your products? It’s the same thing.
low rated
dgnfly: Let's stop veering off-topic, But simply cause you to think something is garbage doesn't mean everybody thinks the same. For some reason, a lot here on GOG have this notion that only their taste should be curated to and that they are the ones that get to decide what is taste and what games are quality enough to be here. GOG has a lot of stupid simulator games I think are crap but I wouldn't protest for them to be taken away when some people enjoy them, Same goes for walking simulators which GOG seems to be full of which barely have any gameplay. You seem to think less choice means better games yet GOG has already games here published that would fall under shovelware but those seem to be ok as long as GOG picks those. Unlike most Here I don't marry a Brand neither do I pick their side all I care for is more games in complete form and not missing content. Also, I see many people here requesting games that could be considered shovelware would you deny their choice simply cause you seem to think you know better what quality is?

Then you would also be ok with removing the wishlist cause that's the consumer's voice and right now the 2 games you would deem shovelware are high on it? and as a storefront, you would need to say to your own consumers go somewhere else cause we don't care what you want we decide what you get to play. In your mind that would most likely be really good for business which in reality holds no truth seeing as STEAM allows all and I thriving while GOG who curated and does your notion as what is so-called quality is barely making a profit.

You'd probably be against getting this game here and many others simply cause your own personal bias towards certain games and if they don't fit your criteria of what is deemed quality. Gotta love how full GOG's forum is with self-absorbed people that deem to know what quality is and thinks they are the pinnacle of taste to a point they wanna deny other users their games and fun.

I sometimes think GOG is full of washed-up game journalists that think they know best while the audience walks the other way.
firstpastthepost: I specifically said I wasn’t talking about this game. I have no issue with this game being sold here or anywhere else. I was commenting on your position that any and all curation is a bad thing, which is nonsense.

I’m not defending gog’s current curation standards, cause I think there are obvious flaws, but the idea that curation is generally a bad thing is utter nonsense. There should be some kind of standard of quality to the products being sold for gog to be able to protect their brand. This is normal business. Do you have any idea how hard it is to convince Walmart to sell your products? It’s the same thing.
Overall it didn't matter if you meant this game or others, in general, you pretty much think Curation is good when it suits your need, while I think no curation would be better overall since I don't See STEAM barely making money with that decision while GOG is barely making a profit with a more close-minded view on which games are and aren't allowed.

Your whole notion of ''curation is good'' is a joke seeing as EPIC does the same yet STEAM doesn't and is still the biggest storefront on the PC.

Sorry but Ali express and other Chinese brands are making more money than Walmart and they sell knock-off garbage and utter junk and are actually very popular in Europe regardless of selling dangerous junk. Not to mention Amazon allows everything and is one of the biggest fucking companies in the world.

Also, the Mods already told way beforehand to stop going off-topic but users like you don't seem to get the hint. I'm actually trying to stop the conversation while people keep dragging it on.

In the end if you don't like GOG's curation now till what point will you be ok with it? Cause then you're being just as selective as they are now. Seeings as their wishlist is already ignored and the only reason people actually don't want hatred and Agony is the subject matter seeing as people even counter the release of Hatred here because they are offended or triggered by that game but seem to ignore it's just an upgraded version of postal and then they deem postal a better game while they are the same.

'This is also for people reading this comment''
''CAN WE ALSO PUT A STOP TO GETTING OFF-TOPIC CAUSE I"M GETTING A BIT TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF CAUSE PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED BY THE NOTION OF NO CURATION!!!!''

In the end, every time people say we want curation they suddenly expect the curation to cater to their taste and if anybody suggests something else and they don't like the game they suddenly wanna act as the gatekeepers.
Post edited January 11, 2020 by dgnfly
dgnfly: 'This is also for people reading this comment''
''CAN WE ALSO PUT A STOP TO GETTING OFF-TOPIC CAUSE I"M GETTING A BIT TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF CAUSE PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED BY THE NOTION OF NO CURATION!!!!''

In the end, every time people say we want curation they suddenly expect the curation to cater to their taste and if anybody suggests something else and they don't like the game they suddenly wanna act as the gatekeepers.
Excellent! I suggest everyone who wants to continue this GOG Wizardry curation topic, please move over to this one and continue this topic there. If you feel like you need to quote something to continue it, just tell the person you're replying to them in this topic and to check it out there (or post the link to the reply).

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/wizardry_labyrinth_of_lost_souls_is_coming_to_steam
Post edited January 12, 2020 by Green_Hilltop
dtgreene:
Cool! I haven't played Wizardry except a little bit the GBC ones, so I forgot you have additional unlockable classes you can't get at character creation. How do the alignments help though? Do you start as neutral, unlike in MM, and you have to work your way towards an alignment, so you can import a party of Ninjas and Lords, for example, which would be impossible at char gen and that's why advantage of importing in the Sir-Tech and Gaiden Wizardry games?

I've thought of starting a Wizardry game lately, you haven't played this one yet, right? Which one would you recommend to start with if I'd like a game that isn't too hardcore (deleting your save/making it permanent when you characters are teleported in stone with no way to fix it) and if I enjoy having various skills and combos (esp. debuffs that work) to experiment with? I prefer having logical, narrative-heavy games where you don't need to do multiple New Game+ playthroughs to get the "real ending" (like in the Dark Spire) and the game concludes normally (so no extra ultra hard dungeons to get some more lore/closure), but the GBC port of Wizardry 1-3 didn't seem to have any story, so I'm not sure if the PC versions have.

Interestingly enough, I've found reviews from back when the game came out and supposedly it wasn't that bad, so let me know how you've enjoyed this one! :) Personally I'm not too much fan of the anime graphics, but at least it's better than having a mix of anime and 80s/realistic graphics like in Elminage Original. That just looks very jarring.
dtgreene:
Green_Hilltop: Cool! I haven't played Wizardry except a little bit the GBC ones, so I forgot you have additional unlockable classes you can't get at character creation. How do the alignments help though? Do you start as neutral, unlike in MM, and you have to work your way towards an alignment, so you can import a party of Ninjas and Lords, for example, which would be impossible at char gen and that's why advantage of importing in the Sir-Tech and Gaiden Wizardry games?

I've thought of starting a Wizardry game lately, you haven't played this one yet, right? Which one would you recommend to start with if I'd like a game that isn't too hardcore (deleting your save/making it permanent when you characters are teleported in stone with no way to fix it) and if I enjoy having various skills and combos (esp. debuffs that work) to experiment with? I prefer having logical, narrative-heavy games where you don't need to do multiple New Game+ playthroughs to get the "real ending" (like in the Dark Spire) and the game concludes normally (so no extra ultra hard dungeons to get some more lore/closure), but the GBC port of Wizardry 1-3 didn't seem to have any story, so I'm not sure if the PC versions have.

Interestingly enough, I've found reviews from back when the game came out and supposedly it wasn't that bad, so let me know how you've enjoyed this one! :) Personally I'm not too much fan of the anime graphics, but at least it's better than having a mix of anime and 80s/realistic graphics like in Elminage Original. That just looks very jarring.
You chose alignment at character creation, but it is possible for it to change during the game. In classic Wizardry, a character's alignment can change between good and evil, but can't change to or from neutral. (Apparently Labyrinth of Lost Souls is an exception.) The main effect of alignment is that certain classes have alignment restrictions, which are enforced when you create a character or change class in town; later alignment changes don't have such restrictions.

Lords and Ninjas are impossible to create in Sir-Tech Wizardry 1-5, though apparently they can be created in some console versions, but with extremely low probabilty (like 0.1% or even less); transferring characters lets you start the later games with one. Also, transferring into computer versions of Wizardry 2 lets you keep your level (and you *need* MALOR, which is a level 7 Mage spell, to get past the first floor). Transferring to Wizardry 3 does not let you keep your alignment if it wouldn't be valid at character creation or class change.

The GBC versions of Wizardry 1-3 have the same amount of story as computer versions do, so if you're looking for story, that would not be a good choice.

I have not played Labyrinth of Lost Souls yet, but if the GOG version works in WINE and on my hardware, I plan on doing so as soon as the game comes out.

Anyway, it sounds like you might be better off checking out the later Sir-Tech Wizardries. Wizardry 8, for example, has status ailments that work and are often more useful than damage spells, and there are plenty of skills (though no combos); just be aware that the Dark Savant trilogy is quite different from the early games and Japanese spin-offs. (For example, Wizardry 8 has no RNG in character creation or leveling up, and you can create any race/class combination at the start, though creating a Lizardman Bishop might not be the best idea.) One drawback of Wizardry 8 is that combats can sometimes take a while.
Looking up videos of the game, I caught an untranslated line in the PS3 version, and wondering if XSEED will catch it.

Basically, if the main character (who you select at the start of the game) is lost, a message will appear in Japanese, and you will get a Game Over screen.

Incidentally, this seems to be the *only* way to get a Game Over; in the case of a party wipe, the main character will wake up back in town, alive.

Wondering if this line will be translated for the PC release, as they must have missed it for the PS3 version. (Anyone want to check the iOS version to see if that happens there?)

(Youtube link of the video that shows this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJ_PU3euPw )
Really glad to see that they reversed the decision. I'll pick it once it releases.
Isn't the advanced class thing pretty standard?

I started out with three advanced classes on my 3DS version of Elminage Original, took forever to change into one on my GOG version of Elminage Gothic.

Console releases tend to let you spam re-rolls and, eventually, get some pretty epic starts. Never had much luck with it on PC releases of similar titles, always had to class into them later on.
dtgreene: Looking up videos of the game, I caught an untranslated line in the PS3 version, and wondering if XSEED will catch it.

Basically, if the main character (who you select at the start of the game) is lost, a message will appear in Japanese, and you will get a Game Over screen.

Incidentally, this seems to be the *only* way to get a Game Over; in the case of a party wipe, the main character will wake up back in town, alive.

Wondering if this line will be translated for the PC release, as they must have missed it for the PS3 version. (Anyone want to check the iOS version to see if that happens there?)

(Youtube link of the video that shows this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWJ_PU3euPw )
Did you check if it's translated for the PC release? :)
dtgreene: Looking up videos of the game, I caught an untranslated line in the PS3 version, and wondering if XSEED will catch it.

Green_Hilltop: Did you check if it's translated for the PC release? :)
No, I have not. Maybe when I feel like it (which might be never) I might try it, however.

If you want to test it for yourself, here is what you do:
* Create a new main character. For this purpose, the ideal main character is an elf with no bonus points spent on Vitality.
* Add one of your regular party members to this character's party. Make sure you have the Restore Body spell (8th level priest spell) on that character.
* Get into a fight, and intentionally let this new main character die. Save afterwords, and do not leave the dungeon.
* Cast Touch of Life or Restore Body on the character. If it succeeds, reload. (Yes, you read that right.) Now that the spell has failed, the character will turn to Ash.
* Cast Restore Body on the character again. (Touch of Life won't work here.) If it succeeds, reload. Now that it has failed, the character will be Lost, and you should get the message that is not translated in the PS3 version, followed by the game over screen (which you probably won't ever see otherwise).

(You can now load your save, return to town, and delete the new main character, as that character is probably in worse state than a newly created character.)